Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q'
    #19389466 - 01/08/14 05:23 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

35.6 gallon tub that I messed up. Got 5" of perlite.

Stupidly used a 3/8" drill tip instead of 1/4". Spaced every 2". (Things always mess up when excited/in a hurry)

Anyone have suggestions? Next in mind was to make a "one row taped, one open" all around but I guess it's futile not knowing if the hygro is way off or not.

Tried putting saran wrap over 3-4 rows of holes all around and it was giving readings of 94% RH and when I completely unwrap it open it, it hovers at 80%'s (according to cheap hygro)

I've got a few trays/cakes/logs I'd like to experiment with (currently 50% colonized):
-2 mini straw logs (2.5" depth, 8" length kinda  brick shaped)
-Straw tray(11" length x 8" width & 2" sub depth)
-2 bar shaped small coco coir trays(2" depth, 6" length x 2" width)
-2 PF cakes that I fruited one flush in bottles, 16 hr dunked and going another flush in this sgfc (so far some new pins are forming)
(I had in mind to

I've got an 80qt backup tub that I'll turn into a sgfc too just in case.

On another note:

I'm going to buy this hygrometer it costs $40. Anyone familiar with this make? Just waiting till I get the money. "synthetic hair hygrometer" as I've seen others recommend.

First time grower, my first flushes from my pf cake bottles gave me an amazing first trip at 25g fresh and now definately in love!:crazy2::mushroom2:

Would appreciate any ideas on how to make this work.

Edited by Watamiseh (01/08/14 05:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: Watamiseh]
    #19389680 - 01/08/14 05:56 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

well noramaly hygro's are not needed for sgfc's, worse case scenario you gotta mist more often

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineVE3HPC
Technician
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: Watamiseh]
    #19389697 - 01/08/14 05:58 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

If you are trying to bring more humidity back to the chamber, why not just take some high quality duct tape or gorilla tape and cut neat squares/circles to patch a few of the holes. Patch like 20 to 30 holes, wait 12 hours, take a reading on the hygrometer. If better reading but still not ideal conditions, patch a few more. Also the digital hygrometers are usually not as accurate as analog versions, just due to the possibility of water vapor condensing on the sensor while at the higher humidity ranges. Analog gauges are slightly more forgiving in this respect, leading to a more accurate reading. Good luck, I wouldn't throw that tub out just because of hole size! That tub actually looks pretty good! I would use it :smile:

--------------------
-"It's all been done before. You're just another brain going through another depression. Accept it, treat it, move on."

Offlinebaldwintpenguin
5 Wolf Pack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle Earth
    #19389711 - 01/08/14 06:00 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Im sure someone on here might disagree with this....but.....just tape up some holes.....Ive used just regular clear packing tape and taped up some, start with maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of your holes and see how it effects humidity and adjust as needed

--------------------

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

OfflineNOTFALL3N
Epic

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: baldwintpenguin]
    #19389752 - 01/08/14 06:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

It will be fine mist and fan more often I'll be fine don't worry!

--------------------

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: NOTFALL3N]
    #19389834 - 01/08/14 06:19 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

3/8 inch holes actually work better than 1/4 holes you just have to mist more but it's more optimal.

Don't listen to these other guys, Taping holes will lower your humidity and fuck your FAE the two things that mushrooms don't want you to do.

Here's my write up on the function of a SGFC, I hope it helps you understand how they work.

Quote:

Fruiting Chamber
A SGFC has 1/4" holes spaces 2 inches apart in a grid patten on all six sides. 4-6 inches of moist perlite. No attachments made to it with any extra things like humidifiers. Optimally the SGFC should be in the middle of a room. No fans should be run in the room with the SGFC, but a cracked window is OK. A humidifier in your house can help to raise the ambient RH but don't put it near your SGFC put it in the other corner of the room if you do decide to run a humidifier at all. The SGFC IMO should have at least 6-12 inches of room from any wall on all 6 sides. This includes finding some sort of raisers to elevate the SGFC off of the surface it's on.

Misting and Fanning.
This is a source of much grief and 100's of posts a week here. Misting and fanning is not at all complicated as it needs to be. In general you'll mist your cakes until they glisten(yes they can even with the verm on them) and then fan right after the mist. You can mist your cakes directly and you should. When you notice the cake is no longer glistening you can mist it again and then fan. This occurs on average of 3-5 times a day. Don't worry about sleeping or being gone 12 hours. Just do it when you're around and don't forget about it is all. Fanning is not FAE it's only purpose is to relive the high RH air so that the cakes can get a kickstart on evaporation.

FAE
This is a phenomenon (Fresh air exchange) in a properly built SGFC this is constantly happening. The perlite is naturally cooler than the surrounding air this moves molecules closer to eachother as the lose kinetic energy. This creates low pressure which pulls air up through the bottom holes. As the air moves through the perlite it picks up humidity and keeps the chamber at or above 90%RH. This occurs naturally without the fanning and is why we like to have no fans in the room and is also why fanning after misting is not a replacement for FAE.

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Fanning is not a replacement for constant FAE.

You would need to fan several times per hour.

:whathesaid:

Edited by Trusted cuItivator (01/08/14 06:21 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19389854 - 01/08/14 06:23 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

As for humidity gauges they're all garbage you need a good expensive one made by fisher scientific in Germany or an analog one for cigar boxes you can calibrate otherwise the readings you're getting are just some numbers.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
I experimented with every hole size possible before settling on 1/4" (6mm).  Best performance was with 3/8" holes, but you have to mist more.  Since most people are lazy I settled on the 1/4" size because in most cases the terrarium can be handled with a misting or two per day.
RR

Quote:

A quick search will reveal that when I designed the shotgun terrarium I was working 12 hour shifts, an hour drive from home.  This resulted in being gone 14 hours per day, with no way to perform fanning or misting.

A double outlet 100 gallon aquarium pump in a shotgun terrarium will result in about ten percent of the air exchange you would get naturally, plus destroy the flow of air up through the perlite, causing all sorts of problems.

Hollow stems and poor potency are not FAE or humidity related, so instead of fixing what isn't broken, lower the temp to prevent hollow stems and isolate proper genetics to get the potency you desire.  You will never get consistent potency when growing from spores.  Every grow is like a roll of the dice.
RR

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: bodhisatta]
    #19389865 - 01/08/14 06:25 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
3/8 inch holes actually work better than 1/4 holes you just have to mist more but it's more optimal.

Don't listen to these other guys,

whatcha talking about! thats exactly what i told him:mad2:
:laugh2:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #19389869 - 01/08/14 06:26 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm going to buy this hygrometer it costs $40. Anyone familiar with this make? Just waiting till I get the money. "synthetic hair hygrometer" as I've seen others recommend.

you're right that that's a better choice than most for hygrometers(the synthetic hair kind) but 40 is pretty cheap. Fischer makes a good one but I'm sure they're more than 50$ easily. Maybe that one is good :shrug:, but you don't need it anyway.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: cronicr]
    #19389878 - 01/08/14 06:28 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Don't listen to these other guys,

whatcha talking about! thats exactly what i told him:mad2:
:laugh2:

I was considering quoting them and pointing them out but I know how people get super butthurt leave 0/5 ratings and bomb your inbox for a week about things done for the common good.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: baldwintpenguin]
    #19389883 - 01/08/14 06:29 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

oh i know all too well lol and so did this guy..he expected it
Quote:

baldwintpenguin said:
Im sure someone on here might disagree with this....

:rockon:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineNOTFALL3N
Epic

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: cronicr]
    #19390173 - 01/08/14 07:39 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Lol

--------------------

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: NOTFALL3N]
    #19390512 - 01/08/14 08:39 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Awesome! :takingnotes: 

Gonna leave it as is and just mist a lot. Heard people mist their sgfc's 1-2x a day so I'd be going for 4x? Guess If looking at the positives FAE and cleanliness is sorted with this setup.

I bet these straw cakes will devour the air... they look like voracious lil f****s. Mycelium is Tearing through the straw and it's only been 2 days!

Since the FC is so large(lots of room for CO2 to dissipate) I could probably get away with taping over a few holes some time down the track if it ends up being problematic

I thought "Dammit, RR can run his sgfc with the lid off and still have 90+ RH while mine doesn't cause of  hole size? :mad2:

The weather here is always 60% humidity on average as well.

"Wetterladen Klimatest 45.2030.50 Synthetic Hair Precision Hygrometer Anthracite"

was the one I had in mind but I'll definately look into tobacco hygros as well for other projects and just to check if things are okay

Cheers lads!

Edited by Watamiseh (01/08/14 08:46 PM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19390564 - 01/08/14 08:50 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

mist when your surface looks dry, theres no real schedule;)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

Edited by cronicr (01/08/14 08:52 PM)

OfflineWatamiseh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#19461045 - 01/23/14 05:47 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Update!

now that I've put a whole bunch of stuff in the SGFC its reading 90%+ on the digital hygrometer. on a rainy day it reads as 96%-99% and now on regular days 86%-92%ish

I'm amazed at how HUGE these mushies are already on straw compared to BRF.

Officially my 2nd grow and 1st for straw! So far I'm so in love with these shrooms I want to hug them :crazy2: :inlove3:

3 mistings a day seem to do it good but I don't fan since i figured this SGFC has massive FAE.

PS these mini straw logs/cakes are propped up on coke cans.

edit: just for shits and giggles I tried a crappy $1 analogue hygrometer in there and it doesn't even go above 80%

Edited by Watamiseh (01/23/14 05:53 AM)

Offlinemonoculture
Mycaddict
Male User Gallery

#19461159 - 01/23/14 07:04 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

With the SGFC that full, be happy you made the holes bigger.
The more you put in, the more co2 is produced.
The humidity will be high enough, especially when mushrooms are growing.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: monoculture]
    #19461215 - 01/23/14 07:25 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

monoculture said:
With the SGFC that full, be happy you made the holes bigger.

:facepalm:

Quote:

monoculture said:
The more you put in, the more co2 is produced.

And the bigger the tub the better the air circulation and exchange of gasses.

Offlinemonoculture
Mycaddict
Male User Gallery

Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: PussyFart]
    #19461257 - 01/23/14 07:38 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Salvaging ruined 35 gallon SGFC, how to tape it? + Hygrometer Q' [Re: monoculture]
    #19461666 - 01/23/14 09:40 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

3 mistings a day seem to do it good but I don't fan since i figured this SGFC has massive FAE.

the fanning is just to remove the mist particles from the air so that the mist that landed on your substrates can evaporate into the relatively dry air. I would still fan after the mist unless you bring you substrate out of the SGFC mist it and then put it back in.

Also RR has mentioned the SGFC works best with 3/8" holes but it requires more maintenance in the misting dept and rehydrating the perlite. He wanted it to be quite maintenance free and low hassle so settled with 1/4" holes which still perform well.

Offlinevikingsc
Mushroom Enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada Flag
    #19462281 - 01/23/14 12:13 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Nice. So the FC is working well as is? Are you having any trouble maintaining humidity or drying of sub?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate