Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

My story...
    #1938550 - 09/21/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey everyone...

Lets see... I've been reading this forum for a while now and it finally ocurred to me... I should start posting! Right then.

Well, this weekend I went to Home Depot, Safeway, etc. and purchased the necessary supplies for mushroom cultivation. I've done a lot of reading on the subject (no excuse, I know), and I have grown mushrooms before (legitimate buttons). I followed the PF substrate formula, but I may have improvised a little too much. I wasn't exactly striving for perfection.

When I mixed the substrate up, it seemed too liquidey, so I added some peat moss to make it a little chunkier, and other things like that. Hopefully, the substrate will be somewhat forgiving.

My parents are clueless... so far. See, they think I'm doing a legitimate operation growing some yellow chanterelles I found in my backyard recently *cough cough*. I suppose my question is, how do I keep my operation secret?

I'm still hesitant to order my spores. I found a spore distributor who looks pretty solid. It's called "SporeBank" and I typed up a little letter along with the $27.00 for the spore syringe and S&H. The letter said something about taxonomy and microscopy something or other. A load of bullshit, of course.

I still haven't sent it away yet. I'm worried that my parents or some other source will intercept it. Even if I DO get the spores safe and sound, how do I keep my cultivation secret? My parents try to get involved in my life on a regular basis, and they both lived through the 70s. They weren't born yesterday.

Any advice? I'd greatly appriciate it. Thanks again.

'Shroom on.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemushroomspoon
out of gas

Loc: in a jar of blue honey
Re: My story... [Re: ]
    #1938606 - 09/21/03 06:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ok well first off think about if you really want to grow an illegal substance in your parents house and examine the risks. If you get busted your parents will probably lose their home. But if you think the risk is worth it then there are a couple ways you can keep the project secret. first of you could look into an in vitro tek which would allow you to fruit the fungus in the jars and that will take a minimal amount of room. or you can just use a large Rubbermaid container and keep that hidden under your bed maybe. I'm not sure if your parents have a tendency to search your room or anything like that. Its really not necessary to send a BS letter to a spore vendor because it is assumed that you are only getting the spores of microscopy use any ways which is the only way the spores can legally be sold. And if you really want success I'd recommend following the pf tek exactly word for word. By adding peat moss to the blend you may have changed the pH and created an ideal environment to grow contams. I am not recommending or encouraging growing illicit fungus in your parents house and I would strongly discourage you in doing so.

--------------------
-----------
herbs are fun

Offlinejakeholman
crotch rocketsrule!

Re: My story... [Re: mushroomspoon]
    #1938622 - 09/21/03 06:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ditto on the growing in your parents house-but i did it, but just for a short time then got out.  i would recommend sporeworks (from expereince they kick ass)  but there are a few other that work fine too, and i hear sporebank is fine.  i got my spores shipped across the border and it ended up and the post office as registered mail and the spores made some amazing shrooms-of course partially from my expertise :wink:.  i dont know if it will end up as registered mail for you but it did for me from sporeworks-and stick to the tek exactly-no matter what tek you are doing- for your first time.  once you get a couple batches under your belt you will have the knowledge to change anything you want, well to a point,  good luck.
Jake H

--------------------
The above statement is fictitious and for entertainment purposes only. I do not use or condone the use of illegal substances, nor do I use or condone the use of legal substances in an illegal manner.

InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: My story... [Re: jakeholman]
    #1938632 - 09/21/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nobody under the age of 18 is supposed to be on these fourms. Sorry. But the best of luck to you. I used to grow in my parents house. But now that I look back it was dumb. Its not worth the risk.

Invisibleb4pro
sk8r
Loc: sk8 park
Re: My story... [Re: MycoCakeEater]
    #1938732 - 09/21/03 07:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you get caught, your parents could get in trouble. Think it through. Is it worth it?

--------------------
I know you think you understand the words I have just said to you but, what you fail to realize is, what you thought I said is not what I actually meant by saying what I said, when I said it.

Anonymous

Re: My story... [Re: b4pro]
    #1938810 - 09/21/03 08:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am 18 actually... I recently turned so. I'm too poor and lazy to find an apartment... Anyway, my parents shouldn't get busted since I am old enough to be tried as an adult. All I was asking for is advice, not some people to preach to me about stuff you did too. Nobody likes a hypocrite, and I'm sure you wouldn't have in my position either. Thanks.

Any other advice? I appriciate all that I've gotten so far.

'Shroom on.

OfflineFungi_x
Firekeeper of OTD
I'm a teapot User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
    #1938936 - 09/21/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Build a tree house in the woods, buy some solar panels, generate your own power and grow your shrooms there.

Invisibleb4pro
sk8r
Loc: sk8 park
    #1938938 - 09/21/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You wouldn't believe some of the people who have asked for advice growing in their parent's house.

I don't mean to parinoy but most people here don't want to help children grow.

That said, I lived with my folks 'till I was 23 and I turned out fine. Good luck.

Mycobags in a box sound like a discrete option. You won't need a grow chamber. PF tek is bigger and messier. You will need at least twice as much space as you would with mycobags.

Your spores won't be intercepted just overpriced. Have them sent to a friend. While you're at it, ask if you can grow at his house.

--------------------
I know you think you understand the words I have just said to you but, what you fail to realize is, what you thought I said is not what I actually meant by saying what I said, when I said it.

Anonymous

Re: My story... [Re: b4pro]
    #1938957 - 09/21/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks B4. Uh, "Fungi X", I like the treehouse idea, really, I do... *cough* but seeing as I am still living with the parents... well, you draw your own conclusion. Sarcasm is a great deal harder to detect on the internet. Ah, well, any other advice is greatly appriciated. Thanks to everyone who has helped out. Feel free to post as thoughts come to you. There is no dumb advice... unless it involves a treehouse or solar panels. Riiight.

'Shroom on.

Anonymous

#1939268 - 09/21/03 11:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone? Anything?

'Shroom on.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
    #1939857 - 09/22/03 04:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

if u really are over 18, rent a p.o box and have your spores
sent there.

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Re: My story... [Re: 40oz]
    #1940137 - 09/22/03 09:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so what are you going to tell them when theyget interested about your chantarelles come harvest time? i don't want to lecture but perhaps you really don't need to be endangering the livelihood of others. wait till you have got your own place and are only putting yourself at risk.
if you insist on going it anyway, i say try P. mexicana sclerotia on rye grass seed.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1940310 - 09/22/03 10:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

When I mixed the substrate up, it seemed too liquidey, so I added some peat moss to make it a little chunkier, and other things like that. Hopefully, the substrate will be somewhat forgiving.

Why are you using peat instead of verm in your substrate? I don't think it's likely that a peat-based substrate will work with the PF Tek. The PF Tek depends on the verm to give the substrate a light, airy quality that the mycelium needs to colonize properly.

By the way, I don't mean to preach, but I think you should be aware that if the law catches you growing, your parents will very likely have their house confiscated. It doesn't matter that you're 18 and they didn't know you were growing, they could still lose their home. It's happened to others, and it could happen to you. You're putting them at risk. Just something to think about.

Good luck...

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Anonymous

Re: My story... [Re: Diploid]
    #1940320 - 09/22/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Jesus, maybe I should have made a thread called "preach to me, I need it". I appriciate all of the advice, but that's all I asked for, not this 'know the law, I'm so wise' stuff. Thanks again, but I know what I'm doing... sort of.

'Shroom on.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1940330 - 09/22/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Alright, no more preaching.  :tongue:

Do you have any specific questions?  I've grown a shroom or two.  I'll help if I can.

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineJulia
hatebreed

Loc: I don't know
    #1940343 - 09/22/03 10:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ah, just tell your parents.  Maybe they'll ask you to share!  :grin:

--------------------
Life's a bitch and then you die, fuck the world let's all get high.

Offlineklippy
Stranger
Re: My story... [Re: Julia]
    #1940794 - 09/22/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Follow the PF Tek to the letter, check the forum when you have questions and do it small scale maybe along with some legit mushrooms, a fruiting chamber for a couple of cakes doesn't have to be large. Use the prelite tek for you chamber, nothing to plug in easier to hide. When you get to it I would definitley recommend dunking.

Anonymous

Re: My story... [Re: klippy]
    #1940980 - 09/22/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys... it seems that the newer members of the Shroomery are a little more open-mided. A little less preachy. Thanks guys. I'll post another topic some time soon. Right, so... if anyone has any advice on how I should start everything out, send, by all means. I've read the PF Tek and stuff... so any personal advice is welcome. Also, if someone could just give me a breif run down on casing... I'd appriciate it. Thanks, all.

'Shroom on.

OfflineBluMonkee
keeper of thelittle people

Loc: Lookin' for an Incident
    #1941417 - 09/22/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think you need more preaching and less "I know what I'm doing...sort of" attitude. You seem to be overly concerned with the fact that someone might "intercept" your spores..why??? You worried about losing your $27 ??? Nice that you are so concerned with that, but seem to show no concern for your parents,who I am sure have worked hard to provide for your "poor and lazy" self (your words,not mine)and provide that home that they CAN very easily lose over your choice not to give a damn  :nonono:     

--------------------
"If I don't see ya' in the future, I'll see ya' in the pasture"

Edited by BluMonkee (09/22/03 03:57 PM)

InvisibleSuperbowl Bob
Re: My story... [Re: BluMonkee]
    #1941469 - 09/22/03 04:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Use mycobags. I got 76 wet grams with mostly two enormous shrooms. I just put the cakes on perlite to grow more, but I could have left them in the bag, like you can.

Buy 4 grain based mycobags (you can get them for $10/ea if you look in the right places), and one B+ syringe ($15 + s/h). Total cost should be about $70 including shipping for everything.

Inject the 4 bags with 1.5cc each, put them in a box, close it, and stick it in your closet for about a month. Check on it to see if there's mycellium growing. Check again every week. When you start to see pins, take them out of the box and let them sit under some light for 12 hours/day. You can probably just open the box top and turn the light on, same thing. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules