Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Political Correctness?
    #1938500 - 09/21/03 08:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

An interesting article. I bet the school admin's at this school
are shitting their pants over this. If they allow the club they
will be labeled racists. If they don't allow it, they will
be derided as being politically correct and hostile towards
freedom of expression.

Caucasian Club still mired in paperwork
By Danielle Samaniego
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

OAKLEY - Freedom High School officials say they will not make any decision on a proposed Caucasian Club until freshman Lisa McClelland meets necessary application requirements, including finding an adviser and drawing up a club constitution.

The 15-year-old met with Principal Eric Volta briefly Thursday morning for an informal discussion about the club and her well-being, Volta said.

"I talked to her about the process and made sure she was OK emotionally," Volta said. "We talked about the purpose of the club. The school's not opposed to cultural clubs and hasn't been, obviously. We'll see where she takes it from here."

Lisa is pushing for a Caucasian Club in an effort, she says, to break down racial barriers while embracing European American heritage. Lisa said she hopes her club, like the Black Student Union and Latinos Unidos on campus, is seen as a haven for those who don't fit into such categories even though all clubs at Freedom are open to everyone.

"I think we're doing something good that needed to be done a long time ago," Lisa said. "With everything going on now, I'm just 100 percent more motivated to keep it going."

Lisa said she has been overwhelmed by requests for interviews from media organizations, including CNN, Fox News and Bay Area newspapers, TV and radio shows.

Students interested in forming a club would need to first find an adviser, then create a constitution, which would have to be approved by the school's club council members, the Associated Student Body and the school's activities director. The decision on whether to allow the club will ultimately fall to Volta.

Lisa said that if the club is rejected at the high school level, she would protest and explore legal action.

Liberty School Board president Holly Hartman said she believes in the district's process when it comes to establishing clubs and said she didn't have a problem with any club that is open to all students.

"I think a club that is all-encompassing can be addressed in many ways and I think they are on campus," Hartman said. "If you want a club that is inclusive of everyone, you would want to name a club along those lines, similar to Heritage High School," she said, referring to the new campus being built.

Joanne Byers, school board member with the Liberty Union District, like Volta, said the school's Power of Unity club already encompasses everything Lisa wants for her own club.

"The issue was settled when the Power of Unity was formed. That was the club for all people," Byers said. "In my mind a lot of thought and a lot of discussion and concern was placed in the decision to form this Power of Unity club."

Power of Unity is an umbrella organization for the cultural clubs at Freedom.

Byers added that should the matter go before trustees, she would consider it like any other item.

"If it's brought to the board we'll give it fair consideration," she said.

Since her campaign kicked off weeks ago, Lisa has collected more than 245 signatures to give her more clout in getting the club established. Although such a petition isn't required to start a club at Freedom, Lisa has gained support from students, friends and family of various ethnic backgrounds on and off campus.

Oakley resident Judy Pollock, 49, said her two children who recently graduated from Freedom also considered starting a similar club but never went through with it.

"The kids had talked about it, but she's the only one brave enough to do it and I think it's wonderful," she said. "They should either not allow any ethnic clubs or allow them all."

Junior Charnae Mosley, peace keeper of Freedom's Black Student Union, said the idea of a Caucasian Club seemed unfocused.

"Caucasian is broad, it's not one specific thing," the 16-year-old said. "There's no need for a Caucasian Club because they're not a minority."

Lisa said she's heard positive and negative feedback from people since her cause became public, but regardless, she is not deterred.

"I'm not going to let it get to me," she said. "I'm excited. I'm all about the idea of learning about my heritage."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1938568 - 09/21/03 08:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

"Caucasian is broad, it's not one specific thing," the 16-year-old said. "There's no need for a Caucasian Club because they're not a minority."

Unfortunately this is probably what she is going to run into. Same old double standard. :frown:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: shakta]
    #1938574 - 09/21/03 08:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

At my school, there was an Irish club, an Italian club, and a German club. Maybe she could start an Anglo-Saxon club?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: shakta]
    #1938614 - 09/21/03 08:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I can see the reasoning behind that arguement, but I don't see the problem with the club personally.

To be honest, I'd rather join a club where people share my interests, rather than my ethnicity.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1938825 - 09/21/03 10:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
Junior Charnae Mosley, peace keeper of Freedom's Black Student Union, said the idea of a Caucasian Club seemed unfocused.

Well she could have named the club "white student union" but im sure that title sounded even a bit to racist for her.

And i dont know where this little black girl grew up, but where i live white(caucasian) is the minority

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: Edame]
    #1938959 - 09/21/03 11:13 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
I can see the reasoning behind that arguement, but I don't see the problem with the club personally.

To be honest, I'd rather join a club where people share my interests, rather than my ethnicity.

I think she was making it to prove a point.

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: domite]
    #1939604 - 09/22/03 03:21 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That's why I said I could see the reasoning behind it.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Political Correctness? [Re: Edame]
    #1941299 - 09/22/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

clubs based on ethnicity=lame (no matter what ethnicitity,race)

Shit,I'm mostly German. The last thing I would want to do is go to an after school event and learn about sausage and polka music and wear German flag shirts.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Toilet Paper

General Interest >> Political Discussion