Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar
    #1938223 - 09/21/03 05:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?ID=0E4893DD-B387-4EC3-9D30-FF70611A4E1D

Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar

Andy Ivens
The Province

Friday, September 19, 2003

Refined sugar is worse for your health than heroin, a defence lawyer told a B.C. court.

"Heroin is less dangerous than refined sugar," lawyer Peter Leask, a Queen's Counsel, told a sentencing hearing for drug traffickers See Chun "Handsome Guy" Lee and Chuk Fong "The Ox" Tao.

They were found guilty earlier of trafficking and importing 93 kilograms of heroin, worth $100 million on the street. It is the largest cache of heroin seized in Canada.

Leask told Justice Austin Cullen in B.C. Supreme Court: "Many years ago when I was conferring with an addiction expert ... he said, 'Heroin is less dangerous than refined sugar.'

"He meant in a health sense, of course, dangerous to the body of the person ingesting it."

Leask did not mention the expert's name or whether the expert was quoting another source for the theory.

Leask did not dispute the addictive quality of heroin or that it makes criminals out of addicts who can't afford to feed the monkey on their backs.

"What I dispute is that the drug heroin causes these negative effects in society and to individuals," he said.

"Essentially the proposition that I'm putting before Your Lordship on this sentencing is that the negative consequences which judges have . . . spoken about in decisions . . . those negative consequences do not flow from the nature of heroin.

"These negative consequences flow from the legal prohibition on the possession and sale and use of heroin.

"On behalf of Mr. Lee, I deny that heroin is a deadly and dangerous drug. Indeed, I say it is not a deadly and dangerous drug."

Four other men who were arrested with Lee and Tao in September 2000 pleaded guilty and received jail sentences ranging from 10 to 18 years.

One kingpin, Gou Din Ho, had charges against him stayed after the federal government and his lawyer failed to agree on the proper rate for the lawyer's fee.

The judge adjourned the hearing to Nov. 4 -- one day after B.C. Court of Appeal is scheduled to hear the Crown's appeal of the decision to stay charges against Ho.

Prosecutor Martha Devlin is seeking life sentences.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar [Re: motaman]
    #1939456 - 09/22/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
"Heroin is less dangerous than refined sugar,"

I think it should be legal, but damn that is a stupid statement.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar [Re: z@z.com]
    #1941211 - 09/22/03 04:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Agreed. Heroin has many horrifying side effects. I have seen them.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar [Re: shakta]
    #1941985 - 09/22/03 08:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I dunno how safe heroin is but safer than sugar? He better be a damn good lawyer. It think it should be legal because atleast in part the reason people become criminals is because its is so fucking expensive...there is no way any normal addict can suppost himself and his habit with the black market prices. If it was legal then they atleast could the way tabacco addicts do...

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
    #1943706 - 09/23/03 10:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yea that can't be true...

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1943945 - 09/23/03 12:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I would think you need less heroin to OD than sugar.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1965295 - 09/30/03 09:18 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The short term affects of heroin can be much more devastating than sugar.MUCH MORE!Duh.

But long term? If a person were able to take small, clean doses of heroin moderately, I think sugar can be pretty damn close in terms of the damage it causes.

Sugar causes all sorts of health problems. Blood sugar problems, Heart disease, Hypertension, Obesity,etc.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Lawyer argues heroin healthier than sugar [Re: sirreal]
    #1965325 - 09/30/03 09:50 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah in the long term it might not be damaging. Here in the Netherlands there are special centres being built for old (60+) heroin users.

--------------------
futuretribe.space

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service