Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
worm castings
    #1938211 - 09/21/03 05:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I just cleaned out and harvested a bunch of casting (30 lbs or so) from my worm composter. Does anyone here grow edibles on worm castings in any way?

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblearmedia
Dikaryon

Re: worm castings [Re: r05c03]
    #1942289 - 09/22/03 10:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I added some to a bed of C. comatus I planted (with garden store leached cow manure). It was a FP kit, and doesn't look likely to fruit, so I don't know if I'd recommend it or not. It seems like it should be good for a N supplement and for aeration. I did have a few weed Coprinus species pop up.

I have two problems with my worm composter: mites & seeds. the mites are impossible to get rid of, as far as I can tell, save washing out the entire thing, including the worms (which I haven't done, for fear of drowning them). The seeds don't seem to be a problem, until you use the compost for plants, at which point they all germinate. All of my pots had tomatoes, squash, melons, whatever sprouting, and hundreds of them.

I don't know what your supposed to do to deal with them, or what commercial producers do (besides avoiding seeds altogether or sterilizing the compost before using, both too much trouble). I have decided to throw the worm compost in the regular compostor, the heat of which i figure should kill the seeds, or at least force them to sprout and die.

- Armedia

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: worm castings [Re: armedia]
    #1943577 - 09/23/03 08:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thnx. Yeah I have had my worm composter for about 6 years now and I harvest compost about once every two years. I have learned what not to put in it over that time. Seeds and other lignaceous material is simply not broken down, however few if any of the seed that are in the compost seem to be viable. As far as commercial producers are concerned they typcially screen the compost before they sell it, so that is how they get a consistent product free of seeds. Thanks for for your insight. Good luck with your comatus.

--------------------

OfflinemuleV
just a ass
Male User Gallery
Loc: Jamaica-- umm what day is...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: worm castings [Re: r05c03]
    #1944463 - 09/23/03 03:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Would think perhaps that it would work well for most agaricus, most notable would be the Bazei . also the bisporus ( Portabella ) would do well on straight worm compost. The Bazei would have the added atvange of not needing the compost pausterized, you could ( in theroy) spawn directly in to the fruiting substrate. Blazei's seem to thrive with other mircoflora.

--------------------
Best Quotes;
Agar
One little needle prick with a loaded spore syringe.
And, the spores rule you forever.
:crazy2:

My reality check bounced, Whats your excuse?

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Re: worm castings [Re: mule]
    #1945708 - 09/23/03 09:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I am not sure. My initial reaction is that it would not be a good substrate for Agaricus bisporus (not sure about A. blazei, and do not have my books to consult) because agricus really does like partially composted cellulosic material such as straw, not the fine compost you end up with after worm composting. Further, worm composting is a cool temp process and does not get hot enough to establish the bacterial communities that A. bisporus likes to grow with and that inhibits contaminants.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms