Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
growing amanitas
    #1937235 - 09/21/03 06:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

id really like to give it a shot. i really love these mushrooms just for their beauty. ive heard it suggested that you can just water a silver birch with spore water but others say it has never been done.

so uuh with this sybios thing is got goin on. is it impossible to grow any mycelium without it? i wass thinkin maybe if you can i could try burying it with some substratee next to the tree root but it sounds kinda hopeless.

any thoughts or input is much apreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineUrbanistiC
Hmm....
Male

Loc: Seattle, Wa.
Re: growing amanitas [Re: Lazerouth]
    #1941336 - 09/22/03 05:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Which kind of Amanita man? There is tons...

Go here...

Pick a strain and I will do some research.

--------------------
Keep it ReaL.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1941347 - 09/22/03 05:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The word you are looking for is symbiotic.

No, it's never been done. People even have trouble moving established colonies. I'm not sure if you'll have much success, but good luck. You might want to read some on symbiotic relationships before you start. As I would imagine to know what is going on with it, you might have to know how to spell it.. hehe

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1942700 - 09/23/03 12:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You can buy a special gel for innoculating tree seedlings with mycorrhizal fungi. I believe most of these gels already contain the microorganisms, but that is probably how you would do it.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...gel&spell=1

I believe Aminita muscaria will germinate without a host and will form mycelia, but will not fruit. Don't hold me to that though.

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #1942799 - 09/23/03 12:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's funny, I am researching this as well.
I REALLY want to grow these things. It CAN be done!

I want to be the first. :smile:
Good luck in your journey.

Here is something I came across..

Like the chanterelle, this is a mycorrhizal species that resists laboratory cultivation attempts. It requires a living host seedplant, typically a tree or shrub. Spores will not germinate on normal agar medias intended for saprophytic species. A slim chance of successful cultivation might be achieved by placing spores near the roots of a host plant seedling and then planting it in a suitable area and climate. Locally, A. muscaria is often associated with shore pine and some other conifers such as douglas fir and spruce.  It is rumored that a German or Austrian facility may have cultivated this species in the lab.  Any information would be appreciated. Spores are white and placed on red paper. The prints are enormous, so expect a partial section of approximately 2 square inches.

From here:
http://www.sporeworks.com/muscaria.html

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: growing amanitas [Re: Effed]
    #1942812 - 09/23/03 12:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

dang, you can't even grow mycelium.

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
    #1942818 - 09/23/03 12:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I also found this document..

Cultivation
Amanita cultivation in a lab environment has always been an impossibility due to the symbiotic mycorrhizal relationship of this mushroom to its host trees. But if one has the necessary host trees in their area, and resides in the proper temperate zone or elevation, try and simply take a few dried or fresh caps that are in sporination (fully flattened or upturning with longitudinal tears along the striations), crush them up thoroughly, and mix the crushings into the top soil. See if it will take. If one doesn?t want to make the initial investment of the caps simply chop up the stems from sporinating specimens, which will naturally have collected some of the falling spores, and mix with the soil. Clark Heinrich states that he simply buries the stems under the proper host tree for cultivation, but then again he probably lives the the perfect environment. I would recommend that this be done in the Fall soon after the fruiting season or in early Spring so that the spores can receive their proper life cycle. My own observations (I?ve yet to actually learn this) of Amanita growth suggest that mycelia growth takes place primarily throughout the Spring and Summer months and is highly dependent on rain and soil moisture preceding the Fall fruiting. If the season is dry just water your mushroom garden every few days. A host tree in a large container that can be left outdoors year round may be a candidate for cultivation if one is in the right zone.

From here:
http://www.entheogen.com/amanita2.html

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
Re: growing amanitas [Re: Effed]
    #1943387 - 09/23/03 04:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

thanks effed that info is very useful. i know its symbiotic but symbios sounds better, short for symbiosis. urbanist i have plain old muscaria and the yellow and orange varieties.

lets get a little bit more specific. is the exact nature of the symbios understood? ie. when does it start, exactly where on the roots does the mycelium attach itself etc..

At the moment I'm considering trying a few things. one is growing a baby birch tree and training the root through a plastic jar and inoculating or  doing a similar thing with agar.  it would probably make it contaminated but thats not a real issue as im not planning on eating them. just want to establish a colony.

I remember my first time trying to grow shrooms  i used whole flax seeds and it turned out i didnt pressure cook enough to kill them. the seeds sprouted and grew and the cakes colonized without contamination. perhaps i could try a similar thing with birch?

this is a challenge but being the first person to grow amanitas would be the coolest. you guys should try as well untill we do it. :smile:

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1943410 - 09/23/03 04:59 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I belive as the seed germinates and the
roots first find there way out, that mycelium from fungi
attach thenselves at this point, as I've heard its pointless
to try to inoculate old trees as they already normally have
a fungi partner attached, so this makes it a lot
harder for another to get a foot hold.

In the uk its become popular to inoculate root balls of trees at planting. For example, many tree firms are offering inoculaton injections for newly planted trees. But i dont think they use fly
agarics.

I belive it is possible to clone a fruit bodie onto agar, then go from there. Who said you cant grow fly agarics on agar? All i read was
that there was a different mixture thats "Better" to use. Not that its
impossible.

--------------------

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: growing amanitas [Re: Paid]
    #1943413 - 09/23/03 05:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I wonder what it is that the fungi get from the tree, as
if we know what this is, it cant be too hard to make
up a substrate containing the same compounds ?

--------------------

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: growing amanitas [Re: Paid]
    #1943778 - 09/23/03 11:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow- that reminds me..... last year I had a few pounds of amanita muscaria var. formosa and on the same notion from probably reading the same thing mixed caps into the soil of a longleaf pine I planted a few years ago on my property. This year the tree fruited four specimens already and it hasn't ever before. This may be a coincidence, and I personally consider this a freak incident, but maybe that did contribute! It's a posibility. You have to think that these mushrooms fruit in random spots and do produce spores so must fruit on their own behalf from them somehow. If you have one patch in spot A and the next patch (spot B) is a mile away this is not some growing network of mycelium- these fruitings are new- they have to be new or we would assume that the world is one big network which is obviously idiotically untrue. Good luck and try the soil cap mix and maybe what happened (apparently) to me will happen to you!

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology