Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
whats your fav type of fish to catch?
    #19371440 - 01/05/14 05:28 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

So whats your favorite type of fish to catch? Any thats biting...lol
I love catfish! They get so big and they are just about in any water that you fish in
Unless its a private lake, pond etc that gets stocked.

They put up a good long fight! An at times can be smart with taking
Your bate. I have always wanted to try the noodling thing never got the courage up

What kinda bait do you use? Any tips or tricks?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJordy
Death Metal Bass Extraordinaire
Male

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Polk_Audio3]
    #19399774 - 01/10/14 03:45 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Gotta be Marlin for me; Blue Marlin especially and Striped Marlin the least. But hell, any billfish will do!! I use skirted lures mostly for Blue Marlin as they bite clean and usually get hooked instantly, will use live baits for the small Black Marlin that are in plague numbers right now. I usually skip bait or switch bait for Striped Marlin as they are really messy eaters.

My one tip that I advocate everywhere I can is to use circle hooks if you use bait. Circle hooks only hook up in the corner of the jaw, this means no risk of internal organ injury and smaller under-sized fish can be released unharmed. The bonus of using them is that any fish you do hook also tends to STAY hooked. They were pioneered by the longline industry, they needed a hook that stayed in the fish and kept them alive as long as possible (dead fish on the line = less quality, less $$). The recreational industry caught on much later with the circle hooks, but they really have been a blessing. I've only ever pulled one circle hook from a hooked fish in the last 10 years, I couldn't tell you how many times I pulled conventional J hooks on fish.

They look a bit goofy, but they work a treat. You don't strike at the fish, you just let them swim away, load up the rod and pull line off the reel. Instant jaw hook up

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #19400836 - 01/10/14 07:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I think carp are my favorite when it comes to battle.  Trout are my overall favorite.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
    #19401093 - 01/10/14 08:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Man you wanna catch monster catfish use the biggest circle hooks you can find Snelled to 50 to 100 lb mono leaders. I use suckers and shad that are 6 to i5 inches long as live bait You may only catch 1 fish a night but it will be a hawg. Where I fish for them the flatheads only get to about 40 lbs but I have caught many in this size range. And every once in a while you can pick up walley in the 10 to 15 lb range. But cats are all I use bait for. For everything else I use primarily streamer flies of varying sizes, from 2 inches all the way up to 10 inches.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

OfflineJordy
Male

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #19402173 - 01/11/14 02:58 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Didn't think that leader that heavy would be necessary for circles on catfish? I only use 100-150lb when targetting Striped Marlin and Black Marlin up to 300lb with live baits on circle hooks. Because the hook goes into the jaw corner, there is very little wear on the leader (unless this is more an underwater structure issue). You're best using as light leader as possible if tying the hook directly to the leader as the suppleness of lighter leader helps the hook work better.

Funnily enough, I have better success with 150lb leader than 100lb on Billfish. I think the reason is I usually tie 100lb leader directly to the hook, whilst I crimp 150lb. The circle hook has better movement on a crimped loop and finds the corner better.

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Jordy]
    #19406049 - 01/11/14 10:10 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jordy said:
Didn't think that leader that heavy would be necessary for circles on catfish? I only use 100-150lb when targetting Striped Marlin and Black Marlin up to 300lb with live baits on circle hooks. Because the hook goes into the jaw corner, there is very little wear on the leader (unless this is more an underwater structure issue). You're best using as light leader as possible if tying the hook directly to the leader as the suppleness of lighter leader helps the hook work better.

Funnily enough, I have better success with 150lb leader than 100lb on Billfish. I think the reason is I usually tie 100lb leader directly to the hook, whilst I crimp 150lb. The circle hook has better movement on a crimped loop and finds the corner better.

Yea  I could see why you would think that but with 10/0 circles it is tough to tie up a 15 or 20  lb leader to the hook not to mention my running line is like 15lbs but flatties will run for the nearest brushpile It acts as a shock against abrasion more than any thing. Sure a 50 lb leader seems like overkill but  running straight i5 you can't lean on the fish to force him outta the brush pile That extra 3 feet give you some cushion , Kinda like a marlin or shark hitting your running line whith its tail.

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

OfflineHappy Littletree
One

Loc: slightly elevated from ea...
    #19406132 - 01/11/14 10:39 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I like catfishing.. For bait I usually use chicken livers or night crawlers. I get a county of residence license usually which allows you to use live and natural baits just no lures or minnows and only costs 9 dollars for the year!!

P.s. I wanna start striper fishing but it requires heavy gear and best results come from using 12 inch trout for bait but they avg 20 - 50lb

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Happy Littletree]
    #19406262 - 01/11/14 11:14 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Happy Littletree said:
I like catfishing.. For bait I usually use chicken livers or night crawlers. I get a county of residence license usually which allows you to use live and natural baits just no lures or minnows and only costs 9 dollars for the year!!

P.s. I wanna start striper fishing but it requires heavy gear and best results come from using 12 inch trout for bait but they avg 20 - 50lb

Man stripers are tough as hell but no reason you can't handle a 50 lber on 12 20 0r 30 lb tackle but that is cool as fuck most people do not know how tough stripers can be. Even  schoolies will test you. Good luck. For schoolies try a freshwater trout rod with 6lb line. you'll have a blast. :manofapproval::thumbup: Go get em tiger.Chopper Blues are fun on light tackle too. a 10 to 20lb blue  on 8 lb line with a standard bass rig will put up one hell of a fight and live to talk about it.

--------------------

OfflineJordy
Male

#19406499 - 01/12/14 12:50 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

r00tuuu123 said:
Quote:

Jordy said:

Yea  I could see why you would think that but with 10/0 circles it is tough to tie up a 15 or 20  lb leader to the hook not to mention my running line is like 15lbs but flatties will run for the nearest brushpile It acts as a shock against abrasion more than any thing. Sure a 50 lb leader seems like overkill but  running straight i5 you can't lean on the fish to force him outta the brush pile That extra 3 feet give you some cushion , Kinda like a marlin or shark hitting your running line whith its tail.

I don't typically have that problem with lighter leader, there's less drag through the water and the line doesn't end up alongside the fish's body typically.

Then again, I have never had a Marlin try take me into cover LOL.

OfflineFractalGlider
The Giggling Gypsy
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Big Pineapple
    #19410862 - 01/13/14 01:15 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Land based I'd have too say the humble Bream and the Dusky Flathead.Both are relatively easy to catch and put up a good fight,pond for pound.Tailor would have to be my 3rd favorite.

Bream

Flathead

Offlinespore baby
Male

#19410874 - 01/13/14 01:23 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/13/14 04:14 PM)

Offlinewoaronun
symbiont

Loc: Europe
Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: spore baby]
    #19411355 - 01/13/14 06:15 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Pike and salmon for me. Both great fun to catch and extremely tasty.

--------------------
~notice your next breath~

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Happy Littletree]
    #19411906 - 01/13/14 10:47 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Happy Littletree said:

Yeah I use the same and always catch em good pix

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19423857 - 01/15/14 05:11 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

It's almost impossible in Oregon now to find non mercury contaminated cats. :sad:  We have ruined so much water it's not funny.  There is still some good trout water but that's about it for clean fish.  Fuck!:sad:

I'm glad I got in on the good days about 40 years ago. That was back in Michigan when I was a kid about the age of most of you guys.

--------------------

OnlineMightyWhite
Male
Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Icelander]
    #19426289 - 01/16/14 05:21 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Not in any particular order, but, steelhead, catfish, lake perch, and bluegill.

I just got a little 12ft aluminum flat bottom boat with a 6hp Evinrude and a fish/depth finder, its not a sweet boat, but its enough to get me on the water, I can't wait for spring to be here, going to be hitting the river and doing a lot of fishing hopefully.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: MightyWhite]
    #19429165 - 01/16/14 04:59 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Sounds like a nice one man rig to me.  I bet you'll have a boatload of fun in that.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineKing Klick
That Guy Everyone Knows
Male User Gallery

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Icelander]
    #19429339 - 01/16/14 05:35 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I can't catch anything for a fuck. Bur I'd have to say perch. I don't life fish but if i'm gonna eat fish i like perch. And they're small and i like how they look. But i fish catch and release so whatever's good.

--------------------
Your god is dead, and I killed him.

When you’re lost, here I am. Forever with your soul

OfflineJordy
Male

Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: MightyWhite]
    #19431559 - 01/17/14 01:30 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MightyWhite said:
Not in any particular order, but, steelhead, catfish, lake perch, and bluegill.

I just got a little 12ft aluminum flat bottom boat with a 6hp Evinrude and a fish/depth finder, its not a sweet boat, but its enough to get me on the water, I can't wait for spring to be here, going to be hitting the river and doing a lot of fishing hopefully.

hey - if it gets you out there then it will do the job!! I've just sold my 15 foot open runabout and am currently fully rebuilding and refitting a 16 foot half cab. The boat is going to look brand new again once it's done. The plan is to try and get a marlin out of it eventually. Nothing huge, but it will get the job done hopefully!!

OfflineChimaira
Seasons in the abyss
Male

Loc: Eastern United States Flag
    #19431709 - 01/17/14 02:30 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Bluegill. You have to catch several of them to make a meal but oh they are so good.

OnlineMightyWhite
Male
Re: whats your fav type of fish to catch? [Re: Jordy] * 1
    #19432027 - 01/17/14 06:29 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I expect its going to be some good times on the boat. It was in rough shape when I got it, really dirty, it just sat unused for probably 15 years. I got some aluminum cleaner and cleaned it up good and re-painted the watercraft numbers, it almost looks like new again now. I put some new osb board where the motor mounts on the back too.I'm thinking about putting some of that outdoor carpet all on the bottom of the inside of the boat or maybe some of that spray in bedliner coating to reduce wear n tear.
I figure worst case, if I'm not catching any fish, I can always just motor up and down the river and have fun with the boat too. It's fun just being out on the water anyways.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder