Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
humility
    #1936538 - 09/21/03 12:05 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Any religion or spiritual belief worth its salt highly values humility.
My question is what techniques do you use to make yourself humble?

I use several techniques, but my favorite is deliberately making myself look foolish in front of other people. I may trip and fall or drop something. I really like saying something incredibly stupid or ignorant with a straight face. That one has the side benefit of letting you know if the person you're talking to is paying attention. I use that one a lot. In the middle of conversation I'll say something like, "You know I really wish the CIA would stop training neighborhood pets to spy on me..".

It's good to do this in front of friends, but it's also fun to do it in public. For example, in WalMart I have messed up my hair and adopted a wild eyed look while shopping. I will walk normal then every twenty feet or so jump about a foot off the ground emitting, "beep!!". I have several variations on this. I mantain a straight face, but it's a struggle to keep from busting a gut.

I guess most of you do things like this from time. What are your techniques?

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: humility [Re: Jellric]
    #1936555 - 09/21/03 12:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I stay humble by making an ass out of myself, which isn't very hard..  :grin: and every once in a while you gotta lay down and trip out at the stars..interactions with other people are an important part of humility.. umm.. live normal. no need for fancy cars and mansions and stuff (of course I only say this because I am currently poor :wink:)
Then there are always gonna be people who will humble you, usually unintentionally. But yeah.. nature is extremely useful in remaining humble. Go live in the woods for a week or two and try to not be humble I dare ya.  :grin: 

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1936556 - 09/21/03 12:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I seem to use a similar technique as you...

In public i just have fun...ill jump off a wall, roll on the grass, frog hop a garbage can, make weird noises, i dance around every corner...if someones staring ill initiate eye contact and laugh...

it gives off good vibe's, and when i exchange a smile with a stranger, i know im giving off good vibes. Its good not to take yourself too seriously.

Its humbling knowing that you dont care what the strangers around you think.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: humility [Re: PDU]
    #1936565 - 09/21/03 12:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Its humbling knowing that you dont care what the strangers around you think

And don't you feel so great after you've done it? Maybe you were feeling socially constricted and doing that gave you some breathing room. It can even lift up your friends cause I mean you're so out on a limb they feel safe by comparison and they start laughing and loosening up as well.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1936572 - 09/21/03 12:23 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah..it's good to sacrafice pride for the humor of others

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: humility [Re: Shroomism]
    #1936574 - 09/21/03 12:24 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I stay humble by making an ass out of myself, which isn't very hard.. and every once in a while you gotta lay down and trip out at the stars..interactions with other people are an important part of humility.. umm.. live normal. no need for fancy cars and mansions and stuff (of course I only say this because I am currently poor )
Then there are always gonna be people who will humble you, usually unintentionally. But yeah.. nature is extremely useful in remaining humble. Go live in the woods for a week or two and try to not be humble I dare ya

Well I used to go camping quite a bit. I was a boy scout and also went camping on my own and with friends quite a bit. Nature does have a way of balancing you out.

And yes, just living life itself is humbling. I mean take someone like Osama Bin Laden and throw him in a room with some Americans for an hour and that'll bring his ass back down to earth in a hurry! It's like, look dude you're just another stinky human running around on this mudball like everyone else. Your name and status don't mean [Chris Farley voice] JACK SQUAT in the long run.

--------------------

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #1936695 - 09/21/03 01:19 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Im glad to see im not the only one that makes an ass out of himself and has a ball doing it.

It would seem to me that...most of the people i know..arnt humbled.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: humility [Re: PDU]
    #1936709 - 09/21/03 01:25 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Im glad to see im not the only one that makes an ass out of himself and has a ball doing it.

It would seem to me that...most of the people i know..arnt humbled

Well my take is humble yourself or it'll be done for you. You're gonna look like a dumbass from time to time anyway so you may as well do it yourself. If I didn't take myself seriously I wouldn't need to do these things.

--------------------

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1936716 - 09/21/03 01:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I tend to apply a ruthless inspection of my every thought and action, and then pick out the flaws and focus on where I may have gone wrong.

I find that constantly pointing out and dealing with errors that I make in thought/action keeps me humble.

I am the pupil as much as the master.  :wink:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: humility [Re: trendal]
    #1937303 - 09/21/03 07:52 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It recalls the time I dressed up in a big fucking sombrero, sunglasses, a pancho and a bongo and went into Dick's Supermarket.. i threw some ketchup packets at this preppy kid, sang and played loudly, and started going off on the racism agansit my people when I saw the "Mexican Pizza"....

It certainly doesn't top what my guitarist Chris did.. he put on the same outfit, except with a guitar instead of bongos, and went into Dairy Queen and serenaded...

After band practice, we usually went out and had some fun.. running over fucking bags of garbage... once we went up on Main Street with a portable keyboard, the bongos, and Chris' guitar and plugged it into a street lamp... got a lot of comments from the passing patrons of the local bars.. It ended with us yelling threatening insults at this fucking fag and getting pulled over by the police..

Great stuff! :grin:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinematteo
empty

Re: humility [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1937522 - 09/21/03 11:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, i agree with PDU, i try to keep myself humble by messing around every now and again in public, for example if i'm walking and there's a line of bollards i'll climb up and balance on them, and if i fall i'll laugh, it's great when others laugh at you, just make eye contact and grin, it makes me feel really "up". In addition i try to take the time to look at nature, i walk alot just generally so i stop to watch the sun set and rise, to watch tree's and animals. I also stop to listen, it's wierd how we tune out street noise but actually taking your concentration down a notch and widening your ears to the noise around you, the bustle of a street can be humbling in its own way :tongue:

--------------------
I have presented the above as fact, but it is only based on one of an infinite number of possible theories, each of which is as true as the other is false.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: humility [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1937708 - 09/21/03 01:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I hope you're not serious. I doubt abusing people or using slurs counts towards humility.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1937722 - 09/21/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Jellric said:
I hope you're not serious. I doubt abusing people or using slurs counts towards humility. 

Well, you'd have to know my drummer, but he was the one who recoginzed the kid and was yelling stuff. My drummer is known for being very annoying and always trying to be the center of attention..

Anyways, the kid walked back by as we were getting into the car and Mike started yelling again.. "We", i guess, means "Him", although I yelled something but it wasn't abusive or slurring.. and when I say "fag", I don't mean gay or anything, just referring to his cross-country preppines...

And, no, I don't consider it humility, either. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: