Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGoober
Stranger
Northwest Florida * 1
    #1935955 - 09/20/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey i know this isnt a board for asking dumb questions and all and im sorry if this is one, but I just moved down here from MASS and live in the Niceville area and from what i understand there are plenty of fields around. I have no experience in picking and i just want to make sure that the boomers around here are chill to eat and wont kill me or whatnot. Are they a form of cubensis? From what im told they have a purple top on them.....like i said im a newb sorry. Lol. I know like 1 spot but if anyone would wanna help me out with any others....... it would sooooooooooo greatly be appreciated. Thanks Peeps

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Northwest Florida [Re: Goober]
    #1936119 - 09/20/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Is what a form of cubensis Goodber?Wish ya luck!Peaceout
HappyHunting
-Amanitaman!!!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1936239 - 09/20/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Check the FAQ and read the descriptions of the active species found in your state. Then, if you find anything that you think resembles some of those, post some photos and a description and we have people who will help you ID it and make sure you don't get poisoned.

In the meantime, if you find anything, don't eat it. The best rule for eating wild mushrooms is, "if in doubt, throw it out."

Good luck and happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Northwest Florida [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1936537 - 09/20/03 10:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

where is niceville and what are "goobers"?

OfflineGoober
Stranger
Re: Northwest Florida [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1937359 - 09/21/03 07:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

niceville is in the pahnhandle of florida. close to some VERY good fields from what ive heard in places such as crestview. I am just new in town and wannna find the nice places where the farmers wont come out with shotguns and where the good ones are.

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #1937535 - 09/21/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, on this forum, nobody can tell you any specific spots to hunt. You have to find that on your own. But, you can get identification help. I'll give you a few quick tips.

The main species of psychoactive mushroom you're going to be looking for, as a newbie hunter, is Psilocybe cubensis. I believe they grow in your area. Here is a link to a description of the species:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/species28.htm

Here is a quote from that site, I slightly edited it to make it easier for someone new to mushrooms to understand.

Cap (the top part of the mushroom): 2-5 inches in diameter, conic to convex, campanulate (shaped like a bell) to gradually expanding to plain (completely flat). Color Copper in center to a light golden brown. remnants of a veil. and bluing in the edge of the cap when injured.

Gills (these are the thin strips of flesh under the cap that begin where the stem meets the underside of the cap and end at the edge of the cap) : At first dark gray becoming deep violet gray to dark purplish brown. Sometimes mottled with whitish edges.

Stem: Equal, hollow, stem whitish to a creamy white or yellow brown when faded, easily staining blue where damaged. Fibrillose (the stem seems like it is made of fibers) below the annulus (the ring of flesh on the stem, I will post some pictures of what this looks like).

Sporeprint color: Chocolate to purple-brown. (to check this, you unattach the cap from the stem of the mushroom, place it on a white piece of paper, put a cup over the cap and wait until the mushroom drops the spores {they're like the seeds of mushrooms}and whatever the color is on the paper, that is the sporeprint color)

Habitat:Gregarious (many will occur on a single cow pie), rarely solitary or scattered, on cow dung, rarely on horse manure. Also in rich soil in pastures and meadows, along roadsides in manure heaps (your best bet though, is going to be in a cow field).

The best time to go looking will be the day after a good rain, when the temperatures are not reaching over 90. Any cowfield with lots of cows should be fine, just make sure you're not visible from any main roads. You'll probably want to scope out an area before you go onto it, make sure there are no houses around, and the grass isn't too high. Getting permission is way better, I've never had to trespass to get mushrooms, but sometimes things just don't work out like that. Be very patient when searching, you're going to want to look on older patties for the mushrooms, not on very fresh manure. Try searching along the fenceline, and around treelines. The grass is usually managable, and the cows usually frequent those areas more. Don't get discouraged if you don't find any, they should be in your area, there's always another field.

When picking the mushrooms the best way is to cut them with a knife as close to the cow dung as possible. Try not to disrupt the foundation too much, or you'll damage the root system (mycelium). Try to put your mushrooms in a cardboard box, a paper bag, or better yet, a wrap them with wax paper and put them in a basket. My favorite way of carrying them is to get a styrofoam cup with a lid, I put the mushrooms in the cup and keep the lid on it. It looks much less suspicious.

If you find different types of mushroom that you believe could be Psilocybe cubensis, SEPERATE THEM! You do not want to get good ones mixed with potentially poisonous ones and then forget which are which.

Okay, even if you find a mushroom that meets this description. DO NOT EAT IT! You could still be wrong. This is just to give you a general idea of what to look for. ***If you want something to be the right thing, sometimes your brain will tell you it's the right thing, even if it's not.*** Before you eat any of your pickings, post a picture or scan of them, and the people here will definately help verify the species in any way possible. You'll want to get a verification after your first hunt.

Some helpful pictures:

these are some older specimens, notice the color of the cap, that caramel color is very helpful in identifying:

This is what the young cubensis should look like see how it's still shaped like a bell? These have not matured; at a vertain point the cap opens up becoming more flat, it leaves some flesh on the stem where it breaks away. That is the veil, or annulus:

Here is a picture showing the mushroom's gills:

This is how you want your mushroom to look, this one is in great condition, and probably very potent:

This species can vary greatly in size:

Mushroom John, if you get upset for me using this information and pictures, I'll delete it. I just thought it would be helpful here.

Edited by Aaladorn (09/21/03 09:43 AM)

OfflineGoober
Stranger
Re: Northwest Florida [Re: Aaladorn]
    #1937549 - 09/21/03 09:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks bro, A couple more newb questions for ya. I heard it was best to pick in the early morning like 3-7 or late evening 9-12. Is this correct? Is there a correct time to pick or can i just go whenever? Also dont know if you guys can answer this but what is the coversion of wet mushys to dry? Anyone know?

Edited by Goober (09/21/03 10:42 AM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #1938919 - 09/21/03 08:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Every town in Florida has good fields. Ever town is loaded with people picking too.

Probably, basically, every damn field in the entire state has been trespassed onto by people looking for Shrooms, one time or another somebody has hopped into practically every pasture in the whole state looking for mushrooms.
-And basically, the farm owners and workers do not at all like seeing strange people trespassing on the cow property looking for drugs. Drugs or whatever else it may be they look for in the pastures, when they are seen in a field by a owner or worker, it is a threat, because, they do not belong and they do not have Permission.
-Als0, it's probably the law for these farmers, every single pasture in the state is adorned with No Trespassing signs. Basically every single field has no trespassing signs at the edge of the properties, signs nailed onto trees, signs on fence posts. It's pretty easy to just stare at them for a second before you hop the fence, it's real easy, because there are shrooms in the field and its fun to be in the field, but those signs are there for good reason, and the people who nailed the signs up weren't f*cking around when they put them up.
-Here in sarasota florida, there are fields with literally hundreds of no trespassing signs (including those ones that say "$500 reward for information leading to a trespass arrest")

It really takes some enginuity, and luck, to get onto a field with someones consent.. if you meet somebody who owns a field with cows and shrooms, then your chances of them letting onto the field to look for mushrooms drastically increases. Otherwise you are just doing something illegal, trespassing, and florida people are, not at all kind about the act of trespassing.

Enginuity, and luck.. You can go for a drive into the country, and maybe at the end of someones gravel driveway you will see a signs like "fresh produce" or "fresh honey" or "organically grown herbs" or other kinds of food or services that passer-byers can see from the country road and this is an invite to meet the people with the cows and the cow-poops.

It is a lot like they have a large span of property, but they view their property in its entirety as "their house".
-You have a huge house, 1,000 acre home :smile:, you have this incredibly huge house, but you still do not want complete strangers coming into your house because they do not know who you are. 'Strangers that come into your huge house and start stealing shit out of your medicine cabinet or food pantry (but the house is so big you simply cannot monitor all of the property and all of the medicine cabinets and refriderators all at once 24hours a day.
-Of course, the farmers don't want to eat the Shrooms, but that doesnt mean that they don't still want the Shrooms on their own property.

I've talked to quite a few frustrated farmers that chase shroomers off their property more times a day than they care to do, it's a waste of their time but it needs to be done for some reason.
-Sure some farmers "don't care", but it is more like they are just "fed up" with wasteing their busy time. The best they can do is just repair the fences that get ruined sometimes by people who don't know how to hop them correctly, or just plaster up no trespassing signs every 10 feet along the fences of the entire property.

All in all, they know that their fields have poisonous snakes or other things that can hurt shroomers and they don't want to see anyone get hurt and be liable for something like a broken ankle or some other mishap. But still, it is best to take the drive into the country and "smooze" with the cow-poop (shroom) owners. A lot of them will say yes to letting you look for mushrooms or bugs or snakes or animals and have a  camera with you so that they know you are truly interested in what can be found in their field.

Keep shroomin,
GGreatOne234 

OfflineAaladorn
 User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #1941427 - 09/22/03 03:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"I heard it was best to pick in the early morning like 3-7 or late evening 9-12"

You can pick anytime of the day, whatever is convenient. Just make sure the humidity is high, and you've gotten some rain. They don't just suddenly dissapear in between these times. But there are some reasons people prefer those times. For one, if they have to tresspass, you're less likely to get caught during thos times. Also, people (including myself) like picking them in the morning before 10. The mushroom seem fresher and more potent before the sun shines on them. If the clouds are really dense and blocking the sun, they'll stay really fresh throughout the day.

"what is the coversion of wet mushys to dry?"

Mushrooms are around 90% water, so 10 grams wet is approximately 1 gram dry. I've been told though, that drying them out very slightly decreases potency, because an active molecule, psilocin (sp?), breaks down very rapidly. I always eat them fresh, so I really can't confirm any of this.

Offlinelargepaw
Stranger
Re: Northwest Florida [Re: Aaladorn]
    #5732667 - 06/09/06 11:39 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

im a noob i need someone to hook me up with some good locations PLEASE i live in niceville if someone could like link up with me and my friend to show us how that would be great

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #5732715 - 06/09/06 11:55 PM (17 years, 10 months ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
You hijacked and resurrected an old post, only to ask a question that violated the rules.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds