Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Loc: The Other Side Flag
AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood
    #19357768 - 01/02/14 10:09 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I finally made my hepa filter.  It took a long while for me to finish it but I did it.  The reason it took so long was because first I bought the filter when I had the money to buy the air filter.  Then I bought the blower when I had the money for that.  Once I had the filter and the blower I got all the hardware and wood and stuff. 

I used an AAF Astrocel i filter for my flow hood.  The filter I got seems to be getting more and more popular with the hobby mycologist.  I think the reason for this is because it is one of the cheapest filters you can find right now at a 24"x24" size.  With the popularity of this filter has come alot of posts about building a flow hood with this filter.  I thought I would do my best to tell you how I made mine and what I used.  I figured that doing so would be a great way to give back to the Shroomery community because so many people are getting this filter.  And if you are in the market to get a filter for a hood the AAF Astrocel i is a great filter.  You can find it on ebay for like less then $100 if you look for it.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AstroCel-I-HEPA-Filter-24-x24-x12-1000CFM-NEW-in-Box-/161164106506?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2586211b0a

One of the biggest questions I have seen posted in regards to building a flow hood using this particular air filter is which blower should I use for this filter.

The following part was edited on 1/10/2016.  The original unedited version will follow the new version as a spoiler. 

I originally built this flow hood with a 1TDR7 Dayton blower fan.  At one point well after I had built this flow hood and well after I posted this tek my brother got drunk and blacked out.  During his blackout he smashed the shit out of the original 1TDR7 blower with a bat.  Once that happened I had to replace the 1TDR7 blower because it was destroyed. There has been some debate as to whether or not the 1TDR7 blower fan I originally built this flow hood with was a big enough blower for this filter.  I ended up replacing the 1TDR7 with a  1TDT2.  The 1TDT2 delivers 549 cfm @ 0.  I should've updated the tek with this information as soon as I replaced the blower but I didn't even remember this thread was around though.  I want the tek to reflect the fact I went with a bigger blower when I replaced the original.  I apologize for any confusion that this might have caused anyone who was following this tek. 

For the record the flow hood in this tek now uses a Dayton  1TDT2 blower.  This blower delivers  549CFM@0.  I haven't had any problems with the 1TDT2 blower.  I have poured countless agar dishes in front of this flow hood after I replaced the blower.  If you find this tek and you are going to build a flow hood like this one, it has a 1TDT2 Dayton blower. 

Here is what I originally wrote in this tek:  Well with all sorts of research I found a blower that works with this filter.  I use a Dayton 1TDR7 blower.  It works and it is pretty cheap considering what you can pay for blowers.  I got the blower from Zoro Tools.  Here is a link right to the blower.  http://www.zorotools.com/g/00011669/k-1TDR7/ If you get the blower from this company look around on line for discount codes for Zoro Tools.  I forgot what code I used but with a little bit of effort I was able to find a code that got me the blower, shipping included for $130 total.

So here we go.  Like I said I used the AAF Astrocel i hepa filter for my flow hood. 

When I was making my flow hood I planned on taking a lot of pictures for this write up. But once I got into it I was really loaded, and it was an all night project so the pictures were forgotten.  Sorry everybody.  I love write ups that are really picture heavy.  I will try to do my best to describe things in detail like what I did and how I did it to make up for the fact that I don't really have that many pictures. 

So the filter is 24"x24" wide and 12" deep.  Once I was ready to build the flow hood I came up on an 8'x4' 3/4" wood.  I don't know what type of wood it was but it was solid wood not plywood.  It had a nice finish and everything.  The astrocel i hepa filter has a 3/4" metal frame that is exactly 3/4".  The metal frame was welded to the filter when it was made.  This design made it real easy to use the 3/4" wood my brother had laying around an to make the make the cuts.

I cut the top and bottom pieces of the flow hood box to 24"x24".  The side pieces were cut to a 24" length.  Since the top and bottom pieces to the box are both 3/4" think I cut the width of both side pieces to 22.5".  I cut a 24"x24" piece for the back of the flow hood box.

After getting the wood cut I needed to cut a hole for the blower to be mounted up to in one of the 24"x24" cuts of wood. To do this all I had to do was put the blower down on the wood where I wanted it to be.  I placed the blower as far back as I reasonably could.  I held the blower in place while my brother outline the mounting plate with a sharpie.  After the blower was outlined we measured the inside lip to the mounting plate.  If I remember correctly the inside lip was something like a half inch or something like that.  Whatever the size of the lip was all I did was measure whatever the lip size was from the outline of the blower mounting plate.  Then I took a ruler and I traced out where the mounting plate opening would be.  Once I had he opening outlined I took a big fat drill bit and drilled a big fat hole in the center of where the blower hole is going to be.  Then once I had a big ol drill hole in the center I took my jigsaw (I bought a brand new jigsaw just for this project) and I cut out the blower hole spot.  Sorry I couldn't think of a more eloquent way to explain this part.  I hope you get the idea.

Once the wood was cut to size and the blower hole was cut into the top piece I began building the box.  The first thing I did was I laid the 24"x24" top piece of the box down on my work table.  Then I drilled one small pilot hole in each of the four corners.  After I drilled the pilot holes I grabbed both the 24"x22.5" side walls and stood them on end side by side each other about 24" apart.  Once I had the side walls  standing on end I took the 24"x24" box top and laid it on top of the two side walls.

Next I took my time and made sure the 24"x24" box top was perfectly squared up with the 24" edge of both 24"x22.5" side walls.  Once I had everything squared up I drilled pilot holes into the side walls using the pilot holes in the box top as my guide.  After getting all my pilot holes taken care of I removed the box top, I grabbed my caulking gun and  lined the shit out of the 24" edges of both side walls.

Once I had the top 24" edge of both 24"x22.5" flow hood side walls lined with a shit ton of caulk I stood both walls up and carefully put the 24"x24" box top in place.  Then I lined the pilot holes of the box top and the side walls up and carefully screwed the walls and top together one corner at a time.  After getting the four pilot holes screwed together I drilled additional holes on the edges every six inches so there was a total of four screws on each edge. 

Once top and sides were thrown together building the rest of the flow hood box was pretty easy.  I simply laid the 24"x24" box top on it's back so the side walls stood straight up.  Then I laid the 24"x24" box bottom on top of the 24" edge of both 24"x22.5" side walls.  Once everything was in place I drilled pilot holes in the four corners of the 24"x24" bottom wall.  Next I removed the box bottom and lined the exposed 24" edge of both 24"x22.5" side walls with caulk.  After getting a good solid line of caulking on the edges I put the box bottom back in place, lined the pilot holes up and screwed the box bottom to the side walls at each of the previously piloted corner holes.  Once the bottom was squared and secured with the 4 corner screws I carefully put the 24"x24" bottom wall in place and just as I did with the top piece I drilled additional holes on the edges every six inches so there was a total of four screws on each edge. 

This brings us to the back of the box.  The back of the box was closed up using the last 24"x24" cut of wood.  All I had to do for this was lay the almost finished box on it's face.  Now if you are following along with this write up and you are thinking about actually using this tek to build your AAF Astrocel i flow hood then I should point out that you can tell which side of the box is the front by looking to see where the spot is that you cut out the hole for your blower to be mounted on. Once you lay your filter box on it's face the cut out for the blower will be up in the air at the top of the box.  Now you are looking down at the back side of your flow hood box.  Just place the last 24"x24" cut of wood on the back wall of your box, line everything up so it's nice and square and then drill pilot holes into the four corners of the back wall.  After drilling your pilot holes remove the back wall and line all four edges of the back side of your flow hood box with caulking. Then just like you did with all the other walls of your box line the pilot holes up, square everything up and screw your four corners together.  After the four corners are secure measure out and drill additional holes every six inches, screw that shit down and get ready to finish your hood.

Now it's time to attach the AAF Astrocel i filter to your box.  To attach the filter to the wood I took a real small drill bit and made a pilot hole in the upper right corner of the metal frame.  After the first pilot hole was drilled into the frame I went around all four sides of the frame and drilled a small pilot hole every six inches, four holes on each side of the frame for a total of 16 holes. 

After I made the pilot holes I grabbed one of the screws I was going to use and I grabbed my drill bits. I am going to try and describe what I did next and why I did it the best that I can.  It might not be that articulate so bare with me.  I wanted to get a hole drilled into the metal frame that was big enough for the screw threads to slide in and out without touching any metal frame.  I also wanted the holes to be big enough that they would allow the shank to pass through the hole right up to the tapered area on the bottom of the screw head.  But I obviously wanted to keep the hole small enough that the screw head could snug up real close and tight to the metal frame without the hole being so big that the head would fall though.

To do this I just grabbed drill bits one at a time and eye balled the bit diameter against the screw thread, and the screw head diameter.  Once I found the bit that seemed the best to achieve this I went back with the bigger drill bit and drilled out all my pilot holes with the bigger bit. Doing this allowed me to snug the screws up real tight with the wood to get the best seal I could. 

Here's pictures of what the back side of the Astrocel i frame looks like.

Notice the foam like weather stripping material?  It really helped to create an airtight seal all around the metal frame and the wood. That is why I took the time to get the holes I drilled in the metal frame just right.  I needed the screw to sit as close to the frame as possible so the screws would grab a hold of the wood and really smash the metal frame to the weather stripping and then to the wood. 

Once I had my metal frame holes all drilled out I laid the filter face down on my working table.  Then I picked my box up and dropped it down on the filter.  It was a nice and tight fit.  I had to smack the box a bit to get it all the way down on the filter.  Once the box was in place I flipped the whole flow hood around so the back of the box was laying on the table and the filter was face up in the air.  Once the flow hood was flipped around like this the weight of the filter forced worked to get everything in place. 

With the filter in place I took my drill and made small pilot holes in the wood for each hole in the metal frame.  Once the pilot holes were made I just took my screws and screwed the filter frame to the wooden box.  Just for good measures I took my caulking gun and put a line of caulk between the wood and the weather stripping before I snugged the screws really tight.  It was looking good now all it needed was the blower.

For the blower I used thin rubber gasket material right around the outside of the blower hole.  I sanded the wood where the gasket was going to be.  Next it was time to pilot the blower screw holes.  To get these holes drilled I had my brother mark where the screw holes are with a sharpie pen while I held the blower in place.  Once the screw points were marked I drilled them bitches out.  Then I put a thin coat of caulking down where I just sanded.  On top of that I put down the rubber gasket.  The gasket got a layer of caulking on top if it and then I put the blower on top of that.  Now all that was left was to screw the blower to the box.  After I screwed the blower down I lined the blower with more caulking where the blower was screwed to the wood. 

The hardest part of the flow hood build was waiting 24 hours for all the caulking to dry before firing my beautiful  machine up for the first time.  And here she is:

Edited by Willy Wonka (01/10/16 11:11 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #19357797 - 01/02/14 10:20 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:congrats:
Quote:

Willy Wonka said:

The hardest part of the flow hood build was waiting 24 hours for all the caulking to dry before firing my beautiful  machine up for the first time.  And here she is:

:thumbup:

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisiblePirateSwazey
 User Gallery

Loc: Here, Now
Trusted Cultivator
    #19357821 - 01/02/14 10:27 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Hey dude, that thing looks fuckin awesome!

Thanks for doin the write up, I got the same size filter on the way
and will be starting my own flowhood project here pretty soon.
I'll definitely be coming back to take another look :thumbup:

--------------------

BULK RYE PREP  -  MY FAVORITE THREADS  -  BUILD A FLOWHOOD

InvisibleThe Truth Seeker
Stranger
Male

Loc: Pala
Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #19357888 - 01/02/14 10:53 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:fuckinawesome:

Offlinetripdawg420
low life with no life
Male

Loc: illinois
Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: The Truth Seeker]
    #19357907 - 01/02/14 11:00 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

damn good shit :headbanger:

--------------------
HUSTLER
How U Survive This Life Everyday Resourcefully
epic GT mono tub
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17277772

wbs tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11525679
coir tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/11917410
results :thumbup:

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: PirateSwazey]
    #19358148 - 01/02/14 12:09 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

PirateSwazey said:
Hey dude, that thing looks fuckin awesome!

Thanks for doin the write up, I got the same size filter on the way
and will be starting my own flowhood project here pretty soon.
I'll definitely be coming back to take another look :thumbup:

That's why I did the write up.  The filter is priced great and everybody is getting one.  I put a link to the write up in my sig for easy finding.
:thumbup:

--------------------
AMU

InvisibleGorlami
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#19358808 - 01/02/14 02:22 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Great write up, thanks for sharing!  I'm hoping to get a flow hood set up soon as well, my SAB is really inconvenient and has me locked in weird positions for extended periods of time.  I'm a young guy, but holy shit, I almost need a stretcher once i'm done with my sterile work.

A flow hood would make it a pleasure to work with agar.

Quote:

Willy Wonka said:
When I was making my flow hood I planned on taking a lot of pictures for this write up. But once I got into it I was really loaded, and it was an all night project so the pictures were forgotten.  Sorry everybody.

:drunkdriver:  LOL

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: Gorlami]
    #19359782 - 01/02/14 05:26 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

whalechunks said:
Great write up, thanks for sharing!  I'm hoping to get a flow hood set up soon as well, my SAB is really inconvenient and has me locked in weird positions for extended periods of time.  I'm a young guy, but holy shit, I almost need a stretcher once I'm done with my sterile work.

Ya that was one of the biggest things pressing me to get my flow hood built.  Still air boxes serve their purpose really well.  They are a very reliable way to keep your projects contaminant free, and they are easily made for next to no money at all.  But every time I would put on my freshly laundered long sleeve shirt and gloves on to get working in my SAB I would get so hot and so cramped. 

Do you remember how when you first realized that you were going to be a mycologist you sat down with some paper and a pen to make a list of all the things you had to buy?  Well once you build your flow hood it will happen again.  At first I was like ok I'm going to have to get some parafilm and some petri dishes.  Then I got to thinking about it and well shit I should probably get a new scalpel and blades to go with it.  If I am going to get a new scalpel I might as well get a good one.  If I am going to get a new scalpel and it's gonna be a good one I might as well just spend the extra money and get something like the Stamets.  I mean sure I'm spending extra just because of the name attached to it but hell... The guy is a total mushroom Don. 

New scalpel ok, tyvek wrist sleeves check, hair net, I might as well get some scrubs just like the ones RR is wearing in the Let's Grow Mushrooms video right?  You get the idea I am sure.  There is so much stuff that I want to, no wait need to have.  I have already spent so much money on this hobby and there seems to be no budget cap in sight.

--------------------
AMU

InvisibleGorlami
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#19363278 - 01/03/14 12:47 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Willy Wonka said:
Quote:

whalechunks said:
Great write up, thanks for sharing!  I'm hoping to get a flow hood set up soon as well, my SAB is really inconvenient and has me locked in weird positions for extended periods of time.  I'm a young guy, but holy shit, I almost need a stretcher once I'm done with my sterile work.

Ya that was one of the biggest things pressing me to get my flow hood built.  Still air boxes serve their purpose really well.  They are a very reliable way to keep your projects contaminant free, and they are easily made for next to no money at all.  But every time I would put on my freshly laundered long sleeve shirt and gloves on to get working in my SAB I would get so hot and so cramped. 

Do you remember how when you first realized that you were going to be a mycologist you sat down with some paper and a pen to make a list of all the things you had to buy?  Well once you build your flow hood it will happen again.  At first I was like ok I'm going to have to get some parafilm and some petri dishes.  Then I got to thinking about it and well shit I should probably get a new scalpel and blades to go with it.  If I am going to get a new scalpel I might as well get a good one.  If I am going to get a new scalpel and it's gonna be a good one I might as well just spend the extra money and get something like the Stamets.  I mean sure I'm spending extra just because of the name attached to it but hell... The guy is a total mushroom Don. 

New scalpel ok, tyvek wrist sleeves check, hair net, I might as well get some scrubs just like the ones RR is wearing in the Let's Grow Mushrooms video right?  You get the idea I am sure.  There is so much stuff that I want to, no wait need to have.  I have already spent so much money on this hobby and there seems to be no budget cap in sight.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  Looking back though, I bought things I didn't really need.  Now that I've been around the block, I wish I used that money towards fancy things like a Flow Hood.  :p  In the end, it doesn't matter... building a flow hood will just be another notch on my belt and a fun experience.  :dancer:

Cheers man, enjoy your flow hood.  :highfive:

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: Gorlami]
    #19365366 - 01/03/14 07:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

:cheers:

I swear it was such a rewarding experience that I want to build another one.  I am thinking maybe a smaller hood that would be a lot easier to move around.  That way if for some unknown reason I need to take a flow hood somewhere I can grab my tiny one and go.  I know it sounds stupid but I really want to build another.

--------------------
AMU

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19365379 - 01/03/14 07:46 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

just so you can roll up to your buddys place and walk in with one like you own the place, set up and get to work lol

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: cronicr]
    #19366049 - 01/03/14 10:00 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
just so you can roll up to your buddys place and walk in with one like you own the place, set up and get to work lol

That's what I am talking about.  Plus it would be hella cool to show up to my local mycology society meet ups  like looky what I got.

--------------------
AMU

OfflineJeeter
giant

Loc: Ayahuasca Dunk-tank
    #19367046 - 01/04/14 06:48 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Nice job !  Definitely high on my DIY crafting projects.

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Inlines Vs. Blowers [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #19368650 - 01/04/14 02:43 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I found this today http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17731106#17731106 ; It is a thread about inline fans Vs blower fans.  I have gotten a few questions about blowers vs inline since posting my flow hood thread about inline vs blower fans.  I found the link looking for answers to the question.  I was looking for something specially with RogerRabbit in it because it was RogerRabbit that told me I did not want an inline blower fan for my flow hood but I wanted a blower fan.  That is why I went with a blower fan and not an inline fan.  And the link I just posted talks about the two.  It is a good read and it is well worth your time if you are thinking about building a flow hood.

--------------------
AMU

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inlines Vs. Blowers [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #19369123 - 01/04/14 04:35 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

But then again I just found this in regards to in line fans:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

OysterFace said:
This one i can get for 150..

Vortex 600 inline fan

The specs are right, and Canada-made is always better than china by far.  I used to worry that vortex blowers would create too much turbulence to get laminar flow, but enough guys are using them now without problems so I guess that was an invalid concern.  I haven't personally tried one because my old squirrel cage blower keeps on running year after year.
RR

So ah er eh who knows... lol

--------------------
AMU

OfflineSpiralHaze
Astral Voyager
Male User Gallery

Loc: Material Plane
Re: Inlines Vs. Blowers [Re: Willy Wonka]
    #19375012 - 01/05/14 09:56 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

I could not find what the filter's rated efficiency was?

--------------------
:stayfunky:

OfflineYuri.Pono
MAD SCIENTIST
Male User Gallery

Loc: SO HIGH O Flag
    #19375807 - 01/06/14 04:34 AM (10 years, 2 months ago)

sweet build and even hooked up the links

:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------
Links To Success
finger print: A9E348E5 2A22AFB6 F3676613 A34B1454 7C36ABC8
want to chat? got xxmp/pidgin/otr PM me for info

Edited by Yuri.Pono (01/06/14 04:34 AM)

OfflineYuri.Pono
MAD SCIENTIST
Male User Gallery

Loc: SO HIGH O Flag
    #19378814 - 01/06/14 07:08 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
Links To Success
finger print: A9E348E5 2A22AFB6 F3676613 A34B1454 7C36ABC8
want to chat? got xxmp/pidgin/otr PM me for info

Edited by Yuri.Pono (01/06/14 07:12 PM)

OfflineGod Stamet
wannabe Stamets

Re: AAF Astrocel i Flow Hood [Re: Yuri.Pono]
    #19378998 - 01/06/14 07:45 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

can't say I've seen a 24 by 24 HEPA that cheap ever!! sweet. I agree with spiral haze though I couldn't find out if it was 99.7 or 99.9. the link above shows a whole bunch of different options but I couldn't tell which one was the one for sale

--------------------
I have caught the Mycology bug! Not just here for the ride, i'm here for life.

How I do my bulk substrate

just another mushroom capsule TEK

InvisibleWilly Wonka
Medicine Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inlines Vs. Blowers [Re: SpiralHaze] * 1
    #19379775 - 01/06/14 10:11 PM (10 years, 2 months ago)

Ya know what I don't remember for sure what the efficiency was.  I would be lying if I said I did, but I want to say that it was 99.9.  I say this because right after I got my filter I remember reading a thread where two people were discussing/debating the the difference between 97%, 98% and 99% efficiency in a hepa filter.  I remember reading the thread and then looking at the specs for my filter and then thinking, "Fuck ya I got the best of the best."

--------------------
AMU

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies