Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s
    #1934592 - 09/20/03 02:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i am going to start my first grow on monday, spores arrived yesterday(19th) and i have read up enough to where i am ready to attempt a grow. i have a few last minute questions though..

1. after inoculation, do you put tape over the holes, or is it better to have no tape at all(since there is a half inch layer of dry vermiculite protecting contams from entering and it is good for CO2 releasage)?? should i take the tape off after about 2 weeks or after the cakes are about half colonized?

2. i have Golden Teachers, Malabar, B+, and Equador, and i have 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jars, for the experienced, which stains should be inoculated into what size jars? i heard malabar colonize a bit faster so should i put them into the 1pints? what are your personal opinions? that is all im asking, i dont care if you think you may not be right, all input is all good.

3. the temperature in my closet us usually about 70 - 85 degrees F, is this going to be ok if it dramitically flucuates from night to day? It is usually about 72 at night when it is cool, and up to 82 or so in the daytime when the sun is out. I have no way of measuring humidity, but i do have perlite to help.

4. once i inoculate jars, i need to know if i put them under light and if so..how long each day? i have a 15watt fluorescent bulb i am going to use.

5. I am usuing rubbermaid containers and 1 small aquarium. i plan to use saran wrap for the cover. My question is, do i need to poke holes with a needle in the saran wrap or should i not poke any holes. I know that fanning is necessary, how often should i fan?

6. thanks a fucking lot for reading my post and for any replies, i just want to make sure i got everything down to the nitty gritty so i make as few mistakes as possible, you know how it is. I will start a grow log once i have noticeable signs of mycelium growth. Hopefully everything goes smooth and i have something worthy of showing you all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s [Re: ]
    #1934613 - 09/20/03 02:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

no tape
half pint for pftek
that's ok
no light at all untill colonised
no holes. fan 3 x a day

good luck  :thumbup: :smile: sk  :kiss: 

--------------------
buh

Anonymous

Re: Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s [Re: shirley knott]
    #1934667 - 09/20/03 03:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thank you so much shirley, i appreciate it

Anonymous

Re: Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s [Re: shirley knott]
    #1934682 - 09/20/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so you mean i shouldnt use 1 pint jars for the PF tek? i thought you could...why cant you?

edit: i also was going to have the lids inverted, they are supposed to be inverted right..? not sealed tight

Edited by Kottonmouth (09/20/03 03:27 AM)

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1934725 - 09/20/03 03:40 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You can use pints, but there harder to colonize for your first grow.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1935086 - 09/20/03 09:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Grow Log
Tek : PF
Strain : South American [SA]
Spores : Came from homemade prints. 36 total jars to be injected.
Substrate :Brown Rice Flour [BRF] and Vermiculite [Verm]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10:15 PM 3/4/03 : Project is started. Jar prep is just putting small holes in the lids for the spore syringe and then taping them closed until inoculation. Tape used is the standard black electrical tape. First batch of jars is mixed. The mix used is 2 parts verm, 1 part water, and 1 part brf. [ This mix is the max fruiting formula by PF.] Mix is put into 1/2 pint canning jars lightly, not packed in, and left it airy. Put substrate in until it reaches the threads of the jar, then add dry verm the rest of the way.
Jars are PCd at 10psi or 240f for a period of 45 minutes. Then jars were left to sit overnight to cool.

8:39 PM 3/5/2003 : First batch of jars injected. (24 jars)

10:04 AM 3/6/2003 : Incubator is running to low 77F. Going to turn it up today.

5:45 PM 3/6/2003 : Second batch of jars is in the PC will be injected tomorrow. Turned up incubator runs at 83F. 86F is the best and if the incubator is 83F and myc growing in the jars is suppose to create a little heat I figure this should work out well.

1:11 PM 3/7/2003 : Second batch of jars is done. (12 jars)

12:10 PM 3/9/2003 : Jars are doing good, no signs of contams

2:54 AM 3/19/2003 : Tape removed from the holes today and coffee filters put over the top of the jars for added protection. Holes were opened so the CO2 in the jars could escape. I gave 12 jars to a friend who kept fucking up. 24 jar?s about 75%done.

12:13 PM 3/22/2003 : Well it's Saturday and the jars will probably be done by the 25th. So it was 36 jars. 12 were given to a friend, 24 done by Tuesday.

10:26 PM 3/23/2003 : 15 jars were done enough to put into dunk. I dunk and cold shock before birthing and after every flush. The other 9 jars have a spot the size of a pea that has to be covered so I'll do those on the 25th.

7:17 PM 3/24/2003 : 15 jars put into the pod. Put in and put a layer of moist verm on top. With geolite I just put the cakes on it. With some other chambers I put the cake on a lid filled with verm. This is done to give the shrooms on the bottom and the top of the cake some added moisture.
The other 9 jars just finished so I'm going to give them a couple more days to make sure the middle of the cake is done.

4:57 PM 3/27/2003 : 5 More cakes birthed today, 4 left going to do them tomorrow or 3/29/2003

3:58 PM 3/29/2003 : Well I lost another cake. My wife's little 1 cake pod made from a 2 liter and a small fish pump and a little geolite used up her last cake so I gave her a SA to grow. The last 3 are in the cold shock dunk.
So the total is 36 jars done all colonized with no contams. 12 given to a friend, 1 to the wife, 23 mine

12:08 PM 3/30/2003 : Last of jars put in

12:02 PM 3/31/2003 : The first 15 cakes are pinning nicely and some have shrooms coming from the bottom.

11:01 AM 4/3/2003 : Things look to be going well.

1:02 AM 4/4/2003 : Took the first flush from four of the cakes. More will be done later today.

5/8/2003 : Total 23 cakes 164 grams dried.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Anonymous

Re: Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s [Re: Magash]
    #1935561 - 09/20/03 01:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yup, already checked out that log of yours magash, looks awesome, arent those pint jars you colonized in 1 month? I think im going to just PC my 12 1/2 pint jars and leave the 1 pints for my second try at it. I dont want to wait like half a month longer for them to colonize, i was goign to but now that i think about it, fuck it.

thanks again

Anonymous

#1935590 - 09/20/03 01:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do i need to invert these lids or not, magash you left the tape on the holes for half the time, what the hell is best everybody, i have no coffee filters

Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

#1935751 - 09/20/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

first off i am not the foremost expert here, but here is what has worked out wonderfully for someone around this town.

1. after inoculation, do you put tape over the holes, or is it better to have no tape at all(since there is a half inch layer of dry vermiculite protecting contams from entering and it is good for CO2 releasage)?? should i take the tape off after about 2 weeks or after the cakes are about half colonized?

i do not bother with tape at all and have only lost 1 jar out of 100. and that is fine odds by me. now you could put it on there and then remove it, but if it does not work at the start why should it work later.

2. i have Golden Teachers, Malabar, B+, and Equador, and i have 1/2 pint jars and 1 pint jars, for the experienced, which stains should be inoculated into what size jars? i heard malabar colonize a bit faster so should i put them into the 1pints? what are your personal opinions? that is all im asking, i dont care if you think you may not be right, all input is all good.

just pick one and go with it, they will all colonize the jars sooner or later. i know equador is a great strain and have had it work great with both sizes. the pints will just take about twice as long.

3. the temperature in my closet us usually about 70 - 85 degrees F, is this going to be ok if it dramitically flucuates from night to day? It is usually about 72 at night when it is cool, and up to 82 or so in the daytime when the sun is out. I have no way of measuring humidity, but i do have perlite to help.

it would be nice to have a +80 temp all the time but it won't kill anything if it drops, just slows things down. what you might try is to string up some christmas lights in your closet and turn those on a night. they raise temp more than you might think, and work great for me. and the humidity is unimportant during colonizing so don't worry about the perlite until you birth.

4. once i inoculate jars, i need to know if i put them under light and if so..how long each day? i have a 15watt fluorescent bulb i am going to use.

once you inoculate the jars just leave them in the dark, they need no light at all. worry about light upon birth.

5. I am usuing rubbermaid containers and 1 small aquarium. i plan to use saran wrap for the cover. My question is, do i need to poke holes with a needle in the saran wrap or should i not poke any holes. I know that fanning is necessary, how often should i fan?

i have never used saran wrap so i don't know how to use it. what i do know is that with rubbermaid if you just put the lid back on, it keeps about the right humidity, just make sure some light is able to get into the container. as for fanning, at least twice a day and up to 5 times.

6. thanks a fucking lot for reading my post and for any replies, i just want to make sure i got everything down to the nitty gritty so i make as few mistakes as possible, you know how it is. I will start a grow log once i have noticeable signs of mycelium growth. Hopefully everything goes smooth and i have something worthy of showing you all.

no prob, and i hope all goes well for you.

Anonymous

Re: Before i start my 1st grow, a few important ?'s [Re: jumpship]
    #1939565 - 09/22/03 01:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thanks a lot, i think i will be just fine, i will pc my first jars tomorrow afternoon and start my grow log whenever i see first signs of mycelium growth

until then.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract