Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineunlikelyhero
Ramblin' Man

Loc: Lancaster (Uni), Darlingt...
Re: Fear of death [Re: sirreal]
    #1934831 - 09/20/03 04:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

sirreal said:
Is that the movie where Jeff bridges was in a plane crash and was allergic to strawberries?

Yeah, it is. Pretty interesting film.
I am getting better I think - there was a time a few motnhs ago when all I could thinki about was dying. That Frankl book certainly help me sort my head out a bit. Still resurfaces now and again but not to the same extent.

UH

--------------------
They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realize that it's not worth the fucking effort. There is a difference - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Fear of death [Re: unlikelyhero]
    #1943418 - 09/23/03 03:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Shroomism: I don't mean to be rude, but Hero is right, how is your philosophizing of existence any more based in ration than christianity, islam or even the Heaven's Gate Cult (the ones with the mass suicide as the comet-spaceship went by)? That is to say, everyone from these places will profess to the teeth that what they say and believe is correct, yet most of them have to be wrong.

And that is certainly patronizing to say that we've been 'programmed' to think that in the end our existence ends with our last heartbeat. For there simply is no evidence of anything to the contrary. We see absolutely no signs that something continues after its life is extinguished. As for about conciousness being different from mind/body, during the course of evolution was there suddenly one humanoid that had just enough self-awareness that it was like "oh that guy has a concious". And have you seen videos of chimpanzees learning and the way the complex ways they interact socially? it makes it difficult to say that we are completely different beings to them. While your thoughts are perhaps stimulating and intriguing, who's to say they have any more grounding than Jerry Falwell?

As for death, I'm not afraid of 'change' i don't really see any reason i would be if thats what i knew it was, just a 'change'. instead, the reason i'm afraid is of the uncertainty that all thoughts and existence of myself will cease for eternity. And to cease all thoughts and existence is obviously something i cannot even comprehend for i have nothing to base it upon, and that is why it is scary (at least when i let my mind drift off, this is not something i think about too much anymore, at least not as much as when i was a kid).

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Anonymous

Re: Fear of death [Re: Tao]
    #1943424 - 09/23/03 03:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

love is all there is, everything else is just reaching out for it.

all any mother fucker needs to know is, love everyone and everything else as you would want to be loved.

all there is to be concerned about. everything else falls into place as it should when living peacefully, all comes to you conveniently and perfectly, only certain people who understand this can relate

Anonymous

Re: Fear of death [Re: ]
    #1943429 - 09/23/03 03:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

and i dont give no fuck what anybody says, what shroomism spit out was all straight wisdom, it was truth. he knows, everybody else who can relate KNOWS(fuck believing. some of us KNOW the knowledge of truth, its no mystery)

read these experiences people, from what these people say, does death sound liek something we should fear or look forward to

www.near-death.com and http://forums.near-death.com has a NDE's only forum you can read NDE's there too.

nothing to fear at all, if i have to die tomorrow, i would not care, but it would be nice to chill here till im old and grey, learn as much as i can, experience as much as i can, see as much as i can, simply because i can. im not going to sit around and fuck off my whole life, im gonna live it up no doubt.

peace

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
    #1943432 - 09/23/03 03:38 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i like the first of your two posts kottonmouth, i can definately understand what your saying (not to say that i practice it at this point, but i see what youre getting at). but when you say
Quote:

fuck believing. some of us KNOW the knowledge of truth, its no mystery

you sound no different from a sucide-bombing muslim.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Fear of death [Re: Tao]
    #1950878 - 09/25/03 11:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Shroomism: I don't mean to be rude, but Hero is right, how is your philosophizing of existence any more based in ration than christianity, islam or even the Heaven's Gate Cult (the ones with the mass suicide as the comet-spaceship went by)? That is to say, everyone from these places will profess to the teeth that what they say and believe is correct, yet most of them have to be wrong.

Because I don't profess through the teeth that these things are absolute, just my perception from my experience. And I don't believe in suicide as a means of spiritual evolution, nor crusading across endless countries to massacre those who don't share my beliefs. I am a proud supporter of free will..so believe whatever the hell you want to, I won't interfere. I merely offer my perspective. My philosophy is one based on free will, love and harmony.. with God being a source that resides in us all... not some outside source that you need a middle man to reach (church, the bible, etc)

You can believe whatever you want. That's the gift of free will. You can listen to me or ignore me, you can take it to heart or take it as ramblings of dogma. Peace

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Fear of death [Re: DankBluntZ]
    #1950936 - 09/25/03 11:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
    #1951042 - 09/25/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

its funny, because my fundamentalist Christian mother is always getting on my case because I often engage in unhealthy behavior (drugs, smoking, drinking) and I also put myself in risky situations sometimes (hanging out in 'seedy' places, driving too fast, etc...).

she doesn't seem to understand that accepting risk is sometimes part of enjoying life. She constantly worries about things she has no control over, and these worries confine her to a very boring life.

It always amuses me how someone who professes to have so much faith in God and the Afterlife is so afraid of death and worries about it so much.

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Fear of death [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1951062 - 09/25/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think that fear of death is, wehn you consider it intellectuallly, somewhat ignorant. The real fear isn't of the pain of dying, but of the extinction of consciousness. Our self-preserving ego fears the death of consciousness, tho in reality, as soon as we "die", the consciousness that would be upset about it, is totally turned off, so "we" can't even feel about it. It would be like fearing sleep. You don't realize it when you are sleeping. AS soon as we are born, we are dead. It's that simple. Death is all around us, we just have to make the most out of the here and now

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Fear of death [Re: lysergic]
    #1951244 - 09/25/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> I've been able to change my perspective and reduce my fear.

We are all destined to die.  People can shout 'till they are blue in the face about having free will, but our reality requires that everybody and everything dies.  With this in mind, I cannot wait until I die.  You only get to die once (per life), so why not make the most of the experience.  I am not saying that I am anxious to die, but when the time comes I will embrace it with open arms and walk with my head held high.

> As soon as we are born, we are dead.

:smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Fear of death [Re: Shroomism]
    #1951479 - 09/25/03 03:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Because I don't profess through the teeth that these things are absolute, just my perception from my experience. And I don't believe in suicide as a means of spiritual evolution, nor crusading across endless countries to massacre those who don't share my beliefs. I am a proud supporter of free will..so believe whatever the hell you want to, I won't interfere. I merely offer my perspective. My philosophy is one based on free will, love and harmony.. with God being a source that resides in us all... not some outside source that you need a middle man to reach (church, the bible, etc)

Are you absoultely SURE that it isn't just some trap to get us to believe in you, so that we can go to some camp under our own free will and do your evil bidding for Eternity? The old "I don't care if you listen to me or not so you will therefore believe me routine"?

Heh, just giving you shit, your beliefs mirror my own. :grin:

Reminds me of the Simpsons episode, with the cult... Someone stands up to leave, and they shine a big light on them and everyone looks at them, "Where are you going? Of course, you are completely free to do so, but would you mind telling us why?!".. and, of course, where Marge freaks out and yells how she is getting the hell out of there, and the guy is like "Well, no one is stopping you from doing so, you are completely free to come and go as you wish", and then there are the dogs, the barbed wire, the landmines, the floating orb...

Heh, The Simpsons are great. :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Fear of death [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1951572 - 09/25/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I haven't been afraid of death since I was fifteen, if I remember correctly (I'm 20 now). Perhaps before that age I was subconsciously afraid of death, but it changed at 15 through a series of visions (when completely sober, well rested, and properly nourished).

I would, in any kind of situation where there's a remote chance of dying - like crossroads for instance, you could always get hit by a car or something - see myself die in the most bloody and gorey ways. The visions always took a hafl of a second or so, and I had them on and off for about half a year. That, of course, confronted me with death to the fullest degree. After that half a year I felt cleansed somehow, and I've never feared death thereafter.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder