Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleichbinkiffer
...like amo'fuckie

Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Grandpa]
    #1914413 - 09/14/03 12:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i smoke weed for the social aspect, but also because of how it alters my perception. i look at everything a little differently when high and i think i've made a lot of positive albeit small discoveries.

psychadelics on the other hand have yielded more substantial and introspective life lessons in my limited experiences with them. i've only tripped 3 times, one of which was a very mild trip, but the radical shift in perspective is definitely something i'm interested in and want to explore more. i am looking forward to future experiences with shrooms (next trip hopefully coming up in early to mid october) and i really want to try lsd. as far as "harder" drugs go, i'm not really interested in them. heroin, coke, meth, etc...some people really love them but from what i've heard they just don't sound all that appealing. plus i'd rather not risk the possibility of an addiction that'd burn a fat hole in my wallet and hurt my health.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecantfindme
Stranger

Loc: hidden
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: ichbinkiffer]
    #1915280 - 09/14/03 12:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think there is a solid line between getting fucked up and having an enlightening experience on mushrooms. i've only shroomed once, but judging from my experience, i think both are a factor, or at least they were for me.

i tried shrooms my first and only time (as of yet, i have a few trips planned for the future) with a friend of mine in a park surrounded by hiking trails through the woods. the shrooms weren't very good, because my friend and i each had to eat roughly an eighth and a half each to feel the effects. we ate them over the course of about two hours, waiting a while after each dose because we knew they could take about an hour to kick in. anyway, we didn't get a lot of visuals, only during the peak was i seeing slight visuals such as the ground and some other flat surfaces appearing to breathe. besides that, we were overcome by a sense of euphoria that was somewhat shocking. it wasn't what i had expected at all.

before shrooming, i wasn't really sure what the shrooms would do to me, i just thought they would be a cool new drug to try, which is strange because all i've ever done is smoke pot besides this one experience with shrooms. i thought i was gonna trip balls and start seeing shit that wasn't really there, etc. i had discovered the shroomery and did a little reading, but the day we tripped, i still half expected to start seeing little green men come running out of the bushes.

anyway, what happened to us was nothing like that. we were overcome by this overwhelming feeling of contentness with the world. it was like suddenly we understood why things were the way they were. for once my friend and i enjoyed our shitty little town. about 4 hours into the trip after we stopped actually seeing any visuals and were only experienceing the drug induced state of mind still, we decided to go for a drive. for the first time in our lives, we drove around totally enjoying where we lived. i can't really explain it, but it was like we had this sense of understanding that we had never had before.

i could never sit here and explain all of the revelations we had during our shrooming experience, but that day has changed me as a person. its effected the way i see the world in a way.

anyway, i've gone off on enough tangents, my point here is this: there is no distinct line between doing shrooms to get fucked up and doing them to become enlightened. although i had wanted to get fucked up, instead i experienced this enlightenment, and yet, the next time i shroom, i want to get better shrooms and trip my ass off, although at the same time, i'm looking forward to that state of enlightenment too. for me, its both, not one or the other. everyone has their own reasons, and i don't think you can divide shroomers up into just two groups.

-------------------------

--------------------
----------------------------

You lock the door,
And throw away the key.
There's someone in my head,
but its not me.

Edited by cantfindme (06/15/07 11:17 PM)

Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: cantfindme]
    #1915382 - 09/14/03 12:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There is no doubt that mushrooms can change your life, your perspective on life, your ability to deal with life, or all of the above. I never denied that. However, the enlightenment gained by shrooms is over as quickly as the trip, and not once have I heard of someone learning a "lesson" from a trip that they could realistically apply to life, or even remember, afterwards.

Spirituality released by psychedelics is already within you. Not only entheogens can cause these revelations, but they do seem to be the easiest way to bring about them. I myself have been changed by the results of a mushroom trip, and I would say that it was for the better. I won't for a second, however, try to fool myself into thinking that this change was mystical, religious, or spiritual in any way.

You consume a psychedelic, and your brain chemistry is temporarily altered as a result of it. The result can be pleasurable, nerve-wracking, or life-shattering. What you come out of the trip with greatly depends on what you go into it with. If you believe you will become spiritually tuned-in due to the consumption of shrooms, then it would be very easy to convince yourself that this actually occurred.

InvisibleMal_Fenderson
Space Monkey

Loc: North American Plate.
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: toned3f]
    #1915453 - 09/14/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm a little confused as to what you're saying. "There is no doubt that mushrooms can change your life, your perspective on life, your ability to deal with life, or all of the above." I think I'd agree with that, but, uh, that seems quite contrary to "the enlightenment gained by shrooms is over as quickly as the trip, and not once have I heard of someone learning a "lesson" from a trip that they could realistically apply to life, or even remember, afterwards." Are these lasting changes to perspective or ability to deal not something that qualifies as "enlightenment" or something "gained" during the trip?

Or are you saying that there's nothing spiritual, i.e., transcendental or whatever you want to call it, about what's going on? It's a neurochemical change and nothing more---one that could've happened without the drug, but perhaps something that the drug helped make manifest? That I could buy. All of this spiritual stuff seems, well, weird, unless you take it as Heavily Metaphorical, kinda like discordianism. Not that I don't have problems with those crazy erisians...

All this talk of being spiritually tuned-in, well, spiritual symbols, etc. are very comforting for some people. So, if you're denying any sort of power whereby drugs but you in touch with some sort of spiritual/mystical/transcendental reality, ala some of the Terence McKenna that I've read (although I could be wrong---I've read very little.) then I'd have to agree! But I guess I don't know what you mean by the "spirituality" already being within you. Guh...?

And, to the initial topic, "do you do drugs just to get high"? "Yes", but it seems that this question is really only asking "do you do drugs to induce the mental state that these drugs induce?" Well, uh, duh. Yeah. That's why anyone does drugs. The interesting question is why anyone desires that mental state. Controlled insanity, looking for zombies from behind the sun...

--------------------
----
"Better Dead than Red."

Offlinetoned3f
Comfortably Numb
Loc: NY, Amerika
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Mal_Fenderson]
    #1915476 - 09/14/03 01:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What I meant to say is that any potential for religious/spiritual expansion that may be induced by entheogens can be brought out by many other means, and those who use psychedelics instead of the other methods as if these revelations are unique to the drug, are fooling themselves. My apologies if I was unclear in my last post.

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
    #1915654 - 09/14/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

toned3f i dont recall anyone stating that experiences on psychadelics are unique to just psychadelics, but dont you think its pretty impressive to reach a point that would take many many years of meditation in a matter of hours?

Any yes of course everyone does drugs to get high, even if its to reach a spiritual destination you still take the drug - its gets you high and blam

InvisibleMal_Fenderson
Space Monkey

Loc: North American Plate.
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Oook]
    #1916038 - 09/14/03 04:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OK, fair enough. But I don't think many people would say they're the _only_ avenue. Is there anything wrong/worse about using drugs as opposed to spending years learning how to induce a state like that via meditation?

--------------------
----
"Better Dead than Red."

Anonymous

Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Mal_Fenderson]
    #1917993 - 09/15/03 11:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Mal_Fenderson:

id imagine itd at least feel like more of an accomplishment if you learned how to induce a state through meditation. im not saying theres anything wrong with doing drugs to reach that state, just that its a shortcut and probably comes with less satisfaction. i cant tell you for sure though, cuz ive only experienced drugs, someone else may have experience, hopefully they'll post.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1918023 - 09/15/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

and those who use psychedelics instead of the other methods as if these revelations are unique to the drug, are fooling themselves.

Psychedelic users can certainly fool themselves like anyone else.

But I'm sure there've been many thousands of people who spent their lives sweeping the ashram telling themselves that "one day" they would have a spiritual experience through meditation and died never having experienced a damn thing.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleund3rw0rld

Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1918243 - 09/15/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do drugs? since when is marijuana and mushrooms concidered drugs?

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: und3rw0rld]
    #1918874 - 09/15/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

agreeing with und3rw0rld and iamheheisme and pretty much everyone who said "both".

I've had profound experiences which have radically changed my worldview on shrooms. ( I've had similar experiences through meditating on the Tao Te Ching and the Bible.) But at the same time, I took shrooms at a rave once, and while I was dancing my ass off, having a blast, I looked over the crowd and it struck me - sure, etards and all, these people are just enjoying life and dancing, and for all the depth and seriousness in life, isn't this just why I'm doing it all? I even wept at little at the thought. Yeah, yeah - emotional shrooming story, big deal.
But it was, and is, a big deal for me.
"we just want to be happy...yeah, that's it....wait...what the fuck was I talking about?"

and und3rw0rld - yeah --- I shouted it the first time I did shrooms:
"This isn't even a drug--- I can't believe they make ~this~ illegal!"

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisibleund3rw0rld

Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: valour]
    #1920288 - 09/16/03 12:26 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

rock on brother

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: und3rw0rld]
    #1921968 - 09/16/03 03:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I use marijuana daily in a purely recreational/reward form. If i get all the shit i need to do during the day done. I have a smoke play some video games and just relax.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: baraka]
    #1922104 - 09/16/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I personally don't see any difference between meditating to reach the trance state, or consuming an entheogen to produce exactly the same effect. Perhaps your control of the situation may vary, but I can't say I've reached Nirwana in meditation, so don't look at me for answers in that department.
If you think about it, don't people pursue spiritual paths to find out what life's about and - ultimately - to find peace of mind and happiness? What exactly would the difference be with drug-induced euphoria?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Offlinecasper702
Ghost

Loc: Learning to fly
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: Zutroye]
    #1929112 - 09/18/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I do drugs because this world is to fucked up to be sober and sobriety sucks smoke weed every day yo

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Do you do drugs just to get high? [Re: casper702]
    #1933704 - 09/19/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Its been my experience with shrooms that your surrounding determine the effect completely. The first time I did it at a club and I just danced all night and my body felt fuckin great. I've done them during sex, done them with okay-friends that i felt much closer to after the trip, ive done them with my long-time girlfriend just talking most of the time and feeling a deep spirtual closeness and understanding of myself and our relationship.
So, my answer is both, depending on what I want it to be. The next time I take them, i really want to try the silence-in-the-dark method because I always feel something spirtual and enlightening during trips at some point and i can only imagine what it would be like to alter my surroundings so as to make the whole trip like that.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies