Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSkysTheLimit
A curious mind

Loc: Flag
Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why?
    #19306165 - 12/21/13 02:38 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hey guys, I was interested in what the current shroomery participants tastebuds are like, so here's 2 questions that I'm sure alot of us would be interested to answer.

1. What is your favourite mushroom to eat so far and why?
2. What else have you tried? (be honest)

:tongue:

Thanks for the input

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSkysTheLimit
A curious mind

Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: SkysTheLimit]
    #19306171 - 12/21/13 02:40 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Beginning with me.
1. Pearl oysters, nice soft texture and amazing mushroomy taste that i cant describe

2. King oyster, improperly cooked shiitake, abalone oyster, enoke, white button, portabello

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #19306335 - 12/21/13 03:58 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. matsutake, it's an amazing sensory adventure when prepared correctly, nothing compares to it.

2. everything, gray, blue, pink, yellow, pearl oysters, lots of shiitake, lots of enoki, lots of shimeji, lots of button (crimini and white), chicken of the woods, hen of the woods, cauliflower, chantrelle etc.

--------------------

Edited by liamtheloser (12/21/13 04:02 AM)

Offlinespore baby
Male

#19306351 - 12/21/13 04:06 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Edited by spore baby (12/19/14 07:22 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: spore baby]
    #19306472 - 12/21/13 05:17 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Come on! Oysters!!

my favorites are Porcini/ceps/king boletes dried for six months,second would be black trumpets also dried and third would be morels.
I also enjoy Lepista nuda/blewits and birch boletes. I like wood ears as well.

I've tried most edible mushrooms bar Hypholoma capnoides, Agrocybe agerita and king stropharia.

Have eaten most oysters, Marasmius oreades, wood blewits, birch boletes, king boletes, slippery jacks, chickens, saffron milk caps, shiitakes, agaricus b and blazei, velvet shanks, puffballs, chanterelles, morels, black trumpets, wood wars, orange peel fungi, shaggymanes,

everything I have experienced in the last 12 years tells me that most oysters are popular because they are easy to grow and yield well rather than flavour.

make a risotto out of six month dried porcini with black trumpets and birch boletes and you will never look back.

--------------------

Offlinet3chnobily
Strangest
Male

Loc: As Seen In VT
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #19306486 - 12/21/13 05:25 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Cultivatable  Hen of the wood, black poplar

Uncultivatable.  Morel, Bolete, and truffle!

Wanted to try  Sparrissa Crispa The egg noodle mushroom

OfflineSkysTheLimit
A curious mind

#19306514 - 12/21/13 05:41 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
my favorites are Porcini/ceps/king boletes dried for six months,second would be black trumpets also dried and third would be morels.

How do you prepare the dried king boletes? Apart from using a risotto?
And why 6 months?

--------------------
Hmm...

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #19307504 - 12/21/13 11:24 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. Kings for texture and taste and Pioppinos for flavour
2. Shiitake, greys,yellows,beech,pink

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

Offlinethiotimoline
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Bay Area
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: solarity]
    #19307807 - 12/21/13 12:23 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. Boletus edulis (first wild mushroom I ever tried)
2. Agaricus augustus, Agaricus bisporus, Auricularia sp., Boletus edulis, Calvatia gigantea, Cantharellus sp., Craterellus cornucopioides, Flammulina velutipes, Grifola frondosa, Hericium erinaceus, Hypsizygus tessulatus, Leccinum scabrum, Lentinula edodes, Pleurotus eryngii, Pleurotus ostreatus, Pleurotus pulmonarius, Stropharia rugosoannulata, Tuber oregonense, maybe some more that I'm forgetting

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: thiotimoline]
    #19308096 - 12/21/13 01:36 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'd have to say my fav is winter black truffle, but only in small amounts. Morel would probably be my regular fav.

not many regrettably, I am just becoming a real shroomer. The typical white button, cremini ,shitake,etc. typical regular US grocery store fair. but I love the idea of trying more and more. really want to try that chicken of the woods, and well haven't heard of tons of others to know if I want to, but I'm betting I do also.

Invisibleskullphuxxx
free food finder
 User Gallery

Loc: Smurfs village
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: RandomFX]
    #19309562 - 12/21/13 09:13 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. chicken of the woods. texture, flavor and color.
2.15 wild found 3 store bought

--------------------
a stranger is a friend i haven't met yet.

Offlinewoodland_jewel
In den Gärten Pharaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Penna
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: liamtheloser]
    #19309586 - 12/21/13 09:20 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

liamtheloser said:
1. matsutake, it's an amazing sensory adventure when prepared correctly, nothing compares to it.

I had matsutake ice cream recently. WILD!

--------------------

Woodland Jewel Mushrooms
Facebook
Twitter: @woodland_jewel
Instagram

PBS filmed a feature on us, check it out HERE

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#19310920 - 12/22/13 07:47 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Black trumps are my favorite
Quote:

bluemeanie said:
Come on! Oysters!!

I've tried most edible mushrooms bar Hypholoma capnoides, Agrocybe agerita and king stropharia.

Have eaten most oysters, Marasmius oreades, wood blewits, birch boletes, king boletes, slippery jacks, chickens, saffron milk caps, shiitakes, agaricus b and blazei, velvet shanks, puffballs, chanterelles, morels, black trumpets, wood wars, orange peel fungi, shaggymanes,

everything I have experienced in the last 12 years tells me that most oysters are popular because they are easy to grow and yield well rather than flavour.

make a risotto out of six month dried porcini with black trumpets and birch boletes and you will never look back.

I'm with ya there blue.  I don't find many porcini probably because I'm usually looking for other things in different habitats. 

But porcini and black trumps make the best flavor ever together!

I like nameko a lot also, really tastes like cashews.

InvisibleAleon
The Power of Our Origins
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere Flag
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #19311000 - 12/22/13 08:20 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. Cultivated:King oyster is best; beech are very good too. For wild: chantereles or morels
2. most types oyster, shiitake, lions mane, enoki, pioppino, fresh king boletes, hawks wing, aspen bolete, wood blewit, puffballs, morels, chantrelles,  and some more,

--------------------
Mushroom medicines available at:
www.swordandshieldwellness.com

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #19312802 - 12/22/13 05:30 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
Black trumps are my favorite
Quote:

bluemeanie said:
Come on! Oysters!!

I'm with ya there blue.  I don't find many porcini probably because I'm usually looking for other things in different habitats. 

But porcini and black trumps make the best flavor ever together!

I like nameko a lot also, really tastes like cashews.

Yeah mate exactly - black trumpets and Porcini are just superb alone or together.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

#19312811 - 12/22/13 05:33 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

As for dried - a chef told me this and for both Porcini and birch (red or brown) they get a massively enhanced flavour after being dried.

Another recipe I tried recently was birch and porcini bolete tart with cream cheese. Oh man.... This is what mushrooms are all about!

--------------------

Offlinepseudotsuga
Male

Loc: usa
    #19313249 - 12/22/13 07:10 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

My favorites: Black trumpets, morchella snyderii, and candy caps

Wilded species I've collected and consumed: Laetiporus gilbertsonii, Hydnum rapandum, Tricholoma magnivelare, 3 species of Cantharellus, Lactarius rubidus, 3 species of morchella, Boletus regineus, B. edulis, B. rex-veris, B. abieticola, Ganoderma orgonense, Ganoderma lucidum, Craterellus cornucopioides, C. neotubaeformis, Hericium erinaceus, Coprinus comatus, Pleurotus ostreatus, Leccinum sp.

As far as cultivated species I consumed 12 species, out of which king oyster, lions mane, and maitake are my favorites.

Offlinecmspice
Stranger
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: pseudotsuga]
    #19314302 - 12/23/13 12:24 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1. I'll have to say matsutake right now (baked with lemon, wine and salt). Took me a few tries to get this right but once you find the right ingredients to compliment the aroma they are divine!

2. were lucky in Cali there's a company that grows a good variety for asian consumers including maitake, enoki, beech, shiitake and king oyster. I feel totally spoiled being able to eat these whenever they hell I want for a very reasonable price. I had a wild Agaricus Sp. and it's flavor was intense. I fried up a slipper jack till crisp and it was pretty amazing too (and not slimy!). I've had some puffy white fungus (not exactly sure which one it was) and woodears dry from the asian market. Oh and straw mushrooms are a delight! I've only eaten them canned but statmet says they are something else when fresh. Finally, mushrooms I'm quite dissapointed in: Chanterelle which I think are totally flavorless and nameko mushrooms which are also pretty flavorless (though I've only had these preboiled).

edit: to be fair, I thought maitake's were pretty dull until I prepared them properly and then they were amazing so I need to give chanterelle's another chance as I haven't really been cooknig them properly.

--------------------
have: blue, brown, pink, yellow, elm, king oyster, reishi, nameko, black poplar, shaggy mane, PESA

want: ABM, ganoderma spp., straw mushroom, exotic pleurotus species, ethno cuttings/seeds.

Edited by cmspice (12/23/13 12:25 AM)

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: cmspice]
    #19314345 - 12/23/13 12:44 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cmspice said:
1. I'll have to say matsutake right now (baked with lemon, wine and salt). Took me a few tries to get this right but once you find the right ingredients to compliment the aroma they are divine!

2. were lucky in Cali there's a company that grows a good variety for asian consumers including maitake, enoki, beech, shiitake and king oyster. I feel totally spoiled being able to eat these whenever they hell I want for a very reasonable price. I had a wild Agaricus Sp. and it's flavor was intense. I fried up a slipper jack till crisp and it was pretty amazing too (and not slimy!). I've had some puffy white fungus (not exactly sure which one it was) and woodears dry from the asian market. Oh and straw mushrooms are a delight! I've only eaten them canned but statmet says they are something else when fresh. Finally, mushrooms I'm quite dissapointed in: Chanterelle which I think are totally flavorless and nameko mushrooms which are also pretty flavorless (though I've only had these preboiled).

edit: to be fair, I thought maitake's were pretty dull until I prepared them properly and then they were amazing so I need to give chanterelle's another chance as I haven't really been cooknig them properly.

You should definitely give chanterelles another chance, and DEFINITELY nameko.

boiling removes the flavor from chanterelles, try in a fried dish.  Or dry sautee them before adding them to a soup, it concentrates the flavor.

--------------------

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#19314371 - 12/23/13 01:01 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I really like this game.

1.  My favorite, bar none, is hericium coralloides.  It's beautiful, bizarre, delicious and plentiful here when you can find it.  A fellow shroomerite and I are working on cultivation right now.  Boletinellus meruliodes is a close second, with its dense flesh and extremely earthy taste.

2.  Agaricus bisporus, agaricus arvensis, enoki, shiitake, various puffballs, Boletinellus meruliodes, porcini, gomphus clavatus, Canadian pine mushroom (Tricholoma magnivelare, as opposed to T. matsutake), several oyster and king oyster species, chantarelles, black truffles of probable Chinese origin, black and yellow morels (either Morchella elata or tomentosa and Morchella esculenta, respectively), shaggy manes, shaggy parasols, fairy ring (Mirasmius oreades).  I think that's all.

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#19314378 - 12/23/13 01:06 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

bluemeanie said:
As for dried - a chef told me this and for both Porcini and birch (red or brown) they get a massively enhanced flavour after being dried.

I've heard this to be the case with verpa bohemica, and I know this to be the case with chlorophyllum rhacodes and mirasmius oreades as well.

OfflineQueen of Kings
Get on with the Fascination
Female User Gallery

Loc: Pacific Northwest, almost
Re: Favourite Gourmet Mushroom to eat? and why? [Re: Psilicon]
    #19318733 - 12/23/13 10:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Wild favorites:  Morels.  Lots of them.  My goal next year is to find enough to have them all year, without end.  Boletes are a close second.  In the spring I can think of little else.  I've set aside a whole vacation week to do nothing but find morels and boletes!

Cultivated favorites
:  Kings!  So much bang for the buck!!  So firm.  I love slicing them lengthwise and sauteeing them.  Next is probably blue oysters, tied with shitake.  I've grown and like yellow oysters, pearl oysters, agrocybe aegerita, nameko, lions mane.

Found and eaten:  Honey mushrooms.  (The flavor intensifies so much when dried you would think they were shitake.) I am growing some out on grain right now.  Suillus, cap peeled.  Hedgehog.  Agaricus subrutilescens (wow..amazing).  Positively choice Shrimp Russula.  Lactarius deliciousus. 

Tried, from local Asian Market:  Maitake. 

Must-haves:  Matsutake.  Trying so hard to find this.  Really tough in drought conditions here in the west.  Also, abalone oyster.

Offlinevenomkiler
psychonaut
Male

Loc: Somewhere out there
    #19327097 - 12/25/13 10:17 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

only tried white, portabella, and Chanterelle lol

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck