Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefrogger25
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: east coast
purple shrooms
    #1926134 - 09/17/03 05:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

while walking around the woods in south jersy i came across these interesting looking mushrooms. once i found one they were easy to spot all arroun the place. they are quite nice lookin if you ask me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: purple shrooms [Re: frogger25]
    #1926236 - 09/17/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah- I see those all around in the late summerhere- not sure what they are though exactly. Isn't it amazing how many colors they produce. Sometimes when I shroom I like to look at colorful shrooms- they seem important and dignified- like the keepers of all things rotten.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: purple shrooms [Re: frogger25]
    #1926298 - 09/17/03 06:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hi frogger 25,,, a few weeks ago those were absolutly everywhere up here in southern New England,,, I posted my find and eventual ID,,, here is the link,,,,

"Cortinarius Iodes, C. iodioides" 

They are most likely a cortinarius, mine were c. iodes,,, they look to be either c. iodes or C. iodioides.. Read the link, it explains the main key to differentiate between the two species... go ahead have a lick,, I did.... Nice find,,,Nice pics,,,  I went out in the woods today and there were still a few around,, I saw 2 to be exact... a few weeks ago there were literally 100's,, of them...  :shocked: :shocked:  "Cortinarius Iodes, C. iodioides"    :wink: 

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineSaltyBasket
Vorticists'Suite

Loc: South Dakota
Re: purple shrooms [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1926301 - 09/17/03 06:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

They look like Russula mariae to me.

--------------------
Everything you will ever love will reject you or die.
Everything you will ever create will be thrown away.
Everything you're proud of will end up as trash.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: purple shrooms [Re: SaltyBasket]
    #1926371 - 09/17/03 07:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Look like Russulas top me also

But then again.....?

mj

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Re: purple shrooms [Re: SaltyBasket]
    #1926415 - 09/17/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I found what I believe to be a russula mariae today as well,,, I thought it was c. iodes at first,, when I saw it from above (looked exactly like c. iodes same cap coloring),, but when I picked it,,

1- The gills were white
2- The stipe was white and typical of russula(crumbling easily)
3- It lacked the gelatinous pelicle that is found on c. iodes. Instead the mushroom had a paper thin covering that peeled off easily.

My main reason for ID'ing as C. iodes or C. iodioides is:

The gill color
The stipe color
The habitat(saphrophitic)

,," I thought russula mariae grew in sphagnum (mossy areas) or by stream and wet lands???? I could be wrong. I often am,, and I havn't researched Russula mariae mutch.

I should have asked a few questions,, but I was too excited,, " I don't get to possitivly ID many species posted here and figured I had this one".

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: purple shrooms [Re: nofind_um]
    #1926488 - 09/17/03 08:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

In general, both Russula and Cortinarius are mycorrizal, not saprophytic. There are, of course, exceptions.

frogger25, try breaking the stem on one. If it breaks like a piece of chalk, then it's a Russula. If it's all fibery, then it's a Cortinarius.

A spore print will also settle the matter immediately. If it's a Russula, then the spore print will be white to yellow to pale orangish. If it's a Cortinarius, then it'll be rusty brown.

I'm going to go with Cortinarius, because there is a rusty brown ring zone visible in all three photos. In the first photo it's where the stem color transitions from purplish to white. That ring zone is very typical of Cortinarius.

nofind_um, I think you *did* get it. Good job!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

Re: purple shrooms [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1930400 - 09/18/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

those are rusullas,and if you cook right they are pretty good to eat too.they grow here in florida as well.but,don't take my word for it.PEACE

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: purple shrooms [Re: ]
    #1930506 - 09/18/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

garrison said:
those are rusullas,and if you cook right they are pretty good to eat too.they grow here in florida as well.but,don't take my word for it.PEACE

OMFG dude. That's it. I'm cutting you off. Not only are you amanitaman's puppet, but you're pulling the same thing.
Stop giving out advice if you don't know what you're talking about. You could get someone killed.

Frogger: don't listen to garrison he doesn't know what he's talking about. ToxicMan knows his stuff and can be trusted.

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

#1930542 - 09/18/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

garrison,, I was wondering if you would care to elaborate on what type of russula they actually are??? IE:species.

Also would you mind backing up your claim with some resources,, We here at the mushroom hunting forum,, tend to read up on ID'd edible mushrooms before we actually ingest them.. considering you could die or destroy your liver and be hooked up to medical machinery awaiting a liver transplant; that you may never get due to the fact that liver donors are extreamly hard to come by. It only takes 1 mistaken ID to fall into these catagories,, while your at it how about a few recipes to ensure the hunter, "cooks them right",,, did you even read any of this thread?? Did you bother to link to any resources mentioned above... Before you so boldly stated that these mushrooms are russulas!!!!!!!!

To the mod's of this forum I hope you accept my sicere appologies,, as I know flaming is not allowed.. I worked hard yesterday trying to get an accurate ID,, spent time linking to reliable resources to attempt as accurate a verification of my possible ID as possible,,,"that's a double possible",, anyway,, that's it,,,I appologise.... On with the hunting!!!!!

--------------------

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: purple shrooms [Re: nofind_um]
    #1930564 - 09/18/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's not a flame. That looks more like constructive critcism to me.
The mods feel the same way you do about misidentification. It would have been one thing to say they *look* like russlas, but telling someone that they *ARE* russlas and that they taste good is just unacceptable and absurd.

Garrison recieved a warning for his actions.

Anonymous

Re: purple shrooms [Re: Gumby]
    #1930604 - 09/18/03 09:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hey check out the audobon mushroom guide man,they are in there and they are russullas.I've eaten them before,and I didn't tell YOU to eat them,thats why I said don't take my word for it.Man,I don't know what problem gumby has with me,but he ain't no mycologist,he thinks he is ,can't someone no about a mushroom that he doesn't know about or is he god,and knows every mushroom on this planet?I'm a hundred percent about them go get the guide and you will see.LATER people

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1930612 - 09/18/03 09:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I never said I was a mycologist, but I can still spot when someone is giving out bad advice... tis why my name is Green. I can also lay the smackdown when necessary... and that would be right about now.

Lockeroo!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies