Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: RuralAnomaly]
    #19304533 - 12/20/13 06:59 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I don't think people are being favored. There is no reason why I would choose Dr. Tooty over anyone else on this board, he simply took some stunning photos. It takes a lot of time, thought, and effort to get a photo like that, not just fancy equipment. It's not like we're bribing each other with votes, I don't care who wins whatever print.

I could have voted for myself with the 2nd vote but I gave it to Oregon because he had some cool subjects and got a cool perspective on them. The oysters by the lake are awesome.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRuralAnomaly
Sporadic
Male User Gallery

Loc: Spitzenkörper Ohio
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: Ran-D]
    #19304564 - 12/20/13 07:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

thou protest too loudly comes to mind.  thats not my main point.
why are you so focused on it.  something about MY personality grate on your nerve?  I'd say if so, that would naturally bias any selection, supporting my minor point.

do YOU ran-d, think its 'ok' to change the rules as you go?  that, is my point.

i really dont want this to devolve to flaming.

thank you.

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#19304570 - 12/20/13 07:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hey thanks alot! Its actually an estuary where a river runs into the bay/ocean. Was a great find :smile:

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Offlinelsms
Strangler
Male

Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #19304610 - 12/20/13 07:13 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I voted for Roger Wilco and bonafib, just because I  went with which pictures had the coolest scenery.  :gayflag:

I do like the idea of having two tiers.
It would be kind of hard to do without basically having two contests though wouldn't it?

--------------------
"We cannot proceed.
You cannot rate yourself."
Or can you?

InvisibleNothingsChanged
Striving for Excellence
Male User Gallery

Loc: North/Western WA Flag
    #19304696 - 12/20/13 07:26 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:
I'm going to make a couple observations, I sincerely hope they're not taken the wrong way, or personally, but since in general the board is about learning maybe this falls under it.  It should probably also fall into the 'who gives a rats butt about it' bin and not worth a post, but here goes, since i entered, i figure i get a minor say.

1) if you announce a contest and make rules, its really not cool to change the rules after the contest entry ends.
2) if you say you are going to be the judge, be the judge.  you'll have to make a decision and it may be difficult, but you made the rules. [see above]
3) if you are going to submit it to a vote by the general public, perhaps the photos should be submitted by pm, so that only you as the moderator of the contest knows who submitted them, so its actually a contest, and not just a love-fest.
4) I still think there should be two tiers, one for people that love the photography aspect and invest a lot of time, effort and money into it and produce those really stunning results, and another for peeps that tromp through the woods, not always necessarily looking for mushrooms, but come across cool stuff and document with what they have available, usually a phone.  I think there are more of these than the former out there.  To lump them together is pitting pros against amateurs which as we know from other aspects of life, usually has one outcome.

on a personal note, i entered for the fun of participation and really didn't want/need a spore print, and would be a bit leery of providing the necessary personal info to someone i knew so little (as i've only been posting a short time, perhaps it goes both ways) and didn't expect to win.  That said, those of us who have goose-eggs on display, well, have goose-eggs on display.  Put yourself in our shoes?

i think it was well intended, and a fun idea, but slightly flawed in execution.  I hope this doesn't start some resentment but rather discussion on how to make it better

I agree. (With the two tiers thing) the equipment differences make me feel like an idiot for even entering. The spores awarded for the contest really arn't that inportant. I was just trying to become
An active member of the comunity. Hunting active mushrooms and Id'ing them. It just seems to be shifting towards a photography themed thing. Dont get me wrong. The pictures are great. Mabye I'm just trippin. Anyway. Hope you all enjoy whatever it is you do at this time of year. MAy the best part of 2013 be the worst time of 2014. It allways gets better. Peace and Respect RS Book

--------------------

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: WA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: lsms]
    #19304726 - 12/20/13 07:31 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

same size is a good point,
i didnt have enough time..
i could give a shits ass about who has the best pics... i care how they were documented. I spend about 45 min for every pic i take from start to finish. it takes a long time, but pays off because we have good observations of mushrooms.. i want people to give us more data, i want people to hunt more and bring back eye candy. well get it fixed soon!

--------------------
~~~~~~***Psilocybin Mushrooms***~~~~~~
_________A Practical Guide To Psilocybin Mushrooms_________

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Edited by Joust (12/20/13 07:37 PM)

InvisibleRuralAnomaly
Sporadic
Male User Gallery

Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: Joust]
    #19304889 - 12/20/13 08:03 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Joust said:
same size is a good point,
i didnt have enough time..
i could give a shits ass about who has the best pics... i care how they were documented. I spend about 45 min for every pic i take from start to finish. it takes a long time, but pays off because we have good observations of mushrooms.. i want people to give us more data, i want people to hunt more and bring back eye candy. well get it fixed soon!

thats a great motive.  if thats the end-goal may i suggest the entries be links to mushroom observer or posts that serve that goal in the forum where such information is actually provided rather than only photos?  i didn't even label them although i had id'd them.  i'd be for it.  then you can have ANOTHER (ha ha) tier where microscopy is included.
if you want science, ask for science, not photos.

again, i think tis a cool idea, and very generous of joust in time, energy, and prizes to do it.

aaaaaaaand again as i said or tried to say before, and have commented in individual's threads, the photography on this site is stupendous and has educated me as much as i have time and energy for, so i'm not sure where those comments are even coming from, but if a hiker like me spent even close to 30 minutes on every shot i took, i'd only be fifty feet into the woods before it would be time to head back, and thats not what i enjoy activity level wise.

Offlinenomadbrad
Oregrownian
 User Gallery

Loc: Pacific NW
    #19305168 - 12/20/13 09:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Why are you being so critical to Joust man?  It's his contest and it's really awesome of him to do it.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #19305187 - 12/20/13 09:10 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:
why are you so focused on it.  something about MY personality grate on your nerve?  I'd say if so, that would naturally bias any selection, supporting my minor point.

What does that even mean?

You can have all my votes if you want.

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #19305304 - 12/20/13 09:39 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:
I'm going to make a couple observations, I sincerely hope they're not taken the wrong way, or personally, but since in general the board is about learning maybe this falls under it.  It should probably also fall into the 'who gives a rats butt about it' bin and not worth a post, but here goes, since i entered, i figure i get a minor say.

1) if you announce a contest and make rules, its really not cool to change the rules after the contest entry ends.
2) if you say you are going to be the judge, be the judge.  you'll have to make a decision and it may be difficult, but you made the rules. [see above]
3) if you are going to submit it to a vote by the general public, perhaps the photos should be submitted by pm, so that only you as the moderator of the contest knows who submitted them, so its actually a contest, and not just a love-fest.
4) I still think there should be two tiers, one for people that love the photography aspect and invest a lot of time, effort and money into it and produce those really stunning results, and another for peeps that tromp through the woods, not always necessarily looking for mushrooms, but come across cool stuff and document with what they have available, usually a phone.  I think there are more of these than the former out there.  To lump them together is pitting pros against amateurs which as we know from other aspects of life, usually has one outcome.

on a personal note, i entered for the fun of participation and really didn't want/need a spore print, and would be a bit leery of providing the necessary personal info to someone i knew so little (as i've only been posting a short time, perhaps it goes both ways) and didn't expect to win.  That said, those of us who have goose-eggs on display, well, have goose-eggs on display.  Put yourself in our shoes?

i think it was well intended, and a fun idea, but slightly flawed in execution.  I hope this doesn't start some resentment but rather discussion on how to make it better

:stanhopefacepalm: :seriousbusiness:

Save it for real life.

Breakdown.

A dude made a "contest" on a website for his first time just trying to have some fun.

The end.

:picard:

Dude, last edit, Joust just wanted to give stuff away. Not make a judgment contest.

He is a nice guy who wants to share. Go meet him on a hunt. He always brings gifts.

That is such a cool quality.

He really is a quality guy.

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

Edited by Ganzig (12/20/13 09:57 PM)

Invisibledomesticgnome

Loc: For me to know and you to find...
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: Ganzig]
    #19305431 - 12/20/13 10:15 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Why all the heat?

"This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who"

Joust is doing nice shit for everybody that wants to participate in the name of fun. (the only problem being I'm not winning:mad2:)

Save the drama for yo mama! Let's get back to the festivities and I don't want to hear another word about this.

Thanks again Joust!

--------------------

InvisibleRuralAnomaly
Sporadic
Male User Gallery

Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: nomadbrad]
    #19305624 - 12/20/13 11:09 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

nomadbrad said:
Why are you being so critical to Joust man?  It's his contest and it's really awesome of him to do it.

which part of reading comprehension do you folks not have under your belts?

i find it very interesting how there seems to be a complete avoidance of the actual facts in the matter, and somehow is becoming ad hominem suggestions that i in some way criticized joust.  and what if i did? i mean reallllly. can he not answer himself?  this is his baby.

i don't understand why you seem so bent on browbeating me for asking this.

i ask you again, no 'heat' involved.

did or didn't the rules change in mid stream, and if so, why do you seem to think this is just 'natural.' or something.
do you think that is going to encourage MORE people?
and if you think *this* is particularly hard questioning... yeesh.  grow some...  umm skin.

i'd let this dog lie, but i think i'm learning an awful lot about things other than mushrooms at the moment.

--------------------
bite my basidiocarp

InvisibleGanzig
It's for the street cred
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #19305807 - 12/21/13 12:09 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

:seriousbusiness:

--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #19305864 - 12/21/13 12:29 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:

30 minutes on every shot i took, i'd only be fifty feet into the woods before it would be time to head back, and thats not what i enjoy activity level wise.

Yeas!
and thats what happens a lot, sometimes i expect to go far, but the species say otherwise.

Quote:

nomadbrad said:

Critical can also be seen as being helpful. Id rather take critical, i have lots to improve on...
The contest WAS poorly executed. however my main goal of december went well and im happy with my work!

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:

What does that even mean?

You can have all my votes if you want.

im a little confused to...

Rules change, no one is too beaten up about it. As i said before, theres a lot to improve on.

Half of me didnt even want to code anything, it took a little bit to pull all the photos out (ON MY BIRTHDAY) and worked then to try and make something useful and fun. Maybe you didnt read the rules in the spirit that i have. Everyone would have gotten something, and dont ever try and pretend that DGNOME or some of the other dont deserve votes.. They have been working extremely hard this year, taking shots almost every day. If not posted here, then in the outdoor pics thread.

Im not butthurt, nor am i mad, critical judgment of one another for can be taken in many good ways... but be careful about how you phrase things, even though you may say "its for the best " or whatever, it may still hurt. My birthday was difficult this year, very difficult for me mentally and physically this year. I could give a fuck about contests, spores and everything else... My life is pointless without people to share my love with,

Poor execution:
known for that, get in line :lol:
Good ideas:
i do, but statement 1 haha.

--------------------

:sporedrop:                      "Think about the species, not your scale". -NeoSporen                      :sporedrop:

"Mr. Joust, I see you don't actually partake in the psilocin, but it looks like it may partake in you!" -Gojira

Offlinepouihi
Mary Jane Doe
 User Gallery

Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: Joust]
    #19306391 - 12/21/13 04:25 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

lsms said:
I thought it was a characteristic of only women to be able to go out on a hunt and not come home with dirt under their nails.

:laugh2: We do get dirt, you just can't notice it on account of the nail polish :tongue2:

Quote:

Joust said:
Some sick photography cheat sheets
http://imgur.com/gallery/pDC1X

That's actually an interesting sheet.

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."

InvisibleByrain

Trusted Identifier
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: NothingsChanged] * 1
    #19306733 - 12/21/13 07:41 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

randallsbook said:
I agree. (With the two tiers thing) the equipment differences make me feel like an idiot for even entering.

I have a $100 canon powershot g6, please don't feel like an idiot for not having a fancy camera like Joust or someone else, there is a lot more to photography than spending lots of money on a nice camera.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #19306883 - 12/21/13 08:31 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:
did or didn't the rules change in mid stream, and if so, why do you seem to think this is just 'natural.' or something.

:cryaboutit:

This thread is so silly now.

Edited by Ran-D (12/21/13 08:54 AM)

InvisibleRuralAnomaly
Sporadic
Male User Gallery

#19307376 - 12/21/13 10:50 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ran-D said:
Quote:

RuralAnomaly said:

:cryaboutit:

This thread is so silly now.

no, the thread is not silly, i asked for discussion. instead you choose to be argumentative and derogatory.  Apparently you are now calling me a crybaby i presume?  That raised the bar of adult conversation a bit, didn't it now.  [that's sarcasm, in case you were wondering]

i'll take the time to explain the bits you didn't understand, Ran-D, since you so generously gave of yours.

proposition: This forum is populated by great people.
proposition: Not all people get along well, despite both being 'great people' according to a third party (also a great people)
proposition:  people have bias, conscious and unconscious, positive and negative
proposition:  people actions are influenced by bias [this is not a stretch]
hypothesis: therefore even great people could act with bias towards other great people, consciously or unconsciously.
possible solution: blind voting (ie no names)

proposition: contests and games have rules
proposition: it is not normal for rules to change after play begins
hypothesis: ? I had none, so I asked why

and if you don't think that negative feeling exists on this forum, i show you this thread.  i'm new.  i am being told 'its the internet, relax' by one established party, and called names by another.  and why? because i dared point out some questionable decisions by another established member.  Just how do you think that's going to pan out in this self-referential tank?  So far i see "circle the wagons! there's an injun! get em!!"
the one poster that agreed with me should clue you, but instead he's offered platitudes about a cheap camera and dismissed, much like i am being, only a little nicer.
edit: i missed another agreeing with the tier thing, and pointing out it would make more work - this is true.

proposition: contests are fun
proposition: contests are more fun if its fair and reasonably level to all participants to have a chance to win
hypothesis: catagories to differentiate between hikers and photogs would encourage more hikers who may feel intimidated by the photogs.

- thats why you have a golf handicap for instance.  i am not re-inventing the wheel here folks. 
i still fail to see where any of this is a personal attack.  apparently that's my lack of understanding.

Joust, i am not going to do much commenting on your post except to  say "rules change" and "i could give a fuck about contests" after you start one... weak.  How/when you manage your time shouldn't be an issue.

and happy birthday lol

sorry i couldn't resist.  i am an asshole.  but generally a friendly one, unless bullied.

happy holidays everyone!

--------------------
bite my basidiocarp

Edited by RuralAnomaly (12/21/13 11:03 AM)

InvisibleJoust
Mycotographer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Jousts **The Contest** [Re: Byrain]
    #19307466 - 12/21/13 11:12 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Byrain said:
Quote:

randallsbook said:
I agree. (With the two tiers thing) the equipment differences make me feel like an idiot for even entering.

I have a $100 canon powershot g6, please don't feel like an idiot for not having a fancy camera like Joust or someone else, there is a lot more to photography than spending lots of money on a nice camera.

So much more! anyone with an iphone can get some nice pics. Some of my favorites come from phones.
Some of my favorite pics from this year came from Foxdie.
(phone)

--------------------

Edited by Joust (12/21/13 11:17 AM)

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #19307478 - 12/21/13 11:14 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

1) You're upset because you entered a photo contest where some people actually used cameras. (Why would I carry a cell phone into the woods?)

2) What "rule" changed? I can't find any.

3) Re-read the whole thread and really think about who is being argumentative and derogatory.

4) Smoke a doob and feel good.

5) :peace: :heart:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder