Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991
    #1927183 - 09/17/03 11:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Iraq dumped WMDs years ago, says Blix

No evidence to link Saddam with September 11 attacks, Bush admits

Oliver Burkeman in Washington
Thursday September 18, 2003
The Guardian

The former UN chief weapons inspector, Hans Blix, believes that Iraq destroyed most of its weapons of mass destruction 10 years ago, according to an interview broadcast yesterday.
The claim came on the same day that President George Bush stated more bluntly than ever that there is no evidence to link Saddam Hussein to the terrorist attacks of September 11 2001 - despite 69% of Americans believing Saddam had a personal role, according to a recent Washington Post opinion poll.

Mr Blix, who spent three years hunting for chemical, biological and nuclear weapons in Iraq as head of the UN monitoring, verification and inspection commission, told Australian Broadcasting Corporation listeners: "I'm certainly more and more to the conclusion that Iraq has, as they maintained, destroyed all, almost, of what they had in the summer of 1991. The more time that has passed, the more I think it's unlikely that anything will be found."

Saddam kept up the appearance that he had the weapons to deter a military attack, Mr Blix added. "I mean, you can put up a sign on your door, 'Beware of the dog,' without having a dog," he said, speaking from his home in Sweden.

Investigators with the US-led Iraq survey group would be unlikely to find anything more than some "documents of interest", he predicted.

Mr Blix had previously declared himself "agnostic" on the issue of if or when Saddam destroyed such weapons, and has never dismissed so forcefully the arguments of Mr Bush and Mr Blair.

"Time will tell," the prime minister's official spokesman responded in London. "We have to exercise a bit of patience and recognise the survey group has been operational for a matter of some weeks. And clearly there is a lot of work to get through."

Mr Bush's remarks, made to reporters as he met members of Congress at the White House, place him at odds with his vice-president, Dick Cheney, who sought conspicuously to leave the question of Saddam's links with September 11 open in a TV appearance at the weekend.

"We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved in the September 11 [attacks]," Mr Bush said, though he said there was "no question" that the Iraqi dictator "had al-Qaida ties".

On Sunday, by contrast, Mr Cheney said the popular belief in a link was "not surprising ... we don't know." Victory in Iraq, he went on, would strike at "the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Mr Cheney also returned in the interview to an allegation, attributed to Czech intelligence, that the 9/11 hijacker Mohammed Atta met a senior Iraqi intelligence official in April 2001 in Prague. According to numerous reports, the FBI and CIA found no evidence of such a meeting, and Vaclav Havel, the then Czech president, told the White House that there was none.

But Mr Cheney told NBC's Meet The Press: "We've never been able to develop any more of that yet either in terms of confirming it or discrediting it. We just don't know."

Democrats have accused the Bush administration of deliberately seeking to convey a false impression about the relationship between the terrorist network and Saddam.

Condoleezza Rice, Mr Bush's national security adviser, told a US television interviewer on Tuesday that Saddam was targeted because he posed a danger in "a region from which the 9/11 threat emerged".

Asked about Saddam's weapons, Mr Cheney referred only to the Iraqi leader's "capabilities" and "aspirations", not to weapons themselves.

"To suggest that there is no evidence there that [Hussein] had no aspirations to acquire nuclear weapons I don't think is valid," he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1044511,00.html

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: Xlea321]
    #1927236 - 09/17/03 11:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Saddam kept up the appearance that he had the weapons to deter a military attack, Mr Blix added. "I mean, you can put up a sign on your door, 'Beware of the dog,' without having a dog," he said, speaking from his home in Sweden.

Zactly.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: Learyfan]
    #1927249 - 09/17/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Blix: Saddam destroyed his weapons of mass destruction a decade ago
By David Usborne in New York and Nigel Morris in London
18 September 2003

The Government's case for war against Saddam Hussein was undermined further yesterday when the former United Nations chief weapons inspector, Hans Blix, said that Iraq had probably destroyed its most deadly weapons of mass destruction more than a decade ago.

Mr Blix, who retired in June, told the Australian state broadcaster ABC: "I'm certainly more and more to the conclusion that Iraq has, as they maintained, destroyed all, almost, of what they had in the summer of 1991."

The suggestion comes at a bad time for the Government, as the Hutton inquiry into the apparent suicide of the weapons expert David Kelly nears its conclusion.

Mr Blix, speaking from his home in Sweden, said that he thought it unlikely that non-UN experts deployed by the coalition forces to search for weapons of mass destruction would find anything beyond "some documents of interest". He added: "The more time that has passed, the more I think it's unlikely that anything will be found."

His comments were made as Tony Blair defended his decision to join US-led military action in Iraq and denied ignoring intelligence warnings that the war would increase the risk of terrorism in Britain.

Washington has sent about 1,400 scientists and military experts, the Iraq Survey Group, to searchfor the weapons. But so far nothing appears to have been found and there is mounting speculation that the delivery of a final report to George Bush on what has - or has not - been discovered may be postponed indefinitely.

He also indicated that he thought that the US-led coalition started to backtrack on the issue when it became apparent that nothing was being uncovered in Iraq. He said: "In the beginning they talked about weapons concretely, and later on they talked about weapons programmes. Maybe they'll find some documents of interest." Another weapons expert and former UN inspector, David Albright, said last night that the Iraq Survey Group had apparently failed to find anything significant. They are "not finding the kinds of things the administration expected to find, large quantities of biological and chemical weapons or evidence that they were destroyed prior to the war", he said. Demetrius Perricos, acting head of the UN inspections body Unmovic, said he was unsure that weapons would be found in Iraq. "It's becoming more and more difficult to believe stocks [of WMD] were there," Mr Perricos said. He added that it was unlikely that Saddam could have quickly destroyed the weapons before the war.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=444483

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1927250 - 09/17/03 11:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Heh,

Wait until the Kay report comes out. That should be a doozy. It's written by the current head of their WMD seeking force. He basically seems to think that the US is nuts and they should have listened to the inspectors all along. Rumor is that it also has a small part about illegal attempts at planting weapons. Someone in the top 10 of the defense department was just fired recently for blowing that whistle. Im too tired to look it up, Ive already read it and it can be found (before anyone even asks) It will surely make next years most censored stories.

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1927267 - 09/17/03 11:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Now now, you don't actually believe the total absence of evidence of WMDs and the opinion of Hans Blix over the blood lusting, fear mongering propaganda of our neo-conservatives... do you?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: Autonomous]
    #1927278 - 09/17/03 11:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Don't be hasty Auto,  remember you can't *prove* they didn't exist 6 months ago  :grin:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1927905 - 09/18/03 03:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Alex123 said:
Don't be hasty Auto,  remember you can't *prove* they didn't exist 6 months ago  :grin:

Good to see it finally sunk in.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1927941 - 09/18/03 03:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Is that what your reduced to now? "They did have WMD but they destroyed them all just before we got there" If it is - WEAK! LOL!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: GazzBut]
    #1927969 - 09/18/03 04:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Is that what your reduced to now? "They did have WMD but they destroyed them all just before we got there" If it is - WEAK! LOL!

Is that what your reduced to now? Making up statements for others?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1927974 - 09/18/03 04:02 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Oh how the mighty have fallen!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1927976 - 09/18/03 04:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'll repeat....

Is that what your reduced to now? Making up statements for others?

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1927980 - 09/18/03 04:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You are so dense sometimes! I ASKED if that was what you beleived. I didnt make up a statement and say that was what you thought. All that fast food fat must be congealing in your brain I reckon!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #1927997 - 09/18/03 04:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The title of this thread is misleading and its another guardian article lol....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1928010 - 09/18/03 04:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm dense? Hardly. Go back and look again. There is a question, true. It's follwed by a statement in a way which makes it appear I said someting I did not.

LAme.

The tooth rot must be spreading to your brain.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1928038 - 09/18/03 04:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I know what I said and I know what I meant. You as per usual are trailing in my wake.....

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Blix: Iraq had no WMD since 1991 [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1928041 - 09/18/03 04:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hows it misleading? That pretty much what Blix said isnt it?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1928098 - 09/18/03 04:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

That pretty much what Blix said isnt it?

Summarisation, and your use of "pretty much".... The title doesn't quote any of Blix's barely coherent statement...

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1928111 - 09/18/03 04:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Blix's barely coherent statement

LOL thats weak.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
    #1928116 - 09/18/03 04:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"I'm certainly more and more to the conclusion that Iraq has, as they maintained, destroyed all, almost, of what they had in the summer of 1991. The more time that has passed, the more I think it's unlikely that anything will be found."

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1928127 - 09/18/03 05:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You find that incoherent? I dont. Obviously you have to take into account that it is conversational English and he is not reading from a prepared statement but it is definitely not incoherent.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder