Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Globalization in a nutshell.
    #1926784 - 09/17/03 11:31 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=78&row=1

After a few recent discussions on Globalization, and the realization that most people simply haven't gotten their intellectual feet wet on this one yet, I thought I'd throw a GREAT (and short) article out there for y'all to get the general idea of what the WTO and IMF are, what they do, and how they do it.

After you're done with that article, click "Globalization" - a link on the left - and just read a few articles at random. I'd recomment anything with "Argentina" or "Venezuela" in the title. Then, when you're ready for more (at the risk of repeating myself), read:

"Globalization and its Discontents" - Joseph Stiglitz (the guy in that article above)
and
"Windows and Fences" - Naomi Klein

This is WAY too important a part of how the world works now for us not to understand it... and by understand, I mean Grok, not just a passing familiarity.

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: Globalization in a nutshell. [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1927852 - 09/18/03 05:16 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I am a commerce student and have frequently come across globalization in the course of my study. What do you think about globalization personally?

I think the pros outweigh the cons, but not by much. Traditional shopping/consumption activities has been altered by globalization to varying degrees across the globe. The Triad?s and ?new? countries have remained fairly similar, having been brought into globalization slowly over many years. The NIC?s are adopting the global culture quickly, and are perhaps beginning to resort to localization to preserve their cultural identity and traditional shopping ideals. Rich people living in the transitional economies of the world are accepting of global culture, the poorer people are somewhat reluctantly accepting global culture and still do traditional shopping. The LAW is also divided in it?s acceptance of global culture; the wealthy are accepting of global culture, (in small appropriate amounts) and believe in protecting traditional consumer ideals, while the poor are accepting of what global culture they have been subjected to.

Here are some other good books about globalization:

Canclini, N, G. (2001). Consumers and Citizens: Globalization and Multicultural Conflicts. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press

Held, D. (2000). A globalizing world? Culture, economics, politics. USA: Routledge

This thesis is also good:

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/availab...ntroduction.pdf

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Globalization in a nutshell. [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1929899 - 09/18/03 07:04 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Here's another short article well worth reading --

http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/cancun.html

Kudos to Autonomous for bringing it to our attention.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Re: Globalization in a nutshell. [Re: Phred]
    #1930020 - 09/18/03 07:40 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That's some pretty good reading; very insightful. Pinky, you mentioned in the other thread that you had a problem with this guy's interpretation of copyrights and intellectual property. After reading these quotes:

Quote:

That's why "intellectual property rights" (coercive monopolies for particular producers in rich countries) was high on the agenda but real-life free trade in agricultural goods was off the table completely.

Quote:

...moved on to preach to poor nations that they had better shape up and start regulating their economies more heavily. In particular, they were told that they need to crack down on alleged copyright and patent abuses in their countries...

I believe he is quite specifically referring to Monsanto. Through the WTO, Monsanto is bullying (or vicariously bullying, as it were) developing nations into having to use Monsanto seeds, feeds, bovine growth hormones, grains, etc. And of course, their seeds are all genetically modified; something that I am not educated enough to have an opinion on - other than we need to research the long term and health related effects of, which will not happen as long as Monsanto has the power they do. Nations must use Monsanto product, and more importantly, force their own farmers and cattlemen (etc.) to use the Monsanto products as a base requirement for WTO assistance - financial, military, pharmaceuticals (another point of contention), and the like. It's blackmail, short and simple.

I really think that's what he was referring to, as opposed to having a negative view of copyrights and intellectual property rights in general.

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Anonymous

Re: Globalization in a nutshell. [Re: Phred]
    #1930024 - 09/18/03 07:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Do.......not......understand.......

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Re: Globalization in a nutshell. [Re: ]
    #1930045 - 09/18/03 07:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Told ya it wasn't a simple subject :smile:

--------------------
  --  Howard Zinn

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion