Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJemini
Stranger
Loc: Connecticut
Cooked Jars to hot?
    #1925959 - 09/17/03 07:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everyone!
Well, I'll get straight to the point. I pressure cooked a couple of pf jars, but I didn't put anything on the bottom of the cooker to protect the jars. When I took the jars out, I noticed that some of the brf and verm cemented to the bottom of the jars. Also, when I originally packed the jars with the substrate they were nice and packed, but now since some of substrate concentrated on the bottom, there is about 1 cm of space in the jars. I'm worried if this will mess anything up. I innoculated these jars about a week ago and still no signs of mycelium. On the positive side however, there have been no signs of contam either. I think everything should be fine, but I'm worried the mycelium wont be able to penetrate all the way through to the bottom.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHaveABeer420
G.O.D.
Male

Loc: The Carnival of Souls
Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: Jemini]
    #1925975 - 09/17/03 07:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

IMO...start over, and better luck next time!  :smirk: 

--------------------
I don't charge by the inch I charge by the foot, think I'm lying bitch here take a look...100% U.S.D.A grade A beef, heres my card call me.

Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: HaveABeer420]
    #1925987 - 09/17/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Let them sit and start some new ones. Happens to me sometimes too. I dont think you mixed enough brf in their, and you probley didnt have enough of the substrate packed into the jars.

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: whole9]
    #1926380 - 09/17/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I would try again and not pack the jars. This "concreting" has occured in all my jars at the bottom (it gets worse the more packed the jars are) and it seems to not be adverse aside from the mycelium colonizing it rather slowly because there aren't gaps beween particles for it to stretch over, but it still colonizes nonetheless. Keep it airy so the threads can spread.

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

OfflineJemini
Stranger
Loc: Connecticut
Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #1926493 - 09/17/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think it's because I packed it to tight to begin with. The other jars I made that I started a few days before these I made exactly the same way, except I didn't pressure cook them. Those turned out fine and the myceliuem are growing beautifully, and no concrete whatsoever. Whatever happened, as far as I can gather, happened in the pc.

OfflineLateForTheFuture
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: Jemini]
    #1926592 - 09/17/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I've had this problem before, in my situation it was that the jars didn't have enough water and too much BRF, causing the BRF to sort of "carmelize" a bit making it very dry. This probably happened because you didnt have a rack for the jars to sit on (as you said), causing the BRF to get somewhat cooked. I say just do new jars, dont innoculate those until you have some better substrate for the mycelium to spread in. Better luck next time :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: LateForTheFuture]
    #1927413 - 09/18/03 02:27 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

just put something under the jars next time....i use small tins to raise them about an inch (punch holes in them to allow steam thru.
some people just use a piece of cloth.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Re: Cooked Jars to hot? [Re: Hanky]
    #1929164 - 09/18/03 03:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have the same thing in my jars and I did not use a pc (steamed for hour and a half) and this is having no effect on colonization effectiveness.. it is simply slowing down because there is no cracks for it to grow through along the sides of the glass so it has to eat the cake down a little before it has room to grow... The only thing i have noticed to keep it from happening is lowering the water content of the jars but i have found this to create a less desirable substrate consistency for the mushies, and to not pack the substrate down. And besides the PF tek says to leave it airy for the exact reason i have mentioned. To leave spaces for the threads of mycelium to colonize across. Not to mention airiness would naturally increase air exchange within the jar which is good. If you won't listen to me, listen to PF. Don't pack your jars.

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation