Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

An Undiplomatic Display
    #1925166 - 09/17/03 03:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Article

State Department types were taken aback last week to find that a longtime diplomatic photo exhibit along a busy corridor to the cafeteria had been taken down. The two dozen mostly grainy black and white shots were a historic progression of great diplomatic moments, sources recalled.

There was an original political cartoon from the Jefferson era showing Britain and France pick-pocketing the Americans; there were pictures of negotiations with Indian tribes over land; President Woodrow Wilson at Versailles; former secretary of state Elihu Root somewhere; Roosevelt and Churchill signing the Atlantic Charter; former secretary of state James A. Baker III and former Soviet foreign minister Eduard Shevardnadze in cowboy boots at Jackson Hole; a splendid shot of the old State Department building; and a photo of President Ronald Reagan at a meeting with a very young Colin L. Powell seated behind him.

Then they were gone. And what was put up in their place? What else? A George W. Bush family album montage of 21 large photos of the president as diplomat. He's speaking at the United Nations and meeting with foreign leaders. There are several shots of Bush with first lady Laura Bush -- exiting a plane, touring the Forum in Rome and visiting Japan. (There's one of just Laura Bush and Jordan's Queen Noor at a U.N. conference.) There's one of Bush meeting in happier days with his very good friend Jacques Chirac, president of France, and another with his even better friend, Gerhard Schroeder, chancellor of Germany. There's a fine shot of him yucking it up in Beijing with former Chicom boss Jiang Zemin, aka the Robin Williams of the Middle Kingdom.

The new exhibit -- actually it was on a lesser-traveled corridor on the first floor for several months -- was sent over from the White House at the request of State's administration folks. It's part of an effort to "spruce up the building . . . liven up the halls," one official said. There are other similar photos on other floors, we were told. The old photos are to be re-hung in that other corridor once it's painted.

But such a stunning collection of Bush photos and only a couple of Secretary of State Powell -- both with Bush? "Well, the president is our boss," the official observed.

Quite true. But no picture of Bush swimming in the Potomac?

Our personal favorite is a shot of the president looking out from the official limo in Beijing. The ID placard, done at the State Department, says he's in Tienemen Square.

No. No tiene men. No tiene women either. That would be Tiananmen Square.

It's amazing how Saddam Hussein is an egotistical madman for doing the same thing.

No Revisionist History, eh?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1925195 - 09/17/03 03:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever read. Saddam was an egotistical mad man for murdering hundreds of thousands of his own people, and having his picture everywhere imaginable, not in some hallway in a building.

Anonymous

Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: shakta]
    #1925206 - 09/17/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

what about if you just skip the last couple lines then?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: ]
    #1925243 - 09/17/03 03:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know. It sounds a bit egotistical, but I am not going to compare him to Saddam over it. Pictures hanging in a hallway don't bother me much I guess. So basically, they took down a bunch of photos, hung a bunch of Bush with other dignitaries up, and are hanging the other ones back up in another hallway after it is painted. Where is the big deal, and how the hell is it revisionist history?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1925274 - 09/17/03 03:42 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The article doesn't say who ordered them put up.

My guess is an ass kisser. In Iraq, my guess is Saddam or some who were afraid of Saddam.

Comparing the two is disingenuous.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Anonymous

Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1925298 - 09/17/03 03:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

haha... yes... probably an ass kisser. an ass kisser with poor taste.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1925303 - 09/17/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

What is the big deal though? On another note a Texas congresswomen has sent out letters asking that the put french fries and toast back on the menus as a gesture of good will towards the French.

Anonymous

Re: An Undiplomatic Display [Re: shakta]
    #1925308 - 09/17/03 03:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

it's really not a big deal at all. it's just silly and i bet it looks stupid.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1925322 - 09/17/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm sure it does look stupid. But until the day when Bush orders pictures of himself plastered all over like Saddams were, not just in a hallway, to compare the two is as I said before..... disingenuous. At best.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion