Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Clark to Run
    #1921058 - 09/16/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This is hot off the press and still hasn't been confirmed yet, but it appears that Wesley Clark is joining the race.

In other news, Bush's approval ratings in California have fallen below 50%. With any luck we won't have to endure four more years of this insanity.

Link

Ex-Gen. Wesley Clark to Seek White House

By RON FOURNIER, AP Political Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Wesley Clark, the retired general with a four-star military resume but no political experience, decided Tuesday to become the 10th Democratic presidential candidate, officials close to him said.

Mark Fabiani, a spokesman for Clark, did not reveal the decision, but sources close to the former Army general said he told his fledgling campaign team that he's in the race. The announcement will be made at 1 p.m. EDT Wednesday in Little Rock, sources said.

Clark, who was careful not to confirm that he is a candidate, said in an interview with The Associated Press that there's still room and time for another White House campaign.

"It's not too late to get in the race if I decide to run," he said outside his headquarters.

Asked if he was ready to start telling Americans his positions on domestic policy, Clark said, "I'll do my best, but there will be a lot of things that I don't know right away."

"I want to learn," he said. "I've got a whole period of time. I've got to go around America. I want to talk to people about the issues."

Clark's decision came as Democratic strategists from around the country gathered at his small, low-slung brick headquarters on the banks of the Arkansas river to discuss strategy for mounting a late-starting presidential campaign.

Fabiani, who served as spokesman for former Vice President Al Gore (news - web sites)'s 2000 campaign, is part of a cadre of former Gore and Bill Clinton (news - web sites) advisers, who are now rallying behind Clark. In addition to Fabiani, among those attending the meeting were Ron Klain, a strategist in Al Gore's 2000 campaign; Washington lawyer Bill Oldaker; Vanessa Weaver, a Clinton appointee; Skip Rutherford, a Clinton fund-raiser who lives here; George Bruno, a New Hampshire activist; and Peter Knight, a Washington lobbyist and longtime Gore fund-raiser. Bruce Lindsey, former White House aide and now an Arkansas lawyer, also backs Clark.

Clinton had urged Clark to enter the race, but neither he nor Gore is expected to take sides in the primary fight.

Clark's team was exploring several venues in Little Rock for an announcement, including a park named for World War II Gen. Douglas MacArthur, a Little Rock native. This site would underscore what Clark's advisers consider his greatest strength: his longtime military background.

Clark greeted reporters with a "good morning," as he climbed into a two-seat sports car and left his headquarters. Some of his aides had already gathered for the meeting, including Fabiani and Rutherford. Others, including Klain and Bruno, were still making their way to the Arkansas capital.

Clark, 58, believes his four-star military service would counter Bush's political advantage as a wartime commander in chief, friends say. The retired general has been critical of the Iraq (news - web sites) war and Bush's postwar efforts, positions that would put him alongside announced candidates Howard Dean (news - web sites), Sen. Bob Graham (news, bio, voting record) of Florida and Rep. Dennis Kucinich (news, bio, voting record) of Ohio as the most vocal anti-war candidates.

It would be a long-shot bid.

Just four months before voting begins, Clark would be competing against candidates who have had months to raise money, build organizations in key states and recruit the party's top political talent.

But the strategists assembled in Little Rock on Tuesday are among the party's best. An Internet-fueled draft-Clark movement has developed the seeds of a campaign organization and more than $1 million in pledges.

Clark's team urged supporters from the draft Clark committees to travel to Little Rock for the announcement.

Clark's resume is formidable ? Rhodes scholar, first in his 1966 class at West Point, White House fellow, head of the U.S. Southern Command and NATO (news - web sites) commander during the 1999 campaign in Kosovo.

Clark's local office said no announcement was planned for Monday or Tuesday but it was noncommittal about the rest of the week as supporters anxiously awaited his decision.

Nearly 12 years after Clinton announced his first campaign, Arkansans were excited at the prospect of backing another favorite son.

Jean Wallace, a classmate of Clark's from grammar school, has organized Warriors for Wes, a group of Clark classmates named after the mascot at their alma mater, Hall High School. She said the supporters were ready to travel the country to tout Clark's candidacy the way "Friends of Bill" organizations crisscrossed the country campaigning for Clinton.

"We are eagerly awaiting an announcement very shortly. There are thousands of people across the country doing the same thing, people who have put their hearts and time and resources into this effort," Jeff Dailey, spokesman for Draft Clark for President 2004, said.

The group, one of several Draft Clark groups, boasts of 166 coordinators in 50 states.

"In New Hampshire, there are many people ready to move out if they're given the green light," said Bruno, one of Clinton's earlier backers in the key primary voting state.

Clark is scheduled to deliver a speech at the University of Iowa on Sept. 19.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Clark to Run [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1921064 - 09/16/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Wes Clark has about as much chance of getting elected as I do.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Clark to Run [Re: shakta]
    #1921090 - 09/16/03 10:14 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Wes Clark has about as much chance of getting elected as I do.

Hahahahaha . . . .

You Bush supporters seem to be living in this fantasy world that your man is unbeatable.

Look up the word "hubris" in the dictionary. Better yet, read some Greek tragedy. There's more wisdom in one page of Aeschylus than in your entire worldview.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1921116 - 09/16/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1921243 - 09/16/03 11:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice try. I never said Bush was unbeatable, simply that Clark has no chance. He is positioning for a VP position when and if Hillary enters the race. Hahahah, you don't know what you are talking about.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1923461 - 09/16/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Nice try. I never said Bush was unbeatable, simply that Clark has no chance. He is positioning for a VP position when and if Hillary enters the race. Hahahah, you don't know what you are talking about.

I guess that's what I get for even bothering to reply to someone incapable of putting together a coherent argument.

Edit: typo.

Edited by EchoVortex (09/16/03 10:54 PM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1924508 - 09/17/03 07:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No that is what you get for ASSuming shit.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1924511 - 09/17/03 07:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
No that is what you get for ASSuming shit.

Your mental age drops with each successive post. Careful before you reach negative territory.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1924513 - 09/17/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Good one. You assumed I was saying Bush is unbeatable, when what I said was Clark was unelectable. Pretty simple. I personally think Clark is a hypocrite. He supported going into Kosovo for humanitarian reasons, but not Iraq. WTF? If you are going to justify a war based on humanitarian need Iraq surely qualified.

I also don't want a leader that was so wrong about the war to begin with. He predicted 1000's of soldiers would die in the initial battle, and that it would take months to oust Saddam. He could not have been more wrong. If he is so great, why did Clinton let him get fired?

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #1924514 - 09/17/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Now now ladies, focus....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1924518 - 09/17/03 08:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Good one. You assumed I was saying Bush is unbeatable, when what I said was Clark was unelectable. Pretty simple. I personally think Clark is a hypocrite. He supported going into Kosovo for humanitarian reasons, but not Iraq. WTF? If you are going to justify a war based on humanitarian need Iraq surely qualified.

I also don't want a leader that was so wrong about the war to begin with. He predicted 1000's of soldiers would die in the initial battle, and that it would take months to oust Saddam. He could not have been more wrong. If he is so great, why did Clinton let him get fired?

Finally, you actually give REASONS for spouting off. That's all I was looking for in the first place.

However, your personal dislike of Clark does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that he has about as much chance of getting elected as you do, which would effectively make his chances zero. Although he may have been wrong about the extent of the fighting itself, he was much more correct than the Administration about the nature of the postwar guerrilla insurgency and the difficulties of stabilizing Iraq. Over the coming months, as American soldiers get picked off at the rate of about one a day, THAT particular issue is going to be far more on the minds of the public than any lingering memories of declarations of victory and Bush landing on an aircraft carrier.

As far as the differences between Kosovo and Iraq, you'll have to ask Clark about that. I'm not in a position to comment. I would suspect that the difference has to do with the fact that Kosovo was a joint, multinational effort under the aegis of the UN and NATO, and did not involve a massive occupation, but this is just speculation. Pertinent quotations from Clark would clarify the debate.

If you don't want a leader who was "wrong about the war" then you certainly shouldn't want Bush. He was wrong about WMD, he was wrong about what would happen after the war, he was wrong about the cost, he never had an exit plan, and he still refuses to give the American people direct, honest, and responsible answers about how much this is all going to cost us and how long it is going to take.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1924527 - 09/17/03 08:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Didn't Clinton go into Kosovo without even going to the UN first? I will say that I would rather have Clark then Dean, or Gephardt. Gephardt is one of the worst examples of rhetoric spewing career politicians I have ever seen. I don't necessarily dislike Clark, I just don't like his inconcistencies. I also think he does not have much of a chance because he doesn't have any money to campaign with. It is still early in the game I guess though.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1924549 - 09/17/03 08:24 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Didn't Clinton go into Kosovo without even going to the UN first? I will say that I would rather have Clark then Dean, or Gephardt. Gephardt is one of the worst examples of rhetoric spewing career politicians I have ever seen. I don't necessarily dislike Clark, I just don't like his inconcistencies. I also think he does not have much of a chance because he doesn't have any money to campaign with. It is still early in the game I guess though.

I believe Clinton did have UN support, although I could be wrong. Currently, the UN has UNMIK (United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo) installed there (www.unmikonline.org).

I agree with you about Gephardt. Unfortunately, an addiction to doubletalk and rhetoric has never stopped ANYONE from getting elected. In fact, it seems to be one of the prerequisites.

Clark does indeed have the cards stacked against him to enter this late, but as you say it is still "early in the game." It's a bit premature for any of us to be making any predictions about anything. A hell of a lot can happen in 14 months. A hell of a lot can happen in one day. 9/11 for example.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1924565 - 09/17/03 08:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Agreed. There is something about Gephardt that makes me want to punch him in the face, more so than any of the other candidates. Back to Clark though, I have heard some opinions on why he is running, and I agree with them. Basically the Dems want to see if Clark can put some pressure on Dean's position in the polls. If he can then that might be good enough. If not, I think Hillary will join the race, and Clark will run as her VP. That could be a potent ticket against Bush if the war in Iraq goes badly over the next year. If it doesn't though, I think Bush is a sure winner no matter who he is up against. Do you think Hillary being a woman hurts her chances at all?

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
    #1924600 - 09/17/03 08:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
Agreed. There is something about Gephardt that makes me want to punch him in the face, more so than any of the other candidates. Back to Clark though, I have heard some opinions on why he is running, and I agree with them. Basically the Dems want to see if Clark can put some pressure on Dean's position in the polls. If he can then that might be good enough. If not, I think Hillary will join the race, and Clark will run as her VP. That could be a potent ticket against Bush if the war in Iraq goes badly over the next year. If it doesn't though, I think Bush is a sure winner no matter who he is up against. Do you think Hillary being a woman hurts her chances at all?

I don't think Hillary will run this time. Her strategy all along has been based on the assumption that Bush will be re-elected and that she'll run in 2008. I personally don't like her at all, and I also know that there is so much hatred against her in Washington already that even if elected, she would never be able to get anything done.

Would her being a woman hurt her chances? I think it would. I think Americans still can't seem to accept having anything other than a white, straight, Christian male with ties to the south as President. The only point that's negotiable is having ties to the south. Women, Jews, blacks are still a little marginal to get the kind of broad-based support necessary to win a national election.

I think Clark is reluctant to run (why else would he wait so long?) but both he and many powerful Democrats are worried that Dean is going to sweep the primaries and then lose in the general election. One thing that has to be understood is that Democrats at this point hate Bush with a fury, hate him even more than Republicans hated Clinton. They consider the stakes very high in this next election and want to make sure that the strongest possible candidate is the one who makes it past the primaries.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
    #1924617 - 09/17/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Clinton didn't get the UN's blessing for action in Kosovo or Bosnia....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: Clark to Run [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1924631 - 09/17/03 09:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If that's the case, he should have.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1924706 - 09/17/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Why? He went to NATO. I don't think we should base every decision we make based on what the UN thinks. This is another debate entirely though.

Back to Hillary, I can't stand her a bit. I think what she is waiting for is to see if Bush keeps slipping in the polls. If she ends up thinking a Dem can win, she will have to run, otherwise she will have to wait until '12 to try.

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1926991 - 09/17/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Screw Hillary, Dean, and Clark. Al Sharpton has this election in a chokehold.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Clark to Run [Re: Remy]
    #1927019 - 09/17/03 10:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

He actually impressed me more than most of the candidates in the race. If he wasn't such a racist, he might be a good candidate. I still like Lieberman the best. I think he could get more done than any of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds