Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinehybrIdlumm0x
still in thevortex

Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes!
    #1921799 - 09/16/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Please help me stop smoking. Give me advice or whatever, I just want to quit for good. I have never been able to quit for more than a few days. PLEASE ANYTHING THAT MAY HELP POST IT!!

--------------------
disconnect and self destruct one bullet a time... whats your hurry, everyone will have his day to die... ~ "The Outsider" - A Perfect Circle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCheebatoke
Toker
Loc: Southern TX
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: hybrIdlumm0x]
    #1921863 - 09/16/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well first you need to figure out WHY you have the urge to smoke.. Is it the small buzz? Just the relaxing feeling of actually inhaling the smoke into your lungs? etc.
Or is the urge completely physical and chemical?

--------------------
The only thing permanent is change.

OfflineDadeMurphy
H4x0r

#1921959 - 09/16/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I hope this doesn't sound to cocky but this is what I think...
I think the best way to deal with the addiction is to look at it as a matter of personal responsibility. If you think of your body and its demands as external forces, outside of your control, then the need to smoke is not a flaw in you, but rather is inflicted by/from someone/somewhere else. That approach is error. Ultimately it is by your own will that you grab a cigarette, light it and draw from it. The answer is to simply not allow yourself to do it.

If smoking helps relieve stress from your lifestyle, the same thing applies. Simply do not allow yourself to be stressed, or at least find healthier ways of dealing with it.

I hope that helps and didn't sound really pretentious...
i just quit a minor smoking habit myself and want to stick by.
Peace
-Dade

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: DadeMurphy]
    #1922538 - 09/16/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

take all the cigs you got, throw them in the trash, and bever buy cigs again. Sometimes it helps to give yourself another addiction, that is not as harmful and expensive, like CRACK!! Or chewing gum, or lip balm, or tieing a piece of string into knots over and over again. Tell all of your freinds to NEVER give you cigs and NEVER EVER offer them to you. Or better off, not smoke them around you in general.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: domite]
    #1923105 - 09/16/03 08:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

After you have the mental thing taken care of.. quitting cold turkey can be hard as hell..but you can do it. It's all about your will power. Then there are plenty of items you can get to help you. For example these new lozenges they sell..you suck one in the morning, and if you smoke a cigarette any time during the day it tastes like a combination of vomit/dog shit/rankness... apparently they make you so disgusted with cigarettes you want to puke and never touch one again. Then there is the patch, but that doesn't do much, as you stay addicted to nicotine. I've met people who chewed nicotrol gum, and asked how long they've quit smoking for.. and they said.. three years ago.. I'm addicted to the gum. Then there is wellbutrin, it is an anti-depressant, as well as controlling the cravings and withdrawel effects of nicotine.

You can do it without any external devices, but they can help with the symptons of withdrawel. My uncle smoked for 20 years and tried quitting many times without success...finally he just decided to quit one and for all, and through sheer will power..never smoked again. But why listen to me.. I smoke :P

--------------------

InvisibleTomandjerry58
Stranger
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: Shroomism]
    #1923179 - 09/16/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i think people don't realize how addictive smoking really is.
i know people that go to support groups for that shit. i mean in person suppoprt groups.

Edited by Tomandjerry58 (09/16/03 08:48 PM)

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1923186 - 09/16/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the gum or patch really works

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1923349 - 09/16/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

More addictive than crack or heroin

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1923522 - 09/16/03 10:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

well you certainly don't feel like you "NEED" to stop because you're still smoking them.

Here's the main key:

STOP.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1924088 - 09/17/03 01:32 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

First of all,cold turkey from nicotine is not an easy thing to do. Nictotine binds to receptors in the brain for a chemical called acetylcholine.Basically,as with most drugs,if you use nicotine for long enough these receptors will become desensitized.During the withdrawal, you won't have enough acetylcholine floating around from all the nicotine stimulation (which is now gone) and it will cause things like nervousness and confusion. If you read about hallucinogenic trips from drugs that block acetylcholine in the brain,it's like an exagerated form of nicotine withdrawal.
So that being said,you need to stop smoking from day one,but you need that nicotine stimulation from other sources like patches and gum until your brain readjusts. You most likely have some kind of oral fixation from all that smoking too,so you need to occupy your mouth with gum,lollipos,etc.

Since smoking is a real addiction and can cause horrible health problems,if you try absolutely everything and still can't kick,consider visiting a doctor and possibly receiving some kind of medication that can help you quit such as Zyban (bupropion) and a few cholinergic drugs used in Alzheimer's (sp?) and Parkinson's.

Also keep in mind that you may be using cigarettes as a form of self medication for some kind of underlying mental disorder like anxiety or depression. If that's the case,maybe some kind of antidepressant would help. Or not,you are the only person that knows that for sure.

...just some ideas I wanted to throw around.

Don't give up. If people that are hopelessly addicted to heroin and barbiturates can quit,you can kick your habit.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Offlinepurenergy
see you spacecowboy....

Loc: one is all, one is none, ...
    #1925904 - 09/17/03 04:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
one has lived from an endless past and will live into an endless future. at this very moment one partakes of Eternal Life-blissful, luminous, pure.

Invisiblelearning_byte
click here
 User Gallery

Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: purenergy]
    #1931126 - 09/18/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I quit smoking since the 26th of August, using the method called "Cold turkey". The day before was my bday, and I told myself that after the big party, I will stop smoking cigs.

The hardest part is the first week i would say, and also when all the friends you hang around smoke and you want to smoke, and it is worst when you smoke pot and dont have a cigarrette after, but if you tell yourself not to do it, trust me you wont, put your mind into it and just say no and remember why you dont want to smoke.

I had stopped smoking like a year and a half ago for 3 months or so, that time I realized I didnt have a problem about quitting cigarrettes, so i just went back to smoking.

I used to smoke a pack and half a day. Sometimes more, some less. For a long time.

Now pot is another issue. : /

--------------------

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: monoamine]
    #1936667 - 09/20/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Have you read anything about choline supplements while quitting? DMAE... etc. Of course those diagnosed with bi-polar should stay away from DMAE. I have taken DMAE on and off for mental clarity and have never formed any dependancy on it.

Oh and BTW, I think quitting with someone else is an option worth investigating.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1949656 - 09/24/03 09:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I highly reccomend the patches. Whatever you do, stop smoking nicotine. It's still easier to quit the patch than to quit cigarettes. Use any form of nicotine other than tobacco if you are going to use any at all.

I don't like gum. It causes nicotine to rise and fall and is more about the self administration than patches.

In short: patches.

Get them on eBay. I still have a box of 12 7mg patches I got on eBay for like $5. They were past their expiration date, but they did me just fine.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Re: Please help! Need to stop smoking cigarettes! [Re: Tomandjerry58]
    #1950524 - 09/25/03 07:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah Non-smokers dont understand why it's so hard to quit.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Kratom Capsules for Sale