Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
KARO or HONEY
    #1922774 - 09/16/03 08:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I bought some organic honey. It said RAW, UNCOOKED on it and I followed your suggestions for the LIquid Myclium technique. I am a neurotic fucking crazy bastard and am a little worried about my liqudi M. It's been almost 2 days and I have seen no growth at all. Would Karo work just the same or could this be a spore viability thing?

thanks yo

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMycoCakeEater
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Re: KARO or HONEY [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1923099 - 09/16/03 10:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Karo = good. Try it you might like it.

InvisibleTxTec
Texas home andheart breaker...

Re: KARO or HONEY [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1923113 - 09/16/03 10:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Dont get your pantys all in a tangle cause it took at least 10 days before i saw anything and if you dont see anything in a week thats probably a good thing cause you probably dont have any comtams...
Now you just untangle an wait :smile:

--------------------
I felt a warm warm breeze that melted metal and steele

OfflineAmazonMatt
Mushie muncher

Re: KARO or HONEY [Re: TxTec]
    #1923220 - 09/16/03 10:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I would go with the Karo its crystal clear you can see everything in it. Honey works but it is most often not as clear as the Karo and my first time with a liquid culture I used the Karo Tek on 4 jars and they all had signs of growth the next day used the innoculum 7 days later and had 10 BRF jars runnin wild 4 days after that!! All of my signs point towards Karo

OfflineAmazonMatt
Mushie muncher

Re: KARO or HONEY [Re: AmazonMatt]
    #1923240 - 09/16/03 11:05 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This is really what I meant to say.

Quoting Lichen on his three day old Honey Tek jar: "as of what--three days, now? it is developing a yellowish sort of stuff in the bottom....looks like sediment. I shake it up and it swirls around like a snowstorm paperweight, then settles again."

My reply is:

"See this is the problem with honey. Honey contains "hidden" impurities: wax and protein. When you cook honey the protein denatures, just like cooking the whites of an egg. The protein is not visible in fresh honey, cook it and the protein denatures and coagulates... Hence sediment. The wax, which is emulsified in fresh honey, separates out upon heating and forms scum... Some of it binds to the coagulated protein, some of it floats to the top. Then there is the color, which varies from honey to honey. It all makes it difficult for people new to liquid culture to determine off colors and contams. I am rapidly becoming motivated to do some experimental research with clear Karo syrup, which is available right on the shelf of any decent grocer... "

And so I did. Here is the proven Tek:

Use 1 Level Teaspoon of Light Corn Syrup (Karo Syrup or the "no-name" store brand of Light Corn Syrup) per 100 ml of purified water. Mix it well to distribute the heavy syrup into the water.

You can use an empty syringe to measure out 100cc, many jars are graduated

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation