Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cracked corn [Re: Psilicon]
    #19203172 - 11/28/13 11:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:
Don't mean to be a dick, but I think I would have believed that a lot more readily back in the days before they discovered a peanut plant which had been supplying a total of something like 360 companies and 3900 peanut butter products without ever having been registered with or inspected by the FDA.  They only found it after birds flew in through one of the many holes in the roof and continuously took dumps onto the catwalk, resulting in the most massive food recall of all time.

I'm not saying they're not breathing down your neck--just that they don't tend to breathe down the necks of large operations until it's too late.

Now that I actually checked out that link a bit, did that have anything whatsoever to do with organic certification?  I mean was that an organic certified plant?  or just a regular peanut plant?

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cracked corn [Re: Forrester]
    #19203176 - 11/28/13 11:58 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Now that I actually checked out that link a bit, did that have anything whatsoever to do with organic certification?  I mean was that an organic certified plant?  or just a regular peanut plant?

No, but how much more scrutiny do you think organic farmers are under compared to normal farmers? Again, it comes down to paying people to walk those fields and check, and they just don't have the cash to do proper checks.

When the man shows up, there are more check marks for organic farmers, but he doesn't show up any more often.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cracked corn [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19203178 - 11/28/13 11:58 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Getting a certification definitely means some work. Keeping one? If you don't work for a major corporation (see: not working for Monsanto) in most places, you'll be unlucky to see an inspector every 5 years. Not saying it's always the case, but usually it is. It costs money to send an inspector out. Walking a big commercial farm and really checking what's going on could easily take a week. Big commercial farms take up a large percentage of the farmland in the US. Do the math.

As a disclaimer, I do think it's completely fucked, and I wish more of our tax money went to people like USDA inspectors instead of your senator's 6-figure salary, but it is what it is.

Makes sense man!  Like I said, no experience as of yet but what you say makes complete sense.  Can only say it's encouraging for someone planning to be legit like me :smile:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19203184 - 11/29/13 12:00 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
No, but how much more scrutiny do you think organic farmers are under? Again, it comes down to paying people to walk those fields and check, and they just don't have the cash to do proper checks.

Well, being that organic certification is an entirely different organization than the USDA, and can actually be one of quite a few (there's a load of organic certification agencies), I'd say it could vary, that's really all I could say :smile:

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

#19203803 - 11/29/13 07:10 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
Organic is a stupid buzzword. Ignore it.

With that I agree. From what I've seen locally, organic goods can be so expensive that it's just not a viable option, especially if we consider that fungus just need what is called "food grade" goods. This biologist friend I had once did a spawn on "chicken grade" (chicken food, I don't know the proper word for it) grain. Yes, it was not optimal, but if you're just growing some shrooms for personal consumtion, I guess it's somehow worth it.

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Re: Cracked corn [Re: DannyDGAF]
    #19203810 - 11/29/13 07:14 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DannyDGAF said:
If you need items you can't find locally why not buy it online like from amazon?  I bought my perlite & verm from amazon for a pretty decent low price...

My main problem regarding purchasing online is the shipping cost. In my case that would mean an overseas shipment, which makes it just not viable cost-wise. Friends I have in the US though, they say it's a good option.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag