Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Galindoi & Equador [UPDATES]
    #19199681 - 11/28/13 07:53 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

It's my 3rd try on growing mushrooms. I now see I was very optimistic at the beginning thinking that it would be easier, but boy does this hobby need some patience! lol  I'm super happy anyways with the whole learning experience.

This post I'm just gonna be showing a couple of pics from my latest agar attempt, and in the end I have a question (hopefully Stonesun or Devilstone will get a look at it).

So, I think I have the whole process of growing Equadors handled up to the point where I need to go bulk.
My sterile technique is fine since 90% of the agars I do have no contamination, and even when I transfer to grain they colonize clean and beautiful.
However, as soon as I transfer to my horse manure bulk substrate, I always get contamination.
I have been talking with a biologist friend and he believes my sticking point is the pasteurization technique (pay closer attention to the temperatures), so that's what I'm working on right now, checking pasteurization tecks and all.
For the time being, here's some pics of the Equador agars I have. Out of 20, 18 turned out perfect; only 2 contaminated:

Now, I've also been experimenting with some sclerotia producer (Psilocybe Galindoi as listed in the vendor's website), but I'm quite confused about the mycelium I'm getting in the agars:

I've been reading posts regarding sclerotia cultuivation, and they say that even in the mycelium in agar they don't necesarily have to be completely white as is the case with cubensis.
I've read that it's pretty normal to have some kind of "yellow ring" surrounding the white part of the mycelium, and even that some hues of darker yellow (and even kinda golden/brown) are good indicators of sclerotia formation in agar.

I'm confused because I know my sterile technique is good; otheriwse my Ecuador would be all contaminated.  However, out of 10 Galindoii agars I did, they ALL had those yellow/brown sector.
My question is: do this colored sectors indicate a contamination, or is this just a normal sclerotia mycelium in agar? (And sorry for the not-so-good pics, but I have no camera that I can use and I have to do what I can with my cell phone).

Here are some close ups of 2 of the most colonized agars; in case you guys think they're not contams, I plan on innoculating grain jars with them this weekend! So I'll keep you updated.

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

[UPDATE 2013.12.2]

I checked on the agar petris I had, and I concluded they were not comtaminated after all. The Equador ones are 100% pure white mycelium, and the Galindoi transfers that i did, on checking then daily, began as pure white, and after a major colonization they began to turn brown, but only on the areas that were already colonized.

In other words, since there were no contamns in the petri outside the colonized agar, and since an already colonized agar is highly resistant to contams (plus the fact that galindoi mycelium is different than Equador) I guess I'm just going to take a shot and inoculate some grain tomorrow.

I decided to try some corn, mainly because I could not get any rye, and also encouraged by the great tek TheApprentice has on cracked corn.  However, I decided to do some experimentation as well, and I'm using 2 different varieties of corn.

Here's the yellow one, soaking in a 50/50 coffee mix with 1tbs gypsum:

Here's the white variety, soaking in the same mix:

And here's some of the white, cracked, same soaking mix:

(I just pulled some of the corn to the side so it'll be visible).

I'm curious about the difference in colonization times between the 3, so we'll see.  I might not be able to post updates regularly, but I'll be keeping track of everything and I'll post the updates as soon as I have some time.

[UPDATE 2013.12.4]

OK, I got a problem: my jars dissapeared. Somebody moved them, and since I can't find the, I decided that I'll be using the few I have at hand and inoculate as much grain jars as I can with Galindoi until I can find the other jars or get some new ones.

I decided to go for Galindoi mainly because they are colonizing the petris much faster than the Equador ones, so I guess there won't be much of a problem if I give the Equadors a few more days to colonize and stabilize some more on the petris.

Here's some pics of the Galindoi on Cracked corn:

I have a total of 9 jars, 1 quart each, with polyfill filters.  We'll see how fast they colonize!

[UPDATE 2013.12.8]

I checked the jars, and they're like 10%... So, not at all as fast as what I saw on TheApprentice's tek.  However, on seeing the Galindoi petris that I left them on the shelf, they kept on colonizing the shit out of the agar, so I had an idea, just out of curiosity...

I did a hole outside, filled with field capacity horse manure + straw, and dropped the remains of the colonized agar of Galindoi on top, finishing wiith a horse manure + straw cover.

Everywhere I read they were using grains for innoculating outdoors beds, but I thought what the hell...  Worst case scenario, it'll just go bad, so not much of a difference with some left overs of the petris that I was gonna throw away anyway.  I'm planning to do the same with the left overs of the Equador, so I'll be updating in the future.

Here are spome pics of how it looked like:

(What's visible is just 1/3 of the Galindoi mycelium I used)

And this is after covering it with the top manure+straw layer (I added leaves on top to preserve moisture):

[UPDATE 2013.12.12]

I checked the Galindoi jars, and they are about 40%, so I gave them their shake.  This is how they looked before:

(The back was less colonized, between 2/3 and 1/2 of what you can see in the front)

And this is after the shake:

For the last week I sterilized the remaining jars (I finally found them), and gave them a couple of days to see if they contaminated or not.  They looked fine, so I also did the Equador agar 2 grain inoculation on all yellow corn, white corn and white corn cracked.

Here's a pic of one jar of the yellow variety and one jar of the white variety of corn:

I'll be posting updates as soon as I see something worth mentioning... And as soon as I have some time as well.

Edited by Honguista (12/13/13 10:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledusttodust

Re: Galindoi & Equador [Re: Honguista]
    #19199963 - 11/28/13 09:32 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Honguista said:
However, as soon as I transfer to my horse manure bulk substrate, I always get contamination.

Yes, your pasterization is probably not good. Search for proper pasteurization and use thermometer.
Quote:

Honguista said:
I've been reading posts regarding sclerotia cultuivation, and they say that even in the mycelium in agar they don't necesarily have to be completely white as is the case with cubensis.

Of course the galindoi mycelium is diffrent from cubensis. Im not really sure from your pictures if it is healthy or not. I suppose you inoculated dishes with syringe? You cant be 100% sure its only mycelium i think. Id transfer a piece of healthy mycelium to a new dish and put it on center. Than observe the growth. You should learn how to recognize bacteria contamination on dish. And any growth that  doesnt come from the center of your dish (where you placed mycelium) isnt good. If nothing else grows but mycelium from the transfered piece, than your golden. If mycelium gets colored after it colonized certain part of dish, than you can presume its colored from sclerotia formation. Places where mycelium colonizes dish are very resistant to contams (since myc is already there). After the stones form you can transfer those sections to new dishes to get good stone producing strain acording to RR.

Edited by dusttodust (11/28/13 09:33 AM)

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Galindoi & Equador [Re: dusttodust]
    #19200695 - 11/28/13 12:45 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

it's normal for galindoi myc to have those shadesof brown and it looks fine to me

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Re: Galindoi & Equador [Re: dusttodust]
    #19200973 - 11/28/13 01:58 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I suppose you inoculated dishes with syringe?

Yes, that's exactly how I did it: multispore innoculatin via syringe.  I poured a lot of liquid though, because the syringe was somehow stiff, so I ended up pressing harder and then too much liquid came out and spilling to the sides -thus the bigger colonization patch

Quote:

Id transfer a piece of healthy mycelium to a new dish and put it on center. Than observe the growth. You should learn how to recognize bacteria contamination on dish. And any growth that  doesnt come from the center of your dish (where you placed mycelium) isnt good. If nothing else grows but mycelium from the transfered piece, than your golden.

I've just finished doing that! Thanks for the advice. I transfered mycelium from 8 different dishes to new ones; I'll be paying close attention to monitor for contams.

Quote:

If mycelium gets colored after it colonized certain part of dish, than you can presume its colored from sclerotia formation. Places where mycelium colonizes dish are very resistant to contams (since myc is already there). After the stones form you can transfer those sections to new dishes to get good stone producing strain acording to RR.

Now that you mention it, previous times I have tried to grow Galindoi I have had contams, and they are indeed different.  After reading what you wrote, i think I figure out the difference.

The previous times the contams colonized their own sectors, and mycelium colonized its own separate sectors as well; it was basicaly a competition for the space.
Now, however, there's only white mycelium growing, and the only brown sectors are on top of that mycelium.  So, since it's harder for a contamination to grow on an already colonized part of the agar, I guess it's more probable that it's indeed good sclerotia mycelium and not a contam.

Great post Dusttodust! Very helpful and enlightening. Thaks a lot.
I'll be posting pics with updates as the whole thing evolves.

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Re: Galindoi & Equador [Re: cronicr]
    #19200978 - 11/28/13 02:00 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks as well Cronicr!
I'll be posting pics as soon as the mycelium starts growing on the new dishes.  Let's hope that you're indeed right and that it's some nice healthy sclerotia producer developing in there.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19201040 - 11/28/13 02:20 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Re: Galindoi & Equador [Re: cronicr]
    #19201200 - 11/28/13 03:08 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13090521#13090521:thumbup:

Amazing!!! Thanks Cronicr.
Can't wait to spawn to grain and see how it all turns all this time.
Even if it fails again, the whole process is such an adventure that the experience is completely worth it.
Thanks for all the support.

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19201465 - 11/28/13 04:24 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

no prob:cool:

--------------------

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineHonguista
Master
Male

Re: Galindoi & Equador [UPDATES] [Re: cronicr]
    #19270233 - 12/13/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know if the best way to do it is to post something new for every update or if it's better to just add it on the original post...
I decided to go for option 2, so I've updated my last 2 weeks of work on the original post of this thread.
Any comments+input would be always appreciated.
Thanks!

InvisibleStickyIcky Fingers
Free DOOM!! Available Here

Re: Galindoi & Equador [UPDATES] [Re: Honguista]
    #19271918 - 12/13/13 06:15 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

looks good. Those galindoi jars will turn all kinds of colors once stones start forming

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale