Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!)
    #1916436 - 09/14/03 07:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well in 1999 the WTO didnt get what it wanted and in 2003 they LOSE AGIAN , now if thw worlds people can fight off the FTAA, and bitch slap Nafta and Apec

I am really happy about this , this is the kind of news I LIKE to see!!!!!

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1916831 - 09/14/03 10:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

/e goes off to look up 'news' reports of the WTO meetings...

I wish I could have gone to Cancun to, uh... protest. yah - protest!

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1917137 - 09/15/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Uh... Apec? I can't really think what you mean by this other than "OPEC". NAFTA and OPEC are not related whatsoever. Could you elaborate on this claim?

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: lysergic]
    #1917143 - 09/15/03 12:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

APEC!
asia pacific economic cooperation!!!!!!!

you are just waiting to catch me slip up and say ANYTHING you can prove wrong vecause of other posts anet you

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #1918230 - 09/15/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

what's so bad about international free trade and globalization?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: ]
    #1918244 - 09/15/03 01:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I wonder this too. I admit being ignorant on the subject. Any good links that present a fair assessment of the subject?

Anonymous

Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: shakta]
    #1918302 - 09/15/03 01:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i am not hoping for, but expecting, links on the subject. given psilocybeingzz's passion for this topic, i would think that he might be able to form a concise paragraph, on his own, detailing the problems of globalization and free trade... perhaps even with enough punctuation to be readable. i'd like to see it.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1918326 - 09/15/03 01:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What does that mean apart from being nice buzzwords tho? It's like George Bush saying he wants "freedom".

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Anonymous

Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: Xlea321]
    #1918380 - 09/15/03 02:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"globalization" is a big bogeyman to alot of people. i'm hoping that someone who has a problem with it can define it in their terms and make the case for it being a bad thing.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1918705 - 09/15/03 04:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The way I see it globalisation of itself is not a bad thing. It is the way that it is implemented that is the problem. The rules of the global economy are made by those who are most powerful and as is natural amongst humans they make sure that they take care of themselves first. The main problem the third world nations have is the way agriculture is dealt with. Western governments subsidise the over production of their farmers to keep them in business. This overproduce then gets sold onto third world countries at a lower rate than native farmers can produce it. A good example of this problem are the maize farmers in Mexico. There is just no way they can compete with the cheap subsidised maize from the U.S.
Now some will argue that this is just the way of the world and these countries have to somehow try harder. Another common arguement is that the western world had to develop too so whats to stop the third world countries doing the same? However that arguement conveniently forgets that there were no massive financial powers who we had to compete against and also alot of western wealth has been gained through the use of third world countries i.e minerals, gemstones, oil etc.
Then you have the problem of huge unservicable debts which severely hinders the growth of these nations. Alot of these loans from the world bank etc would have been spent on contracts to western companies.
Also globalisation has lead to a massive increase in currency speculation. I dont know the ins and outs of this but Im fairly sure it can have a very negative affect on some of these countries.

There is no way we can avoid globalisation. Its the way we are evolving. But we do have the choice of globalisation through exploitation or globalisation by fair cooperation.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Anonymous

Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!!) [Re: GazzBut]
    #1918764 - 09/15/03 04:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the specific example you used (the one about agriculture) is flawed i believe.

if someone in a foreign country finds it more economically prudent to import corn and sell it, rather than grow it for sale, what's the problem? instead of farmers, you've got produce merchants.

selling something to someone for cheaper than it would have cost them to produce it themselves doesn't seem like it can do them much harm.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1918871 - 09/15/03 04:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I would have no problems with it if it was actually free. but some countries engage in all kinds of unfair trade practices. the reason the poor countries walked out of the WTO meeting is because of farm subsidies in the rich countries. a group of countries calling themselves the "group of 21" including India, China and Brazil and representing more than half the population in the world contend that the United States and Europe give unfair farm subsidies to their farmers totalling $300 biliion which result in their own farmers being less competitve and suffering because of it.

The US always talks about free trade and open markets but we have some protectionist tendencies of our own here. we demand other countries open up their markets to foreign competition but we don't do the same thing. farming isn't the only area where this happens, it just happened to be the most contentious issue at the meetings. in other words, we talk the talk but don't walk the walk and as long as such hypocrisy exists, the poorer countries in the world have every right to say "fuck you. you can take your 'free' trade and globalization and shove it up your ass".

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!! [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1919021 - 09/15/03 05:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Protectionism is a bad thing no question there, but I believe that the disservice is done to the country with the protectionist laws not their trade partners.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1920469 - 09/16/03 01:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

selling something to someone for cheaper than it would have cost them to produce it themselves doesn't seem like it can do them much harm.

But what are they supposed to buy this cheap produce with if their best source of income is farming? Its not a level playing field. Our farmers couldnt exist without government intervention. I thought that those on the right believe government intervention in trade etc to be a bad thing...but not when its helping us screw with the third world eh?

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!! [Re: z@z.com]
    #1920472 - 09/16/03 01:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

but I believe that the disservice is done to the country with the protectionist laws not their trade partners.

Please explain the logic behind this. Protectionism is there to protect a country not do it a disservice.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect
Male

Loc: OR
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!! [Re: GazzBut]
    #1921063 - 09/16/03 09:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

FOr those of you who would like to learn more about what Globalization (and it's corrolary - privatization), its theory and practice, as well as how it effects the world in real ways, here are your books:

Globalization and its Discontents - Joseph E. Stiglitz
Fences and Windows - Naomi Klein

EDIT:
And, to be fair, here's another:
The Lexus and the Olive Tree - Thomas Friedman
This one is more theory about why globalization should work. Friedman is an economist who came up with the theory. As a theory, it's actually quite sound. In practice, however, it cannot work. In the theoretical world, there is no greed, no hate, no profit margin, no market share, no political gain to be had...
END EDIT

And if you've never read "No Logo" by Naomi Klein, then you should be ashamed of yourselves... Ms. Klein is possibly the best non-political (read: social) journalist in the English speaking world today. These two books are some of the most intelligent stuff I have ever read, and anyone who claims to be interested in how the world really works HAS to read her stuff, less'n they prove themselves to be less interested than they claim.

And here's a reasonably interesting site:
http://www.maketradefair.com/

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Edited by GernBlanston (09/16/03 10:02 AM)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: WTO talks Collapse in mexico!!!!!!!(celebrate!BC STYLE!! [Re: GernBlanston]
    #1921066 - 09/16/03 09:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I will check it out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom