Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineaminitaman
FUK THAGOVERNMENT,IMSMOKIN' BLUNTSAND LOVIN' IT

Loc: Tha BlueGrass State,Kentu...
Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible)
    #1915790 - 09/14/03 05:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hello everyone,I went out hunting today,first I went to a local Horse field hoping to find some Pan Subb's,but no luck what so ever,then I went hunting/hiking in the woods,and found some awesome mushrooms,ranging from purple mushies to orange mushies,Ive got a few of the purple and orane mushies I found in my pic,and the mushrooms I thought might be A.Pantherina are circled in my picture,I know its probably the worst picture anyone has ever seen,but hey atleast its a pic,but anyways,I was wondering if anyone could maybe help me and tell me if I found an A.Pantherina or not,there were several of them growing in a farily large fairy ring,Im taking a print as we speak,but take your best shot at trying to ID these if ya want. Ill come back on later and describe them a little bit better with a spore print color also,but as for now just take your best shot if ya dont mind!,hehe,thanks a million,Peaceout and HappyHunting!!!
P.S.-sorry the pic is so terrible!!!

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle
with tha big mushroomizzle
ya gotta know its off tha hizzle

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible) [Re: aminitaman]
    #1916013 - 09/14/03 06:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The pics are not of Amanita Pantherina. The colors of the warts and the cap would be drastically reversed and there is the thing about you being in ol' Kentucky- that wouldn't fly. I have found about ten different species that I thought were Amanita Pantherina but have turned out to be variations like the cothurnata or gemmata but what you have looks to me to be an Amanita brunnescens. Never can tell with such a variable family of mushrooms. What did you find the bottom right one growing in/on? Looks like it may be a Gerronema because of the size, but who knows, right? The other appears to bve some kind of Mycena. I took a loooooong time to post this so by the time that I type these last words this will probably be irrelevant based on further posts by fellow shroomers. Good finds.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Offlineaminitaman

Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible) [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1916075 - 09/14/03 07:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

CoolCool,thanks buddahthehut for trying to help me out,that sucks about the Pantherina though,I was hoping that maybe i finally found something psychoactive,hehe,but I found the orange mushies growing directly off of a tree branch that had been knocked down in a storm a few weeks ago,it wasnt really decayed at all though,but thanks again for the help!Peaceout!

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
    #1916078 - 09/14/03 07:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck with more and more!

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible) [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1916087 - 09/14/03 07:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

amanitaman: if you are gonna insist on eating amanitas at least be sure to get multiple source cinfirmations on any id before even thinking of consumption. i dodn't wat to read about you in the paper.
good luck and happy hunting.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineaminitaman

Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible) [Re: canid]
    #1916109 - 09/14/03 07:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Definitly,I know concretefeet,I wasnt really planning on even drying them out to eat untill I got a positive ID from you or MJ or ToxicMan,trust me,I would NEVER eat anything untill I knew exactly what it was!And Im sorry for being ignorant in some previous threads to people and saying negative things to people,Im sorry concretefeet,and I will straighten up,you can bet on it!!!I wasnt taking things seriously,and I wouldnt want to be banned from this badass site anyways,Im sorry concretefeet,Peaceout man!

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle

OfflineAjoc
stranger ...than youthink
Loc: Southampton, UK
    #1916165 - 09/14/03 07:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I hope MJ and ToxicMan like you cos if you're going by their words and trusting them, your life could be in their hands.  :tongue:

Hehe just jokin, umm interesting pic!

Offlineaminitaman

Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terrible) [Re: Ajoc]
    #1916290 - 09/14/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

HaHa,real cool Ajoc,naw Im just jokin,I like those guys,I mean ive respected Toxicman and Concretefeet and MJ and GGreatOne since ive been a member here at the shroomery.Peace!

--------------------
its tha big parafenizzle

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita Pantherina???(pics included,but they are terribl [Re: aminitaman]
    #1916591 - 09/14/03 10:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

For future reference, to identify Amanitas we need to see the entire base of the stem. Make sure you dig into the ground and get the entire thing - some of them go down several inches.

To complicate things, according to Rod Tulloss, Amanita pantherina is a European species, described from France. Specimens from North America which have been previously identified as that species actually represent a number of different species, some of which have not yet been named (the same situation exists in eastern and southern Asia).

If you're considering eating them, you should also be aware that they typically cause more severe reactions than Amanita muscaria. They typically have slightly higher levels of the toxins ibotenic acid and muscimol in them, as well as several toxins not present in A. muscaria, such as stizolobic acid and stizolobinic acid. As such, lower quantities should be used.

The most important macroscopic feature to note in the A. pantherina complex is that the volva consists of a rimmed bulb, typically not the multiple rings seen in A. muscaria. In addition, the stem has a ring (in most of the species), and the spores are inamyloid.

The fact that these guys are a complex of species would suggest to me that they should be avoided until we have better descriptions of the various possible species to work from. I have no idea how long it will take Dr. Tulloss (or another professional) to work through it all and publish the information. Those who insist on imbibing should do so with extreme caution to ensure they aren't eating one of the known deadly Amanita species, at a minimum. Keep your dosages low, and be prepared to seek medical attention if dangerous symptoms present themselves. Having a non-imbibing person present as a monitor is a good idea.

I think your mushroom is an Amanita, but I have no idea which species. The photo seems to show that the base of the stem was cut off, including the volva. I also can't tell if the mushroom had a ring or not.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification