Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing!
    #1915759 - 09/14/03 05:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What do ya know!

Democrats Ask Bush to Back New Tax Cuts
Sun Sep 14, 9:29 AM ET Add Politics - U. S. Congress to My Yahoo!

By MARY DALRYMPLE, AP Tax Writer

WASHINGTON - The Democratic leaders in Congress have asked President Bush (news - web sites) to throw his support behind efforts to cut taxes for U.S. manufacturers.

"The American manufacturing sector is in crisis," Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California wrote the president.

"We believe that policies focused on immediate creation of manufacturing jobs in the United States must be our top priority," their letter said.

Manufacturing has lost nearly 16 percent of its work force, or 2.7 million jobs, in a record 37 straight months.

Bush has announced a new post at the Commerce Department (news - web sites) to address manufacturing job losses. The Democrats called that action a "good symbolic first step."

Some lawmakers have announced legislation aimed at preventing China from undermining American manufacturing. They say China has an unfair foothold in the market because an undervalued currency makes their exports cheaper. They want to hit China with a punishing import tariff.

Also, congressional tax-writers have started looking at ways to aid U.S. manufacturers.

Lawmakers plan to debate a corporate tax cut later this year. They must eliminate a $5 billion annual tax break for exporters declared illegal in international courts. The United States faces billions in penalties next year from the European Union (news - web sites) if the tax break is not eliminated soon.

Congress must decide who benefits when they rewrite the laws.

Some of the largest multinational corporations in the country want Congress to update decades-old tax laws and make them relevant to the modern global economy. Manufacturers want Congress to cut their taxes to help them compete in that global economy.

The House and Senate tax-writing committees have started to shape tax cuts that do both, but they have increasingly tilted the emphasis toward manufacturers.

Daschle and Pelosi want Bush to endorse tax cuts that help stem the tide of disappearing U.S. manufacturing jobs.

"If you do, the legislation would likely pass Congress quickly," they wrote in their letter Friday.

Link

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1915774 - 09/14/03 05:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Despite popular belief, Dems don't believe in taxing just for the sake of taxing. Their main beef with the Bush tax cuts is that they mainly target the rich, who are more likely to invest the money, rather than the middle or working class, who are more likely to spend it, thus putting the money right back into the economy, giving it a boost.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineMalachi
stereotype

Loc: Around Minneapolis.
Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: silversoul7]
    #1915788 - 09/14/03 05:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

how simplistic can LDS thought get? any more? no, I thought not.

real "mature" man.

--------------------
The ultimate meaning of our being can only be fulfilled in the paradoxical leap beyond the tragic-demonic frustration. It is a leap from our side, but it is the self-surrendering presence of the Ground of Being from the other side.
- Paul Tillich

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1915829 - 09/14/03 05:42 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Bullshit. Their main beef is that the control of that money left their grubby little fingers.

I believe the main reason for this call for a tax cut is to make it appear they give a shit about the little guy. It's a jump onto the tax cut band wagon.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: Malachi]
    #1915831 - 09/14/03 05:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

What an angry little boy.

Don't worry, you'll grow up someday.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1915871 - 09/14/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Bullshit. Their main beef is that the control of that money left their grubby little fingers.

Well, I guess someone on the right would understand the motives of the left than someone on the left would, right? How presumptuous. How arrogant...

Quote:

I believe the main reason for this call for a tax cut is to make it appear they give a shit about the little guy. It's a jump onto the tax cut band wagon.

The Dems have always been about the "little guy," or at least they have been for the last 40 years. You know why? Because the "little guy" is a major part of the Democratic voting base. The Dems depend on the "little guy" for his vote, because the "little guy" knows that the Republicans get their votes from wealthy capitalists, fundamentalist Christians, and imperialist neo-cons.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1915891 - 09/14/03 06:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Well, I guess someone on the right would understand the motives of the left than someone on the left would, right?  How presumptuous.  How arrogant...

Oh yeah. I can't wait to switch this quote around and use it on the left. Don't forget the claims I frequently see you and others make. The same logic applies. :smirk:

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1915903 - 09/14/03 06:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Well, I guess someone on the right would understand the motives of the left than someone on the left would, right?

Funny, I don't see any lack of people on the left commenting on the motives of those from the right. That would appear to be one of your silliest comments to date. Or are you making a serious suggestion that only those from the left should comment on the actions of the left and vice-versa?

Quote:

How presumptuous. How arrogant...

I'd have picked the word cynical myself.

Quote:

The Dems have always been about the "little guy," or at least they have been for the last 40 years.

Nah, they are about power, and the desire to keep it. The same goes for most politicians.

Your lamest post to date.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1915913 - 09/14/03 06:18 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Which party wants to cut spending?

Oh right, none.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1915918 - 09/14/03 06:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Which party wants to cut spending?

Oh right, none.

Sadly, that seems to be true.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1915936 - 09/14/03 06:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Here's the difference between Democrats and Republicans:

Democrats are black with white stripes>> << Republicans are white with black stripes.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1915962 - 09/14/03 06:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Well, I guess someone on the right would understand the motives of the left than someone on the left would, right?

Funny, I don't see any lack of people on the left commenting on the motives of those from the right. That would appear to be one of your silliest comments to date. Or are you making a serious suggestion that only those from the left should comment on the actions of the left and vice-versa?

But you weren't commenting on their actions.  You were commenting on your perception of their motives.  After I, being closer politically to the people you are criticizing, gave you a glimpse at their perspective, you said bullshit.  Now, I'm certain that many Dems in Congress are just trying to maintain power, but I'm commenting on the members of the Democratic party who are supportive of this, and their reasons for supporting it.

Quote:

Your lamest post to date. 

Well, if that's the worst I've done so far, then I'd say I'm doing pretty well. :smirk:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1915973 - 09/14/03 06:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The same comments apply.

And no, you're not doing well.

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1916761 - 09/14/03 11:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Despite popular belief, Dems don't believe in taxing just for the sake of taxing. Their main beef with the Bush tax cuts is that they mainly target the rich, who are more likely to invest the money, rather than the middle or working class, who are more likely to spend it, thus putting the money right back into the economy, giving it a boost.

... IT'S THEIR MONEY! You don't have to take their money that they went to college(or didn't go) and worked their ass off for! You'd be surprised at how many rich people donate and contribute to the community. And if you tax them more, then maybe they could be struggling and won't hire anyone else??? And with more taxes, well, why give a raise if you're hurtin BECAUSE OF THOSE TAXES????????

TAX CUTS do put money back into the economy. The government doesn't need to put their hands in our paychecks to enlarge their bureaucracy of incompetent, unable to be fired, union workers.(not all but a lot fit this)

The more taxes you ask for, the less gratuity you can expect from the "RICH".

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1916771 - 09/14/03 11:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The wealthy will still be wealthy with or without a tax cut. It's just chump change for them. Wealthy people, by definition, are not "struggling," economically speaking.

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1916866 - 09/15/03 12:28 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Why do you say Bush's tax cuts are only for "the wealthy"? Do you presume that only wealthy people own stocks which pay dividends? I am by no stretch of the imagination "wealthy", nor is my girlfriend, nor my parents. All of us own stocks which pay dividends. So do many retired people who planned carefully for their retirement. Almost every 401K plan run by a manager worth his salt will contain at least some dividend-paying stocks.

I suggest you re-check your premise.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1916873 - 09/15/03 12:31 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Say you're a doctor, and you own your own office. You've got 7nurses, whose salaries you must pay, along with your instruments, the lease of the building, and supporting your family, home, car(s).

You're definition of wealthy applies to Mr.Scrooge rich people.

The wealthy are well off, BUT HOW CAN you make that justify them being rich and already paying MUCHMUCHMUCH more taxes than you ever will by makeing them pay MORE taxes?

I don't understand that.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1916886 - 09/15/03 12:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Who's making them pay more taxes? I just believe that tax CUTS should be targeted more towards the working and middle class.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1916904 - 09/15/03 12:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The tax cuts should be targeted towards everyone. Those who pay the most taxes should not be left out of the tax cuts.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: I guess Dems don't find all tax cut's a bad thing! [Re: z@z.com]
    #1916926 - 09/15/03 12:48 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sure, they should get something out it, but you can target tax cuts based on which KIND of taxes you target. If it's income tax, then the rich are going to benefit more from it. If it's payroll tax, then it will help out the middle and working class more.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion