Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
help with wiring please
    #1915595 - 09/14/03 03:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i've rigged up a tub with a couple of 12V computer fans, and twisted the two black and the two red wires together from both fans.

now i need to get these wires powered up, but i don't want to burn my place down. i'll use a 240V:12V transformer, but is the next bit as easy as it seems (go to an electronic parts shop and attach it up)? or........?

--------------------
buh

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: help with wiring please [Re: shirley knott]
    #1915637 - 09/14/03 04:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I would personally just use a computer power supply. Everything is already done for you.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Re: help with wiring please [Re: TinMan]
    #1915647 - 09/14/03 04:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

you lost me already.

--------------------
buh

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1915955 - 09/14/03 06:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

shirley knott said:
i've rigged up a tub with a couple of 12V computer fans, and twisted the two black and the two red wires together from both fans.

now i need to get these wires powered up, but i don't want to burn my place down. i'll use a 240V:12V transformer, but is the next bit as easy as it seems (go to an electronic parts shop and attach it up)? or........?

Yes it's that simple. The 240 volt part threw me for a sec but you're not from the "real" world!  :lol:

As for the transformer I assume you're talking about the simple plug into the wall type such as you'd use to plug in a walkman or some such device?

Look at the current rating on the fans. You'll probably see it rated in either "ma" or "amps". Whatever it is be sure the transformer will carry the load. 1000ma = 1amp.

For example....
Each fan draws 600ma. You'd need a transformer that would handle 1.2 amps or 1200ma.

Go a little oversize. Perhaps 1.5 amps using the example.

Some of those fans draw over an amp each, so you may need a seperate transformer for each.

The "computer power supply" suggestion was a good one although you already have the fans it seems. You could have taken the power supply out of a scrap puter and mounted it and the enclosed fan to your tub.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Re: help with wiring please [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1915988 - 09/14/03 06:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thankyou. they're only 0.15 - 0.18A each, so i'm not worried about the current. now i have to decide if and how to filter these things. i know it's not the most practical design, but it's more the fun of rigging it up. :tongue:

transformers.... robots in disguise  :cool:

--------------------
buh

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1916193 - 09/14/03 08:01 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You're best bet is probably to use a computer power supply.

Do you have any old computers or computer cases laying around? If you do, take out the power supply. If you don't know what it is...it's the metal box INSIDE the computer where the power cord plugs in the back and it has a whole bunch of red, yellow, black and assorted other colored wires coming out inside the case.

You'll need an AT power supply (from an older computer, pre pentium-2). They are the ones that have an actual switch of some kind attatched to a longer thick black cable that comes out beside the colored wires.

On each of the sets of red/black/black/yellow plugs, the red wires are +5V and the yellow wires are +12V. The black wires are both ground.

So all you do is connect the black wires from the fans to one of the black wires on the power supply, and the red wire from the fans to the YELLOW wires on the power supply (cause the red are only 5V).

Hope that helps :smile:

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: help with wiring please [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1922925 - 09/16/03 09:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't mean using the power supply for its fan, I meant using it for its connections...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology