Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

my first grain jar! PICS question about GE
    #19140900 - 11/15/13 01:02 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

hi guys, this is my first ever grain jar, at this point is 99% colonized but it took 5 weeks to get to this point(one shake at 25% colonization) from pink buffalo MS

Did I mess with the syringe filter port for GE?why such slowww colonization time. My 2nd batch of 13 brf cakes will be ready for fruiting in a couple of days and the grain jar is not full colonized yet(they were all both inoculated at the same date)

grain jar looks healthy to me , no off colors all pasty white everywhere

next week I'm gonna make some grain LC and inoculate some rye grain and  some more brf cakes, any suggestion are welcome since this is my first time trying my hand at LC and grains

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: loki44]
    #19143872 - 11/16/13 01:48 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

My advice is to skip LC and go straight to bulk.

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: Psilicon]
    #19143909 - 11/16/13 02:05 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:

That is damn good advice....

InvisibleLiquidGlass
Glass Blower
 User Gallery

Loc: Pee En Double You
Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: PussyFart]
    #19143998 - 11/16/13 02:37 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

What kind of grains? how did you prepare them? What temp was it colonizing at?

--------------------
Some art I've made Glass Art Gallery

I was raised a christian and was a stone-faced acid head
- Ken Kesey

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: LiquidGlass]
    #19148330 - 11/17/13 03:18 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

LiquidGlass said:

rye grains from the health store
soaked for 24 hours with water, some coffee and a pinch of gypsum
simmered for 10 mins and rinsed in a colander until dry
cooked at around 17 psi for 90 mins
inoculated with MS syringe 24 hours after sterilization
temp kept around mid 70's

the only variables I could messed up would have been humidity(maybe to dry) or GE, I say this because I see no contams in the jar everything is white stringy cube misc, and all my 13 brf cakes came out clean with no contams either

I inoculated is SAB with proper sterile procedure, but somehow along the way I fucked up something because 5 weeks is slow even for MS inoculation right?

I got the syringe filter from a sponsor, but I'm not sure if they are optimal for GE :shrug:

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: Psilicon]
    #19148339 - 11/17/13 03:25 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:

I only have half one pint of colonized grains and  I'm planning to knock out 10-20 jars of grains for my first bulk grow, plus some 12 jars of brf cakes (3rd batch)not enough inoculant. Unless I order more syringes which I don't want to.

OfflineOgreLokon
Pretty Fun Guy
Male

#19148344 - 11/17/13 03:28 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
Quote:

LiquidGlass said:

rye grains from the health store
soaked for 24 hours with water, some coffee and a pinch of gypsum
simmered for 10 mins and rinsed in a colander until dry
cooked at around 17 psi for 90 mins
inoculated with MS syringe 24 hours after sterilization
temp kept around mid 70's

the only variables I could messed up would have been humidity(maybe to dry) or GE, I say this because I see no contams in the jar everything is white stringy cube misc, and all my 13 brf cakes came out clean with no contams either

I inoculated is SAB with proper sterile procedure, but somehow along the way I fucked up something because 5 weeks is slow even for MS inoculation right?

I got the syringe filter from a sponsor, but I'm not sure if they are optimal for GE :shrug:

MS is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #19148345 - 11/17/13 03:28 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

I only have half one pint of colonized grains and  I'm planning to knock out 10-20 jars of grains for my first bulk grow

G2G the pint out to 10 more jars.....then g2g those 10 out to 100...then you have plenty of inoculant.

OfflineOgreLokon
Pretty Fun Guy
Male

#19148347 - 11/17/13 03:28 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

I only have half one pint of colonized grains and  I'm planning to knock out 10-20 jars of grains for my first bulk grow, plus some 12 jars of brf cakes (3rd batch)not enough inoculant. Unless I order more syringes which I don't want to.

Unless you don't make prints, you'll never have to buy a syringe again.

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

#19148371 - 11/17/13 03:43 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
]
G2G the pint out to 10 more jars.....then g2g those 10 out to 100...then you have plenty of inoculant.

LC vs g2g...I feel a little anxious about open a colonized jar in a SAB, I imagine is gonna end up in a big contaminated mess with all the nasties floating around, decisions decisions

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #19148384 - 11/17/13 03:53 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
LC vs g2g...I feel a little anxious about open a colonized jar in a SAB, I imagine is gonna end up in a big contaminated mess with all the nasties floating around, decisions decisions

First of all, if there are "nasties" floating around in your still air box the air is obviously not still enough...let it settle before working.

Each jar is open for no more than 3 seconds, in a still, contam free environment.

I have done this many, many times in my SAB.....

LC is just a big waste of time if you ask me....

Instead of waiting a few weeks for the LC to colonize as well as test jars, to then just inoculate grains anyway, you could have just inoculated a grain jar or 2 and G2Ged them out.

You could have 100 quarts ready to go by the time the LC has been tested, and saved a bunch of time and heartache over a contaminated LC.

Then, when you take into consideration that no spore print or syringe is ever 100% clean, and that LC is the perfect breeding ground for everything not fungi, does the risk really outweigh the benefit?

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

#19148411 - 11/17/13 04:12 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

loki44 said:

First of all, if there are "nasties" floating around in your still air box the air is obviously not still enough...let it settle before working.

Each jar is open for no more than 3 seconds, in a still, contam free environment.

Instead of waiting a few weeks for the LC to colonize as well as test jars, to then just inoculate grains anyway, you could have just inoculated a grain jar or 2 and G2Ged them out.

You could have 100 quarts ready to go by the time the LC has been tested, and saved a bunch of time and heartache over a contaminated LC.

Then, when you take into consideration that no spore print or syringe is ever 100% clean, and that LC is the perfect breeding ground for everything not fungi, does the risk really outweigh the benefit?

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

loki44 said:

I don't understand why you say LC is prone to contamination, this is a GRAIN LC, the only thing I have to do is add sterile water, shake the jar, extract the mycelium laden water into a couple 60 ml syringes and bang ready to go.If my grain jar is contaminated is not gonna make a damn difference if I do g2g or LC , is gonna end up contamed anyways. I rather expose the surface of a needle to open air than a whole opened jar, care to explain why this type of LC is alot worse?

and besides since is my first time it prbly gonna take me more than 3 secs since I've never done it before, prbly will get clumsy trying to beat the clock lol. I know g2g is more CONVENIENT, just not entirely sure is the best route for a noob like me

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #19148424 - 11/17/13 04:20 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
I don't understand why you say LC is prone to contamination, this is a GRAIN LC, the only thing I have to do is add sterile water, shake the jar, extract the mycelium laden water into a couple 60 ml syringes and bang ready to go.If my grain jar is contaminated is not gonna make a damn difference if I do g2g or LC , is gonna end up contamed anyways. I rather expose the surface of a needle to open air than a whole opened jar, care to explain why this type of LC is alot worse?

G2G jars are not exposed to "open air", no one does that, that is just silly.

Working In a SAB is not the same as working in open air.

You are right tho, if your grain jar is contaminated you are fucked regardless, but transferring the mycellium to water, then into a syringe, automatically opens new doors for contams regardless of what you think....what if the water was not completely sterile, or the syringe, or the needle?

Pouring grains from one jar to another in a "still air" environment is less work, and less risky, because you are manipulating the mycellium less....period.

That's my take on it.

Quote:

loki44 said:
and besides since is my first time it prbly gonna take me more than 3 secs since I've never done it before, prbly will get clumsy trying to beat the clock lol. I know g2g is more CONVENIENT, just not entirely sure is the best route for a noob like me

I felt the same way before my first transfer....I was clumsy...I did fumble jars left and right....still succeeded..cannot say that about my LC or GLC attempts......it is all documented here somewhere.....

Just try it.....there is a very high chance of you never want to touch a syringe again......

Edited by PussyFart (11/17/13 04:22 AM)

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

#19148465 - 11/17/13 04:41 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

I felt the same way before my first transfer....I was clumsy...I did fumble jars left and right....still succeeded..cannot say that about my LC or GLC attempts......it is all documented here somewhere.....

Just try it.....there is a very high chance of you never want to touch a syringe again......

so did you fail with GRAIN LC? you had apparently healthy fully colonized jar and everything turned to shit after inoculation? that's  discouraging...

I will try g2g at some point. I just though it would be safer going by the way of the needle first.When I get to the point I have a few fully colonized grain jars I will dive into g2g. maybe I will use the grains of this jar for g2g after milking the mycelium water...thanks for the advice anyway. I know by reading other posters that people here favor g2g over anything else. It just seems counter intuitive to me to do it first

Offlineloki44
non serviam
 User Gallery

#19148480 - 11/17/13 04:51 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

G2G jars are not exposed to "open air", no one does that, that is just silly.

Working In a SAB is not the same as working in open air.

I didn't mean "open air" literally. I meant an environment where there are contaminants present, a SAB is not sterile

Edited by loki44 (11/17/13 04:54 AM)

Offlineblueconfusion
Strangest
 User Gallery

#19148484 - 11/17/13 04:56 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

G2G is so much better I have no idea why you would want to introduce a possible contaminated needle syringe water or whatever to your grow.  I just did G2G this morning in my SAB I know by tomorrow morning I will have full recovery zero contams and by the end of the week I'll be doing a 40% shake.  With an LC I'd be waiting 3 or 4 days for growth, so even without the contamination factor my G2G will have a faster turnaround. :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineblueconfusion
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: my first grain jar! PICS question about GE [Re: blueconfusion]
    #19148486 - 11/17/13 04:58 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I've done GLCs and LCs but a after doing G2G I wish I would've skipped that whole mess.

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #19148487 - 11/17/13 05:01 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

loki44 said:
I didn't mean "open air" literally. I meant an environment where there are contaminants present, a SAB is not sterile

Sterility is not what you are trying to achieve....a still air environment is...

If the air is still, contams cannot blow onto your work.

I like to keep the walls of my SAB wet with alcohol(some people use soapy water)...this traps contams and makes them stick to the walls.

I use a wet 10% bleach soaked towel in the bottom of my SAB....this allows contams in the air to fall, but not really bounce back up.

When I open my grain jars, there is not really any time for contams to find their way in my jars....I am swift and confident in my movements.

It takes less than 20 seconds for the air in the box to settle enough to work......any of this make sense yet....it really does work....

Edited by PussyFart (11/17/13 05:02 AM)

Offlinefrenchfries
friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: MO
    #19148488 - 11/17/13 05:02 AM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I just did my first gtg last weekend.  I was a nervous wreck about it but just like all other things in life worth having/doing I had to grow some gonads and do it.  This week I would never consider buying a spore syringe again. :smile:

--------------------
"Oh Krishna I have no desire for victory or for a kingdom or pleasures.' "Even if they were to kill me I would not want to kill them not even to become the ruler of the world."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures