Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
C. comatus characteristics
    #1913383 - 09/13/03 07:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

my neighbor has recurring fruitings of C. comatus in her yard. they use chemical herbicides and fertilizers and i usualy note deformities in at least on specimen from every fruiting. these are usualy a opening in the cap exposing the gills inside and sometimes actualy rosecomb deformities.

one thing i have just rescently noticed is that the flesh of the caps is verry thick [up to 2/3 cm in 4in. tall caps]. this may be normal i know but i've never seen it before. my question is had anyone else ever noticed this in specimens of C. comatus? i'm kind of curious. i've never noticed thickness of the cap flesh noted in any description of this species.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: C. comatus characteristics [Re: canid]
    #1913572 - 09/13/03 08:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Interesting question. I looked in a few books and found a nice cross section photo in Roger Phillips. The flesh is thin, and the only thickened part in the photo is the portion of the cap over the stem.

Coprinus as a genus tends towards thin fleshed caps.

I wonder if the ones you've found are a different strain or altered from exposure to the various chemicals.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: C. comatus characteristics [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1913623 - 09/13/03 09:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I wonder if the ones you've found are a different strain or altered from exposure to the various chemicals.

that has been my hypotheisis aswell.

every collection i have ever found of C. comatus has been thin fleshed in the cap untill i moved here.
this is the second location i have found these deformed fruitings. the other was at my college campus wich i commented on a while back in another thread.

i have been learry of eating them and on this occasion i even opted not to gove a definate id to my neighbor. i do not believe i am mistaken on my id as this is a verry distinctive species and an even more distinctive genus. i'm a bit stumped. i'll try to post pictures of any later fruitings once i can replace the battery in my gf's digital camera illustrating the thick flesh.

thanks for your input TM as ihold your oppinion in high regaurd.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification