Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
trouble drying bulk fruits
    #1852141 - 08/26/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

having trouble drying some bulk fruits...they have been fan drying under a large, powerful fan for 24 hours and there is still lots of moisture in the stalk. don't want to lose potency! is there a good technique someone can share?

--------------------
Be Here Now

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineZeppelin
I'm Gonna BurnOne Down.

Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: I_Stain_Blue]
    #1852273 - 08/26/03 05:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

--------------------
I'm afraid of losing my obscurity.
Genuineness only thrives in the dark.

Like celery. ~Aldous Huxley

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: Zeppelin]
    #1852439 - 08/26/03 06:21 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

SIGH!!!
naturally have read the FAQ on this topic... no experience drying large, bulk fruits ... the FAQ methods are not proving effective

so, once again, anyone have any special techniques for especially large fruits?

--------------------
Be Here Now

OfflineGoodOlBattonAss
Stranger

#1853089 - 08/26/03 09:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

1. Get a rubbermaid tub, the largest fan that you can fit in the tub, and some damprid.

2. Put the fan and damprid at the bottom with the mushrooms resting on the screen above.

This is the quickest way I have found to dry shrooms big or small. And it takes out the fan drying step.

--------------------

Invisiblee7c
xyz
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: GoodOlBattonAss]
    #1853137 - 08/26/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

you may want to cut the mushrooms in half, lengthwise, to assist in drying extra large ones

InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: GoodOlBattonAss]
    #1853325 - 08/26/03 10:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hey goodol, does it take a lot of damprid? is one of those little buckets enough? or does it take 2 or three? how do you suggest holding the fungus up above the fan and desiccant?

--------------------
Be Here Now

InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
    #1853859 - 08/27/03 02:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

resting on a screen above... im guessing with a wire mesh we like to call a screen. depends how many shrooms you are drying, but the more damprid should help dry faster.

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1854163 - 08/27/03 07:59 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When I used to do such things. . .

The fan would be placed on its back, pointing upward.  Some fans, like the desk fan would have the blades elevated when positioned like that. . .the box fan needed some supports to elevate it a little.  It's important to have a couple inches of airspace below the fan for airflow.  Even the largest fruits, when placed on the grill, would be exposed to such a large airflow they would dry in a couple of days.  Simply pointing a fan down at fruits does not give the same drying intensity as ones right on the grill itself.  I'd avoid cutting them, but that's more for aesthetics sake :wink:  Some folks use a little heat to speed things along, but that's a personal call.
Dessicant finishes the job nicely with big fruits, but only if the fan has done the majority of the work already. 

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: Suntzu]
    #1854185 - 08/27/03 08:12 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

> Even the largest fruits, when placed on the grill, would be exposed to such a large airflow they would dry in a couple of days.

My friend would do the same thing.  He had to cover the grill of the fan with some window screen to keep the smaller chunks from falling through as they dry... when the fruit starts to dry it becomes airborn.  :grin:  (It also helps to tape cardboard around the fan to form a fence so the dry fruit doesn't launch off the side.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
    #1858887 - 08/28/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

use a food dehydrator. your mushies will be cracker dry in less than a day. get one with adjustable heat(use low setting) and a fan. despite what the FAQ claims, any loss in potency is negligable. the most potent shrooms i ever ate were dried in a food dehydrator that operated on heat only.

peace
BF

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

Offlinepure999
Stranger
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: BrainFarmer]
    #1880711 - 09/04/03 09:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hi,
trouble drying in bulk? i closed off the end of a hall in my basement. simply installed a small fan and a dehumidifier from sams club. the dehumudifier produces heat and will heat the room to approx 85-90 deg F. repeat readings from a sling psychrometer indicate a relative humidity of approx 15% depending on how often you open the room to air (am in GA and the rel humid is usually about 90%)
i am limited by the amount of weight that can be dried by the capacity of the dehumidifier (mine is a cheap one $140 and only does 40 pints per 24hours, i.e., about 20L) i try to limit the total weight to about forty pounds per batch> they are left in the drying room three to four days>

peace

OfflineHigh_On_Magic
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: pure999]
    #1912705 - 09/13/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i wouldnt use damp rid, that stuff gets pricey and it pretty much pulls out the moisture by equal volumes, like one cup damprid will remove one cup of water from your mushis. there also a decent way of using like a 75 watta clip lamp and you get a black tshirt, put a thermometer under the shirt with the lamp about a foot and a half above, check about an hour later. tryin not to go above 80 degrees, adjust accordingly. but my prefered method is a dehydrater, things are the SHIT. steal your moms steal your grandmas get one at a garage sale. make sure you put a dimmer light switch on it if it doesnt have a temp adjustment on it. cuz it needs to be a lil lower on the heat. but these things work like a charm, and i can make my beef jerky while im at it. haha

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: High_On_Magic]
    #1912711 - 09/13/03 01:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

cut 'em in half, long ways and stick dem MoFo's in some Hi and dry

--------------------
Live each day like it will be your last, tomorrow my never come.
SporeSmart

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Re: trouble drying bulk fruits [Re: UncleMike]
    #1915354 - 09/14/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I sat some mosters on my fan grill once, and they fell through and got chopped up. It always took me forever to dry big fruits, thats why I like working with smaller strains

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract