Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Rebellion
    #1910971 - 09/12/03 10:38 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Hi all,

It has been many months since I posted here. I am a debating
junky and I have yet to find a politically oriented bulletin board
that is up to par with the Shroomery's political forum. So, I thought
I would take a look to see what was going on here nowadays.

Here is a small essay I whipped up quickly on the subject
of rebellion:

I live in a free and permissive society; where there are not any massive problems and injustices facing the general population. Yet, we still have rebels. Certainly there are rebels in this world who are truly influenced by what they believe to be a just cause, and who undertake action to prove it. But, from what I have seen from rebellion in my own time, I have noticed some disdainful things.

Every system of thought and every branch on the ideological spectrum has extremists. Unfortunately, they have a tendency to impact the rest of their fellow man in the pursuit of what they think is right. It is an unfortunate truism that every system of thought will eventually end up being perverted and polluted by over-zealous, stupid, or power-hungry people. Systems of thought that are based upon rebellion are no exception.

The trappings of rebellion are many. All too often the people who engage in it are merely trying to establish an identity. They make every effort to appear adventurous, original, and intelligent. Most of the time they tend to stick to paths of action that could be termed "acceptable rebellion". This type of rebellion is usually carefully choreographed, and in actuality quite acceptable.

Rebels are almost always vain. They either rebel to attain a certain image, to try to prove their intelligence, or to experience the excitement that comes with being involved in something. Rebellion tends to make one feel special.

People become so enamored by the thrill of rebellion that they let it control them. They delight in the rejection of authority. Whether it is an attempt to assert one's individuality, to respond to perceived hypocrisy and injustice, or to just reject for the sake of rejecting, it is always fraught with flaws. I personally fail to see how conforming to rebellion is an exercise in free will.

Often rebels associate with, or declare themselves to be, the "downtrodden". I do not trust the downtrodden's intentions. I can't help but have reactionary feelings when it comes to any person or group who portrays themselves as being disadvantaged. They clamour for equality and justice, and yet when they get it, they continue to complain by claiming that they don't have it yet. They are adept in the art of portraying their victimhood in the most exaggerated ways. They use their sense of victimhood to gather sympathy and support.

People who feel that they have been wronged often do not act with restraint and logic. They are often cynical, irrational, ill tempered, and blind to reality. Their actions are oftentimes more reprehensible than the actions of the "advantaged". They feel as if all of their actions are justified, no matter how egregrious they are. The downtrodden will never admit it, but what they want is not equality, but power and revenge.

When the downtrodden gain the advantage, they always retaliate against their perceived former oppressors with absolute ruthlessness. The unrestrained zeal in which they wield their power, is justified in their minds because of their perceived past treatment. Soon, the former oppressed become oppressors
themselves, and the cycle starts all over again.

RandalFlagg

P.S. I am not in any way saying that one should blindly follow authority. But, I don't feel that one should blindly follow rebellion either.

Edited by RandalFlagg (09/12/03 10:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Rebellion [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1911208 - 09/13/03 12:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Good essay. Have you read "The True Believer" by Eric Hoffer? A part of your essay prompted me think of that.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Rebellion [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #1911687 - 09/13/03 03:44 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice to see you back Randall.

Unfortunately when you list rebels and non-rebels the list tends to come out looking something like this:

Rebels: John Lennon, Bill Hicks.

Non-rebels: Ronald Reagan, The Spice Girls.

Perhaps there's something to rebellion after all.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Rebellion [Re: Xlea321]
    #1912288 - 09/13/03 12:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice to see you back Randall.

Hey Alex!  Long time, no argue  :smile:

Unfortunately when you list rebels and non-rebels the list tends to come out looking something like this:

Rebels: John Lennon, Bill Hicks.

Non-rebels: Ronald Reagan, The Spice Girls.

Perhaps there's something to rebellion after all.

Admittedly, rebellion is sometimes desirable and necessary to combat
authority that is truly unjust and oppressive.  I just think that
rebellion is oftentimes entered into haphazardly and for the wrong
reasons.  And, it is easy to allow one's self to be controlled by
it.

RandalFlagg 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion