Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHertyar
The guy nextdoor

Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard?
    #1910900 - 09/12/03 10:18 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hey all!

M y friend and I are noobs, I'm doing the research and he's doing the growing, and after spending SEVERAL hours reading teks over the last few weeks, I began to think, As long as he can follow directions and what appears to be some very fundamental laws like, sterilization, humidity, and temp, It seemed he could not go wrong with casing. However, after serching for posts on the same topic I'm having second thoughts. :confused: I've talked to him about the perlite teck with the 50/50 teck. He just so happens to have ulrasonic humidifier but tecks on that seem involved with more room for error. The perlite teck seems the most fool proof. :nut: It looks like contams are the biggest risk when casing, but if he keep things clean, what else could go wrong? Ive read tecks that say "NOWAY go for cakes first time", then others that say "Ah it's easy, I had success the 1st time, and here's how" Any input would be great!
Thanks!

--------------------
Doesn't have the patience to grow shrooms himself, but instead mooches off friend in exchange for research. :tongue:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHarvestTheBrain
CultDeVader

Loc: WNY
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Hertyar]
    #1910906 - 09/12/03 10:21 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

my bud had success the 1st casing he did...it was also his first grow, as long as everything is sterile, it's easy as hell

Invisiblefungusflip
visionary

Loc: texas
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: HarvestTheBrain]
    #1910942 - 09/12/03 10:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

you could just go with the pf cakes then crumble up the cakes when they're fully colonized and case them with verm. my friend does this with good results. he puts wet perilite in the bottom of the terrarium then crumbles the cakes right on top then cases with coarse verm. and it works fine. he's never done it any other way except like this and it works!

--------------------
let it be know, there is a fountain that was not made by the hands of men.

Invisiblesloluva

Loc: Ohio
    #1910957 - 09/12/03 10:35 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I ignored all good advice on my first grow... I read everything I could find and was convinced that I could do it.

I ended up making 9 casings from wild birdseed (millet) spawn, and I only lost 1 to contams.

I wouldn't say it's rocket science, but it's definitely an art. My only advice is to try whatever method is most interesting to you and go from there.

Good luck, keep us posted.

:thumbup: 

OfflineFungi_x
Original Shroomer
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Michigan Flag
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: sloluva]
    #1911171 - 09/12/03 11:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

HAPPY FUCKING HOLIDAYS!

Invisiblesloluva

Loc: Ohio
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Fungi_x]
    #1911232 - 09/13/03 12:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yeah, great pics in that one!

I'm particularly fond of this one... some of the pic links are dead, but great info...

CLICKY CLICKY

Anonymous

#1911309 - 09/13/03 12:44 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Split your cakes up and do both, so you're not disappointed :smile: You can also get a feel for where you're at. 

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1911315 - 09/13/03 12:46 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i believe pf tec is recommended for nooobs, because it is the most easily done without a pc .
however, i started growing with whole grain before the pf tec was invented .
sure, i got slapped in the face a few times, but when i didn't it was worth it .
casings can be done, without perlite, or humidifiers, you just have to be more attentive .
as with life, you get out of this hobby, what you put into it .

good luck to you, and thank you for doing your research .

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: deanofmean]
    #1911429 - 09/13/03 01:31 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

With the cake to casing jump, you'll be increasing your yields, shroom size and aesthetic beauty.  It might fuck up the first time, my best recommendation is to VERY carefully read either the 50/50+ tek or a 60/40verm/coir tek and follow it to a "t".  It should work, if not, post what happened and what you did, and we'll help ya work through it, then it will work next time :smile: Repeat as necessary :smile:

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Fungi_x]
    #1911458 - 09/13/03 01:49 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I did the flat cake tek and it?s great. Make the flat cakes a little bigger and you will get a little more. I call it football tek.

On 3rd flush.

PR cake. ( I really need to do those again someday)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Magash]
    #1911479 - 09/13/03 01:56 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

magash.....do you have any pics of the first flush from those footballs?

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Hanky]
    #1911532 - 09/13/03 02:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Perlite casing? I'd use one that is vermiculite based instead. Casings are not very difficult, especially if you are casing pf cakes. Grains are a bit more prone to contamination. If you are worried, you don't have to case ALL of your cakes.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1911789 - 09/13/03 04:31 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I think, at least if you're in Australia where shoulderless mason jars (kerr and ball) are impossible to get hold off, where you're then forced to use foil lidded drinking glasses (very tedious), your best bet is to go grains.

Fractional sterilisation (which I haven't nor would bother doing) would be a time hungry PITA compared to the simple & fast use of a PC. PF cakes or grains jars, a PC really takes the bullshit out of it. If in Australia, buy a Hawkins 15psi. Avoid "Fagor" and all that digital crap, they're not 15psi and the digital controls frag in time. Go a simple 15psi weight jiggler PC.

Any Aussies reading, go grains at the jump as wrapping foil over glasses is time hungry & fiddly. Case is your best bet any day.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

InvisibleHertyar
The guy nextdoor

Re: Casing vs Cakes: Is it really that hard? [Re: Starter]
    #1912112 - 09/13/03 10:12 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

My friend has PC'd 12 PF STYLE 1/2p jarz. 6 w/ BRF, 4 w/ Rye flour, and 2 with Rye flour AND bird sead ( He just had to get creative on a couple), and have mycelium in all from B+ strain. So far no greenies. :thumbup: Thank you ALL for your input! I'm going to talk my friend into to spliting them up. With hopes of at least getting something, so he can get a spore print and repeat. Hehehehe, no, he was not going to case with perlite. But rather use the perlite tek for humidity control. With the 50/50 as casing substrate. I am curious about this "60/40verm/coir tek" is it on shroomery.org? We're having troubles finding "hi yield" lime him. I have found hydrated lime, but read in one of the many teks ( :nut: Head swimming from all the different view points in them) to use as hydrated lime that has a low Mag %. Mine has 20.40% Mag. Is this too high or not? I also like the idea of crumbling the cakes after birth. (friend doesn't, ins't that the way!) I've also seen tecs to use a food processor to blend. Is this a higher risk process? Thanks again for all your help!

Ps. Magash, great avatars

--------------------
Doesn't have the patience to grow shrooms himself, but instead mooches off friend in exchange for research. :tongue:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Rye Grain, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation