Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Went for a stroll in the forest....
    #1906507 - 09/11/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hola,

I got off work early today and decided to take a cruise up into the cascades and see what the recent rain had brought up, it actually feels like washington again :laugh:, good stuff.  Anyway I  timed my hunt a little early as things were just starting to get wet enough to grow, but I still found a few nice fungi.  Here are some pictures from my new cam:

This is a blurry pic of Hericium abietis, these were my main motivation for going, but this was the largest specimen I found  :frown:.  I did find a few other groups of them just starting to push out of some tree bark, but those were not picked.  They're pretty abundant at the peak of season where I hunt...

I'm fairly sure this is a Lentinus ponderosus, I've seen much larger ones, but these were just coming up.  I saw more of them around than any other species I saw today.  Many stumps had them fruiting.  Included a gill shot to show the distinctive notched gills.  They're in the same genus as shiitake.

Below is Laetiporus sulphureus, first time I've seen them in the wild.  I was just about to take off on my way home, but saw a fallen tree right by the road on my way out of the area.  I dunno why, but I decided to pull off the road and check it out (out of the hundreds of others around there) and found this :laugh: , funny how that works.  More smaller ones were just coming out on the other side of the tree but I left them.

And lastly, an unidentified species I found.  I think it's probably some Stropharia.  Cap was slimy, prominent annulus covered in purple spores and grew in random wood debris on the forest floor.  Also had a very disagreeable odor.

That's all folks...

EDIT: Pretty sure the unidentified is Stropharia hornemanii now.

DH

Edited by DethHed (09/11/03 06:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: spores]
    #1907057 - 09/11/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

great pictures man and that first mushroom is especially fun.

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1907559 - 09/11/03 09:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice pictures dh, good to see your out hunting. You back on the westside now? Rumor on the street has it that ps semilanceata have begun to fruit.

--------------------
stay off my land

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: cardboard]
    #1907665 - 09/11/03 10:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

YO cardboard

Libs already!?  Damn, that's pretty early for here, no?  We'll have to get together again for another romp through some cattle fields up north later this season :laugh: .  I'm still back east, but I'll be in seattle again at the end of the month.  Oh my, post #420, I'd say this calls for some tokes eh :smirk: ...  Peace man, I'll try to catch you on IRC sometime soon if I can get on the damn server again, stupid computer...

DH 

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #1907854 - 09/11/03 11:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am gonna go out and witness the libs first hand tomorrow so i will get some pics. As for post #420 it calls for a bit of a glimpse into the work of the gnomes living under my stairs. Heres their indica http://cardboard.is-after.us/indi1.jpg and this is their sativa http://cardboard.is-after.us/sati1.jpg

--------------------
stay off my land

Edited by cardboard (09/11/03 11:22 PM)

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: cardboard]
    #1908875 - 09/12/03 08:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

!!!!

:oogle: :oogle: :oogle: :oogle:

Your gnomes sure know how to grow some perty girls dude :laugh:, I wish mine were that far along with their garden :smirk:

DH

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #1909298 - 09/12/03 11:15 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

DethHed: good score, especialy with the sulfur shelves. btw: isn't Laetiporus gilbertsonii the correct binomial now?

if you decide to try them,take the younger ones [leaving at least half if you are of an eco-friendly mind] as the older ones can be tough, less plaettable and allegedaly cause gastrointestinal upset. there have also been numerous reports of allergic reactions so if you dine on these try small amounts first.

lastly, if you don't like them, send them all to me, i'll get rid of them for you...

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: canid]
    #1909961 - 09/12/03 02:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hehe concretefeet, thanks for the offer but I'll keep em :smile:, they're pretty tasty.  I don't like them as much as the hericiums but I had a laetiporus sandwich for lunch and it was damn good.  I tried a small amount of them yesterday after the hunt and didn't have any adverse reaction to them, thanks for the tips though.  It looks like you're right about the nomenclature, mycoweb uses the same, but I like sulphureus better, it's easier for me to remember :smirk:.

Peace,

DH

Offlineaudio_head
Stranger
    #1909988 - 09/12/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My good god, do those laetiporus taste good they look like they've been strained from the devil's jock strap fair play though a braver man than me!

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: audio_head]
    #1910037 - 09/12/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

they taste good. they don't look so colorful once cooked.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: audio_head]
    #1910117 - 09/12/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hehe

They're rumored to taste like chicken, one of their common names is Chicken of the Woods.  I didn't really notice anything but a vague similarity to chicken, they didn't really have much taste at all when fried alone.  But that's why I tried em :smile:

DH 

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #1910134 - 09/12/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the reason i've most frequently heard for the name is taht they can look like chicken when boiled.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: canid]
    #1914804 - 09/14/03 05:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I myself stumbled into some of those sulfur shelves, but they smelled awful! Can't imagine anyone eats those...does the putrant smell disappear after cooking? How are they usually consumed anyways? Cooked, fried, raw?

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: koraks]
    #1915127 - 09/14/03 10:54 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hrmm,

I didn't notice any bad smell. Just smelled woodsy/mushroomy to me... Maybe older ones get a stronger smell, the cluster I found was fresh. I cut the edges off, sliced them up and fried them up with some garlic, ginger and soy sauce, they're not bad, but there are better edibles out there IMO.

DH

Invisiblekoraks
    #1918031 - 09/15/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ah right, the bunch I found recently apparently was a bit older, which causes them to smell like old cheese or socks. Some people finf this smell pleasant, or so I've heard...not me though... :smile:

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Went for a stroll in the forest.... [Re: koraks]
    #1918140 - 09/15/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

anyone for a linburger[sp?] crew cut combo with mushrooms?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract