Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedr.alkaline
 User Gallery

Insolubles in agar
    #19081638 - 11/03/13 05:47 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Hey guys,

I made agar from agar agar powder and dry malt extract pilsen light for home brewing. I made it following the proc in RR's video and the below recipe:

Malt Extract Agar (MEA)
10 grams light malt extract
9 grams agar agar
500 ml potable or distilled water

Pressure cook 15 psi 45 minutes. Wait two hours before removing from PC.

I swirled the agar mix vigorously out of the pressure cooker to try to get a precipitate to dissolve, but only had moderate success. I poured the plates and they look great in term of color a solidity except for this dark insoluble, which could have come from the agar agar mix or the MEA.

Two questions:

Did I use the right ingredient?

Has anyone gotten insolubles like this, and will they mess anything up?

Thanks guys. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMidnight Cyclone
StrangerDanger
Loc: oo ess aye oo ess aye Flag
Re: Insolubles in agar [Re: dr.alkaline]
    #19084331 - 11/04/13 07:00 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I just started agar and found insolubles similar to what you talk about, but without a picture we could be talking about two different things.

Here is my MEA, prepared with pretty much exact same conditions.

I couldn't get a better picture, because I am using baby food jars. Hopefully you'll be able to see what I am referring to.

The very tiny black spots. They look like pieces of debris, not contamination. These "dishes" are before inoculation.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Insolubles in agar [Re: Midnight Cyclone]
    #19085022 - 11/04/13 11:30 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

It's normal to have some sediment left in your agar. I like to cook my agar on the stove before putting it in a jar to PC it. I find that this reduces sediment and just leaves my plates more even.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineMidnight Cyclone
StrangerDanger
Loc: oo ess aye oo ess aye Flag
Re: Insolubles in agar [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19085272 - 11/04/13 12:55 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
It's normal to have some sediment left in your agar. I like to cook my agar on the stove before putting it in a jar to PC it. I find that this reduces sediment and just leaves my plates more even.

Thanks! I did end up melting this concoction together on the stove before pouring plates and then pressure cooking them. Good to know that's standard practice. :thumbup:

Offlinedr.alkaline
 User Gallery

Re: Insolubles in agar [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #19087112 - 11/04/13 07:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

sweet thanks guys. Just innoc'd with my first set of spore prints from my first grow, so fingers crossed I am so excited  :nyan:

OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Insolubles in agar [Re: dr.alkaline]
    #19087213 - 11/04/13 08:11 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

dr.alkaline said:
Hey guys,

I made agar from agar agar powder and dry malt extract pilsen light for home brewing. I made it following the proc in RR's video and the below recipe:

Malt Extract Agar (MEA)
10 grams light malt extract
9 grams agar agar
500 ml potable or distilled water

Pressure cook 15 psi 45 minutes. Wait two hours before removing from PC.

I swirled the agar mix vigorously out of the pressure cooker to try to get a precipitate to dissolve, but only had moderate success. I poured the plates and they look great in term of color a solidity except for this dark insoluble, which could have come from the agar agar mix or the MEA.

Two questions:

Did I use the right ingredient?

Has anyone gotten insolubles like this, and will they mess anything up?

Thanks guys. :mushroom2:

Insolubles are normal and fine in agar formulations. Jut keep swirling your media jar as you pour to evenly distribute the solids. Even if you do, the last few plates will get the bulk of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds