Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

The President and his cabinent share some words of gospel
    #1907818 - 09/12/03 01:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

London Reuters

During the service, members of his administration read aloud Biblical passages stressing faith.

"Do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself," Secretary of State Colin Powell said, reading from the New Testament gospel of Matthew.

FBI Director Robert Mueller, reading from Ephesians, said "take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand the evil day ... in all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil."

I get all foggy sometimes when thinking about seperation of church and state and then, days like this remind me that our nation is lead by a bunch of Pharisees. Thank God they reminded me.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: The President and his cabinent share some words of gospel [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1908043 - 09/12/03 02:24 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

How is this a violation of 'the seperation of church and state'? Those words don't even exist in the Constitution. It does say Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. Nowhere does it say that we must be a Godless society with no public displays of religion. Leaders reading passages from the Bible sure as hell is not a law passed by Congress.

The purpose of the language in the Constitution is to prevent a national religion being instituted. I am not a Christian at all. I do know that the majority of this country is. Having leaders read from the Bible, or having the ten commandments in a judicial building is not offensive to me. The Constitution does guarantee us the right to practice whatever religion we want to. It does not say that we can't because it might offend someone.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: The President and his cabinent share some words of gospel [Re: shakta]
    #1908207 - 09/12/03 03:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I never stated that we must be a "godless society" however, the quote from ephesians seems to be taking it a bit too far IMHO. When you start calling on people to take up their armor in reference to what many believe is a war waged not only for oil but for conversion then perhaps you should start consulting some of the past very religious presidents like Lincoln, who regularly quoted scripture but kept it in the context of all, not against an access of evil or even the southern baptist Jimmy Carter who prayed for hope and peace, not for armor and war.

Oh, and for the record, I am a christian. Many christians believe that this excessive use of hymns and biblical references are pushing it a tad bit too far.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1908843 - 09/12/03 09:18 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

You are entitled to your opinion. I was pointing out the FACT that there is nothing illegal about it. I think anyone who believes this is a war of conversion is insane.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1908987 - 09/12/03 11:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PsiloKitten said:
...days like this remind me that our nation is lead by a bunch of Pharisees.

That's a good way of putting it.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion