Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Water on the bottom of popcorn jars?
    #1907364 - 09/11/03 08:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friend PCed 3 popcorn jars (well, 2 jars and 1 glass). He strained the popcorn before PCing it, and covere the jars with MANY layers of alluminum foil. After PCing it though, he noticed some water on the bottom of the jars, and water sticking to kernels pressed against the glass. Is there any way I can lessen the amount of water in these jars without redoing the whole thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejumpship
lawn boy

Re: Water on the bottom of popcorn jars? [Re: Rohypnol]
    #1907400 - 09/11/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i am not an expect on pop by any means so take this with a grain of salt.

i think you are ok, the same happened to some jars i saw and seem to be part of the process. those looked the same as you describe and i saw no probs. as long as there is not a small lake in the bottom of the jars, i see no reason for concern.

of course i may be proven wrong. but thought i would chime in.

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Re: Water on the bottom of popcorn jars? [Re: jumpship]
    #1907430 - 09/11/03 08:57 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah unfortuantly in the glass there IS a small lake on the bottom.

Offlinethrice
Stranger
    #1907467 - 09/11/03 09:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I always cover my jars with one piece of aluminum foil and don't get any water in them. How high do you fill the water in your prssckr. I would definately redo the jars. You have a high risk of contams with that much water and the colonization would be slow to none with that much water.

Try this. Boil your popcorn till you can smash a kernel wit your fingers. Then strain (while hot) for 5 minutes. Then pour popcorn onto a double folded sheet, with a towel underneath the sheet, and roll the popcorn around, drying off the kernels. This will happen fast because the hot water will evaporate off quickly. Then when the outside of the kernels are dry, pack into jars and p.c. They will shake easily and there will be no visible water in the jars. You only want water in the grain, not outside it. This tek works good for me. Good luck.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Invisiblebuu
katabatic

Loc: Denver
    #1907584 - 09/11/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

so far all ive done is popcorn jars when this has happened to me when i first started from not letting my corn drain enough(should sit for an hour is what the tek says)i just tip the jar on its side and let it drain from an inoculation hole ive made in my tin foil lid and let it sit like that for 20 min or so...

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Re: Water on the bottom of popcorn jars? [Re: buu]
    #1907619 - 09/11/03 09:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I have a glovebox. Would just pouring my water out inside the glovebox be satisfactor?

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #1907625 - 09/11/03 09:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well to break it down here...Soak popcorn for 24 hours, then rinse in strainer...then boil with like 2 inches of water above the popcorn(let it start boiling then reduce heat to a simmer..start time from first boil)for 30 mins, drain for 30-40 mins in strainer, load into jars and PC for 45-60 mins, with tinfoil covering lids. fairly simple process, but you HAVE to let it drain for 30-40 mins.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

Re: Water on the bottom of popcorn jars? [Re: GregHimself]
    #1907658 - 09/11/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

dude i let it drain and everything. I had no lids though, they are plastic and melt in the pc.

OfflineRohypnol
Vice Figurehead

#1907663 - 09/11/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think my friend is just going to innoculate regardless of the water. He is going to inject some peroxide to make contams unfavorable, and then he is going to inject his live liquid mycellium.

OfflineGregHimself
Male User Gallery

#1907683 - 09/11/03 10:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i really wouldnt do that...justr try it again, and see what happens...and a box of lids costs like what? 3 dollars? probably a good investment if you are going to keep working with a Pressure Cooker..it will keep the water out, also if the tinfoil was sitting inside the water level, it would have sucked the water up into the jars/glass...when working with corn, you need to do it right, although draining them might work, i think that it has a higher chance of contams if you have to turn them over...water drains, contams fall back into jar when you turn it upright and such.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets

Invisiblebuu
katabatic

Loc: Denver
Re: Water on the bottom of popcorn jars? [Re: GregHimself]
    #1907694 - 09/11/03 10:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

start time from first boil)for 30 mins

even after soaking for 24 hours ive had to boil my corn for 2 hours or more to get the right water content in the kernels i do let it drain loger than 30-40 min but i also cover it with foil

OfflineGregHimself
Male User Gallery

#1907721 - 09/11/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

hmmmm well there ya go, i have only ever followed the corn tek found here and it has neve rlet me down
http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/22982

--------------------
Paul Stamets

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains