Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSquattingMarmot
Inquiring Mind
Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory
    #1906895 - 09/11/03 08:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Do they actually think getting rid of Arafat will stop terrorism in the Middle East? I definitely do not think Arafat is a good leader, as he has shown repeatedly his embrace of terrorism and contempt of Israel. But seriously, if Israel wants to piss off every single Muslim in the Middle East this is the way to do it. The suicide bombers will just be streaming across the border.

--------------------
"In the United States anybody can be president. Thats the problem."

"The gray-haired douche bag, Barbara Bush, has a slogan: "Encourage your child to read every day." What she should be is encouraging children to question what they read every day."

- George Carlin

Edited by SquattingMarmot (09/11/03 08:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #1906922 - 09/11/03 08:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The less power Arafat has, the better chance at peace. Abu Mazim quit after all because Arafat didn't give him enough control over the Palestinian Authority.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: Zahid]
    #1907146 - 09/11/03 09:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Zahid said:
The less power Arafat has, the better chance at peace. Abu Mazim quit after all because Arafat didn't give him enough control over the Palestinian Authority.

Bingo. I think Israel should do a couple of things all at once. They should pull out of Gaza, and abandon some of the settlements at the same time the get rid of Arafat. Abu Ala has no chance of success with Arafat around.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: shakta]
    #1907785 - 09/12/03 01:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think that Arafat should make a deal, get that terrorist Sharon out of Israel and he will leave also.

Im a Christian and I even know that Sharon is as evil, if not more so, then Arafat.

In anycase, this man was elected by the people and if that is their will it is nobody else's place to kick him out. What you arent seeing are the thousands of people surrounding Arafat's compound. It puts all the WTO protests combined to shame. Abu Ala has no chance as it stands, just like Abbas. It amazes me that nobody seems to care about the will of the people inhabiting that space on the earth.

There is a thread in this forum about minding our own business and it rings true. Especially in matters that as a culture we have no understanding of. We can theorize and study all we want, but until we are part of that culture and mindset we have no business making a roadmap to someone else's peace.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1908062 - 09/12/03 02:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sharon is definately a hard liner. It comes with the neighborhood and Arafat got him elected. Personally I don't care who supports Arafat. He is a terrorist, always has been, and always will be. He has been a terrorist longer than most of us have been on the planet. He is and always has been a roadblock to peace.

Arafat reminds me a lot of Saddam. They play both sides, and string the rest of us along for the ride. I feel that it is hypocritical of us, to tell Israel not to get rid of him. They Jewish people have seen more terror than anyone else on the planet. Arafat and his predecessors have been all to happy to do everything they can to destroy them. We all know Arafat will never do anything about Hamas and the other groups. He may encourage peace now and again to preserve his own ass, but he has no interest in true lasting peace, especially if it involves a Jewish homeland.

InvisiblePsiloKitten
Ganja Goddess

#1908278 - 09/12/03 03:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have no arguement with you that Arafat is evil. If he was smart he would have settled for Barak's offer of the templemount, the strip and pre 1967 borders. You are correct, Arafat could give a shit less about peace, that is not his goal. Personally, he would like nothing better then to wipe the Jews off the face of the earth. But those views are no surprise to the people of palestine, the people who elected him. So, you think that we can just erase that way of thinking by his death? Our foreign policy has been a plethora of help in these matters so far, hasnt it?

If Israel so decides to get rid of him then, that is their call and they should be the only ones to reap the consequences. Unfortunately, that is not the way it will turn out. Israel will not act without our approval so in the same token, it is hypocritical of us, a western nation, to meddle or give approval in the affairs of a country we havent even begun to understand.

You cannot demonize Arafat and raise Sharon onto a pedestal of "he is only doing what he has to do" they are both fucking up. The whole glass houses theory holds much water in this situation.

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: PsiloKitten]
    #1908838 - 09/12/03 09:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I understand where you are coming from. I also understand the consequences that may happen if they git rid of him. The fact remains, IMO anyway, that there will never be peace as long as Arafat is around. I think they may be able to get away with it if they do some other things at the same time.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1908910 - 09/12/03 10:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Like the Israeli's you seem to be completely discounting the opinion of the Palestinian people. Many who probabaly believe, correctly in my opinion, that there will never be peace as long as Sharon and his ilk are still in power. If the Palestinians want Arafat to stay then removing him will not help the situation.

If the Israeli's choose to put their people at risk then that is their perogative but it is not in the best interests of their civilian population to incite further attacks upon them. Im sure many Israeli's are well aware of this fact and are cursing their governments actions.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: GazzBut]
    #1908950 - 09/12/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You know you can bash Sharon till the cows come home. He is a relatively new player in this thing. Arafat and the terror groups did the same thing before he was there. Baruk I think the Israelis are tired of the bullshit, and are prepared to have an all out war with the Palestinians if need be. People all around the world know that Arafat is an obsticle to the peace process, yet for some reason they expect Israel to deal with him anyway. It would be like putting yourself in a big aquarium with a shark, and hanging meat off your chest. You know the shark is going to eat you, so you want to get rid of him. Getting rid of the shark is going to piss off a lot of people, but in order for you to survive, you must get rid of it.

I am sure the Israeli people are divided on this issue, and I understand their concern. Something has to be done though, or this thing will drag on for another 10 years.

Anonymous

Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: SquattingMarmot]
    #1908956 - 09/12/03 10:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If the Israeli's forcibly remove Arafat, it'll only foment terrorism. I think if Arafat stepped down, though (which wont happen) it would be helpful.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: ]
    #1908965 - 09/12/03 11:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sure it would be helpful, but as you said it will never happen. The formenting of terrorism is a concern, but at some point you have to stand up to it and end it no matter the cost, don't you think?

Anonymous

#1908972 - 09/12/03 11:05 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Palestinians wont have peace until the jews are all dead. And Israel wont have peace until Palestine stops killing innocent Israelis. Which wont ever happen, because Israeli's keep killing innocent Palestinians! But they cant very well just sit around as suicide bombers kill their citizens, can they?

Anonymous

#1909007 - 09/12/03 11:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Indeed. But, how? I suppose Israel could completely invade and occupy Palestine and dismantle the 'terror' advocating groups/parts of their gov't, but wont that just cause more hatred among the Palestinian people?

Not to mention possibly throw the entire Muslim/Arab world into a war against Israel.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1909032 - 09/12/03 11:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Palestinians wont have peace until the jews are all dead.

Not all Palestinians hold that view. Dont beleive the hype.

Quote:

And Israel wont have peace until Palestine stops killing innocent Israelis.

Israel defintely wont have peace until they stop killing innocent Palestinians, bulldozing their homes and stealing their land.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1909033 - 09/12/03 11:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It is a tough situation to be sure. I think the PA has shown its true unwillingness to live in peace though. Every time it gets close, they screw it up. Hopefully Israel can work with the new guy, and work something out with or without Arafat.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

#1909050 - 09/12/03 11:36 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Do you really think Sharon is seeking peace?!!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1909056 - 09/12/03 11:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yes I do. I think the Israelis all want peace. Imagine living with this terrorist threat for 50 years, and having every country around you hating you because of your religion. To me it is easy to see why Israel sometimes takes such a hard line stance. I know for a fact that we would.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1909058 - 09/12/03 11:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

He has been a terrorist longer than most of us have been on the planet. He is and always has been a roadblock to peace.

Apart from the complete and humiliating capitulation he agreed to in 1993?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: Xlea321]
    #1909073 - 09/12/03 11:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Shhhsh that doesnt fit the profile..  :smirk: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Israeli Cabinet votes to Expel Arafat in Theory [Re: Xlea321]
    #1909078 - 09/12/03 11:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Your categorization of what happened in '93 is absurd. He also backed out of it without even offering a counterproposal. He is a rejectionist plain and simple. Always has been, and always will be.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion