Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineotherr
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Are The Introduction To Mycology And A Must For All Noobs" Thread [Re: wayneshy465]
    #19206762 - 11/29/13 10:31 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Man I spent $55 on a stupid kit once, and it only came with
a small ass box, ONE pair of gloves, 6 pre-sterilized BRF jars, 1 pound of perlite, and a stupid worthless light. I could have gotten all of that
for around $20, but laziness took over.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official [Re: otherr]
    #19207115 - 11/30/13 01:06 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wayneshy465 said:
To me personally grow kits are for the lazy mycologist or should I say for the person who has little patients.

Patience? Shit I wish they would take longer. . . I can't keep up :crazy2:

My Friday night was:

Get home from work
Put 3 trays into FC
Simmer then Sterilize 14 quarts of grain
Spawn 1 66quart mono
Harvest a mini mono
Make agar and have a few beers
transfers in SAB
Check cultures and jars
Stir LC
Get on shroomery and crack a beer

I'm fucking beat :wink:

*Not necessarily in that order

Edited by Pastywhyte (11/30/13 01:14 AM)

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Loc: Church of the SubGenus
Re: The Official [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #19210191 - 11/30/13 09:08 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
My Friday night was:

Get home from work
Put 3 trays into FC
Simmer then Sterilize 14 quarts of grain
Spawn 1 66quart mono
Harvest a mini mono
Make agar and have a few beers
transfers in SAB
Check cultures and jars
Stir LC
Get on shroomery and crack a beer

I'm fucking beat :wink:

*Not necessarily in that order

Nerd alert! You're totally getting a wedgie.:lol:

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19210313 - 11/30/13 09:46 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hey I party hard :nerd:

:offthehook:

Offlinegt40
I will proof smthng
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #19220686 - 12/03/13 04:48 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Plastic bag as fruiting chamber it's cool idea for those who do not have enough space to store grow equipment.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: SpitballJedi] * 2
    #19222217 - 12/03/13 01:19 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

The most important reason grow kits suck:

They keep you dependent on supplies that can be cut off by a ban, while you should learn to become an independent grower, one who doesnt need kits or spore syringes or ampules because he can make them himself using the mushroom genetics he's breeding into superior varieties, akin to what happened to weed since the 1970s.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Asante]
    #19222886 - 12/03/13 03:45 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Amen brother. Amen

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Invisibleanne halonium
jaguarette
Female

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Asante]
    #19226436 - 12/04/13 12:27 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
The most important reason grow kits suck:

They keep you dependent on supplies that can be cut off by a ban, while you should learn to become an independent grower, one who doesnt need kits or spore syringes or ampules because he can make them himself using the mushroom genetics he's breeding into superior varieties, akin to what happened to weed since the 1970s.

ill second that amen.:thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
:aliendance:

OfflineNoven
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: anne halonium]
    #19226823 - 12/04/13 01:51 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Well when I first started getting into growing, I wanted to buy a kit. I figured it would be easier to just get everything I needed instead of going to individual stores, trying to find the jars and making mistakes. But then I was like its kinda expensive I want to save money. Boy did I save and it wasn't as difficult as I thought. The jars took a bit longer they were expensive online but after a week I found them in the local supermarket 5 mins away. The problem was I was looking for the jars at dollar type stores.

All in all you're way better of making it yourself, you will learn more and although it may seem like the more daunting task you'll be all the more richer at the end of it.

Peace

Offline2bittoker
Resident PMP Advocate

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: Noven]
    #19227583 - 12/04/13 04:21 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

To summarize:
-Doesn't Save any money, ever
-Costs way more than buying the materials to do it yourself
-Most vendors use the exact materials sold in stores that you would buy, same brand and everything
-No added quality.  Sterilization/Pasteurization is done with the same pressure cookers and microwaves available to the consumer (Probably cheaper to maximize profits since I doubt their using All American pressure cookers, the standard in Mycology)
-No way to get money back for defective or contaminated equipment/jars
-Many vendors who sell kits are shady to begin with, probably dont use proper procedure and produce their kits in bulk.
-You fail to gain any knowledge of mycology or proper sterile technique, the latter essential for pursuing your own grows, at minimum.
-Without said knowledge, if buying shroom kits becomes banned or any materials, you're up a creek without a paddle.
-Kits often come with shitty instructions that run contrary to well know mycological fact. (I.E. my story of my friends kit telling him to use his terrarium as a incubation chamber.  Only thing it did was stop myclieum growth and incubate trich and lipstick mold.  He was out $120 and I did a PF tek grow for @40 and produced large flushes (For a PF TEK))
-Purchasing a grow kit screams "SHROOM GROWER" to any law enforcement that gets a search warrant for your credit card records.
-Purchasing a grow kit supports people who knowingly take advantage of the ignorance of new growers. STOP SUPPORTING UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE

--------------------
“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
"Love does not claim possession, but gives freedom"
― Rabindranath Tagore

Stuff for New Growers
Where new growers should start: RogerRabbit's PF Tek video    How it Should and Shouldn't Look 
My Simplified Bulk Growing  My OJ Shroom Tek

Invisibleanne halonium
jaguarette
Female

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: 2bittoker]
    #19227870 - 12/04/13 05:38 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

ok, i am totally, and always have been anti kit.

BUT,
if someone wanted to get a pre fab oyster kit, for a 12 yr old science project, cuz the kid was a bio hound......i could be cool with it.

that kinda kid though, will be here at 18 ( ahem)
and be testing nerves....
and ,they will be way past kits.

you guys are apoplectic with some of my experiments.
wait till the kiddies can buy the boomer gene splicing kit.

other than that, kits are for loosers.
its literally a way to trade shit ,
and a few magic tiny beans, for gold.

--------------------
:aliendance:

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #19227942 - 12/04/13 05:54 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

2bittoker said:
-Most vendors use the exact materials cheaper materials than what are sold in stores that you would buy

-No added quality.  Sterilization/Pasteurization is done with the same pressure cookers and microwaves available to the consumer (Probably cheaper to maximize profits since I doubt their using All American pressure cookers, the standard in Mycology)

:thumbup:

Offline2bittoker
Resident PMP Advocate

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: PussyFart]
    #19231748 - 12/05/13 03:23 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Quote:

2bittoker said:
-Most vendors use the exact materials cheaper materials than what are sold in stores that you would buy

:thumbup:

Meh.  The the exact brand materials in my roommate's kits could be found at petsmart (I know, I looked).  Not trying to give kits any additional credit, just giving the devil his due.  Im sure there are some kits made with even crappier materials, but ultimately its irrelevant, because you're still gonna pay 4X what it would have cost to build it yourself.

And Im sure I saw a tek that said you could microwave a bulk substrate floating around here?  Im not familiar with it, because its not my choice of how to do bulk, but I remember reading about it.  Im not sure of its reliability, but Im sure if one of these shady people had a choice between doing it in the oven or just zapping it for a few seconds, Im sure they would choose the easy way.

--------------------
“I slept and dreamt that life was joy. I awoke and saw that life was service. I acted and behold, service was joy.”
― Rabindranath Tagore

Stuff for New Growers
Where new growers should start: RogerRabbit's PF Tek video    How it Should and Shouldn't Look 

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
    #19231838 - 12/05/13 03:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Microwave ovens do not sterilize or pasteurize anything.

There is no way to control the temperature.

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: PussyFart]
    #19232004 - 12/05/13 04:20 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, I was never sure why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to nuke their substrate. If it does anything, it will dry out and burn your substrate in an uneven manner.

Nifty nugget of knowledge for those who don't grow and can their own food--people try to process their canning jars in the oven, too. I have no idea why people think that boiling jars in a pot of water is such a huge chore. It's really not, especially compared to losing all your shit to contam. Or getting botulism.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is a work of fiction, provided for entertainment purposes only. Any resemblance to actual persons or events, past or present, is strictly coincidental. All celebrity voices are impersonated. If you begin your ID request with, "I just ate a bunch of these mushrooms…should I not have done that?" I'm just gonna sit back and watch Darwin at work.:mushroom2:

Offline2bittoker
Resident PMP Advocate

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19233079 - 12/05/13 06:04 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Notahacker420 said:
Microwave ovens do not sterilize or pasteurize anything.

There is no way to control the temperature.

Quote:

BittrBuffalo said:
Yeah, I was never sure why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to nuke their substrate. If it does anything, it will dry out and burn your substrate in an uneven manner.

Nifty nugget of knowledge for those who don't grow and can their own food--people try to process their canning jars in the oven, too. I have no idea why people think that boiling jars in a pot of water is such a huge chore. It's really not, especially compared to losing all your shit to contam. Or getting botulism.

However it works, people have gotten to work before, even if the users were lucky enough that it was able to stun it long enough for mycleium to colonize.  It sounded like it would have a high contam rate, thus why I didnt read much into the tek and moved on and can't remember much about it, but kit vendors dont care about success rates, as evidenced by the numerous contam threads on here from kit users.

--------------------
― Rabindranath Tagore

Stuff for New Growers

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #19236351 - 12/06/13 12:32 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

That's another problem with some grow kits.

People buy the grow kit, fail, and try to save money by re-purchasing the materials.

The materials aren't always the weak point, it's often the instructions that are set up for failure.

Even after leaving the kits behind, they've learned nothing and some bad practices are now planted in their heads.

Crappy practices and grow kits can work sometimes, but best practices work more often.

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #19236653 - 12/06/13 01:43 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

in the time it takes for your kit to show up you could already be half way there

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineBittrBuffalo
Deaconica

Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: cronicr]
    #19237753 - 12/06/13 06:02 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

cronicr said:
in the time it takes for your kit to show up you could already be half way there

Ooooohh ooohh....livin on a prayer!

It doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not, cronicr.

--------------------

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official "Grow Kits Suck" Thread [Re: BittrBuffalo]
    #19237772 - 12/06/13 06:06 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Just read the tek and you'll make it I swear

--------------------
The Basics

The Noob Forum

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | Next >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck