Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: Cactilove] * 1
    #19073970 - 11/02/13 08:04 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cactilove said:
Does anyone have a logical argument against nihilism? I have been studying it a bit lately and have found that this label seems to fit my current viewpoint. I really think that this is the most logical philosophy that I have come across.

when i was a young boy, rebelling against everyone and everything, i found nihilism because of the rancid song titled accordingly.

this was when i was in 7th grade...how old are we in 7th grade? ha

i soon thereafter found leftover crack, another punk band, and i am thankful that i did, because this was the basis of my cynical, pessimistic, REALISTIC view of experience.

yea, surely it has ingrained many attitudes which have gotten me imprisoned, addicted to drugs, and lost me an opportunity to play in the national hockey league, but fuck it, i'm proud of myself, whatever that means.

i truly believe that life is only about survival.  not about pleasure, not about pain specifically, but our ability to survive excesses of either.

living on the street, evading police, shooting heroin, dropping out of school to play hockey for money, begging for money, that shit makes you stronger.

jail will do that to you too.

end of my stupid fucking rant

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCactilove
Controversial Mystic
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: Thecrimson]
    #19074764 - 11/02/13 11:46 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Existential Nihilism states that there is no identifiable inherent meaning in life. Nihilism and extrinsic meaning are perfectly comparable.

--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: stzacrack]
    #19074779 - 11/02/13 11:49 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

stzacrack said:
Quote:

Cactilove said:
Does anyone have a logical argument against nihilism? I have been studying it a bit lately and have found that this label seems to fit my current viewpoint. I really think that this is the most logical philosophy that I have come across.

when i was a young boy, rebelling against everyone and everything, i found nihilism because of the rancid song titled accordingly.

this was when i was in 7th grade...how old are we in 7th grade? ha

i soon thereafter found leftover crack, another punk band, and i am thankful that i did, because this was the basis of my cynical, pessimistic, REALISTIC view of experience.

yea, surely it has ingrained many attitudes which have gotten me imprisoned, addicted to drugs, and lost me an opportunity to play in the national hockey league, but fuck it, i'm proud of myself, whatever that means.

i truly believe that life is only about survival.  not about pleasure, not about pain specifically, but our ability to survive excesses of either.

living on the street, evading police, shooting heroin, dropping out of school to play hockey for money, begging for money, that shit makes you stronger.

jail will do that to you too.

end of my stupid fucking rant

:manofapproval:

Particularly liked the ending 10/10 would read again

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: Cactilove]
    #19074808 - 11/02/13 12:02 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cactilove said:

That's too bad. I remember writing a paper about nihilism, just to get my thoughts out. LSD changed my mind. Nihilism seems to be a philosophy colored by depression. Even if one is not familiar with the work of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, which is to a certain extent anthropologically slanted, the opposite view is of teleology. The universe of space-time emerged from eternity, expanded rapidly from a sub-atomic singularity, differentiated from incomprehensible energy into particles. Hydrogen formed, stars formed, the rest of the elements formed within the stars, compounds formed, planets formed, life formed! The Great Chain of Being began with the first particles and evolved into self-aware nodes of complex socio-biological-psychological-cultural-spiritual beings on Earth. The macro universe defies the more local laws of physics by speeding up.

The bottom line here is that joyful, optimistic minds can envision all manner of ecstatic cosmic possibilities. A non-articulated faith underlies such a hopeful outlook, which is bolstered by the awareness of the Great Chain of Being. Of course there are opposite forces at work, like entropy, death, Thanatos Principle behind heinous acts against animals, humans, the biosphere, but duality is built into the whole 0, 1 dualism inherent in existence. Nevertheless, transcendence of the duality of existence is a perspective sub specie aeternitatis, a cosmic perspective which immediately dismisses nihilism with a hearty laugh. Nihilism can't be abolished by argument, but it quite easily evaporates through ecstasy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_point

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #19074828 - 11/02/13 12:08 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Quote:

Cactilove said:

That's too bad. I remember writing a paper about nihilism, just to get my thoughts out. LSD changed my mind. Nihilism seems to be a philosophy colored by depression. Even if one is not familiar with the work of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, which is to a certain extent anthropologically slanted, the opposite view is of teleology. The universe of space-time emerged from eternity, expanded rapidly from a sub-atomic singularity, differentiated from incomprehensible energy into particles. Hydrogen formed, stars formed, the rest of the elements formed within the stars, compounds formed, planets formed, life formed! The Great Chain of Being began with the first particles and evolved into self-aware nodes of complex socio-biological-psychological-cultural-spiritual beings on Earth. The macro universe defies the more local laws of physics by speeding up.

The bottom line here is that joyful, optimistic minds can envision all manner of ecstatic cosmic possibilities. A non-articulated faith underlies such a hopeful outlook, which is bolstered by the awareness of the Great Chain of Being. Of course there are opposite forces at work, like entropy, death, Thanatos Principle behind heinous acts against animals, humans, the biosphere, but duality is built into the whole 0, 1 dualism inherent in existence. Nevertheless, transcendence of the duality of existence is a perspective sub specie aeternitatis, a cosmic perspective which immediately dismisses nihilism with a hearty laugh. Nihilism can't be abolished by argument, but it quite easily evaporates through ecstasy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_point

That's all wishy washy feelings and emotionalism, which has nothing to do with logic. Also nihilism has no negative connotations, that is entirely up to the individual.

Offlinestzacrack
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: United States
    #19074850 - 11/02/13 12:13 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

just because you can envision optimism in the face of sadness, doesn't make the sadness disappear.

what i'm saying is that the starving child could care less if you feel great about him starving.

i believe voltaire, candide takes a nihilistic approach about the realities of life.

InvisibleCactilove
Controversial Mystic

#19075283 - 11/02/13 02:00 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I think nihilism is extremely misunderstood. I find the philosophy to be freeing. I am no more depressed then the average person. In fact I would have to say that I may be happier then the average person. Pessimism and skepticism are paths to disillusion and nihilism is often the finished product. The first stages of nihilism can be hard on one's psyche. Think of it as nigredo. If one is able to sit down and truly examine nihilism the darkness begins to burn away. it is only the beginning stages of nihilism that nietchze deemed a disease of humanity.

--------------------
Orgone Conclusion...Bringing OTD to PS&P since 2007.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #19076102 - 11/02/13 05:06 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

but it quite easily evaporates through ecstasy

And vice versa.:sad:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19076109 - 11/02/13 05:07 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cactilove said:
I think nihilism is extremely misunderstood. I find the philosophy to be freeing. I am no more depressed then the average person. In fact I would have to say that I may be happier then the average person. Pessimism and skepticism are paths to disillusion and nihilism is often the finished product. The first stages of nihilism can be hard on one's psyche. Think of it as nigredo. If one is able to sit down and truly examine nihilism the darkness begins to burn away. it is only the beginning stages of nihilism that nietchze deemed a disease of humanity.

You might be right. I'm going to get back to you on that. :satansmoking:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #19076364 - 11/02/13 06:03 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

That's all wishy washy feelings and emotionalism, which has nothing to do with logic. Also nihilism has no negative connotations, that is entirely up to the individual.

How very discerning of you. NOT! :lol: "Wishy washy?" How precise and analytical. :rolleyes:  "Emotionalism?" Nothing emotional even stated. Perhaps you should look at the etymology of ecstasy from the Greek ecstasies.
Nihilsm comes with profoundly negative consequences to most every person I've encountered socially or therapeutically. There are no great nihilist philosophers as far as I can tell. In fact, a philosophical endeavor to describe reality is contrary to the basic position of nihilism. Why even bother? What would be the point? Who cares? I can see the emotional tenor of your response, and waving that nihilistic banner matches it. I wonder if you are out of your 20s yet. The nihilistic trend seems to be a correlate of late adolescent angst. Unfortunately, it also goes hand-in-hand with suicidal youth. It certainly is not a life-sustaining philosophy that has any capabilities for mind-expansion.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: Icelander]
    #19076391 - 11/02/13 06:09 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
but it quite easily evaporates through ecstasy

And vice versa.:sad:

Sorry Ice, I haven't had a complete reversal of ecstasy becoming meaninglessness. I have lows, losses, and periods of disharmony to be sure, but I've never had the opposite. Then again, unlike many people, I don't suffer from Bipolar Disorder in which these pendulum swings can occur with various rates and degrees. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19076409 - 11/02/13 06:13 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I've never been so low that I could feel good again either. Vice versa it is.  I've had great highs go sour in a minute and vice versa.  That's just how life is designed it seems.  No highs without the lows and no lows without the highs.  (at some point)

--------------------

InvisibleCactilove
Controversial Mystic

#19077373 - 11/02/13 09:58 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Nihilsm comes with profoundly negative consequences to most every person I've encountered socially or therapeutically. There are no great nihilist philosophers as far as I can tell. In fact, a philosophical endeavor to describe reality is contrary to the basic position of nihilism. Why even bother? What would be the point? Who cares?

Most people can't handle nihilism as a philosophy so upon encountering it they choose a true world theory as an anti thesis philosophy. If you can handle it however, it becomes beautiful. I don't need an outside source to give me my purpose, I stand independent pursuing happiness for the sake of pursuing happiness. I don't live my life for implicit meaning, I live for my life for me. :shrug:

Why should a man require a divine purpose? Why should a man be born out of meaning? Why can't a man decide this for himself? I have but one destiny and that Is to dance with death, and until then, I shall dance this dance of life, if not for anything else but the simple pleasure of it.

Edited by Cactilove (11/02/13 10:10 PM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

Re: Arguments Against Nihilism? [Re: MarkostheGnostic] * 1
    #19077385 - 11/02/13 10:01 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

Perhaps you should look at the etymology of ecstasy from the Greek ecstasies.

And what does this have to do with logical deduction? What you are suggesting is emotionalism.

Quote:

Nihilsm comes with profoundly negative consequences to most every person I've encountered socially or therapeutically.

And what does this have to do with the concept of nihilism? Your subjective interpretation of individuals who claim to be nihilists, what does this have to do with the idea its self?

There are no great nihilist philosophers as far as I can tell. In fact, a philosophical endeavor to describe reality is contrary to the basic position of nihilism.

Have you read the definition of nihilism? Are you even aware of the implication of the statement you've just made? Mereological nihilism is not philosophy? What the fuck are you talking about?

Quote:

I wonder if you are out of your 20s yet.

Impressive, you're already resorting to personalisms. I won't bother reporting you, by now you should be aware of this logical fallacy and there's nothing I can do or say to point out something so obvious.

InvisibleIcelander
Male

#19078743 - 11/03/13 03:20 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Cactilove said:
Quote:

Nihilsm comes with profoundly negative consequences to most every person I've encountered socially or therapeutically. There are no great nihilist philosophers as far as I can tell. In fact, a philosophical endeavor to describe reality is contrary to the basic position of nihilism. Why even bother? What would be the point? Who cares?

Most people can't handle nihilism as a philosophy so upon encountering it they choose a true world theory as an anti thesis philosophy. If you can handle it however, it becomes beautiful. I don't need an outside source to give me my purpose, I stand independent pursuing happiness for the sake of pursuing happiness. I don't live my life for implicit meaning, I live for my life for me. :shrug:

Why should a man require a divine purpose? Why should a man be born out of meaning? Why can't a man decide this for himself? I have but one destiny and that Is to dance with death, and until then, I shall dance this dance of life, if not for anything else but the simple pleasure of it.

This may be true and the rest of us need something to get us through the night. Certainly I'm not convinced by those who believe in a higher power. Then can't agree on squat.  It's all an open question for me.

--------------------

Edited by Icelander (11/03/13 03:21 AM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#19079937 - 11/03/13 11:33 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Just a question pertaining to human development. Many people go through stages of inner development during which time it is reflected by the music they listen to and the philosophies they adopt. Not every constructed weltanschauung deserves to be called a philosophy in its original Pythagorean sense as 'love of wisdom,' especially if that world-view simply constellate negative consequences. But of course, that is just my opinion, not your's. You needn't be so reactive. It was not an insult to inquire about your chronological age. One's philosophy of choice is often a manifestation of one's developmental timeline. I passed through a nihilistic phase, albeit, not a very articulated, elaborated one. Clearly you have read on this, either current or ancient exponents, and have taken a stance. I've simply made an inquiry of where you're coming from chronologically because I'm a human developmentalist and it's pertinent. :shrug: I don't make a secret out of my own age. It is what it is, and it can move into what developmental psychologist Erik Erickson differentiated as a stage of either Integrity or Despair. A philosophy or weltanschauung can have an enormous influence on how one develops across the lifespan.

Ecstasy is a condition that suggests 'being beside oneself,' in a transcendental ego sort of way. The elevated emotion yields to a more neutral clarity, at least in the way the Buddhists describe the Jhanas becoming increasingly subtle such that the bliss dissipates and yields to an indescribable (ineffable) clarity.

Are you are claiming to be a Mereological Nihilist? Clearly, you won't agree with much of anything I have to say philosophically. Maybe with Mereological essentialism, there would be some common understanding through Madhyamaka philosophy, although I am not wed to that either.

--------------------

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (11/03/13 11:40 AM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#19080254 - 11/03/13 12:58 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Just a question pertaining to human development. Many people go through stages of inner development during which time it is reflected by the music they listen to and the philosophies they adopt. Not every constructed weltanschauung deserves to be called a philosophy in its original Pythagorean sense as 'love of wisdom,' especially if that world-view simply constellate negative consequences. But of course, that is just my opinion, not your's. You needn't be so reactive. It was not an insult to inquire about your chronological age. One's philosophy of choice is often a manifestation of one's developmental timeline. I passed through a nihilistic phase, albeit, not a very articulated, elaborated one. Clearly you have read on this, either current or ancient exponents, and have taken a stance. I've simply made an inquiry of where you're coming from chronologically because I'm a human developmentalist and it's pertinent. :shrug: I don't make a secret out of my own age. It is what it is, and it can move into what developmental psychologist Erik Erickson differentiated as a stage of either Integrity or Despair. A philosophy or weltanschauung can have an enormous influence on how one develops across the lifespan.

Ecstasy is a condition that suggests 'being beside oneself,' in a transcendental ego sort of way. The elevated emotion yields to a more neutral clarity, at least in the way the Buddhists describe the Jhanas becoming increasingly subtle such that the bliss dissipates and yields to an indescribable (ineffable) clarity.

Are you are claiming to be a Mereological Nihilist? Clearly, you won't agree with much of anything I have to say philosophically. Maybe with Mereological essentialism, there would be some common understanding through Madhyamaka philosophy, although I am not wed to that either.

The only reaction I've had has been to your personalism and seeming lack of understanding in regard to the simple concepts which make up nihilism. I've no firm stance on nihilism or any other philosophy and have not claimed to.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#19083288 - 11/03/13 11:17 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The only reaction I've had has been to your personalism and seeming lack of understanding in regard to the simple concepts which make up nihilism. I've no firm stance on nihilism or any other philosophy and have not claimed to.

I try to be as transparent as possible without totally conflating my MtG persona with my professional one. I have been called all kinds of things, and accused of all kinds of things here. I have been banned for joking with someone with whom I have a relationship, by a moderator who was apparently looking for any opportunity to ban me. I explained my inquiry about your age, and hopefully the explanation was satisfactory.

--------------------

InvisiblehTx
(:
Male User Gallery

Loc: Space-time
    #19083427 - 11/03/13 11:38 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male

#19083495 - 11/03/13 11:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:

I try to be as transparent as possible without totally conflating my MtG persona with my professional one. I have been called all kinds of things, and accused of all kinds of things here. I have been banned for joking with someone with whom I have a relationship, by a moderator who was apparently looking for any opportunity to ban me. I explained my inquiry about your age, and hopefully the explanation was satisfactory.

Satisfactory enough for me, I'm apathetic toward this conversation.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order