Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Loc: Flag
next tuesday in seattle
    #1904441 - 09/11/03 08:53 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

theres an initiative (I-75) that goes on the ballot to make adult personal use of marijuana the lowest priority for police officers. if you live in seattle and are registered to vote, please vote yes on this. this is a great step in the right direction. :spliff:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: next tuesday in seattle [Re: Vats of Blood]
    #1906671 - 09/11/03 07:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if i had a scanner i would scan in the article in the seattle times...but i am sans scanner right now

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1906680 - 09/11/03 07:29 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You mean this one that I got off the web page?

You do have internet access?  :lol:

Drug czar calls Seattle pot initiative a 'con'

By Beth Kaiman
Seattle Times staff reporter

E-mail this article

Print this article

White House drug czar John Walters yesterday condemned a Seattle ballot initiative aimed at making marijuana possession the lowest law-enforcement priority, calling it a "con" and a "silly and irresponsible game."

In Seattle yesterday and today to meet with local officials involved with drug treatment, law enforcement and homeland security, Walters talked of the dangers of marijuana, of increased pot use among teenagers and what he views as society's too-frequent attempts to forgive and condone.

The initiative on Tuesday's ballot, he said, is "designed to send a message that marijuana is a trivial matter."

Backers are promoting Initiative 75 as a way to save limited law-enforcement money for crimes more serious than marijuana possession. The initiative would not decriminalize marijuana.

I-75's call for making possession the "lowest law-enforcement priority," with no specific direction on how to do that, would change little about what police do on the street, critics say. Possession of 40 grams or less is a misdemeanor and police and prosecutors spend little time pursuing such cases, according to City Attorney Tom Carr and Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, two of the most public critics of the measure.

Walters' visit, less than a week before the election, represents what has become almost reflex in the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy ? to go to communities considering easing up on marijuana laws, and come down hard.

Last year in Arizona, Nevada and Ohio, Walters made election-time visits to argue against loosening of marijuana laws. He was criticized for using taxpayer money to campaign against local initiatives and for not filing campaign-disclosure forms.

Dominic Holden, a leader in the I-75 campaign, called Walters' visit a "federal intrusion" and an attempt to scare people about marijuana.

Walters maintains that speaking out against drugs is his job, and yesterday he painted the government as the underdog in getting the word out in these local campaigns.

He said he was being forced to fight "big, big money," from people such as the owner of Ohio-based Progressive Auto Insurance, Peter Lewis, who has donated $40,000 to I-75.

"The money here (in the pro-I-75 campaign) is a drop in the bucket," Holden said, "compared to the White House's swimming pool."

Yes, they really do have a website.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineVats of Blood
Dude, what the heck??
Male

Re: next tuesday in seattle [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1906751 - 09/11/03 08:02 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

thats not the one i read..the one i read isnt on the website. so there  :tongue:

and no, i dont have internet access :smile:

--------------------

OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
    #1909687 - 09/12/03 03:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Mmm.. Bunny with flapjack.
*drools*

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion