Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJohnny1
friend
Loc: California
Unorthodox Casing Tek - Will it work??
    #1902674 - 09/10/03 03:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Hi All,

I was trying to decide on my method when I read a post on Lycaeum.  It sounds both sincere and like an easy casing tek.  I will post it below.  But would it work?  Thanks for your thoughts!  :smile2:

Johnny

"SomeoneThrowMeABone
Stranger
Member # 1592
posted July 15, 2003 01:17 PM 

"This guy I knew one time was a relative newbie, and received great advice from a fellow old-timer on this method. He tried it and not only is it easy and low-hassle, it works. While he makes no claims for it being the best casing method out there, it was an easy methos and simple for newcomers to the area, based on all the research he had done prior. This was his second time growing and first time casing. High yields, I was told..he told me to share the method with you. Keep in mind this is after you have colonized cakes (this method calls for 28 quart rubbermaid containers, and 4 pint cakes per container, but he used 2 pint cakes per 6 quart container to save space. He also has only used plastic wrap because of the very low humidity in his area).

Once your jars are fully colonized, flip them over and bang em to get them to drop to the top of the jar. Grab some clear rubbermaid/sterlite containers. Go to walmart or your local feed store and get some perlite. Walmart usually has 8 quart bags for like 2 or 3 bucks. Mix some perlite in a big bowl, slowly add water and mix until the perlite stops absorbing it and water begins to sit on
the bottom of the bowl.

Grab a few handfuls of wet perlite from the top and toss it into the rubbermaid container. Spread the perlite out evenly, you want about a 1 to 2 inch layer on the bottom.

Then pop your cakes out of the jars. Don't worry about contams. With your hands, crumble up the cakes into small pieces and sprinkle it all over the perlite. Spread it all out evenly. I use 28 quart rubbermaid containers, and 4 pint cakes per container. You want your crumbled cake layer 1/2 inch deep.

Spread your crumbled cakes out evenly. Then grab pinches of wet perlite and sprinkle it all over the top. You want about a 1/4 inch layer of wet perlite on top of your crumbled cakes evenly.

Then grab some aluminum foil or some plastic wrap and cover the whole thing up very tightly. Do one with foil and one with plastic wrap to see the difference.  They both work well, but produce somewhat different results.

For about 3 or 4 days, keep it at incubation temps of like 80 degrees. On the 4th or 5th day drop it down to 75 degrees even. Keep it at 75 degrees the whole time. Make sure you have some light in the room.

Don't uncover it or touch it. Just let it sit there. No fanning, no misting, no air pumps, nothing. Within about 10 to 14 days you will have one hell of a flush of mushrooms.

Good luck. Again for Newbies: It is easy. It works. "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Unorthodox Casing Tek - Will it work?? [Re: Johnny1]
    #1902878 - 09/10/03 04:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

While I can't pretend that I have tried anything like this, if I had to guess... I would say it wouldn't work. Firstly, the perlite is the antithesis of a casing material; it's exceedingly bad at retaining water, which is why it is used to increase humidity. Secondly, I doubt there will be enough oxygen for "one hell of a flush of shrooms" to grow.

On the other hand, it could very well work. If you feel it's a tek that would suit your needs, then try it, as long as you're prepared to accept it might not work. Presumably, someone must think it works if they went to the trouble of posting it.

Good luck :grin:

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Unorthodox Casing Tek - Will it work?? [Re: OJK]
    #1903004 - 09/10/03 09:00 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think the perlite may have been a typo. Maybe the original source meant to say vermiculite? Newbs often confuse the two terms. If you replace the perlite in the tek with verm, it will defintely work.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineJohnny1
friend
Loc: California
Re: Unorthodox Casing Tek - Will it work?? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1903189 - 09/10/03 09:43 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you both for your responses and for clearing up the perlite/vermiculite issue.  I might give it a try.  After all, one syringe will do a number of jars.  Why not spend a couple cakes and a Rubbermaid container on testing this one out? 

The biggest drawback is that I would have to control the temp in the whole room rather than just in my terrarium.  That may be too hard to do.  Otherwise, I will post my results.  :mushroom2: :laugh:

Johnny 

Edited by Johnny1 (09/10/03 09:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck