Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheSwazi
just anothershroomer
Loc: U.S.A.
casing never produces like cakes.....just me?
    #1900874 - 09/10/03 12:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Okay, so every time I case my cakes with vermiculite I always get the same results. The mushies are most always bigger than the ones that grow on the cakes but I never get as many......even when I use maybe three cakes in a casing. Why is this????? Everyone says that the yield is much higher with casings but this has never happened for me....WHY??????? What am I doing wrong....argh.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: TheSwazi]
    #1900898 - 09/10/03 12:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Product of the same substrate, no matter if cased or in cake form should yield the same amount, if both are fully depleted. When most people speak of casing they refer to some other substrate (i.e. grains, straw/dung, etc.) which have no non nutrient substance mixed in the substrate such as vermiculite (more nutrient substrate per container).

Offlinegodfetish
Stranger
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1901149 - 09/10/03 03:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

When you say casing, do you mean plopping the cake into a pan and burying it or breaking it up and casing the crumbs? I've assumed you have tried and did not mean the double ended casing teks...

By casing a whole cake in verm you are really limiting the cakes potential unless you break it up, give it a few more days to "re-cake" in the incubator, then case with whatever you choose.

The reason you limit it's potential by leaving it caked is that you greatly reduce the upper surface area of your fruiting space. That is where your mushrooms will develope for the most part once a casing layer is layed down.

It's true that eventually the cake will have the same potential on it's own, cased or broken and cased...but with lessened surface area the buried cake may contam before completion or express syptoms that you are seeing. Larger or smaller fruits than normal are especially common while some don't like to fruit at all...(damn these huautla)

The best way to do cakes is either the standard PF style or one of the cake-to-case teks because the surface area is much larger, allowing for those beautiful first and second flushes you see those pics of.

The next step is really the best though...move on to using cakes(or even grains) to innoculate straw and/or compost and really see what a first flush can look like =) I think that is what Ex was talking about above...innoculting a nutritive substrate with a cake or other spawn like compost and straw, then casing with a non-nutrient material like verm(or low nutrient like peat or coco coir).

gf

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: godfetish]
    #1901521 - 09/10/03 08:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I case in Jiffy Mix with much better output than just on cakes.

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1901601 - 09/10/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

1 brf cake cased or not, 3 to 9 dried grams.

1 brf cake spawned in 10 x the amount of poop/straw = 1 oz dry!

you figure out the rest!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineTHATS iT!
mellow
Loc: In the misty mountains o...
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: PooPs]
    #1902182 - 09/10/03 12:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Add gypsum to casing before sterilization. This keeps pH right as well as giving the mycelia nutrients for mushroom metabolism. 2-3 parts vermiculite 1 part gypsum 1 part H2O.

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: THATS iT!]
    #1902528 - 09/10/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

personally i was dissapointed in cakes, i only got like 4 shrooms per cake with no second flush (this was WITH dunking) but then i just cased my last two cakes with coco coir and verm, id estimate over 60 pins :smile: maybe its beginers luck

Anonymous

Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: TheSwazi]
    #1902544 - 09/10/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

casing cakes when you could be using them for spawning bulk substrate is just plain silly.

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
Re: casing never produces like cakes.....just me? [Re: ]
    #1902562 - 09/10/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

baby steps, im on my way to bulk but natta now

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag