Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Psychotria Viridis, San Pedro, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Official Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna), Delosperma bosseranum and other Sceletium spp. Thread
    #19025237 - 10/24/13 01:55 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I've been growing Delosperma bosseranum for some years, but these plants are the first ones that have survived the winter and flowered. It's quite unexpected because they never looked very healthy. As you can see in the last picture, they consist mostly of bare stem with a few green leaves at the top. This is probably due to them only getting around two hours of direct sunlight during summer, and they're also grown solely in potting soil. The Sceletium tortuosum has a lot of sand in the soil mix, which seems to be better.

Now I'm wondering, are those developing seeds in the third picture, or is it just the flower? It's not clear because the plant went from a sort of flower bud directly to what can be seen in the first picture. There are only two flowers so pollination wouldn't be very evident, especially because it's autumn (fewer insects).

I think the Sceletium tortuosum does a lot better. I've been growing these for about half a year and they already have lots of offshoots and are growing much faster compared to the Delosperma bosseranum.

Edited by Poison Drink (08/10/20 05:58 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSoares
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #19026142 - 10/24/13 04:45 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, those are fruits and seeds. If you let them, they'll colonize every pot in your house. :wink:

--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: LSoares]
    #19036531 - 10/26/13 06:48 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, delosperma are hardy and grow everywhere !! sceletium is really hardy too if kept dry ! mine do well in south France outside (but away from water)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: sidvivius]
    #19039057 - 10/27/13 03:29 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Great to hear I'll have some new seeds for next year. When should I harvest them? I think some of the seeds have fallen out already because there are a few seedlings in the pot.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink]
    #19859026 - 04/17/14 11:03 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It's spring again and the Sceletium tortuosum has outgrown it's mini greenhouse. During the winter months the plants didn't get a lot of sunlight so the side shoots have stretched out quite a bit. I want to take them out of the greenhouse, but I wonder how I should go about doing this.

I don't want to destroy the lid so making more and more holes in it every day isn't an option. I also once killed some succulent plants -I believe it was Delosperma bosseranum- by immediately taking them out of a greenhouse into ambient humidity. They looked fine for the first couple of days but eventually still shriveled and died. Maybe this happened because succulents can retain water more efficiently?

Should I take them out for half an hour at first and increase the time exposed to ambient humidity every day? Will I be able to know if I'm going too fast? Any other suggestions? Should I do it when it's dark or in diffused or direct sunlight?

I can quote myself from half a year ago by saying the Delosperma bosseranum still looks like they consist mostly of bare stem with a few green leaves at the top. I wonder why they don't thrive in the same environment the Sceletium tortuosum seems to be loving. I harvested the seeds of the two pods they produced, and will probably sow them again in a cactus soil with lots of sand in it. These ones are growing in regular potting soil.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: Poison Drink]
    #20266935 - 07/13/14 03:50 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

The Delosperma bosseranum is flowering again.

Some of the succulents are finally starting to grow side shoots. Also, new seedlings are emerging even though I didn't plant any. Some seeds must've dropped from the pod the previous time.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: Poison Drink]
    #20267010 - 07/13/14 04:11 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I had horrible luck with sceletium but yours look fabulous poison.:super:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: ferrel_human]
    #20267184 - 07/13/14 05:07 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

To be honest, the Sceletium tortuosum doesn't look that great at the moment. Lost a lot of leaves and they're not growing that vigorous anymore. Some of the larger specimens are growing side shoots though. I'm still keeping them in an improvised propagator because I didn't acclimatize them yet.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22018783 - 07/30/15 10:38 AM (5 years, 14 days ago)

Last year's Sceletium tortuosum plants didn't survive. Fortunately, I had some leftover seeds which I planted a couple months ago. Thinking they wouldn't germinate anymore, I was surprised to see one seedling after another emerging.

The few Delosperma bosseranum flowers I had gave me plenty of tiny seeds. Sadly, one of my two pots didn't survive the colder months, so I decided to grow them again. It's impossible to sow these seeds one at a time considering their size, so the pots inevitably get overcrowded. The pots with only a few seedlings would grow better, so yesterday I decided to thin a couple of them out and see how the remaining seedlings react.

I wish I had sterilized my soil mixture though. The upper sand layer of some pots has a kind of green contamination growing on it, probably due to high humidity when they were still covered with cling wrap. Is this going to have a negative impact on the plants, and if so, how could I treat this?

Over a week ago, I also sowed some Ephedra sinica seeds, which are now starting to germinate. To maintain a high humidity for the non-germinated seeds, I decided to let the seedlings stick through a ventilation hole.

OfflineStupendous-Yappi
Anomaly XB-311394
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22019479 - 07/30/15 01:59 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

What kind of soil are you using with Sceletium tortuosum? Have you been giving it fertilzer?

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Stupendous-Yappi]
    #22019920 - 07/30/15 03:43 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

I'm using a mixture of cactus soil, potting soil and sand. I have never given them any fertilizer.

Offlinedirectexperience
Broadcastmindfi
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22023580 - 07/31/15 11:04 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Anyone have a good link for how to grow these puppies? temp, humidity, soil?
and how do yall process them for use, Iv seen snuffs online as well as just making tea.
Has anyone successfully grown and used this succulent for shamanic purposes??

--------------------
:mushroom2:
http://www.egodeath.com/WassonEdenTree.htm Mushrooms in religion Wasson
http://terencemckenna.com/tmbib/index.php -Mckenna Bibliography
https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca_info11.shtml yage analogs/list of maoi plants and dmt plants at active levels

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: directexperience]
    #22107403 - 08/18/15 06:13 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I'm growing them in a window sill which receives direct sunlight only a short period of time in the morning. I also thinned a couple of D. bosseranum pots out, and just for the heck of it, I planted some intact seedlings in a jar on my roof terrace. The jar was full of old mushroom spawn (woodchips) with only a bit of old potting soil on top. During those days it was quite hot, with temperatures easily reaching 30°C (86F). But they survived even in full sunlight for most of the day! A botanical garden I used to visit also had Delosperma spp. growing in full sun. 

There's another interesting thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. One of my older D. bosseranum jars died during the colder months, but as I was cleaning out the jar, I noticed the roots had formed a kind of tubers. I seem to recall the roots could be fermented before usage to get rid of the oxalic acid. D. bosseranum is reported to be quite active, but I sadly have no experience with it. The roots were already too dried out to be used.

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #22112238 - 08/19/15 04:30 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I know I've read somewhere before that when growing kanna, they form rhizomes underground and you can dig them up in the winter and keep them dry and replant them. I wonder if you trim up those and replant them if they would grow...

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22112913 - 08/19/15 06:33 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

cowsRmeat said:
I know I've read somewhere before that when growing kanna, they form rhizomes underground and you can dig them up in the winter and keep them dry and replant them. I wonder if you trim up those and replant them if they would grow...

No, they weren't viable anymore. It took me a while before I got about cleaning out the pot, so those rhizomes were all withered and the interior had rotted away. Usually, D. bosseranum plants survive the winter indoors, so there's no need to dig them up, but it would be a great experiment to try one day.

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #22117888 - 08/20/15 08:00 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

That's what I would have thought about the kanna too, so I couldn't figure why they recommended to dig them up... :shrug:

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: cowsRmeat] * 1
    #22138675 - 08/25/15 05:36 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Both succulents are growing steadily. I am however a bit worried about the green and white 'contamination' growing on top of the soil. I didn't think about sterilizing the soil mixture before planting the seeds. What is this, and could this harm the seedlings along the way?

Invisibled0urd3n
Just call me "D"

#23382579 - 06/26/16 01:36 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

How are your plants doing? Still chuggin?

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: d0urd3n]
    #23383485 - 06/26/16 12:03 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I believe your water or soil has a high mineral content, and I can think of amendments, which might be added to cacti mix, leaving a white residue like this -- for instance, diatomaceous earth or rock dust.

I don't think it's mold, because, in my experience, any succulent should have rotted under the dank conditions, in which mold grows.

But, everyone has an opinion...

Nice profile pic, btw.

OfflineLeaves
RingingCedar
Male

Loc: SouthofOz
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #23741220 - 10/16/16 02:26 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I've been growning Sceletium tortuosum/varians/emarcidum & many Delosperma species for about 10 years & I have taken hundreds of cuttings & tried them in different spots & what I have found is that in a wide/shallow terracotta pot put in a location that will get morning sun till about 11am (a bit of late afternoon sun is ok), allowed to completely dry out between waters & when the plants are growing fast (up to flowering time) give them a half strength feed (20ml/9L) of something like Maxicrop seaweed fertilizer. The most productive locations for me have been on a veranda that gets sun until 11:30 then roof block direct sun till 2:30-3:00pm. I also found when planted in the ground in full sun they are healthier if a bed of white rock/quartz is spread around where they are going to spread out onto. They take about 3 years before they have much potency & that varies considerably with the seasons, in my area (sub-tropical queensland/australia) Sceletium sp are most potent just when 1st flowers are opening (October/Spring). Taking cuttings once a fortnight works when incase of loses due to over watering/long rain spells. Some pics of various active mesembs.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25112251 - 04/03/18 11:36 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I'm growing both of these succulents from seed again, so let's revive this thread!

Delosperma bosseranum is easy to grow and flowers abundantly. I believe I first started growing these about 7 years ago. Since then I've been cultivating them continuously, restarting now and then with seeds from my own plants. Sadly I feel like I have never really given them my best. Overcrowding, too small of a pot, barely given nutrients, kept in a dark spot during winter, going months without watering.. They were definitely neglected but they still flowered and reproduced.

Sceletium tortuosum is definitely more finicky to grow in my opinion. They will grow fine in the same conditions as D. bosseranum. But once it turns winter, they will stagnate in growth and start drying out. I never succeeded in getting them to flower, or even in keeping them alive for more than a year.

This year I'm planning to grow them outdoors, in various areas with different micro-climates. I'd assume they would be doing fine in full sun since S. tortuosum is native to South-Africa, but I've read others posts advising to keep them out of the strongest sun. That seems like an interesting experiment. I'm growing both of them in a mixture of seedling soil, worm castings, perlite and white sand. They're in a damp mini greenhouse in front of a sunny window until the weather gets better.

Delosperma bosseranum is easy to germinate. Just sprinkle the tiny seeds on top of some moist soil. They'll be needing a thinning out shortly, since sowing 'just a few' of them is impossible considering their size.

It is said that Sceletium Tortuosum contains water soluble germination inhibitors. To wash them away, I put some seeds in water which I refreshed daily. I was using 'aged' tap water acidified to pH 6 if this should matter. After five days most of the seeds germinated, after which I planted them in soil.  I have just started soaking another dozen of seeds.

Let's share our experiences, tips and tricks!

OfflineLSoares
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
    #25112640 - 04/04/18 03:58 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

For what it's worth, Sceletium tortuosum is a definite winter grower for me.

--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: LSoares]
    #25112720 - 04/04/18 05:51 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I agree, I have the same experience. I believe in habitat it goes deciduous and toughens its stems in the summer, then grows and flowers in winter.
A friend I gave a cutting to had his flower this winter as well, just on a windowsill.
I found it grows well all year under lights. Photoperiod doesn't seem to affect it, I guess it detects summer from the high temperatures. If I'm right I guess it's better not to grow it in full sun.

A great document by Trout on alkaloid content at different times of the year or various Delosperma & Sceletium species: http://troutsnotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/SoS_2004_Trout.pdf

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25112745 - 04/04/18 06:24 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe it is the airflow in my grow unit, but I have trouble keeping S. Tortuosum from drying out.

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25112768 - 04/04/18 06:53 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MeanGreen said:
I believe in habitat it goes deciduous and toughens its stems in the summer, then grows and flowers in winter.

Does the same thing in my location. It goes dormant and the leaves disintergrate, leaving the skeleton of the leaf. This is where it gets its genus name from.

Maybe some peoples plants are going dormant and they think the plant is dead. Just putting that out there if people aren't aware.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: karode13]
    #25113008 - 04/04/18 09:37 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

@MeanGreen: Thanks for that Trout document! I remember it being posted a long time ago, but I completely forgot about it.

Considering S. tortuosum going dormant during summer, when would be the best time to start growing them from seed? Might not have chosen the right timing since spring has just started.

After rereading my older posts in this thread, my previous Kanna plants did seem to grow fine during winter months on a window sill. They would go dormant and the leaves would skeletize at the beginning of summer. So without realizing this, I might have given up on them too soon in the past. Will they completely loose all green in their leaves when they go dormant?

The S. tortuosum plants I'm having were received as unrooted cuttings a year ago. They never really took and didn't grow at all during the colder months. I don't believe these Kanna plants will revive, but I'll keep them around for a while. I put them together with my D. bosseranum plants in a mini greenhouse outdoors. Might still be a bit too cold during the night, and they're definitely not used to direct sunlight, but let's see if they'll handle it.

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
    #25113296 - 04/04/18 12:10 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

That's what happening to mine, so they're fine I guess :smile: Definitely doesn't look that way but I didn't know! I did know about winter growing and dormancy but indoors here the seasons don't make a whole lot of sense.. :wink:

Not sure what the plant would sense winter is like here, cause room temperature (20C) is winter South Africa temp... No idea why it senses it's summer and went dormant. Besides, I think at least one of them is also still growing but also a little skeletized. Is it very confused loL?

What about putting it under most intense light and a little higher temp of 24C in my arid zone to really seal the deal on this dormancy.

I don't mind what the plants want, as long as they aren't too confused about the climate. My climate I mean.

Similarly I wonder how confused my baobab is... it hasn't gone dormant and decidedly deciduous in like a year I think, it was growing alright until recently but it seems slowed.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Solipsis]
    #25113900 - 04/04/18 04:57 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

I remember an old thread on another forum, in which a grower has the most amazing S. tortuosum plant. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this thread. He kept his plants in full sunlight and outdoors during the winter. They would reportedly survive freezing temperatures and snow. It also grew in a low nutrient soil, making it grow upright with thick branches. When he took some plants indoors during winter, they would grow etiolated and would eventually die. I like this robust 'succulent tree' look, so I might grow the next batch of seeds in low nutrient soil. The same can be seen in Trout's document:

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Europe
    #25113973 - 04/04/18 05:37 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

So what are the best way to grow them for fast growth?
Gotta get my 3 sprouted seeds to big plants.
I can try slow growth and pretty looks when i have large plants.

--------------------
A wise rat has many holes

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Mateo]
    #25114362 - 04/04/18 08:54 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

@Solipsis: They might respond to photoperiod changes more so than temperature changes.

I wouldn't worry too much about the time of year that you sow the seed either.

Here's my motherplant. It grows in a large pot with a Trichocereus and Stapelia. It's snaked along the ground. Over a metre in length.

base of plant:

Tail end of plant:

Old skeletonised leaf:

Old flower:

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: karode13] * 1
    #25115351 - 04/05/18 10:14 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Very nice plant Karode :thumbup: I've been thinking of using Sceletium as companion plants for my trichos too, don't the roots compete too much? Also, did you ever get seeds?

And weird coincidence, I went to water my plants today and witnessed my first ever Sceletium flower on the motherplant!

Maybe it is the photoperiod and the plant is just confused which hemisphere it's in. But I've had Sceletium indoors under lights in both 18/6 & 12/12 cycles several times over and didn't seem to affect the plants at all. Maybe the photoperiod changes were too sudden and not sustained long enough though.

Pics:

What I believe to be a flower bud, will monitor it:

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (04/05/18 10:17 AM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25115988 - 04/05/18 03:48 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

You both have very nice Kanna plants.
The old brown and dry growth reminds me of my Delosperma boss plant i had before.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25116026 - 04/05/18 04:02 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

So if the theory is correct, both your plants are growing in more fertile soils? Beautiful plants nonetheless. How old are those? Did anyone ever try to keep them outdoors during winter?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25116098 - 04/05/18 04:42 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Mine is in commercial cactus soil, pretty heavy on sand. But I have cuttings in regular soil with a bit of perlite and they do fine.
I haven't tried leaving some outside for the winter, but I did it with Delosperma cooperi and it survived no problem. Will try it next winter for sure. If it survives I have quite a bit of ground I can let it cover.

I started from a small cutting I bought just last year, took at least 30 cuttings from it since, too.
Here it was on April 29th 2017:

A month later, May 23rd (seedlings on the left):

August 17th (on the right behind the fan):

Seedlings seem to grow much slower for me, I started those a couple weeks before I bought the cutting (see the pic above with the seedlings) and here they are now:

I read that Sceletium dies after 4 or 5 years, has anyone found this to be true?

--------------------
Trade List

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25116181 - 04/05/18 05:21 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Nice MeanGreen.:goodmorning:

My sceletium is probably around 4-5 years old. I'll leave it and see if them dying around this age is true. Its soil is a mixture of cactus and scoria from memory. I sometimes throw odd bits of soil from plants I pot up or left over soil from other things. I fertilise once in a while, mostly for the Trichocereus that's in the pot. I don't think they compete much for roots. The roots on these are quite fine. This plant is also exposed to the elements all year round.

--------------------

OfflineStupendous-Yappi
Anomaly XB-311394
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: karode13]
    #25117175 - 04/06/18 12:38 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Do you guy's do anything special for rooting cuttings? I haven't had much success with getting the cuttings to root before they die.

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Stupendous-Yappi]
    #25117284 - 04/06/18 01:35 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Just sticking the cutting in the ground works but it takes some time and there  are some losses. The fastest way for me by far has been using an aeroponic cloner, this is in less than 2 weeks:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: karode13] * 1
    #25120176 - 04/07/18 10:08 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
Nice MeanGreen.:goodmorning:

My sceletium is probably around 4-5 years old. I'll leave it and see if them dying around this age is true. Its soil is a mixture of cactus and scoria from memory. I sometimes throw odd bits of soil from plants I pot up or left over soil from other things. I fertilise once in a while, mostly for the Trichocereus that's in the pot. I don't think they compete much for roots. The roots on these are quite fine. This plant is also exposed to the elements all year round.

Well I went ahead and planted some cuttings with an Eileen and a Yowie, Aussie style in your honor Karode :grin:

Also, here's my little Delosperma cooperi, my mother was neglecting it so I rescued it last year:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25120345 - 04/07/18 11:33 AM (2 years, 4 months ago)

MG, those pots you have put on the sides of the growtent looks cool.
Did you made the fabric for that arrangement yourself?
That idea must give you some more growspace in the tent.
:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25120444 - 04/07/18 12:12 PM (2 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I got those from amazon and put some on all 4 walls now, they got various sizes it's pretty convenient each pocket can hold 1 or 2 pots of seedlings or cuttings. Those things suck to water though, it drips everywhere if you're not careful.
But yeah thay way I can fit so many more plants I like it.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25135496 - 04/13/18 01:08 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Another flower and one just about ready to pop open, bringing the total to 3 flowers so far:

And here's my best D. bosseranum seedling so far, and some much younger ones showing the cotyledons:

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25135690 - 04/13/18 02:39 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

That's great! Since your Kanna is flowering indoors, will you try and pollinate it by hand? I'm wondering if it's self fertile though. By the way, how old is that Ephedra?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25135968 - 04/13/18 04:23 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I have no idea if it's self fertile either, guess I'm gonna find out. I will try to pollinate the flowers with a paint brush, loph style.

And nice eye haha, that one is about 2 months old, it's Ephedra foemina cf. fragilis "Greece" from seeds harvested in the wild by a friend with great knowledge on the genus.
This species grows super fast, here is the same on March 23rd and some of its sibblings:

I actually germinated a bunch more a couple weeks ago:

Sorry for the offtopic got carried away

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25137790 - 04/14/18 09:41 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I found some old Delosperma bosseranum seeds from my plants i had years ago.
I sprinkled some seeds in a pot, it will be intresting to see if something germinates.
As my old Kanna seeds from around same time years ago did sprout maybe these will too.
These seeds are really small, like dust almost.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25160422 - 04/23/18 07:18 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

So were your D. bosseranum seeds still viable, Mateo? Mine are growing slowly but steadily.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25160467 - 04/23/18 07:33 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Yes, they are viable :smile:

I have a small pot with many tiny seedlings that just have emerged yesterday.
So lucky, both the Kanna and D.Bosseranum seeds have worked despite they are very old.

Yours look wonderful.

--------------------

Edited by Mateo (04/23/18 07:35 PM)

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Mateo]
    #25161716 - 04/24/18 08:53 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Didn't see that one coming, one of my D. bosseranum seedlings is flowering already, I swear it must not be more than 3 months old.
But that flower doesn't look anything like D. bosseranum flowers I see online, is it just that it's immature or?

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25161731 - 04/24/18 09:05 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

The flower has the basic look of the D.Bosseranum but the petals are just short.
Maybe due to it´s young age.
It do look like a D.Bosseranum flower though.
You are probably thinking of other Delosperma flowers.

Some pics of D.Bosseranum flowers from the net

Not sure if all are Delosperma Bosseranum flowers.
There are many Delosperma varietys and flowers do look little different.
Some Delosperma has flowers of other colors and some have long petals and some short, some thin some thick.

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25161737 - 04/24/18 09:08 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Nice thanks a lot, yeah I guess google was showing me other species.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #25161819 - 04/24/18 10:27 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

They grew very fast if those are only three months old. Well done! When I do a google search, I also find mostly pictures of purple D. cooperi flowers. Over the years I harvested dozens of seed pods from my D. bosseranum plants. But to be honest, I have never actually seen it flowering. The flowers might be rather short-lived? Maybe you can tell us shortly, since you discovered them in time. By the way, the seed pods are 'water sensitive' and open up in front of your eyes if you spray them! It's a good strategy to release the seeds when conditions are suitable for germination.

InvisiblePsilosion

#25161842 - 04/24/18 10:47 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Wow I've had these growing wild outside most of my houses ever since I was a kid. I used to have a patch where I currently live but a renter let it die.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Psilosion]
    #25161878 - 04/24/18 11:22 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosion said:
a renter let it die.

Is that even possible? Some dropped seeds might germinate and revive the patch! :biggrin:

InvisiblePsilosion

#25162092 - 04/24/18 01:01 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I'm not sure if it really died or someone just dug it out.
It grows all over the place around here, I'll have to get a cutting of it sometime.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Psilosion]
    #25162393 - 04/24/18 03:20 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I had some neglected D.Bosseranum plants a few years ago and when taking away some dried up plant material i saw there was litteraly hundreds of tiny seeds falling from the dried material.
I put the dried material in a plasic bag and massaged it a little and got thousands of extremely small seeds in the bottom of the bag.
I don´t think i ever saw a flower either but obviosly there must have been some.
It´s these old seeds i have now tryed sow.

I just discovered i accidently had sowed 2 small pots with D.Bosseranum and not only one, and both have tiny leafs starting to grow.
It will be fun to see both Kanna and Delosperma grow again.
I only have 3 kanna seedlings but i hope they will make it, they look good so far.

--------------------

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25162401 - 04/24/18 03:26 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Psilosion, if you have them growing all over why dont you try the magic of these plants.
Both Kanna and Delosperma are used for stimulating and recreational purposes and from what i hear the effects can be very nice.

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25162496 - 04/24/18 04:05 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

While on the topic, has anyone tried Delosperma snuff?
I consume Kanna often so I'm curious how the effects differ with Delosperma.

And for sure PoisonDrink, I'll make sure to let you know how long the flower lasts.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePsilosion

#25162527 - 04/24/18 04:22 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mateo said:
Psilosion, if you have them growing all over why dont you try the magic of these plants.
Both Kanna and Delosperma are used for stimulating and recreational purposes and from what i hear the effects can be very nice.

Do I need an MAOI to feel it? Definitely interested, I think the ones in my area have purple flowers.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25162774 - 04/24/18 06:43 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

You dont need mix this with MAOIs.
If i remember correctly one should mash the plant up into smaller crushed pieces and just store it in a plastic bag and let it start ferment.
Put the bag in warm place, maybe in sunlight.
Then i think it´s dried.
I think it can be both consumed and smoked.
You have to look it up, just google Kanna and how to do.
It should have nice mood lifting effects at lower doses and more europhoric and sedative effects in higher doses if my memory is correct.

--------------------

Edited by Mateo (04/24/18 06:50 PM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25162796 - 04/24/18 07:01 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

The roots, leaves and trunk of the succulent plant can all be prepared into a substance that one can chew, smoke, snuff or make tea of.

Here you go,
Kanna preparation

Delosperma should be prepared in same way i guess.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25163561 - 04/25/18 01:54 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I believe you shouldn't take this with a MAO inhibitor, since these succulents contain SSRI's and the combination is not recommended. I haven't tried D. bosseranum yet, because I never really had enough plant material. Also, I wouldn't know how to go about preparing it for consumption. I did try commercial Kanna extract and tea, though I wasn't very impressed with the effects.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25164084 - 04/25/18 10:55 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Damn, delosperma flowers are short lived indeed... I went to check on it and all the petals are gone at this point. About 24h I guess is the timeframe you can catch them open. Now to see if a single flower will set fruit...

Edit: also pollinated a few Sceletium flowers with a soft paintbrush, hope it works out.

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (04/25/18 10:57 AM)

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25177019 - 05/01/18 06:19 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

A uppdate on the progress of my 3 small Kanna seedlings.

And i have 2 pots that looks like this.

Its Delosperma Bosseranum that just popped up recently.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25177191 - 05/01/18 08:39 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Mine look almost the same, Mateo! I did place one little pot outdoors as a trial a couple of weeks ago, just to see if the seedlings would survive the colder nights of April. They're the ones with the reddish stem. The pot next to it was sown on the same date, but grown indoors. The two in the back were sown a week or two later. Their soil doesn't contain any fertilizer. That experiment will need some time before showing any differences in growth I suppose. Now all four of those pots will stay outdoors, while the other S. tortuosum seedlings are kept indoors on a windowsill in a mini greenhouse, with supplementary CFL light.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25178191 - 05/01/18 05:09 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Kanna cutting doing its thing thanks to a very generous forum member.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25178574 - 05/01/18 08:19 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Nice to see you found some S. tortuosum cuttings, Grey Fox! Were they rooted already? Your climate is probably comparable to their natural habitat, so I'm interested to see how they'll do.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25178948 - 05/01/18 11:43 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Other species of ice plant are commonly grown as landscape plants around here so I expect Sceletium tortuosum to do well also. The biggest problem seems to be that ice plants go dormant in the summer heat. This one kanna cutting I have is planted in a fairly shady area so hopefully it won't go dormant in the summer. I also planted some seeds so hopefully more kanna plants will be sprouting soon. This cutting was unrooted but its starting to show growth at the tip so maybe roots are forming.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
    #25179147 - 05/02/18 03:32 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

sceletium is easy to root (but can be long sometimes), nice plant to put everywhere (especially in hanging pots)

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica *DELETED* [Re: sidvivius]
    #25191921 - 05/08/18 06:45 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: JayWise]
    #25191937 - 05/08/18 06:54 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

My ephedra seedlings seem easy to dry out in the tops.
I hope the dont die.
I have put them in the greenhouse outside now.
What conditions Ephedra fawor?
Like humid, dry, warm, cold?

--------------------

InvisibleJayWise
Male User Gallery
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica *DELETED* [Re: Mateo]
    #25191987 - 05/08/18 07:23 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Post deleted by JayWise

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineBetaBlackbird
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: JayWise]
    #25192201 - 05/08/18 09:22 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

The ephedra occur in a wide range of habitat from rocky mountain tops at 3-4000ft to sandy beaches at sea level (ie/ ephedra sinica-->ephedra distachya). Depends on the species, they all seem to tolerate the same habitat though. They are xerophytes so can handle the drought in the summer and i think the only thing to avoid is really wet compacted soil in the winter or summer. Mine thrive in cactus mixed with loamy potting mix. Same as S. tortuosum really, for the soil media anyway.

Tips do die off but you have a viable node there still :thumbup:. Your soil looks like it has algae growing on it, make sure it dries well betweem waterings. I'll snap some pics of ephedra seedlings and a neglected kanna (5 years neglected haha).

Edit: Pics or it didnt happen: Start with Kanna

Really mossy but they dont seem to mind, scratched it so the soil characteristics are obvious

Heres this guy saying let it dry out between watering, then he posts a photo with bryophytes smothering the soil haha :rolleyes:

Edited by BetaBlackbird (05/08/18 09:49 PM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: BetaBlackbird]
    #25192896 - 05/09/18 06:24 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

What a ginormous Kanna plant! Looks like you're keeping it in a decent sized container! Any recommended methods for germinating Ephedra seeds? I placed some seeds in water whilst under a CFL, but nothing happened. So I moved the remaining seeds to the fridge to give them a cold stratification.

OfflineBetaBlackbird
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25194740 - 05/10/18 05:37 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Its been in that 3Gal/15L? container for 3 years at least, the odd seaweed fert over summer and watering occasionally and not really at all in winter. I wonder how long they live for?

To germinate Ephedra seeds (tested with sinica, distachya, gerardiana, fragilis and intermedia). Put them in a takeaway container in between moist paper towels then leave them in the fridge with the lid cracked. Its needs to be cracked to allow FAE otherwise the seeds can go mouldy (make sure they dont dry out, the fridge has low relative humidity). Leave them in the fridge for a 3-4 days and then look for signs of germination- this breaks stratification dormancy (first sign is the micropylar cap pushing out and then the seed cracks open and the radicle emerges). As someone mentioned above the fresh seeds are best but Ephedra have a dormancy mechanism too so be patient and change the paper towel every few days and remove any dodgey looking seeds that become mouldy. Place em taproot/radicle down and cover with just less than 1/2" or 1cm of soil, that helps the cotyledons come out, not totally necessary though. 

You obviously can germinate naturally by burying in the soil in winter and then they will germ in spring but for those who are unpatient the above method works well.

Ive seen fruits with roots emerging after a rain storm, precociously germinating, transplanting these is the natural 'tek' haha. That happened with campyopoda and sinica so im guessing it happens with all or most species (maybe not E. breana with no fleshy coat though)

These are both awesome plants, Kanna with weed is a great synergy and Ephedra tea is amazing when sick, or allergy season is upon ya. I dont recommend recreational ephedra but then i dont even drink Coffee, it just deserves respect as a trad. plant medicine.

Stimulants are meh, what goes up must come down hah. Good to have in the medicine cabinet though.

Hope that helps ya and anyone else looking to germinate some seeds :thumbup:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: BetaBlackbird]
    #25205790 - 05/15/18 05:27 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

My Ephedra seeds have been in the fridge for about two weeks. I didn't hydrate them though. Would it be advisable to try to germinate them in the fridge, or should I just sow them in room temperature, considering they already had their cold stratification? My attempt to germinate E. equisetina in lukewarm water without cold stratification failed.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25205806 - 05/15/18 05:35 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

My Ephedra Viridis seeds did germinate after i had them like a month in the refrigerator and then planted them in soil.
I had the soil in varm place between 25-28 degrees C and under strong CFL.
After a week or little less i got sprouts showing.

When i first tried sow same seeds without the refrigeration time they failed.

I have no idea if this is the right way but thats how i did it.
Other Ephedra seeds didnt germinate with same treatment and another Ephedra variety germinated without refridgeration time just planted in soil.
Seems like seed quality is important.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25205832 - 05/15/18 05:51 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, thanks! Maybe I should keep them in the fridge for a little longer. Let's hope the cold stratification will wake them up!

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #25235262 - 05/29/18 03:06 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

This is the effect of light intensity on the growth of Sceletium tortuosum and Delosperma bosseranum. The ones on the left have been growing outdoors, although not in constant direct sun. They're tucked away between other plant's containers, but are still in a bright spot. The ones on the right are growing indoors in front of a window. It's definitely a less bright spot, even though they get about an hour of direct sunlight a day. The preferred growth conditions of both succulents seem opposite to each other at the moment.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #25246290 - 06/03/18 02:57 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Nice comparison & seedlings, PoisonDrink :thumbup:

I just noticed today that my D. bosseranum has produced seedpods. It probably did so a few weeks ago at least because I found pods that were already dried on the plant.

It really is a fast growing plant, and since I posted about the first flower it has been flowering a lot, new flowers every week.

Here's the growth in slightly over a month (1st pic taken 24/04):
->

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (06/04/18 03:25 AM)

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25247252 - 06/04/18 02:58 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

My Kanna and Aptenias have gone dormant for the summer.  The chickens ate the Delosperma.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25254427 - 06/07/18 05:05 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Seedpods galore! How did your S. tortuosum flower end up, MG? By the way, since you have experience in making Kanna, have you ever tried this preparation with D. bosseranum?

I placed my older Delosperma bosseranum plants outdoors a month or two ago, when it was still occasionally freezing during the night. Obviously they weren't used to this, and most of their leaves fell of. But they have since recovered and are pushing out fresh growth and flowers. Like mentioned before, these are very sturdy succulents! I'm going to keep a few outdoors next winter to see if they'll survive. They're called ice plants after all.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25254503 - 06/07/18 05:39 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I'm not seeing any seed pods so far unfortunately, and I didn't post it but I had another cutting flower indoors that I also tried to pollinate.
The thing is I really can't locate the stigma in my Sceletium flowers, there's lots of stamens and visible pollen but nowhere for it to go.

I just tried to rub some pollen around and down at the bottom of the flower, but now I'm wondering if maybe Sceletium is dioecious and my plant is just a male :confused:

I haven't tried to prepare a delosperma snuff yet but it is indeed on my todo list, just waiting for my plants to get slightly bigger and I will do it and document the procedure and the bioassay results.

They sure can take freezing, the D. cooperii plant I got was originally my mother's and it used to spend its winters outside, drenched in rain and snow and everything.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25280572 - 06/20/18 11:28 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

My Delosperma bosseranum is also flowering! In all the years I'm growing these, this is the first time I actually saw the flowers.. One of those flowers is a survivor too, I believe it's been going close to a week now..

Would be very interested to read about your endeavors in making a snuff with this plant, MG! I seem to remember the roots are the most potent? They grow some kind of tuber.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25280884 - 06/20/18 01:55 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

What a lovely little flower they have.
Maybe thats why one never see the flowers but seedpods are appearing.
Mine is too small for flowers or seeds i think.
The snuff making is intresting.

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25281119 - 06/20/18 03:47 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Gorgeous, you'll see it's gonna basically flower every other day if you manage to catch it, usually around noon. The flowers on mine never seem to last more than one day, but it pushes new flowers super often.

I'll try to make a small amount of snuff next week, just enough for 2 or 3 lines so I don't rape my plants too much. I have not repotted any yet to see the tuber, but I've seen pictures it looks awesome. I guess it takes a long time to develop the carrot though.

Will document the process.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25281154 - 06/20/18 04:17 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

This is what I posted about the subject a couple of years ago. My current D. bosseranum plants fell over one day during a storm. They lost a bit of soil due to this, so their tuber was poking through the soil at that time. But they could also be grown sort of bonsai style. They look like a small succulent tree that way. Never had mine grow that way though..

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
There's another interesting thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. One of my older D. bosseranum jars died during the colder months, but as I was cleaning out the jar, I noticed the roots had formed a kind of tubers. I seem to recall the roots could be fermented before usage to get rid of the oxalic acid. D. bosseranum is reported to be quite active, but I sadly have no experience with it. The roots were already too dried out to be used.

Plants like these look amazing:

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25281198 - 06/20/18 04:39 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Hell yeah I like it, caudex style! I might dig up some soil on one of mine.
Roots are said to be the most potent part on sceletium too, but stems and leaves work very well too from experience. I need to repot my D. cooperii and make it thrive again, a DMT & 5-MeO + mesembrine snuff should be fun haha :smile:

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25281237 - 06/20/18 04:56 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I wonder how they go about growing it like that. I have always kept mine in a small pot, yet still they never grew a caudex.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25281285 - 06/20/18 05:27 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

How cool, a caudex :smile:

Maybe there is a way of promoting this feature.
I have another plant that have a bulb like that but bigger, no ethno plant though.
I like the looks of it.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25281813 - 06/20/18 09:38 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Maybe those plants are not D. bosseranum, but D. napiforme?

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25283255 - 06/21/18 02:32 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, it looks like it´s the case.
Seeds seem avaliable online.
I wonder if it has same properties as D.Bosseranum?

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25283472 - 06/21/18 04:25 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

No mention of D. napiforme in Trout's notes either. The notes do contain a picture of a D. bosseranum with a caudex. Who knows, there might be a lot of misidentification going on. They look very much alike.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #25283503 - 06/21/18 04:42 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

They are very much alike, but both are Delospermas so that might not be so strange.
Wonder if alkaloids are same too.

My seedlings are going slow but i should have repotted long ago.
I have done it now though.

D.bosseranum and Kanna

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25284793 - 06/22/18 10:35 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

What kind of light do they receive, Mateo? They look very healthy! I should also repot and separate my D. bosseranum seedlings.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25285398 - 06/22/18 05:04 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I just keep the D.bosseranum and Kanna seedling pots inside the kitchen window.
It has morning sun and sun until middle of day.
Maybe can they grow better if in a better location.
But they seem fine now.
Before i had them in the sowing pot, overcrowded.
So they stopped growing or grew very slow.
But now they are taking off.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25294325 - 06/27/18 08:48 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I have also repotted my succulent seedlings! The S. tortuosum was already getting rootbound, due to being with two or three siblings in the same little pot. Mine are kept in a more sunny spot, but they're definitely not bigger than yours. So keep on doing what you're doing.

The D. bosseranum seedlings however had a tiny little root, which made it easy to separate, but hard to repot. No Idea why they didn't have a strong root system yet. They were cramped together in a little pot, but plenty of soil mixture wasn't grown through yet. They look healthy though, but they do not like a lot of direct sunlight in their young age it seems. I'm growing most of them indoors now since the outdoor ones are still super small and red from the sun. Hard grown Delosperma bosseranum. Maybe they'll get a growth spurt in the autumn..

Offlinemerch137
Genetic Resevoir
 User Gallery

#25295208 - 06/27/18 05:21 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I never got the fascination with delosperma when I looked it up it was either an ornamental or something like datura but I think that was henbane which is another I dont really get.

When I get kanna again which I really want some cuttings right now... This looks like a good companion here :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri

--------------------
Those that know their mushrooms say...[...] Amanita.
[quote]sublimistri said:
id probably just trip it out then make them a friend and grow my own belladonna secretly to dose them on. [/quote]

[quote]sublimistri said:
this is the exact reason I wanna grow belladonna, because ima get that bitch back. [/quote]

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: merch137]
    #25295230 - 06/27/18 05:35 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I've grown Bacopa monnieri and it's a very cool plant but I wouldn't use it as a companion plant for kanna, it loves water way too much. Mine actually dried up within a couple weeks of neglecting to water it. Kanna can take some serious drought on the other hand.

Bacopa can be aquatic, it can be grown fully submerged under water. Many people use it as an aquarium plant.

Delospermas are definitely not just ornamental, they have the same alkaloids as kanna, and some species produce DMT & 5-MeO. Trout has some great notes on the genus

--------------------
Trade List

Offlinemerch137
Genetic Resevoir
 User Gallery

#25295352 - 06/27/18 06:17 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

By companion I don't mean in the same pot.

This is one plant that is in kanna+bliss.

P.Torch, Kanna, and Bacopi might be the three succulents I choose to grow. I like growing succulents but theres not too many interesting ones, if delosperma is euphoric I might grow some of it. Reading the bottom of your post if it has many of the same alkaloids I might get some cuttings, Sceletium.Nova or Novo also looks interesting but looks more expirimental which is how I viewed delosperma I think.

Kind of want to keep the indoors tents of succulents down in species for now to expand those species when i get light for the areas.

I grew kanna ten years ago I think they liked a lot of water too. I used a really airy soil though. Aquatic and hydroponic plants are big plusses for me in collection. Got some watercress but havent made plans for it yet.

--------------------
Those that know their mushrooms say...[...] Amanita.
[quote]sublimistri said:
id probably just trip it out then make them a friend and grow my own belladonna secretly to dose them on. [/quote]

[quote]sublimistri said:
this is the exact reason I wanna grow belladonna, because ima get that bitch back. [/quote]

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25321802 - 07/12/18 09:19 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I'd say my Sceletium tortuosum has grown quite well in two weeks time. I keep them out of the strong afternoon sun. My older Delosperma bosseranum plants are still flowering profusely. I think two thirds of the plant is made up of seed pods.

Quote:

Poison Drink said:

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25331451 - 07/17/18 01:53 PM (2 years, 26 days ago)

My Delosperma Bosseranum plants are flowering

It was not so long since i sowed these, they shure flower fast.

--------------------

InvisibleSpacedout201
Friend to all

#25331596 - 07/17/18 03:23 PM (2 years, 26 days ago)

I really wish I had some info for ya poison. I just don't have access to these plants out here where I live so I was never able to give them a try :sad:

--------------------
Selling my Tricho clones this year in the Market Place. Here's one of my links

Hit me up via PM if you're interested in adding some healthy plants to your collection.

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Spacedout201]
    #25331725 - 07/17/18 04:19 PM (2 years, 26 days ago)

PD, if you repot and separate those D.Bosseranum in the small pot thay will take off fast.
Mine looked almost exactly like that not long ago and after repot and separating they started grow fast.
Now they are flowering and this was a suprise.

My Kanna seem to have stopped growing after spraying them with a bug spraw mix.
It was obviously too strong and i see some deformation on the leafs.
But they are alive and i expect them to start growing again very soon.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25331971 - 07/17/18 06:33 PM (2 years, 26 days ago)

I did repot some of the D. bosseranum seedlings. Their roots were still extremely small though, a couple of millimeters. A friend of mine received a little seedling pot and gave them a repotting. They have grown quite a bit and the roots are poking through the holes in the bottom of the pot. Maybe my soil mixture contains too much fine sand. All the repotted ones are still growing indoors though. I could place some of them outdoors together with the S. tortuosum. How long would you say it took your plants from seed to flowering?

InvisibleSpacedout201
Friend to all

#25332384 - 07/17/18 10:24 PM (2 years, 26 days ago)

I can tell you that sand is not a great soil mixture (especially fine sand)except for in the ground where it helps to drain the soil properly.

But as I said I've never worked with these particular plants before so I wish you luck.

--------------------

Hit me up via PM if you're interested in adding some healthy plants to your collection.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Spacedout201] * 1
    #25339948 - 07/22/18 04:06 AM (2 years, 22 days ago)

One of my kanna plants had a little accident, its pot tipped over and broke a few bits and pieces so I'm doing a small emergency batch.

It reminded me I need to make some Delosperma bosseranum snuff and give it a try so I harvested it a bit of it as well.
I'll document the process for both kanna & delosperma and report back on bioassay results.

Here's the fresh material, I removed all ripe and unripe seedpods from the delosperma. Both plants were cut around 6pm (time of the day apparently makes a lot of difference in delosperma alkaloid content according to Trout's notes).

D. bosseranum cut in small pieces with scissors, mashed thoroughly with the round end of a kitchen knife and bunched up in a corner for optimal fermentation:

S. tortuosum finely cut & mashed the same way. Kanna seems a lot juicier and easier to mash than delosperma to me.

Closed the takeaway containers and put in a full sun spot. Now we wait. I'll try to post pics showing the change in color and texture over the next 7 days.

Hopefully the heat won't melt the containers, didn't think about that beforehand...

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (07/22/18 04:12 AM)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25340359 - 07/22/18 12:55 PM (2 years, 21 days ago)

Keep us informed of your findings, MG! I'm interested to see how much remains after the fermentation and drying, and if you can confirm the alleged high potency of D. bosseranum.

@Spacedout201: some of my D. bosseranum seed pods have dried up in the meantime and are ready for harvesting. If you want some, just sent me a PM. :pm:

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25350028 - 07/27/18 11:23 AM (2 years, 16 days ago)

5 days later it's pretty much done with that small amount, it's almost dry and has the right smell. I will scrape it and leave it to dry, then turn it into powder.

Kanna:

Delosperma:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25350180 - 07/27/18 12:46 PM (2 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
I did repot some of the D. bosseranum seedlings. Their roots were still extremely small though, a couple of millimeters. A friend of mine received a little seedling pot and gave them a repotting. They have grown quite a bit and the roots are poking through the holes in the bottom of the pot. Maybe my soil mixture contains too much fine sand. All the repotted ones are still growing indoors though. I could place some of them outdoors together with the S. tortuosum. How long would you say it took your plants from seed to flowering?

My D.Bosseranum took 3 months from sowing the seeds until i got many flowers.
Thats quite quick i must say.
They grow inside my kitchen window getting sun morning to about 13.00.
It has been a sunny 3 months though.

--------------------

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25350187 - 07/27/18 12:52 PM (2 years, 16 days ago)

MG, that fermentation experiment looks very good.
It sure will be intresting to see what your findings are.
If it turns out well i will do some myself.
Keep up the good work :thumbup:

--------------------

InvisibleSpacedout201
Friend to all

#25350196 - 07/27/18 12:56 PM (2 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

MeanGreen said:
5 days later it's pretty much done with that small amount, it's almost dry and has the right smell. I will scrape it and leave it to dry, then turn it into powder.

Kanna:

Delosperma:

I'm soooo :excited:

Let us know what it does exactly PLEASE!!!

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Spacedout201] * 1
    #25360467 - 08/01/18 05:31 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

D. bosseranum seed pods open up before my eyes when they get wet, even though the seed pods look dried up! Have you sampled any of that homemade snuff in the meantime, MeanGreen?

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25360601 - 08/01/18 06:50 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

Cool PD
I must try wet a pod and look at the seeds :smile:

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25368116 - 08/05/18 02:11 PM (2 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
D. bosseranum seed pods open up before my eyes when they get wet, even though the seed pods look dried up! Have you sampled any of that homemade snuff in the meantime, MeanGreen?

I am slowly working with the delosperma snuff, I did a small allergy test a couple days ago just for safety, and today I took a small line, probably about half of what I usually take with kanna.
I definitely felt it, as far as I could tell it was very similar to the same dose of kanna, maybe slightly more stimulating even but it's too early to tell. It smells exactly like kanna once fermented, too.

So far it seems to me like it could be a really great alternative to Sceletium since it grows much faster and is much more widely available in seed or plant form.

Next time I will double the dose and report back. Curious about trying D. cooperi too now...

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMateo
High on LIFE!
Male User Gallery

#25368748 - 08/05/18 08:14 PM (2 years, 7 days ago)

Yes it would be intresting to hear the results for D. cooperi.
This one i don´t have growing.
Isn´t this one containing something else also like DMT?
I seem to recall somthing like that.

--------------------

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25368770 - 08/05/18 08:28 PM (2 years, 7 days ago)

Yes it apparently has DMT & 5-MeO along with the mesembrine alkaloids, but I think the levels vary a lot depending on season and even timemof the day if I remember Trout's notes correctly.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25389216 - 08/15/18 05:11 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Repotted my bigger Sceletium about a month ago, and it's growing actively again. I don't really understand this plant's hibernation.

Will try the delosperma snuff again with a bigger dose sometime this week and report back.

I tried smoking kanna for the first time yesterday, always snuffed it before. The taste isn't very enjoyable but it's pretty damn potent, I just sprinkled a small amount on a joint, like maybe 0.1 or barely 0.2 grams of roughly ground homemade kanna and by the middle of the joint I could definitely feel it, by the end I'd say I was a bit overstimulated.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25390620 - 08/15/18 06:54 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

That's a lovely plant! Does it stay outdoors during the winter? I'm perplexed by how different these plants look under different growing conditions. Take a look at this Kanna plant someone grew on another forum. Very interested in hearing of your future endeavors with Delosperma spp. snuffs too! In the meantime, my S. tortuosum plants have inexplicably slowed down in growth. I should take a new picture to compare, since they're rather slow anyway.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25390670 - 08/15/18 07:23 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

MeanGreen said:
I don't really understand this plant's hibernation.

I have a small Kanna plant that was rooted from a small cutting in the spring. As soon as the summer heat kicked in the foliage withered away and died. Now my little plant looks like the brown stems at the base of your plant in the photo above. I'm hoping it comes back in the fall but I'm only 50/50 on whether or not it is still alive.

The dormancy on these plants appears to be quite severe. They really look dead.  In fact I know someone who lives nearby who had 2 large delosperma ice plants that flowered profusely. Last summer they went completely dormant and he mistakenly believed that they had died. He dug them up and threw them away.  :ohwell:

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25390674 - 08/15/18 07:24 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Thanks man, no I'm definitely taking it inside during the winter.
Very nice plant the guy grew in that thread, very tight nodes. But I think they will end up looking more alike, basically the leaves that make it look bushy will die off, and it will turn more snakey/rampant like mine or Karode's. There's also the possibility that some of us are growing different species of Sceletium like expansum, emarcidium and others without knowing it.

Seedlings definitely take a while at first, but after some time they'll take off. Here's the same plant as above when I first got the cutting on April 7th of last year:

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25390760 - 08/15/18 08:00 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

It has definitely grown a lot in a little over a year! That's a plausible theory, the one about unknowingly growing different Sceletium spp. Here's another theory I posted about a couple of months ago.

Quote:

Poison Drink said:
I remember an old thread on another forum, in which a grower has the most amazing S. tortuosum plant. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this thread. He kept his plants in full sunlight and outdoors during the winter. They would reportedly survive freezing temperatures and snow. It also grew in a low nutrient soil, making it grow upright with thick branches. When he took some plants indoors during winter, they would grow etiolated and would eventually die. I like this robust 'succulent tree' look, so I might grow the next batch of seeds in low nutrient soil. The same can be seen in Trout's document:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25391769 - 08/16/18 09:09 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

My D. bosseranum plants are still flowering. I had placed them in a little greenhouse a while ago, since the weather forecast predicted hail. They seem to like it more there, out of the full sun. Therefore they have pushed out some new and green vegetative growth. I will keep them in there for now, I'm even considering to put a couple of the S. tortuosum pots in the greenhouse. The Kanna plants haven't grown a lot in the last month. Maybe they're already in need of a bigger pot.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25400800 - 08/20/18 04:08 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Did 3 lines of Delosperma bosseranum snuff this afternoon, definitely as active as kanna and very similar, loving it.
I'm gonna plant a bunch more for sure.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleRobertDobbert
Superboy
I'm a teapot

#25441797 - 09/07/18 06:58 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Really nice plants! What effects do they give?

About kanna, I only know the kanna powder extract.
I buy them as powder. Would also like to plant like that!

--------------------
IF YOU FEAR SUFFERING TOMORROW, YOUR ALREADY SUFFER NOW. :mushroom2:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: RobertDobbert]
    #25442501 - 09/07/18 01:47 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I only ever used kanna extract powder and tea. If you were wondering about the effects of D. bosseranum snuff, you should read MeanGreen's post above yours. Both of these succulents are easy to grow from seed.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25442575 - 09/07/18 02:35 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Yeah I'd say it's very similar to kanna but a bit more stimulating, and this slight difference was noted by a friend of mine who has some experience with kanna without me mentionning it before. It is a mild difference though, both plants have very very similar effects.

Btw you'd be surprised how little difference there is between most extracts and plain kanna, I started off buying those overpriced extracts that come in tubes, then cheaper ebay x50, but really, homemade kanna is just as potent ime.

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #25443566 - 09/07/18 10:13 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

While on the topic of Delosperma, I've been having a really hard time getting cooperi cuttings to root.
Do any of y'all have tips?

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Acaterpillar] * 1
    #25444531 - 09/08/18 09:18 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Looky here :grin:
Found 2 other open flowers on the plant. Hoping my seed grown one flowers as well so I can maybe produce seeds.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25445473 - 09/08/18 06:05 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

That's beautiful, MeanGreen! Did one of your S. tortuosum plants produce seeds yet?

@Acaterpillar: I never felt the need to take Delosperma spp. cuttings. D. bosseranum grows pretty fast and blooms profusely, so no lack of seeds. I did find this blog post which describes in detail how to take and treat D. cooperi cuttings up until rooting occurs. Good luck and keep us posted!

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25487888 - 09/25/18 01:52 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Thanks, Poison! They never did, hopefully this time they do, got some advice and was told to really try to go deep inside the flower as the stigma is buried in there. We'll see if my attempts are fruitful this time.

I uprooted one of my Delosperma bosseranum when repotting the tricho it was with, didn't expect to see that kind of tuber! Now I see how they could become caudex-like

--------------------
Trade List

Invisiblekarode13M
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25488925 - 09/25/18 09:17 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I have some of that growing with the scopulicola I put in the ground the other day. There was 3 large tubers. I was also surprised.

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: karode13] * 1
    #25492272 - 09/27/18 08:47 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Interesting picture, MG! I did a little digging myself and found my older D. bosseranum plants likewise have quite a tuber. Also notice the countless seedlings that have sown themselves.

The S. tortuosum hasn't grown a lot, since I might have placed them in a too bright spot lately, and they definitely are in need of a repot.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25495247 - 09/28/18 11:22 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Repotted the S. tortuosum today. I added a bit of organic, acid loving fertilizer granules to a couple of the pots, to see if they will show a difference in growth. What should I do with these in a couple of weeks when it gets colder? I will probably take most of them inside, but I wonder if they would survive outdoors in an unheated, plastic greenhouse?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25533890 - 10/13/18 09:26 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

1 month since first flowers and my plant is still pushing a bunch of them, I think I have a good shot at getting seeds this time around.

About Sceletium pollination, I was told by someone at Herbalistics that the stigma is buried quite deep in the flower and to really get in there with the brush, so I'm trying that.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25534070 - 10/13/18 11:08 AM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Beautiful plant! Best luck with pollinating it. Let us know how it turns out.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #25536405 - 10/14/18 12:13 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

It looks so lush and green too! Luckily we are having a delightful Indian summer in Europe. Do you reckon bees would be able to pollinate the flowers? Is it actually known if S. tortuosum is self-pollinating?

My S. tortuosum plants have grown quite a bit in those two weeks after the repot. I had also placed them out of the full sun, which they seem to appreciate.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25536552 - 10/14/18 01:19 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Those seedlings are looking great man, very nice job! :thumbup:

From a couple reports when I asked around (namely planthelper & someone at Herbalistics) Sceletium is self-fertile.
However I do not think bees could pollinate it, the stigma seems to be really buried deep, it's invisible when looking at the flower. I believe in the wild it must be pollinated by some native bugs with long noses/trunks maybe.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25571378 - 10/27/18 02:16 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Well most of my S. tortuosum plants have started growing rather lanky after their repotting. I did use about 1/4th of fertilized potting soil in their new soil mixture, so that might be the reason.

MG, Did you succeed in pollinating those Kanna flowers?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25571477 - 10/27/18 02:52 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Doesn't look to stretchy to me, they're really nice!
I won't know before a little while if the pollination was successful, these flowers last for a long time, I don't see any spent flower yet there's at least 25 open right now.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25571516 - 10/27/18 03:12 PM (1 year, 9 months ago)

Do you think the flower would survive for that long after a successful pollination? I reckon my plants like this kind of weather, so they definitely are healthy. But my plan was to grow them in different conditions, one being in low fertilized soil trying to get the more dense type of growth. I did this by adding some slow release organic fertilizer to half of the plant's soil. But I used the 1/4th of fertilized potting soil for all of them, which might have been too much already. Maybe I can try and heavily top a couple of plants in the future to see how they will grow.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25743495 - 01/14/19 01:50 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I lost about half of my indoor S. tortuosum plants, probably due to overwatering. I had a fungus gnats infestation a while ago, which I combat with parasitic nematodes. The soil needed to be kept moist for a couple of weeks for the nematodes to kill off the fungus gnats larvae. I don't think they were affected by the fungus gnats though, I just treated all of the plants to be safe.

I also kept two S. tortuosum pots outdoors in the open air. They seem to be doing fine at the moment, even though we experienced some light freezing a couple of nights already. They get watered every time it rains, which is quite frequently these days. So I'm unsure if my original diagnosis of overwatering is correct. Well let's see if they'll survive this winter.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25836040 - 02/25/19 06:57 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

My kanna didn't stop flowering all winter and now the sun is out it's pushing even more flowers.
Still no sign of any seeds though :frown:

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

#25838358 - 02/26/19 08:31 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Are they self fertile? Do you have another one?

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Johnny Dont]
    #25838565 - 02/26/19 10:34 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

What a beautiful plant, MG! Did you try and pollinate those flowers by hand again? S. tortuosum might not be able to self-pollinate after all?

My outdoor succulents were covered in snow a while ago, and didn't seem to have survived the cold. Even the D. bosseranum 'ice plants' look dead, but new shoots might emerge out of the tuber. They were growing in small pots though, so probably the roots have been frozen.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25838775 - 02/26/19 12:22 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

I do give them a wiggle with a paintbrush every once in a while, going as deep as I can. I'm really starting to think it's just not self-fertile.

About the cold, I left a small cutting outside all winter, just covered from the rain & snow and it seems like it survived:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineCaster
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#25842754 - 02/28/19 07:39 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Thats disappointing about probably not being self fertile...

Has anyone had any experience with trying this?/can share?

:smile:

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Caster]
    #25847347 - 03/02/19 11:30 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

I found a tray of delosperma seedlings for a very reasonable price so I'm going to have another try at growing these.  I've had no luck so far.  I've planted kanna, aptenia, and various delospermas before.  But by day my chickens peck them to shreds and by night all the rabbits in the neighborhood come out and munch on whats left.  Critters seems to prefer these kinds of plants over almost anything else.  So I think realistically that these will have to be fenced off with chicken wire to stand a chance.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25847818 - 03/02/19 03:15 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Are they labeled only as 'ice plant', or do you know what species it is? Nice tray nonetheless. Maybe you could grow a few indoors for seed production?

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25847893 - 03/02/19 04:02 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

The label says Delosperma nubigenum.  Its a 12" x 24" tray packed with seedlings, so there are a lot of plants to work with.  I'll probably plant most of them together in one protected grouping and then scatter a few more here and there without protection just to see.

Are the delospermas definitely active?  Should they be fermented and used in a way similar to kanna?  I've seen some mature specimens before and they are lovely plants when in bloom so even if they are just useful as ornamentals thats fine by me.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25848316 - 03/02/19 07:47 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

'Trout's Notes on Some Other Succulents' mentions Delosperma nubigenum:

"From the South-East Cape Province in the Orange Free State, in the cleft of rocks on the top of “Mont aux Sources” at 3200 m. This low decumbent sub-shrub has ascendant, roundish and papillose stems. The leaves are “standing off or erect standing off” and are elongate or elongate-elliptical, acute and narrowed towards the ends or else the leaves are linear and papillose. They bear orange red flowers at the end of the stems. They are two cm in diameter and have short stalks. Our  plants  used  for  assay  were  purchased  at  a  local hardware  store.  They  conformed  to  both  published descriptions  and  photographs."

and

"A weak 5-MeO-DMT band was seen in May 1995 testing."

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25848688 - 03/02/19 11:21 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I also read through this thread and saw that MeanGreen found delosperma snuff to be quite similar to kanna in effects.  That was good to hear.

I ended up planting the whole clump in one spot and fencing it off with chicken wire.  The roots were all tangled together and the plants were pretty delicate still so they were breaking when I tried to separate them.  Hopefully they grow out ok like that.  If not I may try to separate them later on when the plants are sturdier.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25849968 - 03/03/19 05:27 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
I ended up planting the whole clump in one spot and fencing it off with chicken wire.  The roots were all tangled together and the plants were pretty delicate still so they were breaking when I tried to separate them.  Hopefully they grow out ok like that.  If not I may try to separate them later on when the plants are sturdier.

Well seeing they produce an abundance of tiny seeds, I'd say they would grow rather dense in their natural habitat too. Keep us posted about their progress!

These are my surviving S. tortuosum and D. bosseranum plants, kept indoors under artificial light.

OfflineChocolateMilk
Mouth Breather
Male User Gallery

Loc: In yo fridge Flag
    #25849997 - 03/03/19 05:51 PM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Ive had some delosoperma bosseranum seeds germing for about a week and a half, got one that germed yesterday! Will post pics when larger:)

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25850882 - 03/04/19 12:22 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:
Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I also read through this thread and saw that MeanGreen found delosperma snuff to be quite similar to kanna in effects.  That was good to hear.

Please note I only tried Delosperma bosseranum snuff, I probably wouldn't ingest random species unless there are well documented analysis (and even then, the alkaloid profile in Delosperma is know to vary a lot depending on time of the year or even of the day). D. cooperii is one I may try in the future.

Check-out Trout's guide on the genus, "Some other succulents", he even warns against bioassays of unexplored species.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25851016 - 03/04/19 01:55 AM (1 year, 5 months ago)

Thanks for that advice. I cant find any info online of Delosperma nubigenum being bioassayed.  I will probably give it a try at some point if these plants do well.  I'll start very low dose for sure.  I should really try to track down some kanna again now that there is a fenced off area for it.  At least with kanna its safety is known. But maybe nubigenum will have something good to offer too. You never know.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 2
    #25977199 - 05/07/19 08:14 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Happy to be able to confirm that Sceletium is self-fertile, I finally have some pods emerging!
Could never find a picture of Sceletium seed pods anywhere before, so I didn't really know what to expect. I'll post more pics as they mature, but in the meantime here are some pics of an unripe seed pod:

And here's what to look for to know if your pollination attempts were successful, once the flower has dried up the base will swell quite a bit until the pod emerges.

It's not an easy plant to pollinate, you really have to get in there. Could only spot about 5 possible pods on the hundred or so flowers I had over the winter (I probably didn't pollinate all of them though).

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25977486 - 05/07/19 11:52 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Thats great news MeanGreen!  Hopefully all the seed is viable.  You have a green thumb with these plants.

Delosperma nubigenum is the only ice plant/kanna type plant that I can keep alive out of the 5 species I've tried to grow.  Kanna, Aptenia, and other Delospermas all get destroyed by animals, even when I try to protect them.  But the nubigenum is surviving somehow, and actually growing pretty well.

I have some fermenting for a few days now in a ziplock bag in full sunlight.  After a few more days I'll dry it out and see if the nubigenum has any activity.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #25977842 - 05/07/19 03:11 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Nice man, would be interested to hear about your experience with nubigenum. Start small is all I can say, if it doesn't work try more the next day.

I've started whipping up a batch too, mostly kanna with a bit of delosperma bosseranum mixed in. Probably my biggest batch to date, and the first one to include flowers and that much stem ratio. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to taste it before some months as I have taken up an SSRI script recently...

The plant matter, cut into small pieces:

And after some mashing:

And put it in full sun on hot concrete, today was day 1.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

#25978037 - 05/07/19 04:42 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Nice!  How many days do you let it ferment for?  Do you discard the liquid? 

Here is my D. nubigenum on day 3:

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#25978070 - 05/07/19 05:03 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Lovely! Don't discard anything. I usually do about 5 to 7 days of fermentation, mine tends to be pretty much dry by then but the containers I use aren't completely airtight. If there's still some liquid after a week just spread everything on a plate and let it dry in the sun or in the oven with the door ajar.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #25978081 - 05/07/19 05:11 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Ok I'll do that.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll give an update when its all finished.  Please update us on how yours turns out.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#25991674 - 05/14/19 09:23 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Well done, MeanGreen. Persistence pays off! Thank you for sharing those pictures. Have those pods matured in the meantime? What tool do you think is suitable for hand-pollination?

A couple of weeks ago, I repotted my remaining S. tortuosum and D. bosseranum plants. The ones that stayed outdoors during winter sadly didn't make it. They haven't really grown a lot the last couple of months though. I placed them outdoors today since there won't be any night frost anymore.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26080979 - 06/29/19 03:44 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Did those S. tortuosum seed pods eventually mature, MeanGreen?

Sadly, two of the S. tortuosum plants from my previous post didn't make it after placing them outdoors. One of them was growing together in the pot on the right in the picture below. The other plant looks about the same so I don't really have much hope for them. During the winter when I took them indoors, a couple were lost as well. I would like to point out though that I have given away quite a few of the original plants, so not all of them perished..

I'm left with one D. bosseranum and three S. tortuosum plants which have grown quite well the last month. They're growing in a somewhat shady spot. Due to this their branches have thickened and internodes are short.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26081066 - 06/29/19 04:57 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Sorry to hear about your losses, PD :frown:
The survivors are looking good though. That bosseranum should already be producing seed, right? I have smaller ones flowering and it looks like there's a dried seedpod in your pic.

My kanna seedpods have basically done nothing visible since my last post. I think the plant went into dormancy/skeletonization for a couple months and now it's pushing a bunch of new growth. Never really understood the cycles of this plant...
I don't want to rush it and pick an unripe pod so I'll just wait for the pods to dry out on the plant.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26081140 - 06/29/19 05:50 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

The majority of green plant material of the D. bosseranum is actually either a flower or a seed pod. It's not very visible in the picture, but I wasn't really lacking D. bosseranum seeds anyway. Might start a few new pots now that I think of it.

I likewise never understood the growth cycle of S. tortuosum. I remember other shroomerites stating that S. tortuosum was a winter grower in their climate. Mine definitely grow best in summer though and during winter they skeletonize a bit.. Letting the seed pods dry on the plant sounds like the best plan of action indeed. I'm interested to see how they will turn out!

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26087097 - 07/02/19 11:58 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

So I ended up fermenting that delosperma nubigenum for 9 or 10 days and then dried it in the sun.  I smoked a bowl of it and it did nothing.  Maybe its inactive?  Maybe the plants I used were too young to be potent?  If I ever try again and have a different result I'll chime back in with an update.  But at this point it doesnt look too promising.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26088128 - 07/03/19 02:55 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I remember reading in Trout's notes that the time of harvest can affect the potency of S. tortuosum. Might be similar to Delosperma spp. but not a lot is known about these I believe. I can imagine your disappointment though! Did you succeed in protecting the plants from chickens and rabbits? If so, why not grow one of the tried-and-true plants?

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26089059 - 07/04/19 12:07 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Yes the chickens and rabbits are fenced off.  But unfortunately the summer heat is now killing the nubigenum off.  It seems sensitive to heat and sun here in the desert.  Maybe I'll give Kanna a try again.  I just dont seem to have luck with this group of plants.  Maybe next time they'll go in full shade.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26089355 - 07/04/19 06:52 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I'm growing my D. bosseranum and S. tortuosum right next to a low brick wall that's been painted black. That way they don't get a lot of direct sunlight but it's bright (and warm) nonetheless. If you grow them in a pot, you can try different locations and see where they like it best or even grow them in a windowsill.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26089825 - 07/04/19 12:48 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I think in my climate they probably need more shade in the summer compared to most places.  I should probably water them more frequently too.  Right now they get watered twice a week like the cacti.  Should probably give them more but I get nervous about overwatering succulents.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26094614 - 07/07/19 02:16 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I enjoyed reading through this Pdf. It was already published in 2008 so it's most likely not the latest information. Interesting read nonetheless.

Quote:

Although Sceletium tortuosum has so far received the most
attention among the Sceletium species both for research and commercial
development, it is clear that other species of Sceletium were
certainly utilized in the past, including Sceletium emarginatum,
Sceletium expansum, and Sceletium strictum.With further research,
these species may also prove to be suitable candidates for product
development. It is not yet apparent what the relative advantage
would be of one species over another.

Wish I could find other Sceletium spp. seeds!

Edited by Poison Drink (07/07/19 02:21 PM)

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26096565 - 07/08/19 07:31 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Well I just checked my plant today and I found one dried out pod that wasn't dried out 10 days ago.
Left it on the plant, I'll take some pics of it tomorrow and open it. Fingers crossed there's a good amount of seeds per pod.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26096574 - 07/08/19 07:36 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

The following is a sentence from that Pdf I posted:

Quote:

The fruit capsule contains numerous kidney-shaped seeds which are brown to black in color.

So I'm curious how many seeds you will find. Do you reckon it's dependent on how well it has been pollinated?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26096579 - 07/08/19 07:40 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks, that's encouraging. Yeah it probably depends on how well it was pollinated, and I'm pretty sure I have poor pollination technique with this plant. We'll see :shrug:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 2
    #26097401 - 07/09/19 04:41 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Here's the dried pod on the plant:

In my fingers for approximate scale:

Cut the crown, you can start to see how the inside of the pod is arranged:

Cut one side further down, now you can see the compartments each containing several seeds (around 3-5 per compartment):

Got a total of 20 seeds from this pod, not too bad I'm happy with that:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26097582 - 07/09/19 08:55 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks for documenting this! I had never seen a S. tortuosum seed pod. I'm wondering if the pods are water sensitive as well, as D. bosseranum seed pods open up and expose their seeds when made wet. That's quite a good yield as well, twenty seeds!

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26097721 - 07/09/19 10:55 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Nice seed pod MeanGreen!

:billymaythumbup:

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26100520 - 07/10/19 05:13 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys! Good question about the pods being water sensitive, I'll give it a shot with the next one.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26112417 - 07/16/19 08:35 PM (1 year, 27 days ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26120549 - 07/20/19 10:14 PM (1 year, 23 days ago)

Interesting video from a South African farm about propagating Sceletium sp. I should add some stones on top of the soil for my S. tortuosum to crawl over. Maybe my soil mixture is a bit too organic judging from the instructions in the video.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26126624 - 08/08/19 10:40 AM (1 year, 4 days ago)

My succulents are doing good this summer! Maybe I should take some S. tortuosum cuttings by following the South-African farmer's instructions..

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26191607 - 09/16/19 02:05 PM (10 months, 20 days ago)

I took some S. tortuosum cuttings a couple of days ago. The plants were getting a bit lanky, and after the trim they won't take in as much space in my grow chamber once I have to bring them indoors again.

Also, the succulents didn't seem to enjoy the exclusively artificial light all that much last winter. I can find the cuttings a place in front of a window to see if they'll do better there. And if I should loose some of the older plants, I can fall back on those cuttings.

Today I discovered one of the cuttings is flowering, the one in the middle of the picture! Hopefully it will strike root and will continue to flower. And hopefully the plants will grow more flowers as well.

So like the South-African farmer pointed out in the video above, I will give the cuttings the impression that they're about to die and leave them to callous. I was planning to wait for about a week, unless someone recommends a different duration? I know these succulents keep for a long time before losing turgidity..

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26194134 - 09/17/19 05:52 PM (10 months, 19 days ago)

I came to realize that I should have removed the lower leaves of the cuttings. I did just now and will leave them be a while longer for the cuts to callous. This gave me a small amount of plant material which I prepared for fermentation. While handling the cuttings I discovered at least two other flowers. Hopefully this won't delay or prevent the rooting of the cuttings though. Recently I experimented again with commercial Kanna and definitely found it enjoyable, so I will make an effort to expand my succulent collection.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26298754 - 11/04/19 05:42 PM (9 months, 2 days ago)

I took my succulents back indoors again as it was raining days on end and getting fairly cold during the night. Most of the Kanna cuttings made it but I accidentally snapped off some pieces while handling the pots, so I pushed those into the soil hoping they will root without callousing.

The outdoor D. bosseranum had a lot of dried seed pods which I harvested. No idea if it still contains a lot of seeds though, since the pods open up when it rains to disperse the seeds. The indoor D. bosseranum looks lush and green in comparison.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26309775 - 11/09/19 06:52 PM (8 months, 28 days ago)

One of the S. tortuosum plants started flowering again indoors. An oscillating fan might have accomplished pollination..

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26310797 - 11/10/19 04:01 AM (8 months, 28 days ago)

Nice, PD!
It does look like pods are gonna form below those spent flowers, I might give your fan tek a try haha.

Here are some young seedlings from the seeds I harvested on my plant. Check-out the weird one with a single cotyledon.

And my bigger plant, starting to bloom again now:

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by MeanGreen (11/10/19 05:42 AM)

OfflineCaster
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#26321525 - 11/15/19 05:49 AM (8 months, 23 days ago)

Seed pod forming?

nice pictures everyone :smile:

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Caster]
    #26321754 - 11/15/19 09:18 AM (8 months, 22 days ago)

Mine didn't seem to grow to much over the last year

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Johnny Dont] * 1
    #26706934 - 05/30/20 12:51 PM (2 months, 11 days ago)

My S. tortuosum plants have been outdoors for about a month now. I think they might receive a bit too much sun because the leaves are yellowish, even though they just receive a couple of hours of direct morning sun. I only have a very sunny terrace available, otherwise I would have put them somewhere more shady. These are hard grown plants, that's why they're rather small for their age. But they'll manage.

The D. bosseranum has survived winter indoors as well. I don't think these plants will get a lot bigger than this.

I planted some S. tortuosum cuttings and also sowed some D. bosseranum seeds in the cacti grafts planter as cover crops. These are growing much faster than my hard grown plants because they get organic fertilizer on a regular basis and get less direct sun. The S. tortuosum noticeably grows more weedy.

I aquired some other Sceletium spp. seeds about half a year ago and started growing them at the start of winter. They supposedly are winter growers, but in these parts of the world they stay mostly dormant. The seedlings had a growth spurt the last couple of weeks. I also germinated the remaining seeds a month or two ago, so there are a couple younger seedlings in between.

Only one S. emarcidum seed had germinated, but it's the fastest growing one. Maybe it being alone in the pot might have something to do with it as well. It has wider leafs compared to S. tortuosum.

S. subvelutinum has long, narrow leaves.

The next two are variants of S. tortuosum I believe. Sceletium sp. SB 661 and S. joubertii.

And lastly S. nova. Maybe this is a variant of S. tortuosum as well. A lot is unclear in the taxonomy of these succulents.

I also ordered S. rigidum seeds, but sadly none germinated.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26707303 - 05/30/20 04:51 PM (2 months, 11 days ago)

Beautiful work Poison Drink!  Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Offlinehandeloh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26736173 - 06/11/20 09:42 AM (1 month, 30 days ago)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I started with bosseranum this year, inspired by your tests :thumbup:

How did you get your hands on these Sceletium spp? Are you going to do assays on them as well?

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26832041 - 07/19/20 09:01 AM (23 days, 23 hours ago)

Most of the outdoor S. tortuosum are flowering. I wonder if there's a native insect capable of pollinating them. I did already spot some activity so fingers crossed.

These D. bosseranum are still chugging along. I believe they're about two years old.

The cacti grafts planter ground cover is doing great as well.

And the various Sceletium spp. are still indoors in a mini greenhouse. I'm thinking about taking some cuttings and separating them into their own pot. That way I can try to slowly acclimate (some of) them to outdoor conditions.

Anyone else growing any of these succulents this year?

InvisibleShroomAnon
Old head

Loc: NW Eng Flag
    #26844774 - 07/25/20 04:55 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

:camping:

--------------------
na

InvisibleShroomAnon
Old head

Loc: NW Eng Flag
    #26844785 - 07/25/20 05:01 PM (17 days, 15 hours ago)

hi PD,
they look lovely. hope to have few nice kanna meself in future

like this fella vids. NE accents are v calming

--------------------
na

OfflineRatsboggleBiologic
Full-Time Lab Rat
Other

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: ShroomAnon]
    #26852664 - 07/29/20 11:22 PM (13 days, 9 hours ago)

Great pictures here, Poison Drink. Can't wait to get my paws on some Sceletium seeds.

--------------------
This message is brought to you by The Rats of Ratsboggle Biological Laboratories and in no way, shape, or form, represents the ideas or intentions of the governing Institutional Review Board. Complaints can be filed at your local sewer-mail system, or the dumpster located at the rear of The Lab. For questions and positive-reward donations, please contact The Rats directly by email or PM. Thank you!

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Official Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna), Delosperma bosseranum and other Sceletium spp. Thread [Re: RatsboggleBiologic]
    #26873362 - 08/10/20 03:33 PM (1 day, 17 hours ago)

At the request of some friendly shroomerites, I have changed the title of this thread so that more people will be able to find it and share cultivation experiences.

I believe some of my Kanna flowers might have been pollinated, as there's a bulging under the withered flower. Last year the same thing happened indoors, where they only had an oscillating fan blowing on them. Sadly nothing came of it. Now the plants are outdoors and could have been pollinated by insects, so fingers crossed!

@RatsboggleBiologic: It shouldn't be too hard finding Kanna seeds. I think the shelf life of these seeds isn't too bad, so if they're still somewhat fresh, you should be able to germinate them! I vaguely remember keeping some seeds for half a year and still having some pop up. And they were bought from a vendor so who knows how old they were before I got them.

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Official Sceletium tortuosum (Kanna), Delosperma bosseranum and other Sceletium spp. Thread [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26874573 - 08/11/20 09:44 AM (22 hours, 50 minutes ago)

I hope you get some seeds there Poison Drink!  Thanks for continuing to update this thread with new info.  I love to see the progress with your plants and to hear what new insights you're learning about them.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hydroponics Supplies, Perlite, pH Test Strips, Portable Greenhouse, Psychotria Viridis, San Pedro, Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden