Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Portable Greenhouse

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum
    #19025237 - 10/24/13 01:55 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

I've been growing Delosperma bosseranum for some years, but these plants are the first ones that have survived the winter and flowered. It's quite unexpected because they never looked very healthy. As you can see in the last picture, they consist mostly of bare stem with a few green leaves at the top. This is probably due to them only getting around two hours of direct sunlight during summer, and they're also grown solely in potting soil. The Sceletium tortuosum has a lot of sand in the soil mix, which seems to be better.

Now I'm wondering, are those developing seeds in the third picture, or is it just the flower? It's not clear because the plant went from a sort of flower bud directly to what can be seen in the first picture. There are only two flowers so pollination wouldn't be very evident, especially because it's autumn (fewer insects).

I think the Sceletium tortuosum does a lot better. I've been growing these for about half a year and they already have lots of offshoots and are growing much faster compared to the Delosperma bosseranum.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLSoares
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portugal Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #19026142 - 10/24/13 04:45 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, those are fruits and seeds. If you let them, they'll colonize every pot in your house. :wink:

--------------------
Z. in sunny Lisbon, Portugal
Cactus grower particularly fond of north american miniatures.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/

Sowing cacti - my way!
Random pictures of my collection.
Photographing cacti, Z's way.

Offlinesidvivius
south narvalo
Male User Gallery

Loc: south of France
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: LSoares]
    #19036531 - 10/26/13 06:48 PM (6 years, 9 months ago)

yeah, delosperma are hardy and grow everywhere !! sceletium is really hardy too if kept dry ! mine do well in south France outside (but away from water)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: sidvivius]
    #19039057 - 10/27/13 03:29 AM (6 years, 9 months ago)

Great to hear I'll have some new seeds for next year. When should I harvest them? I think some of the seeds have fallen out already because there are a few seedlings in the pot.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink]
    #19859026 - 04/17/14 11:03 AM (6 years, 3 months ago)

It's spring again and the Sceletium tortuosum has outgrown it's mini greenhouse. During the winter months the plants didn't get a lot of sunlight so the side shoots have stretched out quite a bit. I want to take them out of the greenhouse, but I wonder how I should go about doing this.

I don't want to destroy the lid so making more and more holes in it every day isn't an option. I also once killed some succulent plants -I believe it was Delosperma bosseranum- by immediately taking them out of a greenhouse into ambient humidity. They looked fine for the first couple of days but eventually still shriveled and died. Maybe this happened because succulents can retain water more efficiently?

Should I take them out for half an hour at first and increase the time exposed to ambient humidity every day? Will I be able to know if I'm going too fast? Any other suggestions? Should I do it when it's dark or in diffused or direct sunlight?

I can quote myself from half a year ago by saying the Delosperma bosseranum still looks like they consist mostly of bare stem with a few green leaves at the top. I wonder why they don't thrive in the same environment the Sceletium tortuosum seems to be loving. I harvested the seeds of the two pods they produced, and will probably sow them again in a cactus soil with lots of sand in it. These ones are growing in regular potting soil.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: Poison Drink]
    #20266935 - 07/13/14 03:50 PM (6 years, 28 days ago)

The Delosperma bosseranum is flowering again.

Some of the succulents are finally starting to grow side shoots. Also, new seedlings are emerging even though I didn't plant any. Some seeds must've dropped from the pod the previous time.

Invisibleferrel_human
stone eater
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: Poison Drink]
    #20267010 - 07/13/14 04:11 PM (6 years, 28 days ago)

I had horrible luck with sceletium but yours look fabulous poison.:super:

--------------------
Nature is my church and walking through it is gospel. It tells no lies and reveals all to those who look, and listen, closely.
-Karode

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum flowering again [Re: ferrel_human]
    #20267184 - 07/13/14 05:07 PM (6 years, 28 days ago)

To be honest, the Sceletium tortuosum doesn't look that great at the moment. Lost a lot of leaves and they're not growing that vigorous anymore. Some of the larger specimens are growing side shoots though. I'm still keeping them in an improvised propagator because I didn't acclimatize them yet.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22018783 - 07/30/15 10:38 AM (5 years, 11 days ago)

Last year's Sceletium tortuosum plants didn't survive. Fortunately, I had some leftover seeds which I planted a couple months ago. Thinking they wouldn't germinate anymore, I was surprised to see one seedling after another emerging.

The few Delosperma bosseranum flowers I had gave me plenty of tiny seeds. Sadly, one of my two pots didn't survive the colder months, so I decided to grow them again. It's impossible to sow these seeds one at a time considering their size, so the pots inevitably get overcrowded. The pots with only a few seedlings would grow better, so yesterday I decided to thin a couple of them out and see how the remaining seedlings react.

I wish I had sterilized my soil mixture though. The upper sand layer of some pots has a kind of green contamination growing on it, probably due to high humidity when they were still covered with cling wrap. Is this going to have a negative impact on the plants, and if so, how could I treat this?

Over a week ago, I also sowed some Ephedra sinica seeds, which are now starting to germinate. To maintain a high humidity for the non-germinated seeds, I decided to let the seedlings stick through a ventilation hole.

OfflineStupendous-Yappi
Anomaly XB-311394
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22019479 - 07/30/15 01:59 PM (5 years, 11 days ago)

What kind of soil are you using with Sceletium tortuosum? Have you been giving it fertilzer?

--------------------

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Stupendous-Yappi]
    #22019920 - 07/30/15 03:43 PM (5 years, 11 days ago)

I'm using a mixture of cactus soil, potting soil and sand. I have never given them any fertilizer.

Offlinedirectexperience
Broadcastmindfi
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #22023580 - 07/31/15 11:04 AM (5 years, 10 days ago)

Anyone have a good link for how to grow these puppies? temp, humidity, soil?
and how do yall process them for use, Iv seen snuffs online as well as just making tea.
Has anyone successfully grown and used this succulent for shamanic purposes??

--------------------
:mushroom2:
http://www.egodeath.com/WassonEdenTree.htm Mushrooms in religion Wasson
http://terencemckenna.com/tmbib/index.php -Mckenna Bibliography
https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/ayahuasca/ayahuasca_info11.shtml yage analogs/list of maoi plants and dmt plants at active levels

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: directexperience]
    #22107403 - 08/18/15 06:13 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I'm growing them in a window sill which receives direct sunlight only a short period of time in the morning. I also thinned a couple of D. bosseranum pots out, and just for the heck of it, I planted some intact seedlings in a jar on my roof terrace. The jar was full of old mushroom spawn (woodchips) with only a bit of old potting soil on top. During those days it was quite hot, with temperatures easily reaching 30°C (86F). But they survived even in full sunlight for most of the day! A botanical garden I used to visit also had Delosperma spp. growing in full sun. 

There's another interesting thing I forgot to mention in my earlier post. One of my older D. bosseranum jars died during the colder months, but as I was cleaning out the jar, I noticed the roots had formed a kind of tubers. I seem to recall the roots could be fermented before usage to get rid of the oxalic acid. D. bosseranum is reported to be quite active, but I sadly have no experience with it. The roots were already too dried out to be used.

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #22112238 - 08/19/15 04:30 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I know I've read somewhere before that when growing kanna, they form rhizomes underground and you can dig them up in the winter and keep them dry and replant them. I wonder if you trim up those and replant them if they would grow...

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: cowsRmeat]
    #22112913 - 08/19/15 06:33 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

cowsRmeat said:
I know I've read somewhere before that when growing kanna, they form rhizomes underground and you can dig them up in the winter and keep them dry and replant them. I wonder if you trim up those and replant them if they would grow...

No, they weren't viable anymore. It took me a while before I got about cleaning out the pot, so those rhizomes were all withered and the interior had rotted away. Usually, D. bosseranum plants survive the winter indoors, so there's no need to dig them up, but it would be a great experiment to try one day.

InvisiblecowsRmeat
Don't step on the MomeRaths
 User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #22117888 - 08/20/15 08:00 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

That's what I would have thought about the kanna too, so I couldn't figure why they recommended to dig them up... :shrug:

--------------------
One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
'Which road do I take?' she asked.
'Where do you want to go?' was his response.
'I don't know', Alice answered.
'Then', said the cat, 'it doesn't matter.'

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: cowsRmeat] * 1
    #22138675 - 08/25/15 05:36 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Both succulents are growing steadily. I am however a bit worried about the green and white 'contamination' growing on top of the soil. I didn't think about sterilizing the soil mixture before planting the seeds. What is this, and could this harm the seedlings along the way?

Invisibled0urd3n
Just call me "D"

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: Poison Drink]
    #23382579 - 06/26/16 01:36 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

How are your plants doing? Still chuggin?

--------------------

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum [Re: d0urd3n]
    #23383485 - 06/26/16 12:03 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

I believe your water or soil has a high mineral content, and I can think of amendments, which might be added to cacti mix, leaving a white residue like this -- for instance, diatomaceous earth or rock dust.

I don't think it's mold, because, in my experience, any succulent should have rotted under the dank conditions, in which mold grows.

But, everyone has an opinion...

Nice profile pic, btw.

OfflineLeaves
RingingCedar
Male

Loc: SouthofOz
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 2
    #23741220 - 10/16/16 02:26 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I've been growning Sceletium tortuosum/varians/emarcidum & many Delosperma species for about 10 years & I have taken hundreds of cuttings & tried them in different spots & what I have found is that in a wide/shallow terracotta pot put in a location that will get morning sun till about 11am (a bit of late afternoon sun is ok), allowed to completely dry out between waters & when the plants are growing fast (up to flowering time) give them a half strength feed (20ml/9L) of something like Maxicrop seaweed fertilizer. The most productive locations for me have been on a veranda that gets sun until 11:30 then roof block direct sun till 2:30-3:00pm. I also found when planted in the ground in full sun they are healthier if a bed of white rock/quartz is spread around where they are going to spread out onto. They take about 3 years before they have much potency & that varies considerably with the seasons, in my area (sub-tropical queensland/australia) Sceletium sp are most potent just when 1st flowers are opening (October/Spring). Taking cuttings once a fortnight works when incase of loses due to over watering/long rain spells. Some pics of various active mesembs.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Portable Greenhouse

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden