Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Minding Your Own Business
    #1901742 - 09/10/03 12:26 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

LET'S REVIVE AN OLD TRAIT
by Charley Reese

You might have noticed that, other than one column pointing out that Arnold Schwarzenegger, a successful businessman, is qualified to be a governor, I haven't written anything about the California recall election.

That's because I don't live in California. And for all of us who don't live in California, it's none of our business.

Minding our own business and not sticking our noses into other people's business is an old American trait now out of style. We need to bring it back. It's a very good rule that can save us all a lot of trouble.

We have become a nation of busybodies, meddling in affairs both domestic and foreign that don't concern us. I've seen environmentalists who don't even live in a town appear before a town council and attempt to tell the elected officials what they ought to do in their town. People are always trying to tell property owners what they can and can't do with their own property.

The federal government, naturally, is the worst busybody, sticking its nose not only into every aspect of our lives but also into the lives of people in foreign countries. This is the most dangerous form of meddling possible and has already cost us hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars while not improving the world one whit.

Old John Quincy Adams had it right when he said of America: "Wherever the standard of freedom and independence has been or shall be unfurled, there will her heart, her benedictions and her prayers be. But she goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

That was the traditional American foreign policy ? armed neutrality. The imperialists slandered that policy by calling it isolationism, though it never was that. It was just the plain, sensible decision to mind our own business and not get involved in other people's quarrels and wars. We spent thousands of American lives in Korea, which remains divided, and in Vietnam, which went communist anyway. Now we are wasting American lives in Iraq, not to mention billions of dollars, when that country should have been no concern of ours at all.

The idea of intervening in the internal affairs of other sovereign nations is both stupid and hypocritical. It is stupid because we always lose more than we gain. It is hypocritical because we are far too cowardly to intervene in the internal affairs of really powerful nations. Despite all this hogwash about Saddam Hussein, the greatest mass murderers of the 20th century were the governments of the Soviet Union and communist China. They murdered millions. Did we launch a humanitarian war against them? Heck, no.

Even super-belligerent, "Bring 'em on" George Bush is dancing delicately around North Korea, because North Korea, unlike Iraq, has the military power to make us pay a high price for a war with it. One of the main reasons we went to war against Iraq was because we knew we could roll over the Iraqis. It was a political stunt to make the world think we are more powerful militarily than we actually are.

How much better it would be if we told the world, "We wish you well and we desire fair trade with all, but we will not interfere in your internal affairs, nor will we participate in any way with your quarrels with other nations or with your own people."

The fact is, our own country is falling apart, both morally and structurally. The stupid government in Washington is trying to build a world empire from a rotting base. Our own abortion mills have murdered more people than Saddam Hussein could have ever hoped to kill. Our own infrastructure is getting old and dilapidated while our emperor has committed us to rebuilding Iraq's infrastructure.

Until we relearn the valuable lesson of minding our own business, the future of this wannabe empire will be dicey, to say the least.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: Autonomous]
    #1901788 - 09/10/03 12:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

amen

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1901817 - 09/10/03 12:43 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Minding your own business is something all need to learn, not just Americans.

Nice article.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1902022 - 09/10/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

For the most part, I agree.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1902058 - 09/10/03 01:59 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sure, the infrastructures going to shit but there are more millionaires than 30 years ago and the corporate heads are paying themselves whatever they want.

Minding your own business only affects the average american, not corporate profit levels.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1902074 - 09/10/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

'Minding our own business' worked out well for us in 1941, didn't it.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: shakta]
    #1902130 - 09/10/03 02:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i think we should always mind our own business but if someone does attack we should retaliate in such a crushing way that from that point on attacking us would be considered suicide

--------------------
uneasy1

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: uneasyone]
    #1902140 - 09/10/03 02:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree. Our recent history has shown people that we won't do anything though. That is why bin Laden thought he could get away with what he did. Since Clinton did nothing to him, he figured Bush wouldn't either. He was obviously wrong.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1902150 - 09/10/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Bin Laden didn't think anything of the sort. That's whey they killed the Northern Alliance leader the day before sep 11.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1902151 - 09/10/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:

What do you mean? Like an executive order allowing Americans to take up arms for another country, thus permitting U.S. men to fight the Japanese on behalf of the Chinese (Claire Chennault's First American Volunteer Group - the 'Flying Tigers'). Like the Lend Lease Act, of March 11, 1941? Like Roosevelt ordering a complete embargo on all trade with Japan on July 26, 1941?

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1902162 - 09/10/03 02:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I see your point, but you know as well as I do that had America gotten into the war before Japan attacked us, we would have been better off. Churchill learned the same lesson with Hitler, did he not?

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
    #1902830 - 09/10/03 06:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Quote:

shakta said:

What do you mean? Like an executive order allowing Americans to take up arms for another country, thus permitting U.S. men to fight the Japanese on behalf of the Chinese (Claire Chennault's First American Volunteer Group - the 'Flying Tigers'). Like the Lend Lease Act, of March 11, 1941? Like Roosevelt ordering a complete embargo on all trade with Japan on July 26, 1941?

*claps*

Thank you. You put a smile on my face.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: domite]
    #1904019 - 09/11/03 04:41 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see how America or any other western country can "mind their own business" certain intervention is neccessary.

Quote:

I think he means sitting back and do nothing has had terrible conquences before and will most likely again....

America ignored the rise of facism in Europe and Asia (although FDR was strongly in favour of entering the war, sadly the American public weren't convinced it was their fight) and it led to Pearl Harbour...

America ignored terrorism and at times even supported it until boom 9/11....

I think there could be a slight pattern emerging here.....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1904400 - 09/11/03 08:18 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

great article! now THERE is a true old fashioned conservative.

st0nedphucker: America ignored the rise of facism in Europe and Asia (although FDR was strongly in favour of entering the war, sadly the American public weren't convinced it was their fight) and it led to Pearl Harbour...

America ignored terrorism and at times even supported it until boom 9/11....

I think there could be a slight pattern emerging here.....

you could make the case that unnecessary intervention in the middle east is what lead to 9/11. if we didn't meddle in Isreal and in Gulf War I, 9/11 would not have happened.

Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1904406 - 09/11/03 08:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

you could make the case that unnecessary intervention in the middle east is what lead to 9/11. if we didn't meddle in Isreal and in Gulf War I, 9/11 would not have happened.

I agree.

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #1904449 - 09/11/03 09:01 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I agree as well. We should have just let the Israelis be wiped off the planet. :rolleyes:

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

#1904582 - 09/11/03 10:01 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i don't think we would have to worry about the israelis being wiped out remember the six day war they can take care of things pretty well on their own

--------------------
uneasy1

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: uneasyone]
    #1904694 - 09/11/03 10:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The only reason that is true is because of our intervention.

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
    #1904837 - 09/11/03 12:09 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

you need to study some history..

do you think we should intervene whenever the security of another country is threatened?

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minding Your Own Business [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1905054 - 09/11/03 01:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

You are the one who needs to study bud. My statement above is 100% fact. The Israelis would not have been able to win the war without our support. Without our support Israel would not exist.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion