Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

How are new helpful plants found?
    #1901723 - 09/10/03 12:20 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Note: This is not a post about consuming an unidentified plant. That is certainly a bad idea.

There must be plenty of plants and chemicals in plants that have yet to be discovered. Obivously people used to have their methods for knowing what's posionous and what's not. Whether it was to watch which plants the animals eat, or sampling a small part of a plant. Currently, it seems like it's pharmectical companies which are isolating and exploring plants. How exactly do they go about experimenting while maintaining safety?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: How are new helpful plants found? [Re: Twirling]
    #1902667 - 09/10/03 05:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Currently, the way the pharm companies are doing it is just trying to isolate chemicals from plants, and mass produce synthetics of the isolates, that have been used as entheogens/medicines etc.. by certain cultures that have not yet been analyzed for market pharmaceutical value. There's that one "cactus" that everyone talks about periodically from here that helps with weight gain or is some sort of stimulant, currently the name escapes me .But i believe that's being investigated by Roche or Pfizer or Merck or some company.

Otherwise the other way things are done is by investigating relatives of known actives/entheogens/medicinals. There hasn't been too much discovery lately of brand new unknown plant entheogens. There is usually always some line of reasoning/investigation that leads to new discoveries now a days than say the finding and mixing of ayahuasca brews. Nothing is really done in a vaccuum anymore.

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #1902689 - 09/10/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

They also like to use rats to determine things like LD.50. That have really no bearing on a human, its just a nice stab in the dark.

--------------------

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: How are new helpful plants found? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1903028 - 09/10/03 11:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Very interesting. That was sort of my impression. I think salvia and sceletium have potential, but it would have to be in the right hands and done with wisdom.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #1905722 - 09/11/03 03:44 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

googlesearch:
wade davis
tim plowman
richard evans schultes
richard spruce
~
a science called ethnobotany (asking the tribal shaman or the village curandera "what is this particular plant used for?" )

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: How are new helpful plants found? [Re: gnrm23]
    #1908901 - 09/12/03 10:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

well duh!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Ayahuasca, Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden