Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: Snobrdr311]
    #1900799 - 09/10/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

TC, 500 g wet (1 qt substrate used), second flush was about 100 g wet. rH 100% for 20 min and slowly went down to about 70% over 3 hours then back to 100%.

In the end I would have to say each person has their own methods, however somethings are better for certain applications. I have had bad luck recently with the USH (very hard to control and find the "sweet spot" when constantly changing container size and amount) and have moved to a bubbler type system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1900920 - 09/10/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Anonymous

Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1901239 - 09/10/03 05:24 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LiL_KuSsH said:
"Just about 99% of anyone who posts on here knows the casings will produce about 40 times more."

DUDE..... Just because a casing is 7 lbs doenst meant theres 7 lbs of substrate. lets just say were talking BRF. The casing WILL NOT Produce more then the cakes... more substrate using cakes = MORE MUSHROOMS! Now when you wonder into straw and such...things change.

NOW....... were wondering off subject...... BACK TO THE COOL MIST VS. PMP! 

while you were all bitching i snuck in and ate em all..burp :nut: 

Offlinewhitesox
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: ]
    #1901402 - 09/10/03 07:40 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Let's not use the word entrainment ever again when it applies to spaces that are smaller than a fucking warehouse ok.I have read TMC very thoroughly, and he says for smaller spaces like aquariums and shit like that,enough air is exchanged in just opening the fucking lid once a day.So,a cool mist or an ultrasonic on a timer will work just great.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1901513 - 09/10/03 08:37 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ExtravagantDream said:

:heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump:nice pic.  :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump: :heartpump:

let?s see how long this goes on. clash of the titans - which is better, king kong or godzilla? answer - who really cares. they could both fuck your house by sitting on it. ditto both methods discussed here - both work, both have advantages and disadvantages depending on your needs/options/budget/preferences/growing conditions. try both!

debate on, but play nice  :kiss:   

--------------------
buh

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: shirley knott]
    #1901621 - 09/10/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1901983 - 09/10/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

LiL_KuSsH said:
But I Will never agree that a one cake casing and a cake of the same substrate would produce the same.

That has been his argument through this entire thread.

Quote:

Im sorry. Cakes r nice because u dont have to break them up or anything. just plop them in the chamber and BLAM one to two weeks you got fruits. with a casing.... u break it up.... case it.... incubate it.... and then fruit it.... at least a another week or two of waiting! :wink: 

That is a bit of a stretch. I don't think casing them adds 'at least another week or two.'

OfflineBatFly
captain obvious

#1902077 - 09/10/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

misinformation? patching not relating? in any testing of a hypothesis one must find and use as many controls as they can in order to make the variable(s) be what they want to test. on pmp vs. cool mist, you said you were talking about casings mostly. so you must recognize that patching is a HUGE variable that you must make into a control. so without it you will get uneven flushes, possibly overlay, and nowhere near the same results from one casing to another. rendering you test useless, so it does relate.

and for the name calling, i never called you a name. i said you're dumb for... that's and adjective. something that describes something else. a name is a word(s) set to distinguish someone from the others. now if i said hey dummy, or the dumb one, that be a name, but i said you're dumb for...
also the fact that i said for after dumb implies set conditions for this perticular instance of dumbness. you're dumb for arguing. that doesn't mean you are dumb all the time, or even very much at all. but this instance you are. what's the point in arguing something if it has no real end.

and the dog metaphor is just that, a metephor. it, once again is not calling you names. i did not say you were a dog. i asked if anyone has even seen the caracteristics of a dog backed into a corner. hoping they'd realize you seem to be doing the same on a comparison. most everyone in here has said they favored the pmp. on a ratings scale that means cool mist is loosing the "better" contest.

kush where's that link of you poll for the pmp vs. cool mist? what were the results of that? that's the only real way to see which is "better". just like television shows or radio, it's all about the ratings..

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1902242 - 09/10/03 01:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...&PHPSESSID=

That is the link to a post I originated about constructing a fully-automated terrarium. Since I have no use for cakes, as most experienced people would agree, it is in the best interest of the cultivator to construct something that provides ideal conditions for casings, or bulk(cased). I believe that the system that I "thought up" fulfils all of the requirements. The four "bubbler" hoses (those in the mason jars) put out a large amount of humidity, while the air wands under the perlite release ""fresh" air from the bottom up, thus mixing "fresh" air with the CO2 rich air that settles near the bottom. Maybe a small circular fan could be installed to blow directly on the casings (or maybe a few incehs above). This would circulate the humid air around the casings, causing more o2 to be absorbed.

Thoughts?

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Offlinearex7tt
crunk
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: Demiurge]
    #1902551 - 09/10/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Demiurge said:
Why do you guys have to bitch so much?  :stoned: 

amen 

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

#1902611 - 09/10/03 03:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

LiL_KuSsH -
"I Will never agree that a one cake casing and a cake of the same substrate would produce the same."

Why not? They have the same nutrients and therefor the same amount of nurishment for a quantity that will in turn be the same. Casings have a much larger area and are able to supply water much better allowing more to grow at once but given time, a cake can produce just as much.

Alien -
"For casings, a tub, a loose lid, some air exchange, thats all you need, and its simple.

That statment is quite over simplyfied, at the least a casing requires proper amount of air exchange in junction with various things.

Thanks to those that enjoyed my picture, it was my pleasure in more respects than one.

InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: shakta]
    #1902631 - 09/10/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1902694 - 09/10/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

There is still a wait.. the time for mycelium to switch tracks and go... ohh it's time to form pins now. This time varies with conditions/strains/substrains/If it's a full moon, and can take equally along with cakes or casings. The added time of casing is approximately equal to the time of incubation.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #1903178 - 09/10/03 09:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I would personally like to appoligise to Anno and whoever elses name I brought into this discussion. I used links to their grows that were used as examples to back up the points I was trying to make. Your names and work don't deserve to be included in a thread with such lame flaming and insults, I tend to think it's kind of disrespectful. I started this debate to do just that, debate and discuss matters related to cultivation in a civil, calm and grown up manner. Since the time I started this some people have not agreed with what i've said, and turned this thread into total negativity, which makes the whole point of debating uesless. In the end no results come when all most people do is bitch and throw insults out. I am somewhat guilty of this as well, and regret allowing myself to drop to that level. It's just frustrating when someone can't grasp the simple concept of casing and why it allows for mushrooms to grow healther and to a higher yield. I lost my paitence and appoligise to the Shroomery for it.

I will no longer post on this topic until the flaming, bitching and childish arguing come to a halt.

OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

#1903535 - 09/10/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well, seeing as the thread has come to a halt all together, there really is no bitching. It is very easy to misunderstand or misinterpret over the Internet.

Back to the topic, I'm not sure if there is anything else to say, looks as if in the end it depends on preference. I would like to ask for those who are using either a cool mist or PMP setup to describe their conditions and say something that they don't like about their setup. We have to stop being stubborn and admit to your setup's flaws. Besides, this could help with others making suggestions for fixing problems.

If we are honest about this this thread can become much more constructive.

OfflineSnobrdr311
outdoorenthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #1903564 - 09/10/03 11:07 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, well the whole idea for me with this thread was to prove that the PMP outperforms a cool mist setup when growing bulk (casings) related to max yields. I still don't believe it does, just because Cubensis only needs a fresh air exchange once an hour or once every two hours, this can be done in 5-10 minutes time so the humidity can stay at 95% or higher. Also, the floor area being taken up and covered by the casing bottoms causes the PMP to not work properly, there's no area for the fresh and humid air to come from when it's being covered.

OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

#1903684 - 09/11/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

From my experience I would have to say that PMP and Cool Mist are probably equal in terms of applications with smaller casings. But I do prefer the Cool Mist because once you decide to go bulk, which is the next logical step, you can adapt the Cool Mist more easily to suite your needs. In terms of the casings vs. cakes question, I have to say that a casing is better. A cake and a cased cake do have the same nutritional matter to work with, being brown rice flower. But in my experience I think it is easier to rehydrate a casing. Casings can also prepare you for casing bulk materials. So for it's water and educational value, I vote for casings.

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: EthanEdwards]
    #1903699 - 09/11/03 12:09 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

also, once you make a casing all you have to do is mist, harvest, and patch. no mess and hassle dunking between flushes. and even if you must dunk, you can always dunk your casing after a flush or two.

BF

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1903763 - 09/11/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ok here?s the thing about the Pod that make?s it different then cool mist. The whole timer thing. That isn?t the way it works outdoors there is constand flow of air. That is what the pod does.

Now if you really want info on airexchange you can get the book or take the class or make a living at it like I do. Here is a good one if your really into the subject.

So if you wanna say there the same there not. Really doesn?t take much research.

Now for the casing thing, I haven?t been able to fill it enough to stop humidity. In my post lazy mans tek or some crap like that I broke up enough cakes to fill the bottom of the pod and just threw verm on top. (Hey I said lazy man?s tek) and it held humidity. The biggest complaint I get is how to lower the humidity for casings and I?ve posted this before but here we go.

Put two holes in the top of the chamber and put a screw threw two pieces of rubber then mount so that they can slide over the holes. By making the holes bigger or smaller you can control the humidity to the exact percent. ( From about 80 up )

Now for the cost of the geolite and hydroton ( I know it?s a rip off ) you can use lava rock and get the same results and have enough for acouple of pods for 5 bucks. ( Plus you get cool colors, stupid but you can if you want. ) It?s not the pump that ads the humidity but the rocks or geolite.

What if your at work and the power goes out. The pod holds over 90% humidity for days without the pump on. Will a coolmist do that? Ask the people in the east if power goes out, or in the west in Cali for that matter.

I know a cool mist works most of my pics are from mine. I only came up with the pod early this year I used a cool mist for years I know how they work.

Here?s one that was fully auto. The cool mist ran 27/7 and a ultra sonic came on every few hours to take the place of fanning. I didn?t like the timer cause of temp changes in the larger chambers. ( I hope you all can see how this happens.)

So I?ll say for a small set up a pod is better, for big set ups mist is cause it is way easier to set up. With the pod you set it and forget it. A mist is a little more work.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Cool Mist setups VS. Poor Mans Pod [Re: Magash]
    #1903777 - 09/11/03 12:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Oh the casing thing thing, well here's my take. Casing cakes really doesn't do much more then rolling the cake in verm. Kind of though to look at casing BRF as a real casing but when you start to talk straw and horse or cow shit well different story all together. Cased rye berrys or birdseed different story all together. Both methods kick ass. Straw and shit huge yeilds with a little more work. ( worth the work )

BRF is the starting point but it can produce but lets be real it ain't no straw and horse shit casing period.

Easy = BRF
Huge yeilds and a little more work (not much more really) = Straw and horse crap

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate