Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemajik_monkey
Always Learning
Loc: machu picchu
custom bags for AA 1925X sterilizer?
    #1900627 - 09/10/03 01:00 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I know this isnt quite advanced, but I thought people here would know better....

MY foaf was thinking about getting custom made bags for her 1925X and I wanted to know: good idea, or bad idea? She wants to optimize every sterilization run she makes.

What do you think sterilization times would go up to?

Thanks in advance,
-MM

--------------------
There are more important things in life than just being really, really, ridiculously good looking. -Zoolander

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegodfetish
Stranger
Re: custom bags for AA 1925X sterilizer? [Re: majik_monkey]
    #1901130 - 09/10/03 05:07 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

That's similar in size to mine. I'm currently using a 27.5 quart stainless canner built like the All-American ones, since my 41qt blew it's guage and I'm too lazy to order another =) The smaller works fine for me though right now.

I can do 7 or 10 depending on material and necessary PC time, rather full(1.5qt), medium sized autoclavable bags or 4 of the large ones(3qt material). This is without having to "stuff" anything into the PC but includes laying bags on their side about 2 inches below the lip to simulate your PC. I'm sure I could do more, but always better to be safe than sorry...more material means less water and the last thing I want is a PC full of scorched plastic, warping lids, and loss of substrate, casing, or lab supplies.

I don't have the spiffy inner container though to fit the 27.5, so I use 3 layers of thick tshirt-like material, which might give me slightly more bag room.

I'd say purchase 10-20 of the cheap bags and give it a try. The cost of either manufacturing or having manufactured your own bags might be a bit extreme, especially foodsave style bags which are just melting on me. I just can't see the cost-to-benefit ratio when medium bags, which will hold twice as much as a qt jar and allow twice the material to be done, are readily available at very reasonable prices.

If you were thinking about getting bags that are even larger than the "large" size, I would advise against it. The incubation time will get too long and either contaminents will invade even a filter patch, or the time needed will just be insane. If you got 3 months to wait for a 5 gallon bag of dung to colonize though, have at it?

Conversely, if you were thinking of smaller bags, the medium bags can always be shortened without the added expense of custom bags.

For PCing of large bags, I run 30 minutes at 17psi, for smaller, the standard 17psi for 20min hasn't failed me yet. So, the time really doesn't change much whether you're doing half-pints or gallons since most of our substrates are so "breathable"...wood chips or other heavy/dense materials are the only reason to really fluctuate your time beyond the standards. One hour and 15 minutes @ 15 psi for woodchips, large cob, dowel plugs and oyster logs at a much lower 14psi for 2 hours seems better for me then transfering into bags and PCing again for 30 minutes or so mainly to sterilize the outer shell and bag material...

As I do not prepare my grains and other substrates in a one step process I can't really comment on anything beyond the above. I'm a firm believer in preparing materials in advance, allowing endospore germination over the next 24-36 hours, then PCing for the final phase before innoculation.

gf

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology